What's new

"Hippie-like" communities in the United States

Nannymouse

@Plookerkingjon, if you were thinking about 'here', i doubt that you would like it, colder than most 'civilized' areas of Alaska. Need to bobcat snow from one mile of dirt road, just to get to the mailbox. Five miles to pavement. Would need pretty decent plumbing/electrical/woodworking skills. Five gardens, young shelterbelt to tend. Half hour drive to decent grocery store, or rural hospital(mostly they ship people off to bigger hospital). All the 'close' neighbors are elderly, so not so much help available if a vacation or distant family emergency is to happen. Am allergic to dogs, so none in house, nor doggied up clothing. No alcohol, no tobacco. ...and that's just the good part. Seriously, there's worse to contend with.

Except for the adult whacko-and-with-violent-tendencies child being here...i love it, ha.

Plookerkingjon

@Plookerkingjon, if you were thinking about 'here', i doubt that you would like it, colder than most 'civilized' areas of Alaska. Need to bobcat snow from one mile of dirt road, just to get to the mailbox. Five miles to pavement. Would need pretty decent plumbing/electrical/woodworking skills. Five gardens, young shelterbelt to tend. Half hour drive to decent grocery store, or rural hospital(mostly they ship people off to bigger hospital). All the 'close' neighbors are elderly, so not so much help available if a vacation or distant family emergency is to happen. Am allergic to dogs, so none in house, nor doggied up clothing. No alcohol, no tobacco. ...and that's just the good part. Seriously, there's worse to contend with.

Except for the adult whacko-and-with-violent-tendencies child being here...i love it, ha.
I grew up in a long Winding Road where my neighbors were 5 Mi away and it took law enforcement 45 minutes to respond to any kind of problem in fact I dare say the fire Warden made it out to our way a lot quicker than any kind of law enforcement usually see a game warden or fire Ward and way before you'd see any kind of State cop or Sheriff unless they live next to you. Everything you describe with the exception of the electricity gosh sounds fine. How's the bull moose around there when they're in the Rut are they ornery?

led05

Chasing The Present
Ithaca ny is a hippie themed city with multible small hippie villages just outside city that are strictly for hippies only , I've also ran into hippie communities around Woodstock ny but it's a small town but they regularly have music festivals, adirondacks mountains have a couple small secret hippie communities if u can find them . Ithaca ny is a good size city that has music festivals every weekend . Someone mentioned finger lakes area that's not true 90% of the finger lakes are farmers/rich people that hate hippies not everybody but the people that own the land are hippie haters that will turn people in for growing
They sell flowers in head shops in NYS these days, illegal but nobody gives a shit … People have plants growing in their front & side yards these days, times finally changed…

I live in those finger lakes, your mostly right about it being AG focused (working folk) and then old wealth (often nasty people) but don’t forget the wonderful Amish but a whole lot in b/w that too, upstate NY imo is paradise…. Ithaca is a college / hippy town (Cornell & Ithaca U) but definitely not like the ones of old, though I’m too young to know I guess.

I think that list above may have been semi joking on some areas, I mean Martha’s Vineyard kicked out the millionaires for Billionaires decades ago, shit….

Sad reality these days is most people are seriously lazy and would rather be attached to a device than a spade, good thing Ledo has 3 arms…. Or was it legs…

Last edited:

RobFromTX

got a source for that?
Google search is your best friend. Theres plenty of articles on it

Plookerkingjon

My Uncle Greg and my uncle Mike used to leave Central New York area with me when I was a very young boy and take me up to the northern Adirondacks by Saranac Lake and Lake Placid Mount Marcy I mean if people don't realize how much of a pristine outdoor lovers playground that areas and I can only think of somebody being a diligent gorilla grower what they could pull off up there and then I realize like when my mom was Raising me we'd go to Saratoga Springs and smoke some of the best pot in the world I don't give a f*** what anyone thinks, I know it was

Last edited:

Nannymouse

I never saw a moose in this area, until about seven years ago. Lots more wildlife than when i was a kid. The only ones that i've seen on the property, or across the fence, have been cow moose. They like trees, and we just don't have what they're looking for, so when they are seen, it's just passing through to some of the older, treed properties.

Not seriously looking for helpers, at this point. Wouldn't bring in someone, as long as kid is here. State's Attny has advised no knives or guns in house, it's that serious. So, ammo is locked up. Need guns for the rabid skunk population, but we are mindful. A year later, we've brought the knife block back into the kitchen, but when we sense an 'episode' coming on, they get locked up. Pretty hard to go through harvest and food preserving, without. I feel a rant about how the state spends it's 'mental health' money (Television ads and a phone number where people have no real help) rather than some sort of housing or real services.

led05

Chasing The Present
My Uncle Greg and my uncle Mike used to leave Central New York area with me when I was a very young boy and take me up to the northern Adirondacks by Saranac Lake and Lake Placid Mount Marcy I mean if people don't realize how much of a pristine outdoor lovers playground that areas and I can only think of somebody being a diligent gorilla grower what they could pull off up there and then I realize like when my mom was Raising me we'd go to Saratoga Springs and smoke some of the best part in the world I don't give a f*** what anyone thinks, I know it was
Season up there 4-6 weeks shorter than our lovely finger lakes, sometimes even 8 weeks difference, brrrrr… I can finish NLD here outside sometimes, giving it a go right now in fact…

But I completely agree with you, NYS in general is an outdoorsman’s paradise, especially if you’re into fresh water

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Is this about getting sex at a commune, or leaf-peeping in upstate NY? There's no communes there that I know of. Family in Northville in the Adirondacks.
Actually, I've seen commune chicks...they're usually fugly, sadly. But they're still God's children

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Hip community are started by creative people. Once other people notice the hip community has great art, music, food and such they bring their money and opinions to the scene. To start with this is good. It helps turn people on to a new way of living (or old way depending how you view it). But at some point the hippies and their art community become so well know known it begins to attract the wrong people and it dilutes the goodness so to speak. Boulder Colorado and Eugene Oregon both come to mind. I've never been to Ashville but I suspect it's similar.

In my opinion. More people need to buy land or homes where it is inexpensive. Make art and music. Attract like-minded peoplr to the area create a community. We need good places more than we need to overpopulate somewhere past its prime.

MrGs

Is this about getting sex at a commune, or leaf-peeping in upstate NY? There's no communes there that I know of. Family in Northville in the Adirondacks.
Actually, I've seen commune chicks...they're usually fugly, sadly. But they're still God's children
Theres hippie communities up their , I worked for a utility contractor retired now I can almost say I've driven or walked every road/powerline in upstate ny over the years ,we ran across them in a few areas in the adk , most good looking people move south the minute they get money for plane ticket / car the people that stay store fat for winter like a big grizzly bear . But if someone is into fresh water fishing (me)I dont think it gets better than the cold fresh lakes of upstate ny , I tried eating fish down south almost puked.

Plookerkingjon

Last time I saw a huge really big hippie Community get together Gathering slash whatever you want to call it I woke up at 6:00 in the morning to go down to the river and as I walked down I saw somebody's relative going picnic table to picnic table to picnic table straining all of the beers that were left on there through pantyhose and drinking them yay for America

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Google search is your best friend. Theres plenty of articles on it

"if" the author gets his wish..." "if", the largest two-letter word in existence. the GOP would cheerfully carve up the National Forests & Parks to sell the land to real estate developers "because it's just sitting there, doing nothing. why can't we make a buck off of it? let those poor fuckers go to Florida or someplace for vacation..." i don't believe those bills are ever going to pass Congress. idiots propose doing LOTS of ignorant shit.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
1000000034.jpg