What's new

Highland Thai, Johaar, Lemon Candy, Syrian, Rhino D

aliceklar

Highland Thai phenos - bud formation and terps after 7 1/2 weeks flower

20230111_181222_3.jpg

P1.4
Spindly, long internodes, reflower, sparse tops. Same musky ginger terps as female HT from previous grow. Strong roots. Thirsty plant.

20230111_181737_8.jpg

P1.5
Spindly extreme, reflower etc, v long nodes. Frosty. Ginger/musk terps. Incredibly tall and vigorous. This pheno ended up getting grafted twice & has filled almost half of the lower space

20230111_181404_0.jpg

P2.12
Runt. Lots of big buds on a Short plant. Classic HT terps. Hopefully fast maturing and keeping the terps and effects.

20230111_181658_2.jpg

P2.7
Shorter chunky bud w long narrow leaves. HT terps plus a sharp top note thats foul and eyewatering, like rotten fermented fruit.

20230111_181825_4.jpg

P2.10
Chunky long bud. Weaker scent.

20230112_091149_0.jpg

P2.11
longer colas but still chunky. vigorous. Recognisable ginger/musky terps plus a sticky sweetness.

Last edited:

aliceklar

The P1.4 and P1.5 are reflowering - stacking new flower spikes out of the first colas. This could go on for a while... I'm incrementally bringing the day cycle down until it gets to 10/14. Reckon these phenos would be fantastic outdoors in a warmer climate, but its the smaller plants with chunkier buds and shorter flowering time that I'll probably be taking forward here, because I'm growing indoors.

20230114_081400_7.jpg

20230114_081419_8.jpg

Lemon Candy #4 and #9 are developing some good bud structures.
20230114_081532_2.jpg

20230114_081618_5.jpg

And lots of seed that's very nearly ready...
20230114_081943_6.jpg

The dehumidifier is also doing a grand job - keeping it below 60% now.

aliceklar

I've pruned off a few of the higher branches of Thai P1.5, to give the shorter phenos more light. Its a bit of a lottery, when doing loads of grafts - some take, some dont. P1.5 took twice, and also retained a sturdy branch off the seed plant, although most of the branches on the P1.5 host are other phenos (inc P2.11 and P2.7, which are really promising in terms of bud formation and terps). Consequently there will be a ton of p1.5 bud, if she ever gets her spindly ass into gear to ripen. Fingers crossed shes a banger.

Half a dozen seeds fell off whilst I was pruning - need to collect and sort asap! Otherwise I'll just have a bag of seed labelled "Highland Thai x ???" Strangely, they are really dark, oak brown, whereas the P1 and P2 seed was much paler.

In other news, just culled Lemon Candy #9. Shame, as she had great bud formation and scent, but she was starting to produce loads of male flowers.

Last edited:

aliceklar

Last night just before I went to bed I felt something inside one of my socks. It was a cannabis seed, of course :D It must have fallen off the culled LC#9 and been there all day, whilst I was at work...

aliceklar

End of week 9 flower
20230119_174501_8.jpg

20230119_172300_3.jpg

Found another plant putting on male flowers... Johaar #2, which is the host plant for J5 and J6. Only #2 was affected, but it was pretty much covered with rapidly developing bananas, and the buds nowhere near ripe. Pruned off all those branches, leaving just the 2 smaller scions. Shame, it was a nice plant otherwise, with lovely terps. Sticky, too. I had to use gloves when trimming it out. Will help the others get more light I suppose! Wondering whether this is connected to the LC I culled recently. Both had the same Johaar father, and both from the Johaar P1#2 line. But they might have been reacting to getting too strong nutrients (Johaar is a light feeder - and there is some severe tip burn), or delayed reaction to the neglect over Xmas, or maybe some of them really just dont like being indoors in small pots under artificial light...
20230119_172443_1.jpg

goingrey

Some tip burn yeah but overall seems reasonably healthy, strong hermie tendency not stressed into it..

It is what it is. Johaar was grown for food (seeds) as well says RSC, "Local farmers regard this as an excellent 'three-in-one' strain for production of fibre, seeds, and resin", there has been no motivation to breed for sexual stability.

aliceklar

Some tip burn yeah but overall seems reasonably healthy, strong hermie tendency not stressed into it..

It is what it is. Johaar was grown for food (seeds) as well says RSC, "Local farmers regard this as an excellent 'three-in-one' strain for production of fibre, seeds, and resin", there has been no motivation to breed for sexual stability.
Will be watching closely to see if that tendency decreases over time as I keep growing this line out and weeding out the unstable ones. All the Johaar and Johaar crosses I've been growing for the past few years are descendents of the same P1#2 Johaar from the original pack from TRSC, crossed with the P1#1 male. I've also got seeds from the P1#3 female (crossed with the same male). The P1#3 had much more defined, solid buds compared to the wispy #2, but the terps and effects werent quite as good. I've been thinking of growing some of this line out too and compare the hermi tendency - if I combine the lines again I could select for the terps and effects I like but with more solid buds with a better flower to leaf ratio. I also have seed from crosses of the P1#3 female x White Rhino, and x Buddah (MSNL reg, traditional Thai sativa IBL), which could be fun. Too many seeds, not enough time or space :/

Getting excited now about the next round. Alongside the Erdpurt, Syrian and Rhino-D regs, I've a few fem seeds I might throw in, just for variety - Honey Cream (RQS), Shogun (RQS), & Lemon Drizzle (Real Gorilla Seeds).

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
Will be watching closely to see if that tendency decreases over time as I keep growing this line out and weeding out the unstable ones. All the Johaar and Johaar crosses I've been growing for the past few years are descendents of the same P1#2 Johaar from the original pack from TRSC, crossed with the P1#1 male. I've also got seeds from the P1#3 female (crossed with the same male). The P1#3 had much more defined, solid buds compared to the wispy #2, but the terps and effects werent quite as good. I've been thinking of growing some of this line out too and compare the hermi tendency - if I combine the lines again I could select for the terps and effects I like but with more solid buds with a better flower to leaf ratio. I also have seed from crosses of the P1#3 female x White Rhino, and x Buddah (MSNL reg, traditional Thai sativa IBL), which could be fun. Too many seeds, not enough time or space :/

Getting excited now about the next round. Alongside the Erdpurt, Syrian and Rhino-D regs, I've a few fem seeds I might throw in, just for variety - Honey Cream (RQS), Shogun (RQS), & Lemon Drizzle (Real Gorilla Seeds).
Making selfed seed from the best P2s might also be a good way to advance - no guessing games about which parent might be the source of recessive intersex alleles that way. ;-)

aliceklar

Making selfed seed from the best P2s might also be a good way to advance - no guessing games about which parent might be the source of recessive intersex alleles that way. ;-)
That would be fun. Have not experimented with that yet. Am going the slow route for now ;) But its tempting... If I used that on the chunky P.12 Thai there would be a big budded dwarf Highland Thai line.

@zif, would you recommend colloidal silver? I've read a few threads on here and it looks like I could get a 9v battery or 9v power supply, trim the end off the lead, split the positive and negative and solder a crocodile clip to each, and then just dangle a couple of bits of silver (coin? wire?) into a large glass jar of pure water and leave it until the ppm reaches 30-40. Then spray a plant daily from 12/12 until it makes male flowers. Sound about right?

Last edited:
Reactions: zif

aliceklar

Nearly at the end of week 10 flower now. Lights down to about 10.5 hrs per day. Really excited about the Highland Thai phenos that are showing in this grow. It looks like the P1.2 female I got in my initial grow a few years back might not have been typical in form - she was tall and had large, long leaves, but the buds were relatively dense pyramids. All the P2 seed from her have much chunkier buds than the final two P1 females I grew from the original pack of 5 seed - P1.4 is tall, vigorous and leafy, with spindly buds, but the P1.5 is extreme in its reflowering, size, vigor and internode distance - its about 20% bigger than any of the other phenos. Both have nice resin coverage and delicious musky citrus terps. In contrast, the P2s are all much smaller, with denser buds in longish colas, much less reflower/foxtailing, lower leaf to bud ratio, and they also look to be maturing much faster. Terps the same, with variations around the sweet/musky/citrus/spicy axis. both the males I used to make seed in this grow came from the P2 line, so I'm hoping those traits will be enhanced in the P3 offspring. I also have about 12 P2 seeds left, so will pop those at some stage, and might take clones etc. It looks like there are some gems here.

20230125_140112_1.jpg

20230125_140409_6.jpg

20230125_140142_4.jpg
20230125_140338_9.jpg

2 distinct phenos in the remaining Lemon Candys. LC3 & 4 have large, shaggy top colas and lots of smaller christmas tree buds. Both similar in habit with similar sharp lemon terps with a kind of dirty dank putty undertone. Both have fairly thin branches that are sagging under the weight of flowers. LC1 has stronger branching, sweeter and tangier lemon terps and a fluffy candyfloss bud structure. The original P1.2 Johaar mother had a similar structure - good for mould resistance, easy to dry, and nice to roll with. I'd sometimes use this as a smoking mixture to roll joints instead of tobacco, and add stronger bud or hash - it was a really fragrant smoke mix and a happy high, tho not very strong. The Johaar x Nitro Lemon Haze mother was still a lovely smoke but much stronger - interested to find out how the offspring of this lemony (partial) backcross compare, with only 25% haze hybrid in the mix.

Johaar #3 has started throwing male flowers. So it goes. There are still 3 (so far) stable Johaar females, all pollinated with the Ethiopian as there were no males in this batch. That will be a fun one to grow out.
20230125_140204_6.jpg

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
That would be fun. Have not experimented with that yet. Am going the slow route for now ;) But its tempting... If I used that on the chunky P.12 Thai there would be a big budded dwarf Highland Thai line.

@zif, would you recommend colloidal silver? I've read a few threads on here and it looks like I could get a 9v battery or 9v power supply, trim the end off the lead, split the positive and negative and solder a crocodile clip to each, and then just dangle a couple of bits of silver (coin? wire?) into a large glass jar of pure water and leave it until the ppm reaches 30-40. Then spray a plant daily from 12/12 until it makes male flowers. Sound about right?
I like STS (mainly because you spray 1-3x early in flower and then are done), but people definitely have success with colloidal silver, too. If STS is too risky to procure, the early papers also showed that plain silver nitrate can works. If you're put off by the huge batches (1000s of sprays worth) that most STS recipes produce, I found that making a batch for a few reversals worked fine... 'though it was a bit of a pain to measure the small quantities (mgs) of reactants.

If you succeed in making a big budded, dwarf Highland Thai, it'll definitely be worth it! ;-)

aliceklar

Week 11. Reducing feed incrementally now. Currently c 400 ppm / 1.2 @ Canna A & B, 0.8ml biobizz bloom. same base water since start of flower: 400ml tap amended w nitric acid, 800ml rain or dehumidifier water.

Reactions: zif

aliceklar

You're using both Canna and BioBizz fertilizer? Well the Canna Coco is kinda high on the N so makes sense.
Yeah... I know you shouldnt cross the steams ;) Its what I had to hand when I needed extra feed in flower last time, and didnt want to just up the Canna (because as you say Canna is fairly high N, and also my N must be already be on the high side from the nitric acid pH down + very hard tap water combining as calcium nitrate), and the feeding schedule seemed to imply I needed to buy several more amenendments, which I was not a great fan of. I'm basically sticking to the formula that worked for me last time, and tweaking incrementally if the plants look like they need something else. They've been OK so far - big sativas in small pots makes the line between underfeeding and burning real fine.

aliceklar

Week 12 of flower. Feed down to about 350ppm (1ml @ Canna A+B, 0.8ml Biobizz bloom). The Lemon Candy is nearly there I hope. The Thai... they may have a while to go! I had to rig up some additional support in the upper flower space as the LC and the Thai P2.12 were starting to flop with the weight of bud. Will give these guys more support next time.

I removed the last Johaar to another room - saw a few more bananas. Not going to cull them as they are fairly late in flower, but dont want to risk random pollination.

20230204_080127_5.jpg

20230204_075045_2.jpg

20230204_075057_6.jpg

20230204_080108_2.jpg

20230204_080038_3.jpg

Hard to get a good picture of it, but some of the HT P1.5 buds are showing really dark purple on the calyxes.

20230204_080014_2.jpg

HT P1.4 is starting to fill out now, liking the resin coverage and structure of the colas. This is still on the large size for my tiny grow space, but less of a monster than P1.5. I might run the offspring of this one if the effects are good. Pungent citric spicy funk.

20230204_075210_1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts