What's new

Highland Thai, Johaar, Lemon Candy, Syrian, Rhino D

aliceklar

New diary for my Fall 2022 grow. I'll be doing seed runs for a bunch of landrace sativas/IBLs as well as testing one of my own crosses, and trying out Verdant Green's Rhino D. All of these will get hit with pollen from my AK auto breeding project, with longer term goal of developing hardy auto hybrids suitable for guerilla grows at 50-54 latitude - especially sativas that will be able to produce before the weather kills them off. [edit - none of the auto pollen took... but the Thai's were spectacular]

Here's the lineup:

Highland Thai (TRSC)
Thai/Burmese landrace from The Real Seed Co. I've a couple of seeds left from the original pack (2019) plus a bunch of homemade 2nd gen (P2?) seeds I made last time (I female, 2 males). This made nice chunky buds on huge narrow leaved plants, 18 week flowering time from seed. Unique musky citrus/spice terps - lovely smoke with crystal clear high.
View album 15250309

Johaar (TRSC)
Another unusual landrace from N India. Tall vigorous plants with a mellow happy high. Used by the locals for charas. Open fluffy buds. I'll be growing out some of the 3rd generation (P3?) J#8 seedline. (J#2 x J#1) --> (J#8 x J#5 & J#9). J#8 had great terps and big buds, lemony with a leathery richness that reminded me of dusty books. Of the male parents, J#5 had compact form and heavy flowering, J#9 delicious lemony terps. Again about 18 weeks to finish flower with the first generation, but reduced to 13 weeks with using small pots/short veg/11 or 10 hour light cycle. Will be on the lookout for phenos that finish earlier.
View album 15250404

"Lemon Candy"
My cross between f1 (Johaar x Nitro Lemon Haze (MSNL))#8, pollinated with the outstandingly lemony Johaar male J#9. 75% Johaar. Aiming to keep the delicious terps and happy high, but reduce flowering time and increase bud density. Background of the Nitro Lemon Haze is Critical Mass x Jack Herer, which means a bit of skunk and northern lights, as well as some haze and a bit of afghan, into the polyhybrid mix.

Syrian (TRSC)
First time growing these. From the description on the site:

"These are early maturing plants with intense aromas and resin. Semi-autoflowering traits can be exhibited. Two main phenotypes can be found in this Syrian landrace, namely Indica-type and Sativa-type. Indica-type plants can be expected to range from 0.6 to 0.9 metres. Sativa-type plants approximate 1.2 to 1.5 metres in height. The Indica-types are more desirable and compact, whereas the Sativa-types appear to typically have ruderal characteristics. As expected for a hashish landrace, chemotypes range from THC- to CBD-dominant. Aromas are intense fruit and tangy candy.

This is a hardy landrace that’s adapted to a desert climate of hot days and cold nights. Plants require light nutrient regimes and benefit from being given a dry period between watering.

This Syrian strain provides a positive, inspiring high with a feeling of mellow, physical relaxation."

Interested to see how these grow - and will be mindful of their desert climate preferences. Seem like a good robust drought-tolerant candidate for the outdoor auto-breeding project.

Rhino D (Verdant Green)
In spite of trying twice, I managed not to get any female White Rhinos in my previous grows. Looking forward to VGs White Rhino x C4DD cross (just to make a change from all the sativas).

"The ‘lost’ North London White Rhino clone, found and crossed with proven inbred Chem Line C4DD. quite well balanced, with the cheesy/skunky funk of the Rhino mixing well with a solvent/fuel/chemmy profile of the C4DD. Quite a strong smell. The taste is creamy/cheesy with an exhale reminiscent of moroccan hash. The high is blissful, mellow and smooth… quite couchlock with great relaxing qualities. 9 Weeks."

Last edited:

aliceklar

Nice selection indeed.

The Pn generation terminology doesn't seem to be very widely adopted. Maybe there isn't so much research on ex situ reproductions? Anyway, I like it. Most people will understand what it means.

Thanks @goingrey. ACE consistently use that terminology, but it doesnt seem to be very commonly used by seed houses. Often you've no idea whether they are making seeds from just a couple of prized clones or whether there is more diversity in the mix, how many generations they have been going, etc.

From my pov, its important information. One of my aims is to be self-sufficient in seeds, come hell or high water (or the breakdown of international markets, internet, etc, which fwiw I suspect is highly likely in my lifetime). And to share them with my community. I want to have the resources to create locally adapted seed lines that can be grown outside in a post-prohibition world, and that requires a bit of diversity in the parent stock.

goingrey

Thanks @goingrey. ACE consistently use that terminology, but it doesnt seem to be very commonly used by seed houses. Often you've no idea whether they are making seeds from just a couple of prized clones or whether there is more diversity in the mix, how many generations they have been going, etc.

From my pov, its important information. One of my aims is to be self-sufficient in seeds, come hell or high water (or the breakdown of international markets, internet, etc, which fwiw I suspect is highly likely in my lifetime). And to share them with my community. I want to have the resources to create locally adapted seed lines that can be grown outside in a post-prohibition world, and that requires a bit of diversity in the parent stock.
Yep I agree. Important information or at the very least interesting.

Reproductions of landraces outside their original habitat will surely have an effect on the line. Epigenetics is the often talked about reason but realistically more so due to bottlenecking because of limited numbers.

Might also be for the better in some cases. Say if it has been adapted/selected for better performance indoors and that's where you want to grow them. Equally important info then.

aliceklar

One last addition to this round - ACE's Erdpurt.

20220923_103114_1.jpg

20220923_103132_1.jpg

"Classic afghani line developed in northern Europe, where it was selected for its quality, fast flowering and excellent adaptability against the adverse conditions of northern climates.

It is a very ornamental hash plant, that gets multitude of colors in the leaves, stems and flowers in late flowering. It ripens very quickly, producing hard and resinous buds with hashy and coffee aromas. The effect is relaxing afghan type, of moderate strength and high medicinal value due to its high CBD content.

ErdPurt is an excellent afghani for outdoor growing in altitude or northern latitudes, where the cold, wind and rain doesn’t allow most of the afghani strains to ripe properly."

In terms of producing seed suitable for outdoor grows in the North, this seems like a solid choice for making some vigorous sativa hybrids that stand a chance of finishing before the bad weather takes them. Also a no-brainer for the AK auto project.

aliceklar

Thats awesome, props to whoever managed to get those seeds out of syria. I was in the middle east last week and those checkpoints around syria and azerbaijan are nothing to fuck with hehe.
I think the seeds were brought out by a refugee a few years ago, and gifted to a grower who since did a reproduction run. More info here: https://www.icmag.com/threads/syrian-landrace.338658/

In other news I screwed up with the fan I ordered - got the wrong type (it needs an inline switch and has a timer so wont run continuously. Rewiring it is beyond my limited electrical skills - shame I dont know a sparky who would work for weed!). Trying again...

Last edited:

aliceklar

Spooky season is upon us and Alice's bonsai weed garden has arisen :pumpkin:

Cleaned and repainted the growroom today, fixed the insulation in the loft above the growroom (mould on the ceiling told me where the cold patches were, which showed where more insulation was needed - yep, big gaps) and started first batch of seeds.

All but the auto into 1 litre pots of coco (rinsed before use), with a little pasteurised pre-used coco/ewc/peat-free compost added. Auto Zam in 3 litre pot. Seeds sown direct, fingernail deep. Heating mat under trays - warm medium makes for fast germination. New fan on its way. Planning to multi-graft all the photos. Stoked.

Highland Thai
last 2 x P1 gen (1 seed per pot)
20 x P2 gen (2 seeds per pot, 10 pots)
Will OP these - still have about 8 of the P2 seeds.

Johaar #8
12 x P3 gen (2 seeds per pot)

Lemon Candy (JNLHxJ)
x 10 (2 seeds per pot).

Auto Zamaldelica (ACE)
Tried another seed of this batch a couple weeks ago with my AK autos and it was a no-show. 2nd attempt, in pasteurised medium with a scuffed seed coat. Heating mat should help too.

aliceklar

Was expecting sprouts tomorrow, but 1 Highland Thai (#5 of the original 2019 TRSC pack) and 1 Johaar (J8 line, #4) have just shown above the medium. Stoked. Bodes well. Am looking out for a bell-curve of seed erruption over the next few days. Strap in.

Just got the replacement (try again) fan, too. It's all happening, my green fingered siblings. I feel the force will be strong in this grow.

blondie

Was expecting sprouts tomorrow, but 1 Highland Thai (#5 of the original 2019 TRSC pack) and 1 Johaar (J8 line, #4) have just shown above the medium. Stoked. Bodes well. Am looking out for a bell-curve of seed erruption over the next few days. Strap in.

Just got the replacement (try again) fan, too. It's all happening, my green fingered siblings. I feel the force will be strong in this grow.
Hi. I’m Looking forward to watching the progress on this great grow...

Breadwizard

Good selection, make sure you're careful about your potting schedule on the Syrian, when I grew them, they hated being in small pots, and got stressed indoors. These are robust genetics, but aren't used to indoor climates.

Dr.Funke

Awesome lineup! I am really interested in the Syrian. My grandfather is from Syria, immigrated to the US in the 50s. Totally cool those seeds made it out of there. Cheers!

aliceklar

Good selection, make sure you're careful about your potting schedule on the Syrian, when I grew them, they hated being in small pots, and got stressed indoors. These are robust genetics, but aren't used to indoor climates.
Thanks for the warning @Breadwizard. I'm doing this run for seed and pollen mainly, so am not expecting full sized plants or big yeilds, but will keep an eye on that. I'm planning on grafting them and growing multi-graft plants in much bigger pots than I normally use (normal pattern is to use 2-4 litre coco pots). Also considering amending the medium - maybe try organic soil for them rather than the coco, given their low nute requirments and preference to dry between waterings. Syrian will be started once I've done this first round of Thai and Johaar.

aliceklar

The second P1 Highland Thai is up today, as well as one of the P2s (#5). Interesting the older seeds germed first. 8 more Johaars up today [edit, 9 up by lunchtime, and a few more HT P2s showing]. No LC yet.

The first of the HT P2s looks like something took a bite out of one of its seed leaves...

Another oddity: the first Johaar to emerge, J4, has 3 seed leaves. Never seen this before...

20220929_131527_5.jpg

20220929_131454_0.jpg

20220929_131506_2.jpg

Last edited:

aliceklar

20220930_062638_1.jpg

12/12 of the Johaars up by last night. Really vigorous, handsome seedlings.
6/10 of the Lemon Candy.
Both of the Thai P1s are up, and as of this morning 6/20 of the P2s, so that gives at least 8 to play with, and very likely a few more over the next few days, so enough to make seed. The one with the damaged leaf looks like it will pull through.
The Auto Zamaldelica is still a no-show :(

All currently under 1 SF1000 spider farmer LED, dimmed to 70%, at 60cm.

20220930_062618_1.jpg

Here's the Johaar with the extra seed leaf - anyone else see this before?
20220930_062518_4.jpg

Worried about the compost drying out/getting too hot, so turned off the heating mat. Have been using a syringe to drip a little rainwater where compost looked to be drying, but no proper watering yet. Central heating has gone on, so the ambient temps should be fine, tho its unseasonably cold outside atm. Weather this year has been extreme - storms, droughts, heatwaves and now this.

Last edited: