What's new

Highland Thai, Johaar, Lemon Candy, Syrian, Rhino D

aliceklar

Hey Alice

how long does it usually take until you know whether a scion has taken and grabbed?
Normally you can tell after a few days - it will either wither/rot or it will take off and you'll see leaf growth. I have a couple at the moment that I made just over a week ago tho that are barely hanging on... I'm kinda tempted to chop off the rest of the higher growth to force the plants to prioritise the graft, but if I do that and it fails, I will just have thrown away several weeks of growth.

20221025_221546_6.jpg

See how the knuckle on the branch next to the graft has swollen as the plant has prioritised that stem? Thats where the growth is going. I think in general its better to remove other growth above the graft site to discourage this. Might do this anyway and take some clones.

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
cheers for that, so is the object to eventually graft stuff onto more vigorous root stock? or a plant count work around?

have you experimented with photo/auto grafting?

aliceklar

cheers for that, so is the object to eventually graft stuff onto more vigorous root stock? or a plant count work around?

have you experimented with photo/auto grafting?
Whilst I generally use more vigorous plants as hosts, the overall aim is to reduce plant count, to enable me to flower out a wider range of phenos in a limited space. I love having a variety of stuff to smoke!

shiva82

what was your verdict on the "afghan mix" from trsc ? i have nearly 30 of them that i have been arranging and matching up like for like best i can.

aliceklar

what was your verdict on the "afghan mix" from trsc ? i have nearly 30 of them that i have been arranging and matching up like for like best i can.
Lots of fun. Seem really varied, so potential to find all kinds of goodness. Definitely worth a go if you like indicas. I've maybe a hundred seeds from my favourite female pollinated with the one male I got from that batch (which seemed to have the same form as the mother).

You mean you've been trying to match the seeds and "unmix" them? That didnt even occur to me.. Look forward to see how they do for you.

aliceklar

Did more grafting yesterday:

LC1 --> LC8
LC8 --> LC6
LC7 --> LC1
LC1 --> LC7

The thai is starting to show yellow blotches on the larger leaves. I've upped the feed to 2ml Canna A+B (from 1.5ml). I think its getting hungry in the small pots. Need to get these guys built up into multi-graft plants and moved into flower.

aliceklar

Did a whole load more grafting last night. Alice was having fun ;). Most of the Johaar and LC are now backed up, and I'm building multi-pheno rootstocks for the 3 HT in the main growspace. I'll leave it a while for the newest grafts to take before repotting some LC & Johaar likewise. Aiming to flower out every pheno in one go, on 12 rootstocks total (9 in the lower space, 3 in the upper).

Noticed that some of the earlier grafts I'd tried to "wrap" with tape, the tape is unwinding. fingers crossed the grafts can support themselves. Looks like a simple pinch with tape is better.

20221028_235115_6.jpg

20221028_235106_6.jpg

20221028_235008_5.jpg

The Ethiopian is catching up nicely - green and vigorous, with encouragingly short internode length.
20221028_235048_4.jpg

shiva82

i will post in your afghan thread if i can find it. i will search your posts to get to it. ethiopian highland makes great hybrids too. great choice

aliceklar

Most of the grafts taking nicely. Some of the Lemon Candy ready for a second round - need to get some potted on to use as host plants.

Potted on the Ethiopian from 1 litre into 4 litres of coco. Really attractive plant.

aliceklar

Sometimes the grafts take, sometimes this happens...

20221104_182059_2.jpg

So far with the Thai I've got good growth on about 6 different grafts on the 3 main plants, and can now start culling some of the original seed plants. I've just tried again with a scion of P2.3, and also another P2.1 (not sure if the first attempt at that one is going to take) and P2.4, which I missed out last time. Still need to do P2.2 and P2.9. Although I think Alice must've been stoned when that plant was labelled up as there are two plants to the pot and It's not clear which one is #9... Sigh. Ah well, I know they are HT P2s, so no biggie.

The Johaars are nearly there - #3 and #4 were top-swapped a while back, and I'm just waiting to see which one takes best before potting it on and ditching the other.

The Lemon Candys I've potted on 3 plants, but still need to build a few more grafts on. Getting there.

The Ethiopian (front centre) gives me chills. Its a beautiful plant. This is going to be epic.

20221104_190452_7.jpg

aliceklar

Looking good. Well besides the dead graft.

What's the deal with the bottle, some kind of CO2 fermentation?
Thanks GG. The tube into the demijohn is to collect runoff from the plants in the space above and to the right. I've been experimenting with different drainage solutions - I'm loving growing in coco, but dealing with runoff is a chore. If I want to compartmentalise them and run a different day-length in the top space, I'm going to have to think again about drainage, because the tube would stop the door closing.

goingrey

Thanks GG. The tube into the demijohn is to collect runoff from the plants in the space above and to the right. I've been experimenting with different drainage solutions - I'm loving growing in coco, but dealing with runoff is a chore. If I want to compartmentalise them and run a different day-length in the top space, I'm going to have to think again about drainage, because the tube would stop the door closing.
Oh I see. Maybe some kind of flaps could light proof the door? Might still be worth rethinking the drainage to not have the bottle taking space in the other area though. And well to not have to deal some kind of flaps lol.

aliceklar

More grafting this weekend. Have now got just about everything backed up and hosts potted on in 4l coco. More culling imminent. Just waiting to see whether any of the latest round of grafts fail. Want to get this lot into flower asap. Seem to be getting better results using younger material as scions, and side shoots rather than tops.

Reactions: zif

aliceklar

Few more grafts done, and I'm calling it a day. This is what I get - if they take, they take. Can't hang around forever trying to make sure I capture every single pheno. Will flip this lot next week ready or not. Culled most of the seed plants :( Feeling bad about it but needs must. Saved one runt though - the last of the Highland Thai to germ, which was lurking in the shadow of another plant. Potted on into 5l of coco now.

Some of the Lemon Candy are starting to stink. Neither lemon nor candy, lol.

20221110_205052_3.jpg

20221110_205044_1.jpg

aliceklar

So, taking stock, I've got about a dozen phenos of Highland Thai, 6 Johaar, and 8 Lemon Candy. Plus the one Ethiopian. Might be a few less - I did extra grafts where the first one looked ropey just in case. 9 plants total, footprint 90 x 180cm, so its packing a lot into a small space. Currently also a 5l pot of experimental autos (the autos I will need to move out once I flip the lights).

Only got the two spiderfarmer quantam boards (100w each) so far, turned down to 80%. Once I flip I'll bring the 3rd one online and turn them up to 100%. Still currently keeping the nutes v light. Wondering whether its worth dropping the daylight hours incrementally over a week or so, or whether it doesnt matter. Will be using 11 hours daylight, 13 darkness, to encourage the Johaar and Highland Thai to flower.

Need to get the scrog net fixed up. Always been terrible with knots, time to learn!

aliceklar

Everything set in place for flowering now. Looking at 6 plants in the larger lower space, 3 in the upper. The experimental auto F2s are in the upper space for now, but will move out when I flip. I've now culled all the spare seed plants (sob) so the overflow space is free.

20221112_093242_1.jpg

20221112_093253_8.jpg

20221112_093350_2.jpg

A couple of grafts have failed, but most doing well. the tape fell off one of the early HT grafts, and I've tagged it just below the join - gives a good look at how the plant heals:
20221112_093358_7.jpg

The Ethiopian is a really interesting one. Quite "spiky" looking, and the lateral branching is really horizontal compared to other plants.
Lemon Candy is continuing to stink, noticable whenever I brush past it whilst watering. Theres some of the musky citrus from the Johaar side, but also a danker smoky stank starting to come through. Promising. I've 8 phenos between the 3 plants, so there should be opportunity to take this to F2, save pollen etc.

Of course, in building up all these multi-pheno plants, I've not sexed any of the plants, so dont know how many girls I'll get. But I am planning to make seed (especially with the Highland Thai) and am not growing to maximise bud production - a little bit of each of a wide variety of phenos will do me very nicely, and once I've collected pollen from each and have some banked in the freezer, I can prune off the male parts. It might be a challenge for any plants where the host is male, but so long as i keep pruning off any flowers and keep a close eye, it should be fine.

Am guesstimating 14 weeks flower time for the pure sativas, which if I flip next weekend will mean harvest at end of February. if I get the Syrian, Rhino-D and Erdpurt vegged and ready ahead of time, they can slip in as a second wave and be done end of April. I've a few fems I might just chuck in for fun too (RQS Shogun, Dance World and Sour Diesel, and Real Gorilla's Lemon Drizzle, 1 of each)

Last edited: