What's new

Highland Thai, Johaar, Lemon Candy, Syrian, Rhino D

aliceklar

Collecting pollen from the two Medical Mass x White Rhino F1s. This batch produced some excellent offspring previously with the auto project, and the straight F2s were great, so I am hopeful as to what they will do. Last of the batch - from one of the first crosses I made, back in 2019.

Planning on crossing everything going to the Honey Cream. Its such a productive plant. Obvs, I havent smoked it yet...

Honey Cream x MMWR1​
Syrian #4 x MMWR1​
S.Kush x MMWR1​
Honey Cream x MMWR2​
Pineapple Kush x MMWR1​
Pineapple Kush x MMWR2​

aliceklar

IMG_20231104_085824_0.jpg

These have a few days yet before they pop. The Johaar influence (height, vigor, narrow leaf crowns) is strong, even tho these were back-crossed to another DW plant. Faint ginger & anise stem rubs.
20231104_085829_8.jpg

20231104_085849_9.jpg

Turns out the Highland Thai x Ethiopian boy has some lady-parts. I'll keep a close eye on these. Not so fussed by males throwing female flowers, as long as it doesnt go the other way.
20231104_085955_0.jpg

20231104_090045_6.jpg

20231104_090119_2.jpg

Nice to see the pollinations are taking, and have (apparently) contained themselves. Compare with the bud on the opposite side, that didnt get dusted - still actively growing fat white pistils, whereas the fertilized pistils are browning off/withering. Always hair raising doing in-situ pollination. Fans off, breath held, needs a steady hand. FFS dont sneeze 🤧

Here's my overflow space, with rather neglected mums and full-flowering males and the dubious Syrian #3 still deciding whether it wants to live or die. Mate. I feel you.
20231104_090206_8.jpg

20231104_090254_2.jpg

aliceklar

Honey Cream x Rhino D​
HT/E x Rhino D​
SK2 x Rhino D​
Rhino D x Rhino D​
Syrian #4 x Rhino D​

...and breathe.

Reactions: zif

aliceklar

Glad that is done. You are brave! Good job though.
✊Thanks blondie. It was very close. If M.Kush produces jarseed, I'll know who to blame.

The two DWJ bx males are a few days off releasing pollen yet I think, but back to the overflow space. They are advanced enough to get over the line and I dont want to risk a spill. Still collecting pollen bit by bit from the two MMWR F1s. Cut the main branches off the Syrian male a couple of days ago and laid them on a sheet of foil. Plenty of pollen there now. Will freeze a few batches.

Verdant Whisperer

That's too bad you ht/Ethiopian hermied, figured there'd be enough f1 hybrid vigor to make that very unlikely. Have you had this experience before with f1 sativa hybrids or is it a rare occurrence?

aliceklar

That's too bad you ht/Ethiopian hermied, figured there'd be enough f1 hybrid vigor to make that very unlikely. Have you had this experience before with f1 sativa hybrids or is it a rare occurrence?
Yeah. Its unfortunate :/

I've had no hermi issues with HT before, maybe just unlucky this time. Grown them in compost in tiny pots, they were fine! Grown them in coco with light nutes, no problem. The Ethiopian father plant... I have no clue. I planted 4 seeds, one germed, it was male. Freebie seeds. I've not yet grown out a female one.

The remaining plant of the HT/E pair is female tho :) Hopefully will offer something different to the stonier & high CDB strains. Have lots more p1.5 x Eth seed to explore if she's a good smoke.

Had lots of hermis with Johaar last fall, and several of the Johaar/Nitro Lemon Haze hybrids I've been playing with. Ended up culling most of the johaar too early to get any harvest, and lost a few of the JxNLH bx too. So it goes.

Verdant Whisperer

Thank you for your response Aliceklar, i was hesitant to get highland Thai after seeing that, but you reassured me and highland thai is now back on my list of strains i'de like to aquire and preserve. i've never smoked HLT but it seems special and unique to me, i want a strain where i can smoke it get lost in my thoughts. a medatative strain, thats not too heavy. more of blissful

aliceklar

Thank you for your response Aliceklar, i was hesitant to get highland Thai after seeing that, but you reassured me and highland thai is now back on my list of strains i'de like to aquire and preserve. i've never smoked HLT but it seems special and unique to me, i want a strain where i can smoke it get lost in my thoughts. a medatative strain, thats not too heavy. more of blissful
So long as you are able to deal with vigorous sativas, I recommend it. Some phenos are pretty strong for a landrace, but the effect is "up" and one of expansive mental clarity. The purple pheno I grew (the mother of the hybrid with Ethiopian) also has a stoney edge to it, and a sleepy comedown - but I've not had this with any of the several green phenos I've smoked. I've not smelt anything like it - people say "ginger", but that doesnt quite describe it. Its aromatic and distinctive in a musky citrus way. I also had phenos with mango and fermented fruit notes. Needs a limited veg time and 11/13 flower cycle, easy on the nutes. Small pots also recommended (unless you're growing outside, which is where it is apparently happiest). I grew the 2019 accession - I understand the latest one on the TRSC website is meant to be even better.

Last edited:

aliceklar

Mostly happy in here at end week 4. Probably could do with upping the feed again.

20231111_174001_8.jpg

Loving the Syrians. They are early, sturdy, resinous and stem rubs are giving some delicious sweet tangy hashy aromas already. Have made plenty of P2 seed using the S#2 male, as well plus other crosses with these both ways.
20231111_174043_8.jpg

20231111_174048_7.jpg

Dance World x Buddah is smelling much like her DW mother. Strong herbal/medicinal tang I've not encountered elsewhere. Not sure if this is from the Sour Diesel in the DW ancestry?
20231111_174100_5.jpg

aliceklar

Feed upped this week to EC 2.0 (pH 5.5). Syrians & HT/E getting EC 1.6

The M.Kush that I put into flower late (Its only had 18 days of 12/12) is starting to bud up now, and I made a few last pollinations:

M.Kush x MMWR7 (realised I ought to be calling this male MMWR7, not MMWR1, as I've previously grown out 6 plants from this seed batch, and MMWR1 was the first female)
M.Kush x MMWR8 (ditto)
M.Kush x Syrian#2

ACE CBD is smelling great and putting on an impressive coverage of resin (the sugar leaves look like they have 6-packs)

Most of the stretch is done now I hope (I've just supercropped the Highland Thai x Ethiopian, which is showing no signs of slowing down...)

20231114_075816_3.jpg

Some plants are showing interveinal yellowing & marginal browning and yellowing on older leaves. Not sure if this is a deficiency or just maturation. The Honey Cream is starting to colour up, with purpling on older leaves. Very happy with this one - v early, amazing vigor, and heavy resin production. Hope she smokes well.
The leaf issues are clearest on the Pineapple Kush:

20231114_075833_4.jpg

The top section of the grow cupboard is rammed. The Honey Cream is monstrous and trying to escape. the Royal Highness behind it is quietly packing on the bud. The S.Kush in the far corner is also flowering up nicely.
20231114_075915_3.jpg

Last edited:

aliceklar

Flushed a few pots where the plants were showing unhappiness. runoff between 3.5 and 4.5 EC. I think upping the feed strength just as the plants were starting to drink more + less frequent runoff allowed salts to concentrate in the coco. I hope I've avoided disaster, but am reducing EC and will aim to water to runoff at least once a week.

Thanks to @Ca++ for the advice in the Hand watering Coco thread.

aliceklar

Proper hash plant!

CBD hash, that is..
I'm impressed by the resin production on this one (even if it is all CBD!) Looking forward to seeing what it passes on to its offspring. I reckon that heavy resin production will also hold for THC dominant F1s. Lets find out...

I've pollinated buds with both of the Medical Mass x White Rhino males, with the Dance World (Johaar) backcross, and also with the Syrian #2. CBD#1 is 17% CBD and <0.5% THC. The Medical Mass & Dance world are both 1:1 THC/CBD plants with some of the same ancestry (Reina Madre, a parent of Juanita la Lagrimosa for MM, and Juanita for DW). The Syrians have mixed THC / CBD chemotypes, and are also resinous and fast maturing hashplants.

I'm hoping these will produce some interesting chemotypes.