What's new

High THC strains 20% and up.

these tests are skewed based on the sample size vs the plant as a whole. yes these test are based on weight but sampling the best 1g part of one nug of a grow the produced 1kg isnt a large enough testing pool. would be way more accurate to test a top cola but doubt the machine would hold it or if any one would want to test that much.

I am again calling bullshit on THC percentages. THC is only found in the resin glands. Some of my strains are 100% covered in trichomes. If I was to disolve a 100grams of 20% THC weed in Iso and extract oil, I wouldn't come near 20 grams, maybe 8-9 grams on a good run. This tells me there is NO WAY 20% of the bud is THC. Now, if we are counting the amount of THC in a trichome how does that weigh in on the fluxuation of different strains and there trichome saturation? Either way I disagree with THC percentages and think they are just a tool for marketing hype with breeders/dispensaries. The only true test is the smoke test!

WRONG. THC and other cannabinoids are found in most of the plant matter, around 2%.

THC percentages are by weight, not just trichome content. That is why flowers test up to 30 percent and concentrates test up to the high 90s. Disagree with GC/MS all day, that doesn't make it any less valid for analyzing cannabinoids.

couldn´t agree more
You are wrong as well.

100gram off weed do not give out 20 gram of hash no F... way
That is because you don't understand the difference between making hash and analyzing cannabis.
That's because extraction is not 100% efficient. Not even close.

I don't feel like beating a dead horse, so I'm going to bow out of this discussion. Authoritative information is readily available, should you choose to actually seek it out.

How can they be so clueless?... where's skunkman when ya need him?

simos;4046494There are many aspects of growing that have not been sufficiently evaluated by the scientific community. Opinions are valid in the discussion of those subjects. Chemical potency measurements of the major cannabinoids said:

When the lab analyzes flowers they dehydrate them, then dissolve in a solvent, then shoot into the machine. The numbers that come out are representative of percent by weight. When buds tests 20% THC that means the bud was 20% THC by weight. Those buds turned into hash could produce concentrate (aka hash) that scores (loose estimate) 50 and 70% THC by weight.

these tests are skewed based on the sample size vs the plant as a whole. yes these test are based on weight but sampling the best 1g part of one nug of a grow the produced 1kg isnt a large enough testing pool. would be way more accurate to test a top cola but doubt the machine would hold it or if any one would want to test that much.

everyone submits the same sample size (small) and the gardeners get to choose which buds or what piece of hash to test. Anyone who doesn't submit the best looking piece is only screwing themselves. i don't get your point...

are you suggesting we need to test a hundreds of samples from hundreds of grams to get an accurate analysis? that would be silly as the point is to determine max THC.

What you mean they don't sit down with a microscope and tweezers and carefully select a hundred pristine trichomes? And "THC percentage" isn't everything except THC, plus the THC? A rich Nigerian prince told me it was so during an email argument about it. Let me PM you his address. Surely the delta-9 THC% also includes the terpenes, nothing else would make sense.

Fertilizers in the USA do use an odd antique percentage calculation, and alcohol for drinking is measured as volume percentage, but I'm fairly certain that the "80% lean" hamburger in my freezer does not refer to the non-triglyceride content of the muscle cells.

I have a feeling that hi-test submitted floral material is not very leafy/wet, and does not always represent the whole buds actually sold.

Terpenes can easily be tested for, and should be reported IMO for medical reasons. But they are not. The samples are completely decarboxylated, that is why you see high THC numbers.

This testing just the trichomes with a tweezers is hilarious... and no they don't do that. Hash is trichome heads.

And again, all samples are dehydrated at the lab before testing. Anyone who submits under-trimmed herb for testing is only screwing themselves.

It's the percentage of THC against all cannabinoids.
You guys really believe that a fifth of a bud's weight is pure THC!?LOL.Then if you add the other 70+ cannabinoids to the equation you'd probably get that 80% of the bud's weight is cannabinoids?lol

WE have bred these varieties to be high THC and low other cannabinoids. True there are over 90 discovered cannabiniods now, but 88 of them represent very little. It's all THC, some varieties have CBD, and usually a little CBN. The other cannabinoids are barely present post decarboxylation. That is what Sam S and the rest of those characters have spent their lives doing, making pure THC varieties for us to soar on.

Mr Pink

G13 is Afghani renamed. Afghan for sure. I'd like to have a Burmese sativa I tried in the North of Lao analysed. That one sat me on my ass big time. Strongest hit I've ever had.

Subjective evaluations are to be taken for what they are, you can't evaluate a product's strenght based on one hit taken in a foreign country there are too many variables.

I'd really enjoy a more definitive answer regarding THC% testing, but am afraid there are none. A standard is needed for a test result to be compared to another, and until a standard is set for THC% tests no two results can be scientifically compared.

Hence THC% values are relative, and there is no point arguing in the first place.

The labs use pure versions of the major cannabinoids, called standards. This is how they quantify. This makes tests comparable as they are all quantified, usually using the same standards. There is always the possibility of lab tech error, or poorly calibrated GC setups, but that doesn't make the majority of professional cannabinoids tests invalid. The lab I use report accuracy to 1.5% +/- with standard analysis, and 0.5 % +/- with more tests of the same buds or hash.

im not arguing the validity of the test, ive taken chemistry and understand the basics of the test. my point is the test is bias because the sample size is too small and the fact that we know we are testing the best piece and not an average one. basicly you are influencing the outcome of the test. increase the sample size or randomize the sample being tested and i bet you will get a different result.

im not arguing the validity of the test, ive taken chemistry and understand the basics of the test. my point is the test is bias because the sample size is too small and the fact that we know we are testing the best piece and not an average one. basicly you are influencing the outcome of the test. increase the sample size or randomize the sample being tested and i bet you will get a different result.

hey, I don't mean to suggest you lack education. indeed what you say is true. BUT is the point to determine the average THC value in the entire crop, or the peak in the best bud? I am suggesting that the peak value is key, as each garden will surely differ and we need to draw conclusions about varieties. Labs test the very best nugs, and trim every leaf off, and dehydrate the flower (calyx cluster?), then analyze. The 1.5% accuracy takes into account the standards and sample size ect you know how it works. To get testing done labs/the canna world need to think about cost. Sam S says he can run 96 samples a day, that's it. And his system is baller, two injection ports with a longer column for CBE. if what you suggest (random testing of entire crops) was every a real life factor, then testing costs would be astronomical instead of $100.

The solvent dissolves just the resin and not the plant matter, wrong?

That is not true. They completely dehydrate the buds first. The solvent dissolves much of the green as it is already powdered. How is it that they know that stems and fan leaves contain THC? up to 2%... ?

If what you say is true the flowers and hash would test the same. But they do not. Hash tests 3-6x stronger than the buds the hash came from.

If you think about a completely dehydrated leaf, it is WAY more trichomes than plant.

Dr_Tre

Ok I found this:
THC% is measured as a percentage of the dry weight of the plant materials, herbal or resin. And if the THC is 22% it does not follow that 79% is other Cannabinoids, what about stems, flowers, leaves, resin? They do have weight.

-SamS
I've been wrong and I stand corrected.:bashhead:
:wave:

vaped

the stalked and boulbous tricomes are the only thc containing parts of the cannabis plants. If you look at a stem or leaf under the scope they all have trichomes. THC is an oil molecule leaf and stem tissues are water soluable plant material.

the stalked and boulbous tricomes are the only thc containing parts of the cannabis plants. If you look at a stem or leaf under the scope they all have trichomes. THC is an oil molecule leaf and stem tissues are water soluable plant material.

That is not true. The entire plant contains very small amounts of THC, and probably miniscule amounts of the other 90ish cannabiniods.

When you remove all water from a plant leaf, and smash it into chemical solvent, it makes a green liquid. We are not talking about water and oil here. We are talking about powerful non-polar solvents.

supervaca

Standards used for callibration, page 2 and so on:
http://www.cerilliant.com/activities_events/2010_Cerilliant_catalog.pdf

More on standards and drug detection:
http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/forensic.references.html#14

Standards:
A. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) (Aldrich cat # J2753, or equivalent)
B. Cannabidiol (CBD) (Aldrich cat # C6395, or equivalent)
C. Cannabinol (CBN) (Aldrich cat # C6888, or equivalent)
D. Tetrahydrocannabinol-acid (THCA)
E. Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol-d3 (internal reference standard)
F. Polynuclear-aromatic (PNA) mixed standard (Chem Service, Inc. cat # SP-Chemic-
1AMZ, or equivalent)

They are used to have a reference to work with. Cromatograph has to be "tuned" with them to detect the correct columns.
Subtile variations in some of the cannabinoid profiles are so minimal that's very hard to differenciate some of them; metodologies are improved constantly ...
So lots of labs with wrong calibration procedures get higher THC% than should be, confusing other cannabinoids with delta-9-thc....
I imagine the competitiom in CA etc is just boosting this %s for commercial purposes.... just my 2 cts.... as this results make us laugh every time .... 24% THC yeah, right :kissass:
Not to talk about how convenient is to give a higher % to a breeder/seedbank/collective etc....

Video on GC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJBctgHavoM&feature=related

Excuse my english, hermanos :thank you:

Last edited:

vaped

That is not true. The entire plant contains very small amounts of THC, and probably miniscule amounts of the other 90ish cannabiniods.

When you remove all water from a plant leaf, and smash it into chemical solvent, it makes a green liquid. We are not talking about water and oil here. We are talking about powerful non-polar solvents.
Note very small amounts trace chemicals maybe. If plants contained much if any thc people would be smoking leaves and stems not the case because people only want parts of the plant containing high quantities of trichomes. THC is oil soluble and only found in oil producing parts of a plant.

Note very small amounts trace chemicals maybe. If plants contained much if any thc people would be smoking leaves and stems not the case because people only want parts of the plant containing high quantities of trichomes. THC is oil soluble and only found in oil producing parts of a plant.

seriously, many people do smoke leaves, and stems sometimes too, they are called midwesterners, lol. its gross, but it gets people high. im not suggesting smoking leaves, because the thc is too low for a real affect. but thc is present in most of the plant.

vaped

seriously, many people do smoke leaves, and stems sometimes too, they are called midwesterners, lol. its gross, but it gets people high. im not suggesting smoking leaves, because the thc is too low for a real affect. but thc is present in most of the plant.
That is true they are present outside the plant on resin which is all over but found only in small quantities on leaves and stems on THE TRICHOMES. The midwest is the new cali if you cant find green bud you need to find friends or come to mich and get a card.