What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High heart rate after smoking weed

RobertFripp

Not completely wrong, a side effect of smoking is, yes the inhaling of CO, but THC and possibly other cannabinoids are to blame for the tachicardia.
The effect is caused by the same capillary vasodilation that is observed in the cornea (and the flushed appearance of stoners , the white ones in particular). So the capillary action causes a MAJOR displacement in both the blood pressure peaks, lowering high pressure and increaing slightly the low pressure, this causes the pericardial vessels to relax basically and works in a similar way to nitro in an engine, the heart is missing the necessary high pressure to slow down and the lower pressure being higher gives a "faster" though weaker blood flow.
Thus the heart has to keep the work up by increasing its rate. Plus the awareness of the feeling of blood pressure lowering due to vasodilation causes an uncoscios stress response in some people that can bring adrenaline into the picture, making things worse for those who are sensitive.

Hope i didn't get too technical.

Myocardial tissue is highly sensitive to oxygen deprivation; thus when CO displaces O2 to form COHb, it can be uniquely detrimental to the heart especially in those with diseases that compromise heart function such as coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy, or myocardial infarction. The belief when considering exposure to CO is that it is exceptionally hazardous to cardiac tissue. Cardiovascular manifestations of CO toxicity as reported in the literature include arrhythmias, pulmonary edema, heart failure, and MI, but myocardial dysfunction usually dissipates within 24 h of exposure . Chronic exposure to low level CO, as in environmental pollution, results in cardiac hypertrophy, elevated heart rate, and impaired contractility, perhaps as a result of increased oxidative stress. In addition to hypoxic effects on myocardium, CO also impairs mitochondrial ATP formation, forcing myocytes to switch to anaerobic metabolism, worsening lactic acidosis and apoptosis. What is typically less mentioned are the large number of agents in exhaust and cigarette smoke that also contribute to heart disease and would include substances such as sulfur dioxide, hydrocarbons and even particulate matter. CO has also been shown to increase endothelial cell apoptosis and oxidative stress, resulting in coronary vasoconstriction and worsening myocardial perfusion. In addition, CO increases calcium sensitivity and diastolic retention in myocytes, predisposing the heart to arrhythmia.​

Pathophysiology of carbon monoxide poisoning in the heart. CO diffuses rapidly into the bloodstream as a component of inhaled pollutants. In addition to binding to hemoglobin, CO modulates platelet function to increase nitric oxide (NO) production. NO reacts with oxygen free radicals (O2−) to produce peroxynitrite (ONOO−), inhibiting mitochondrial function and further activating platelets and neutrophils. CO can induce platelet-neutrophil aggregation, neutrophil degranulation, release of myeloperoxidase, proteases, and additional reactive oxygen species, that contribute to tissue injury, release DAMPs, and increase cell death. Ultimately CO exposure limits O2 availability to highly metabolic cardiac myocytes that in situations where the heart is compromised (e.g. angina, ischemia/reperfusion injury) can exacerbate symptoms and contribute to further ischemic tissue damage.

Heart damage caused by carbon monoxide has long-lasting effects even after it has been eliminated from the blood. Carbon monoxide also causes direct damage to the heart muscle, separate from the effects of oxygen deprivation, which reduces the heart's pumping capacity and permanently impairs cardiac function.

X15

Heres something interesting I came across a while ago and thought you’ll might find it interesting. I thought of it after reading @Gypsy Nirvana comment. Sorry I couldn’t find a simple explanation to the statements below but if it intrigues anyone… research Rudolph Steiner and the heart.

As a teacher and medical professional, Steiner insists “that in order for human beings to improve and make true progress, they needed to understand that the heart is not a pump.” The heart is not a pump? Huh? How is that possible? And what does it have to do with true, human progress?
According to Steiner, science “sees the heart as a pump that pumps blood through the body. Now there is nothing more absurd than believing this, for the heart has nothing to do with pumping the blood.”

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran

Myocardial tissue is highly sensitive to oxygen deprivation; thus when CO displaces O2 to form COHb, it can be uniquely detrimental to the heart especially in those with diseases that compromise heart function such as coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy, or myocardial infarction. The belief when considering exposure to CO is that it is exceptionally hazardous to cardiac tissue. Cardiovascular manifestations of CO toxicity as reported in the literature include arrhythmias, pulmonary edema, heart failure, and MI, but myocardial dysfunction usually dissipates within 24 h of exposure . Chronic exposure to low level CO, as in environmental pollution, results in cardiac hypertrophy, elevated heart rate, and impaired contractility, perhaps as a result of increased oxidative stress. In addition to hypoxic effects on myocardium, CO also impairs mitochondrial ATP formation, forcing myocytes to switch to anaerobic metabolism, worsening lactic acidosis and apoptosis. What is typically less mentioned are the large number of agents in exhaust and cigarette smoke that also contribute to heart disease and would include substances such as sulfur dioxide, hydrocarbons and even particulate matter. CO has also been shown to increase endothelial cell apoptosis and oxidative stress, resulting in coronary vasoconstriction and worsening myocardial perfusion. In addition, CO increases calcium sensitivity and diastolic retention in myocytes, predisposing the heart to arrhythmia.​

Pathophysiology of carbon monoxide poisoning in the heart. CO diffuses rapidly into the bloodstream as a component of inhaled pollutants. In addition to binding to hemoglobin, CO modulates platelet function to increase nitric oxide (NO) production. NO reacts with oxygen free radicals (O2−) to produce peroxynitrite (ONOO−), inhibiting mitochondrial function and further activating platelets and neutrophils. CO can induce platelet-neutrophil aggregation, neutrophil degranulation, release of myeloperoxidase, proteases, and additional reactive oxygen species, that contribute to tissue injury, release DAMPs, and increase cell death. Ultimately CO exposure limits O2 availability to highly metabolic cardiac myocytes that in situations where the heart is compromised (e.g. angina, ischemia/reperfusion injury) can exacerbate symptoms and contribute to further ischemic tissue damage.

Heart damage caused by carbon monoxide has long-lasting effects even after it has been eliminated from the blood. Carbon monoxide also causes direct damage to the heart muscle, separate from the effects of oxygen deprivation, which reduces the heart's pumping capacity and permanently impairs cardiac function.
I don't get tachicardia from smoking cigarettes and I don't hear people complaining about it either as much as with cannabis,
but good read, important to know what is really harmful about smoking. Always been an advocate for vaping, but damn, priorities, and affording a vape is an active investment I am not willing to make any time soon.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Heres something interesting I came across a while ago and thought you’ll might find it interesting. I thought of it after reading @Gypsy Nirvana comment. Sorry I couldn’t find a simple explanation to the statements below but if it intrigues anyone… research Rudolph Steiner and the heart.

As a teacher and medical professional, Steiner insists “that in order for human beings to improve and make true progress, they needed to understand that the heart is not a pump.” The heart is not a pump? Huh? How is that possible? And what does it have to do with true, human progress?
According to Steiner, science “sees the heart as a pump that pumps blood through the body. Now there is nothing more absurd than believing this, for the heart has nothing to do with pumping the blood.”
Steiner must be a Social Scientist :p

Tangwena

Veteran
I'm smoking only in the evening, don't wanna be smoked up all the time. So that won't work :D

True that, but here you don't get to choose this strain over that strain. You get what you get and it's not something I'd smoke pure. So tobacco is necessary.
A year ago I lost a good friend from a heart attack caused by smoking tobacco he was warned by his Doctor to get off it but thought he knew better.
Died while talking to a friend on the phone.
He also mixed it with weed in joints the two together just speeds everything up. Dont smoke anything.

RobertFripp

I don't get tachicardia from smoking cigarettes and I don't hear people complaining about it either as much as with cannabis,
but good read, important to know what is really harmful about smoking. Always been an advocate for vaping, but damn, priorities, and affording a vape is an active investment I am not willing to make any time soon.

Cigs can cause permanent Tachycardia.

I had one buddy, who is now deceased, ( Heart Attack ) and atone time, he smoked like a freight train, and got tachycardia, and without meds, his heart rate was 150 BPM. He took meds for 15 years for it.

Another guy I was in federal prison with was a heavy smoker, and when he came to the prison, they wouldnt prescribe him his meds for Tachycardia. One night, about 3am, after noticing he had been coughing for a couple hours, and pacing, I went over to his bunk, and asked him if he was ok. And he said he was feeling bad. So i askd him if I could take his heart rate, and when I did, it was 180 bpm. And he told me they took him off of his meds when he came there. Which was about 2 months before I got there. He too, was in for marijuana cultivation. At this point he had been off his meds for 3-4 months.
But I told him he was experiencing Tachycadia, and he said he was being treated for that on the street, and in jail, they also gave him his meds. So I told him he urgently needed to go to pill line, and tell the Dr what his heart rate was, and that he was feeling, in really bad shape.
Pill line was 5:30am, and when he went to see the Dr, they instantly put him back on his meds. They will kill you in prison.

Cigs are a direct cause of Tachycardia.

Arrhythmia is an irregular heartbeat. It’s also called an abnormal heart rhythm. Smoking triggers cardiac fibrosis, or the scarring of heart muscle. This can lead to an irregular heartbeat or a fast heartbeat, also known as tachycardia. The nicotine in cigarettes increases heart rate, which can lead to tachycardia.
Short term Tachycardia, is not the same animal, as Tachycardia, caused from heart damage.
Smoking cigs related Tachycardia, makes you way more susceptible to blood clots, stroke, and heart attack. At one time, Nicotine, was considered the most powerful poison known. More poisonous, than cyanide.

They used to use it as a pesticide, but it was banned around 2015, as a neurotoxin. Cigs cause more illnesses than any one single thing you can do to yourself. They also contain Polonium 210, which is radioactive.
0Po is extremely toxic; it and other polonium isotopes are some of the most radiotoxic substances to humans. With one microgram being more than enough to kill the average adult, 210Po is 250,000 times more toxic than hydrogen cyanide by weight; it is also known that one gram of 210 Po is enough to kill 50 million people and sicken another 50 million.

In particular, 210Po attaches to, and concentrates in, tobacco leaves. Elevated concentrations of 210Po in tobacco were documented as early as 1964, and cigarette smokers were thus found to be exposed to considerably greater doses of radiation from 210Po and its parent 210Pb. Heavy smokers may be exposed to the same amount of radiation (estimates vary from 100 to 160 mSv per year) as individuals in Poland were from Chernobyl fallout traveling from Ukraine. As a result, 210Po is most dangerous when inhaled from cigarette smoke. Tachycardia, may be the least of someone's worries that smokes cigs.
Hard to beat sucking in radiation, on purpose.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
as soon as I lie down it feels like a hammer beating in my chest.
i have the same problem with certain cannabis. on a dark note, MDs will tell you that if you think you "might" be having any kind of cardiac episode, DO NOT LIE DOWN. doing so puts extra pressure on your system for a while. if you are older/have pre-existing heart problems, stay sitting up. why ask for trouble ?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
i have the same problem with certain cannabis. on a dark note, MDs will tell you that if you think you "might" be having any kind of cardiac episode, DO NOT LIE DOWN. doing so puts extra pressure on your system for a while. if you are older/have pre-existing heart problems, stay sitting up. why ask for trouble ?
Yes - has something to do with gravity - and you get to know this when you start getting dizzy when bending over (to feed the cat in my case) - so I sleep in the 'astronaut' position - head slightly raised - then the palpitations subside as opposed to lying down flat and horizontal - which does seem to stress the heart somewhat - all of those valves and chambers - pumping all that blood at certain angles - can be uncomfortable and in some cases can lead to a heart attack -

right

This is great information. When ever I have a hart issue, or panic attack. I immediately take two aspirin and lie down.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smoking strong weed reduces your blood pressure and can cause your heart to pump faster and more noticeably.

The important thing to remember is that this is a physical effect and NOT paranoia ! - try not to get into a vicious circle of worrying about your elevated heart rate and making it go even faster ! it will pass... perhaps smoke fewer hits.

physical / aerobic fitness will help a lot.

Tea, alongside some caffeine (about half of what is in coffee) also has a calming effect due to the presence of L-Theanine, so a better option with the first smoke of the day.
Coffee + strong weed is about the only thing that makes me jittery and can give me anxiety.

VG

linde

It's not so much the elevated heart rate as the palpitations that get me. Doesn't always happen but when it does it's misery. It's too bad that such a fun enjoyable plant can have such awful side effects. Definitely a double edged sword.

sublingual

With all due respect, elevated heart rate is the point for at least some people. Going out for a hike, snowboarding, or mountain biking elevated enhances the activity. As many substances, there seems to be a sine wave of the effect's path. Initially, there is a rush and, after the peak, a more relaxed state though still elevated. Then deeper relaxation which leads to sleep if it coincides with bed time. Also, there is a time for sativa and a time for indica, at least for some.
This site has a doctor who explains things well regarding arrhythmias, ectopic beats, and palpitations. I listen to him a lot.