What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High heart rate after smoking weed

GrayZone

I was wondering how many of you experience high heart rate after smoking a joint.

Lately, after smoking a joint, I get an increased heart rate. I don't feel it that much when sitting or standing, but as soon as I lie down it feels like a hammer beating in my chest.
I'm not worried that much health-wise cos my resting heart rate is totally fine and this happens only after smoking. However, it does make the whole smoking experience less satisfying and makes it hard to fall asleep at night time.

So does anyone know a quick fix for this? (don't tell me to simply not smoke :D ) I tried deep breathing but it didn't work.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How about a vaporiser( not a vape pen) last few hours of the night before bed instead of a joint, might be easier on the chest. Verdamper or volcano vaporiser, not cheap but it's your health so spare no expense.

Joints during the day evening and last few hours before bed just hit the verdamper , very easy on the chest and still gets you lit.

GrayZone

How about a vaporiser( not a vape pen) last few hours of the night before bed instead of a joint, might be easier on the chest. Verdamper or volcano vaporiser, not cheap but it's your health so spare no expense.

Joints during the day evening and last few hours before bed just hit the verdamper , very easy on the chest and still gets you lit.

I thought of that, vaping might be a better option. I don't smoke during the day, only evening and that's mixed with some tobacco, which makes it probably worse.

I recently noticed that it subsides after a cup of tea.

Interesting. Tea as in green tea, black tea..? Cos black has a caffeine-like effect, just milder than coffee.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
I thought of that, vaping might be a better option. I don't smoke during the day, only evening and that's mixed with some tobacco, which makes it probably worse.

Interesting. Tea as in green tea, black tea..? Cos black has a caffeine-like effect, just milder than coffee.
possibly green, but even a black without too much caffeine can still calm down the palpitations to acceptable levels.
[EDIT]: I might be wrong, but maybe red tea might be another decent candidate.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
tobacco makes it worse. dont use it.

although I love when my heart is beating like crazy... but if it happens to you after smoking indica, it will be more some health issue.. what about to visit doctor to check your heart? maybe you have something there... many sportsmen died like that. they had no clue about some genetic problem of their heart.

exoticrobotic

So does anyone know a quick fix for this?

Not a quick fix exactly but consuming more will help gradually build your tolerance :rasta:

don't tell me to simply not smoke

Smoke more gradually to build up your tolerance.

I've been smoking for 30 years and got a whitey a couple of years ago after consuming too much hash oil in ethanol sublingually.

Also had faint feeling when blood pressure suddenly drops when consuming whole pure spliff with cobbed sativa weed.

It's the sudden hit of thc.

But If i feel anxsty from too high THC i rub some Copaiba oil into my head.

From google

"Copaiba has benefits that can't be achieved with CBD. Because BCP directly binds to CB2 receptors, it produces rapid and powerful changes within the body."

I use this one - https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-copaiba-balsam-copaifera-officianalis-essential-oil-2

But like @MAHA KALA said, go to the Doctors and get it checked out.

Just don't mention the Cannabis

Dime

I was wondering how many of you experience high heart rate after smoking a joint.

Lately, after smoking a joint, I get an increased heart rate. I don't feel it that much when sitting or standing, but as soon as I lie down it feels like a hammer beating in my chest.
I'm not worried that much health-wise cos my resting heart rate is totally fine and this happens only after smoking. However, it does make the whole smoking experience less satisfying and makes it hard to fall asleep at night time.

So does anyone know a quick fix for this? (don't tell me to simply not smoke :D ) I tried deep breathing but it didn't work.
IMO it depends on the variety,some restrict blood vessels making the heart pump harder to meet demand and some expand to improve blood flow and can make you light headed

GrayZone

Not a quick fix exactly but consuming more will help gradually build your tolerance :rasta:

Smoke more gradually to build up your tolerance.

I'm smoking only in the evening, don't wanna be smoked up all the time. So that won't work :D

tobacco makes it worse. dont use it.

True that, but here you don't get to choose this strain over that strain. You get what you get and it's not something I'd smoke pure. So tobacco is necessary.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
When I was youngster we had in school anty drugs campains.
We had graph that was looking likeflower with others drugs around and weed in the middle cuz weed can be downer or up high.

Thats my expirience also with weed hazes are like cocaine,amphi...and other up high drugs and it contract blood streams and contract muscles even boner is not that good on hazes and pure sativas.

Hybrids are hybrids and can be mix of both ends of spectrum of high

While pure indicas open blood streams and relax your muscles have little psydelic efect and for me are much better for sex plays...

With heart rate i got 2 tipes of mj heart pumps on strong sativas that contract you and makes you more up talkative in one word more alert.

And with pure indicas sometimes i get whole body pulsation with heart rytm that i feel which i find like in moly,opium and other downers but it always much more plessure like in post orgasm way than sativa sprinting heart rate that like good ex will wants you dance or do something.

In strongest hybrids i often find mix of racy toughts heart beatin like crazy and stony hammer at the same time.And i feel this highs the strongest or most unplessent but they always lost some deep quality compared to pure indicas or sativas.

Chem d x sfv og is perfect example of strongest high.
It was so strong that after bigger J or Dab you cant sit or stand you just can lay down on floor and close your eyes and deep triping will start totally hazed head with heart beat like you are sprinting and at the same time your body is totaly numb and relaxed.
Pure Heroine it was.

Last edited:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
This is the unfortunate side effect of how the failed war on drugs and the improper scheduling of cannabis has impacted our having a better understanding of cannabis and it's effects. The improper scheduling has made it difficult for meaningful research being done on cannabis, thereby not allowing an understanding of the ways it can impact ones health. For exaample there are studies that suggst that smoking cannabis on a regular basis can increase the build up of plaque in the arteries which then cause restricted blood flow making the heart have to pump harder and faster to circulate your blood. Unfortunately this study was far from comprehensive and so it's findings are questionable.

One of the biggest problems with our lacking of understanding of how cannabis effects the body, IMHO, is that there is not enough understanding of how different strains effect people differently. Sure it's pretty common knowledge that cannabis sativa has an UP type of effect making the person feel like they have more energy and causes the mind to race. While cannabis indica has an almost opposite effect causing the person to feel a more down like feeling making the person sleepy and more relaxed. Unfortunately that's just the tip of the iceburg. Each strain has it's own unique chemistry from differing mixtures of 80 - 100 cannabinoids all of which play a role in how a particular strain makes one feel. Of those 80 - 100 most people are only aware of five, THC, CBD, CBG, CBN and CBC and really the majority of people really only know two of those which are THC and CBD. The thing about the other cannabinoids is that they can alter the effect of those two main cannabinoids. For example most people know that it is sativa strains that will give you the stereotypical paranoia associated with cannabis. However, there is another cannabinoid (I forget which specific one) that is believed to reduce that feeling of paranoia such that you could smoke one sativa and feel very paranoid and yet smoke a different sativa and feel very little or no paranoia. Yet even though these differences exist between strains most people think that all sativas give you an up paranoia filled high and that all indicas give you a very down, relaxed, couchlocked kind of high with the only differences between strains being mainly due to the amount of THC in each. Then as if the differing profiles of cannabinoids didn't make it complicate enough there is also the matter of people having different body chemistries such that two people can smoke the exact same amount and strain of cannabis and have two very different results in how it makes them feel.

Of course none of that really helps with the situation you are facing. My first suggestion to someone facing the problem you describe would be to try experimenting with different strains to find a strain the gives you the best results. Unfortunately you said that the choices available to you are limited and as such you got to just take what you can get. So my next suggestion would be to eliminate the mixing of tobacco. I realize this can be difficult since the nicotine in tobacco makes it highly addictive which can make on feeling less satisfied with the effects if tobacco isn't included. However one of the main side effects of nicotine is that it causes the blood vessels to constrict which in turn makes the heart have to work harder and that might be why you feel the way you do when you lay down after smoking a joint. Along with nicotine having the effects it does the inhaling of smoke from burning any plant material introduces toxic chemicals resulting from the combustion process which tends to reduce the amount of oxygen your blood can carry. Since distributing oxygen throughout the body is one of the main functions of blood, this too can also make the heart work harder as it tries to pump more blood to deliver the oxygen the body needs. So my next suggestion would be to either vape cannabis before bedtime to remove the unwanted toxic chemicals introduced due to combustion. Even better yet instead of smoking or vaping, just before bedtime consume edibles. There are pros and cons to edibles though, the pros being that ingesting cannabis tends to produce a more powerful high that lasts much longer which would be more helpful if you need the cannabis to improve your sleep. The cons however is that ingesting cannabis takes longer before you feel the effects (about an hour or so) which makes it a bit more difficult to time for when you want the benefits to kick in and it makes it harder to get the dosage right. Since the effects when smoking are almost instant it's much easier to get the dose right because you just put the joint out or set the bowl/bong down once you get the feeling you're looking to achieve. Because ingesting it take so much longer to hit people tend to eith take too much which can lead to overwhelming negative effects (many report that they feel like they are dying) or because of a fear of getting too much they consume too small of an amount but they don't know it's too small until an hour or so later. Forcing them to have to take a bit more and then wait another hour or so which can be a real problem if you're taking it to help you sleep.

Rider420

Some cultivars do increase your heart rate and can make you paranoid. I grew out such a plant back in the 90ies every time I smoked that one plant my heart would pound and I was sure that the cops were coming for me.
Change dealers or order from a different online source. Since cannabis has been legalized five years ago here in Canada you won't find cultivars like that in legal stores.

right

Wasn't there a famous tachycardia Neville Haze crossed to Chacos ecsd?

Edit I think I was thinking of a phenotype that felt like falling. And the tachycardia Neville Haze was someone from mns website

Last edited:

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Now I remembered why I don't grow the Destroyer (CG) anymore, the paranoia on that one is tangibe and the racy heart too, but then again, I always harvested it too early. one day I will have the patience to wait a full 14-15 weeks in the hopes to see them triches amber up.

Brother Nature

Both cannabis and tobacco inhalation, especially when smoked, increases your heart rate for a short time. It's just a side effect, as you smoke more often it lessens. I would imagine certain strains do increase this, but as long as you're a fit and active person it shouldn't be an issue, though if you're concerned, maybe talk to your doctor.

Limited evidence suggests that a person’s risk of heart attack during the first hour after smoking marijuana is nearly five times his or her usual risk.72 This observation could be partly explained by marijuana raising blood pressure (in some cases) and heart rate and reducing the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen.73 Marijuana may also cause orthostatic hypotension (head rush or dizziness on standing up), possibly raising danger from fainting and falls. Tolerance to some cardiovascular effects often develops with repeated exposure.74 These health effects need to be examined more closely, particularly given the increasing use of "medical marijuana" by people with health issues and older adults who may have increased baseline vulnerability due to age-related cardiovascular risk factors

RobertFripp

Smoke = Carbon Monoxide. Carbon Monoxide in your lungs= higher heart rate because of the displacement of oxygen vs Carbon Monoxide. High heart rate is a byproduct of inhaling smoke. Anytime you replace oxygen in your lungs with most anything else, its going to equate to a higher heart rate, because your lungs, and heart will be working harder, to try and deliver more oxygen to your body.
Simple logic.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Smoke = Carbon Monoxide. Carbon Monoxide in your lungs= higher heart rate because of the displacement of oxygen vs Carbon Monoxide. High heart rate is a byproduct of inhaling smoke. Anytime you replace oxygen in your lungs with most anything else, its going to equate to a higher heart rate, because your lungs, and heart will be working harder, to try and deliver more oxygen to your body.
Simple logic.
Not completely wrong, a side effect of smoking is, yes the inhaling of CO, but THC and possibly other cannabinoids are to blame for the tachicardia.
The effect is caused by the same capillary vasodilation that is observed in the cornea (and the flushed appearance of stoners , the white ones in particular). So the capillary action causes a MAJOR displacement in both the blood pressure peaks, lowering high pressure and increaing slightly the low pressure, this causes the pericardial vessels to relax basically and works in a similar way to nitro in an engine, the heart is missing the necessary high pressure to slow down and the lower pressure being higher gives a "faster" though weaker blood flow.
Thus the heart has to keep the work up by increasing its rate. Plus the awareness of the feeling of blood pressure lowering due to vasodilation causes an uncoscios stress response in some people that can bring adrenaline into the picture, making things worse for those who are sensitive.

Hope i didn't get too technical.