What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High heart rate after smoking weed

X15

I’ve noticed high thc strains get my heart going too fast for comfort. Also herb that was harvested early… always gets my heart rate up to an uncomfortable level. I try to stick to more balanced herb and it has a much more calming effect. Single digit thc for the win.

I’ve got an enlarged heart for the record…so I’ve grown to be very connected with what gets it going.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Just now - about 5 minutes ago - I toked a fat spliff of Amnesia Haze (auto) - saw this thread - then decided to post - my usual resting heart rate is around 47 BPM - so that's up a little bit to 55 BPM - blood pressure systolic and diastolic are in a very good zone - since I have been working on lowering my blood pressure these past couple of years - and it's worked! -

Attachments

• 2023-10-1515.36.383076767105502964558.jpg
    2023-10-1515.36.383076767105502964558.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

linde

Unfortunately that is a cannabis side effect. As well as heart palpitations. If you've got a weak heart or rhythm problem it might be a good idea to steer clear.

Rider420

If you don't want a fast heart rate then don't exercise! :rolleyes:

Sorry my bad its good for you when you exercise but bad if you use cannabis. Too funny! :giggle:

How much does heart rate increase during exercise?

Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age. In the age category closest to yours, read across to find your target heart rates. Target heart rate during moderate intensity activities is about 50-70% of maximum heart rate, while during vigorous physical activity it's about 70-85% of maximum.

For moderate-intensity exercise, 67-76% of the estimated heart rate maximum (134-152 bpm for the 20-year-old, and 107-122 bpm for our 60-year-old) would be normal. When working out in the vigorous-intensity range, 77-95% of their estimated heart rate maximum (154-190 bpm, and 123-152 bpm) would be expected.

How much does cannabis increase heart rate?

The heart rate—normally 70 to 80 beats per minute—may increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute or may even double in some cases.

Yup 134-154 bmp is just fine if your exercising but 90 to 130 is harmful if your smoking cannabis right? What a joke! Same old reefer madness taking everything out of context.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Interesting topic for sure - I have a leaky Mitral valve in my heart - which causes blood to leak back into the chamber it gets pumped from (Mitral Regurgitation) - so am waiting for heart ❤️ surgery - to get the valve fixed or replaced - and find that it's best not to imbibe some of the more 'racy' varieties of cannabis - so I stick to the varieties that help me rest, sleep and eat for now - 'erb that doesnt give me palpitations - or too much of an uptick on heart rate or blood pressure is what's best for me right now -

- I'm 63 years old atm - so it's sensible to keep an eye on the heart (the Old Ticker) - its a pump that works 24/7 all the days of our lives and will eventually need a fix/service or it will just crap out on us -

linde

If you don't want a fast heart rate then don't exercise! :rolleyes:

Sorry my bad its good for you when you exercise but bad if you use cannabis. Too funny! :giggle:

How much does heart rate increase during exercise?

Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age. In the age category closest to yours, read across to find your target heart rates. Target heart rate during moderate intensity activities is about 50-70% of maximum heart rate, while during vigorous physical activity it's about 70-85% of maximum.

For moderate-intensity exercise, 67-76% of the estimated heart rate maximum (134-152 bpm for the 20-year-old, and 107-122 bpm for our 60-year-old) would be normal. When working out in the vigorous-intensity range, 77-95% of their estimated heart rate maximum (154-190 bpm, and 123-152 bpm) would be expected.

How much does cannabis increase heart rate?

The heart rate—normally 70 to 80 beats per minute—may increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute or may even double in some cases.

Yup 134-154 bmp is just fine if your exercising but 90 to 130 is harmful if your smoking cannabis right? What a joke! Same old reefer madness taking everything out of context.
Cannabis causes palpitations while exercising does not. It's not a joke. Hundreds of thousands of people yearly are hospitalized from cannabis use. Look it up. There is a give and take with everything unfortunately.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Capillares need to function properly it will help people that have heart problems.
I resrched this before.
Capillares are like carriage heart is like horse.
Its better to have carriage in good condition horse will have easier work.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
does it happen with hemp as well?
I had experimented with hemp.
Never had that "strong and noticable" heart pump but sometimes I feel bit nervous if smoked in higher amount.
If I had been smoking about 3,5-5g of hemp a day I feel tired a bit and you can much more easy go to sleep if you didnt smoke high thc strains compared going to sleep straight.
They were HQ indoor 0.3% hemp flowers.
If you need to stop smoke weed,hemp will make bit easyier first few days. For those who cant stand first few days of rehab.

right

You see Gypsy Nirvana at least some sort of notable changing blood pressure probably psychological.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Best to sit down and rest for 5 minutes before taking blood pressure/pulse right -
Looks to me like your pulse (heart rate) is kinda high there - and you have a noticeable difference in the systolic and diastolic readings on blood pressure - from the before and after toking -

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
You see Gypsy Nirvana at least some sort of notable changing blood pressure probably psychological.
Your before pulse rate is kind of on the high side, not terribly alarming but even in poor shape it should be lower then that. This could be indicitive of a Thyroid issue called hyperthyroidism aka Graves diseas, which is where your thyroid produces too much of the enzyme it produces, which is used to regulate various body functions including your pulse. Other side effects can be that you always feel hot even in environments where everyone else is cold and/or when you hold your hand at arms length in front of you it shakes like you're nervous even though you aren't. i have this condition and the fix is pretty simple, I take one pill of a generic prescription each day. This pill has the effect of nuetralizing all the excess enzymes from the thyroid so that the systems regulated by my thyroid aren't getting bombarded. The normal resting heart rate for men adults over the age of 10 is 60 - 100 bpm although well trained athletes can have much lower rates (well done Gypsy). Your resting rate shows as 98 which is still within the normal range but just barely. What concerned me more was your rate after smoking the racey weed which was 124. That's what my rate was when I was first diagnosed with Graves Disease.

A couple of other points, first while those home blood pressure tests are a good way to monitor your blood pressure they're not known to have a terribly high degree of accuracy. They're more for just getting a rough idea and if you see something out of the ordinary you should follow up with a trained physician before jumping to an conclusions. Second the worse physical shape you're in the higher your pulse rate might be because there is more body mass that your heart has to pump the blood thru. So if you're overweight and you don't exercise regularly a rate of 98 could be normal and have nothing to do with your thyyroid. Also worth mentioning is the point Gypsy made about sitting down for 5 minutes before getting your resting rate because if you were exerting yourself a little bit just prior to that test your pulse might have been still slightly elevated. if you sat and relaxed for 5 minutes first, you might get an even lower rate then 98 without smoking the racey weed of course. Finally I'm no doctor I'm only telling you these things based on my own personal experiences. So I wouldn't worry but if you do have either of the two symptoms I mentioned along with a heart rate on the high end of normal, it would be a good idea to get a doctor's opinion.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
It's racey smoke .I hope to control my health through exercise and diet.
I've managed to do that - over the last 2 and a half years - sleep too is so important - and easier to do if you exercise regularly - overall regular exercise is the best medicine - and a good/proper diet essential - if you are hoping to enjoy a certain quality of life - and live to be a healthy person - takes a certain mind-set to keep the discipline to achieve -

GrayZone

I see you all are having some medical fun, playing doctor here...:D

Well, I didn't smoke regularly for more than 10 years. That might be it too. Now on a work day, I have a joint in the evening and during the weekend I might have a couple of joints in a day. No crazy smoking.

Although the heart rate does increase, often it's not that bad. What is uncomfortable is the feeling of the beating heart, which is pretty strong(when I lie down). Ain't that bad when sitting. Has anyone noticed that too?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I see you all are having some medical fun, playing doctor here...:D

Well, I didn't smoke regularly for more than 10 years. That might be it too. Now on a work day, I have a joint in the evening and during the weekend I might have a couple of joints in a day. No crazy smoking.

Although the heart rate does increase, often it's not that bad. What is uncomfortable is the feeling of the beating heart, which is pretty strong(when I lie down). Ain't that bad when sitting. Has anyone noticed that too?
Ya - I'd go to a real doctor and get my heart checked out - just like I did last year - after getting those palpitations particularly when lying down - you may need a service or a full overhaul - or it could be high blood pressure too - which is manageable with medication and/or supplementation combined with a sensible diet - and plenty of exercise -

- it's an odd feeling to suddenly become so aware of your heart - can cause alot of stress - unless you get it checked out - and learn to understand why it's missing a beat or beating louder than usual - maybe it's trying to get your attention?

Latest posts

Latest posts