What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HGO's Vertical Coco Run To Waste

clean setup, it really is a pain in the ass to train that many plants with screens, sometimes i sit crammed in there for 6 hours at a time tying, bending, training, fuck! with te 1k's though ive found you can cram more plants around the light if you make sure all plants are 18-20 inces away from bulb. widens your light diameter giving you a larger area for canopy, may be strain dependent but my widows will eventually get bleached by the 1k if they are any less than 12 inches away.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Interesting point bobble, thanks for the input. I'd like to try it, if you think about it my plants get a feed 2 hours before lights out so they have them two hours and the 2 hours when the lights kick back on again to use up that feed, also plants will store the nutes if they aren't used up straight away. I'm all for experimenting and trying new things, I want to do a few side by side grows and feeding times will definitely be top of the list, I'll give your method a go for sure. I just feel very happy with my feeding times the way I have them and Im cautious about changing too much because this is a commercial grow.

I'm also going to be running 24/0 for veg like I usually do but I'm going back to 13/11 at flower, I used to do this and got great results, it does push the yield up. I don't do it anymore because I've had multi strain grows every grow for at least the past 4 years, but I'm going to give it another go for this next grow and see how the plants react to it. I suppose laylow could also incorporate this into his, FOG/GPSF concept.

HGO

Last edited:

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
ODB yeah tell me about it, nobody likes a full on scrog, so much work involved but the way I see it, if it's worth doing it's worth doing right (ask me this question again during the flower stretch and see what I say :laughing:). I want this grow to focus on getting the absolute most from my lamps, there is always something that you can do to help yield. Yeah I'm not looking forward to it, dreading it actually but it all comes with the job.

Interesting points about the distance from the bulbs that you bring up ODB, I hear ya. I have to say, when growing weed donuts it is easy to think, 'hell I can get these plants so close to the bulb' and end up cramming everything around a tight space, you end up with pop corn nugs, IME 4x4 with 4-6 plants (depending on how big you grow 'em) around a 600w is perfect, it cuts out a lot of dead spots and gives a more even distribution of light to a larger surface area of your plants.

Thanks for posting.

HGO

gonzo`

looking forward to this one... From the two grows I've done of the D, the plants are fine as long as they're healthy and happy.. I'm talking lovely lush green leaves no signs of any "virus".

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Gonzo your spot on. I have been underfeeding my all plants and it's showing, even more so with the Chem D, because of the malnutrition the virus is visible, the virus is always in the Chem D but you don't see it when she is dialled (from what I've been reading) today they have picked up a lil bit and are showing a deeper green and look a bit happier, I'll keep feeding them daily to I get this fixed, a few days in the new grow room with 3 feeds per day should sort things out.

Oh and good to see ya my man!

HGO

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Sounds like it's gonna be a hell of a show 100 :lurk: You have some nice cuts and the right amount of juice to get em all pumped up should be killer!

L

laylow

I'm also going to be running 24/0 for veg like I usually do but I'm going back to 13/11 at flower, I used to do this and got great results, it does push the yield up. I don't do it anymore because I've had multi strain grows every grow for at least the past 4 years, but I'm going to give it another go for this next grow and see how the plants react to it. I suppose laylow could also incorporate this into his, FOG/GPSF concept.

HGO

Do tell more :D

13 hours on 11 hours off or the other way round? not herd of this before HGO...

bobblehead

Veteran
Do tell more :D

13 hours on 11 hours off or the other way round? not herd of this before HGO...

I have... It's strain dependent... but with the faster flowering plants, it works cause it lets them flower longer, so they can grow bigger... That extra hour of light delays maturation and prolongs pistilation/swellage (I don't know the smart word for it, so I made it up)... :)

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does the 13/11 Flowering cycle add time to the overall flowering? This looks interesting.

D

DHF

Ok.......Not to correct yas Bobbles , but plants flower and swell during lights off , and suck juice and pump resin during lights on for that "circadian rythym" ALL Old Head growers been searchin for all these yrs.....and yeah....

There`s been yield increases with increased lumens , but I`ve also seen it increase finish times as well fuckin up rotations for the yr with less harveys , so there`s tradeoffs with hybrids......

Pure Indicas will benefit from this IME and what I`ve seen over the yrs with abnormal flowering periods cuz it allows em ta stretch more before lights out during their usual 7-8 week cycle that helps bottom line yields end of cycle , but indicas don`t stretch for shit....and the increased lumens help em grow bigger till so-called stretch ends and swellage begins............

Food for thought......DHF......:ying:.......

Last edited:

bobblehead

Veteran
There ya have it... more light + juice consumed for more carbohydrate production and swellage that follows during lights off... Now I know what to do when I get the itch to grow some bubba kush... lol

megayields

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok I guess I'm as dumb as a rock id DHF saying 13/11 is good for Indica strains but not so good for hybrids? Or do I need to read what he said again? Is 13/11 a good thing or a bad thing? Does it INCREASE the "finishing" time of certain strains? Am I too dumb to get this?

Sorry but I really want to know.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Here's something I dug up from DJ Short...

DJ SHORT said:
After many years of first-hand experience breeding herb indoors as well as outdoors, I am of the opinion that the two most influential factors involving phenotypic variation and expression among current indoor herb breeding projects are the photoperiod (hours of light per day) and the angle of light in relationship to the growing plant.

Specifically, I find the single most powerful influence to the Indica dominant phenotype is the traditional 18/6 veggie cycle and 12/12 flowering cycle. The 18/6 veggie and 12/12 flower cycle is an attempt, however poor, to mimic the Indica-producing photoperiod. It is my belief that this light cycle strongly influences for Indica phenotypic expression.

Sativa phenotype characteristics will manifest under a more equatorial photoperiod, closer to a 13/11 veggie cycle and an 11/13 flower cycle. This is the light timing range to use to elicit more Sativa dominant expression from your plants.

As for the exact photoperiod formula that I incorporate into my growing/breeding regime, this will presently remain a trade secret. My advice is to experiment with different photoperiods, keep good notes and pay attention. Avoid the 18/6 and 12/12 photoperiods, while tweaking the times a bit differently with each breeding cycle until more desirable results in the finished product and their offspring are noted. Heres a hint: work in half-hour increments or a little less, and good luck! "

I hope this gives y'all advanced growers,something to think about..I'm going to try DJ's idea out..cuz if he don't know what he's doing..nobody does !

Have a good one !

Not very helpful but interesting.

bobblehead

Veteran
ok I guess I'm as dumb as a rock id DHF saying 13/11 is good for Indica strains but not so good for hybrids? Or do I need to read what he said again? Is 13/11 a good thing or a bad thing? Does it INCREASE the "finishing" time of certain strains? Am I too dumb to get this?

Sorry but I really want to know.

the amount of daylight effects hormone production. The less light, the more hormones and the faster the plant finishes. So, if you have a heavy indica, say afgooey, and you flower it under 13hs of light, it's going to stretch more than it would under a 12 hour light schedule... but the final maturation date is delayed.

If you want to run an indica, flowering under 13hs of light the first 2-4 weeks, you'll get the plants the stretch... but it's just easier to use a hybrid that stretches on it's own and produces nice big buds.

megayields

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thank you BOTH this is much clearer now. I appreciate the information, that DJ SHort quote is VERY interesting and make me want to move my light schedule around a bit.

D

DHF

From a budget standpoint on each garden usin an extra hr of 1000`s of watts per lights on cycle regardless if you lose it lights off during the bloom cycle , has always been the debate .........and ...........

It`s not worth it from everyone I`ve ever seen trying to manipulate photoperiods, and there`s never been any solid info on phenotypic traits be they Indica or sativa , as well as all the gozillion polyhybrids that`re bein run these days........

DJ Short`s touching on each end of the spectrum A-Z , but shit we`ve ve run for the last 15 yrs or so are strict polyhybrids and so mixed up with God knows what there`s no wayta say which photoperiod is best......

I always used 18/6 for preveg and cuts , and 12/12 for production.....I tried 24/0 and found it slowed the girls down IME for the babies rootin....and......

Fuck Bubba Kush for production unless yas got a clone factory pumpin out budsicles on mega cut flood tables or vert Bobble racks.......but.....

That shit`s good meds.....Coffee and hash taste with killer arthritis and insomnia therapy....

My kinda shit......fer meds.....not production......

Peace....Freds.....:ying:.......

Last edited:
L

laylow

interesting info.... i think before i fuck around with flowering times i got to find a strain i want to stick with... i hope in the next 12 months i can find a few keeper strains and stop growing seeds out and then get to work with hi food regimes different flowering times ect to max the strains out...

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
It is strain specific or to be more exact, phenotype specific and you really need to be testing it with 1 strain at a time, every pheno has it's photperiod 'sweet spot', it's just like, feeding, humidity, air flow etc, all environmental elements can be tweaked for optimal performance, lighting is the same. Even know I'm running multi strains I'm going to play around to see which strain reacts the best. I'm with you laylow, if I can narrow down 1 strain within 12 months I'll be happy :D

I'm gonna upload some plant shots. Hope your all well and high.

:D:D

HGO

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Some garden shots, still waiting on the new rooms folks, lots of set backs. The CD, Giesel, and Abusives are rootbound but I'm getting that fixed tonight. Them Chem D is starting to come around again, I mix their feed to 1.0EC then add 1ml/Ltr of calcium and magnesium, it brings the EC up lots but no burn and better nute uptake so far.

Pre '98 Bubba Kush
picture.php

Ghost OG Kush
picture.php

C4D - theherbalizor's cut
picture.php

The White
picture.php

SSSDH, The Champion
picture.php

Chemdog D
with it's damn TMV, it's getting better though, rootbound but I'm transplanting tonight
picture.php

The White S1 aka Nightmare Kush

picture.php

Giesel Mothers and Others
picture.php

Top View
picture.php

HGO

Latest posts

Latest posts