What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Here It Comes... GMO Cannabis!

P

Paco

They (Dr.ElShloy and team)have been experimenting with this at the U of Miss. you'd be surprised to know all the things they have done with cannabis down there.

nvthis

10X trichcome production? Hmmm.. As distasteful a thought as GMO cannabis is, I wouldn't mind seeing that.

dddaver

Veteran
CRAP! Follow my thinking here please. I might have a point (although I do comb my hair to try and cover it up :)). When I first read about this patented gene thing in GMOs, I thought, "Well damn. Shit's hit the fan now." Now I read this and then finally saw this was from a Canadian patent and we here liberty loving rebels :chin: down heeya in the US needn't be concerned. After all cannabis is Sched. 1 so it's off limits for research. Sativa and Marinol must just be chemical compositions not derivatives, NOBODY can legally grow, except U of Miss. Yeah, right. But then that dude said legal seeds must be had from the Canadian gov't. Shit. Big pharma in the US has the tools now they needed. Legality is really finally coming. BUT. They can mark genes in their GMO cannabis and the "legal" weed will have that. And here I was dumb enough to think progress was actually being made in the US. Not looking good at the moment.

dizzlekush

and by the way, what is beta-glucosidase meant to be??? i only know it as a cellulose binding agent, ... what you meant is β-Glucuronidase aka GUS, involved in expression studies, but it's just an agent helping to IDENTIFY the expression of METABOLITES, does not change the yield, quality, etc... hence to change the expression of those, you would have to identify the genes (most times) gene groupes responsible for the metabolite, then you would have to replace or change these genes, and hope you achieved something "helpful"... and as stated before, plants are geting new "qualities" via bio technology as: "flavr savr tomato, golden rice, blue roses, bt-mays, bt-cotton wool, ...) BUT to my knowledge there is no GMO which resulted a bigger yield due to corn size, fruit size etc.
blessss
Read the 2nd study i posted on the OP about tobacco. science isnt that difficult to understand. It's obvious that your grasp on the subject isnt that good, so you shouldn't be speaking as if you are knowledgeable in the subject. It just confuses others and slows down progress in the conversation.

Here, this should help it sink in
"Transplastomic tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) plants expressing b-glucosidase (Bgl-1) show modified development. They flower 1 month earlier with an increase in biomass (1.9-fold), height (1.5-fold), and leaf area (1.6-fold) than untransformed plants. Trichome density on the upper and lower leaf surfaces of BGL-1 plants increase by 10- and 7-fold, respectively, harboring 5-fold more glandular trichomes (as determined by rhodamine B staining), suggesting that BGL-1 lines produce more sugar esters than control plants."

headband all that article talks about in the way of GMO Cannabis is that there was suspicion that the Cannabis being grown as Univ of Miss came from Monsanto. There is no actual evidence of this, and even less evidence that the Cannabis is GMO. If anything, THAT article could be considered sensationalist.

You said
"plenty of papers here and there that say yes GMO have their hands in cannabis lol"

Again i would like any evidence that what you said is true.

P

Paco

the cannabis grown at UMISS comes from DEA seizures as well as hortapharm BV. Lightforms, another member on the site, printed the papers that Elsholy published about creating GMO cannabis. I can ask if he'd like to post up a few pages of it. If anything, he (Elsholy) is breeding cannabis for Monsanto. not the other way around. However, most of the papers are geared toward medical cannabis applications, and begin with a paragraph or two about how cannabis has been used as medicine for centuries.

dizzlekush

the cannabis grown at UMISS comes from DEA seizures as well as hortapharm BV. Lightforms, another member on the site, printed the papers that Elsholy published about creating GMO cannabis. I can ask if he'd like to post up a few pages of it. If anything, he (Elsholy) is breeding cannabis for Monsanto. not the other way around. However, most of the papers are geared toward medical cannabis applications, and begin with a paragraph or two about how cannabis has been used as medicine for centuries.

Thank you Paco!

Please do ask lightforms. i would love to read it & have it added to this thread.

dddaver

Veteran
Now I don't profess to be any kind of genetic scientist, but I think Elshoy growing just for Monsanto his GMOs is pretty naive. Pollen is VERY prolific and very often air-borne only. It would take just one plant, just one little mistake, just one instance of release, unless extraordinary steps are taken to prevent that. Hell, a pollen ...cell/grain? could cling to someone's hair. I don't say your 100% wrong man, I just don't believe that those young, volunteer, stoner interns there would demonstrate the necessary care to be that careful.

mr.brunch

Veteran
all in the name of patents... thats the important thing, they had to find a way to patent the weed, monopolise seed production, and gm'ing a plant is obviously the way.

P

Paco

FWIW, the students at the pharmacology program are not stoners. I imagine, like it was along time ago, that the folks working that program are working in a fish bowl. Not to mention these "stoners" are PHD candidates, so the publications are not in the same style as the majority of posts and threads on the net.
As for the GMO purpose, the paper seems to point to the fact that it can be done without any other implications for the technology,seeing that we all know what gmo organisms are used for, so it goes with out saying.

HemperFi

Sounds like the banksters and the greedy corporations they own are securing their profits for the time cannabis becomes a legal medicine world wide. They control the laws too. Nothing these evil men do shock me. They want to control the entire world and everything in it.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Read the 2nd study i posted on the OP about tobacco. science isnt that difficult to understand. It's obvious that your grasp on the subject isnt that good, so you shouldn't be speaking as if you are knowledgeable in the subject. It just confuses others and slows down progress in the conversation.

Here, this should help it sink in
"Transplastomic tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) plants expressing b-glucosidase (Bgl-1) show modified development. They flower 1 month earlier with an increase in biomass (1.9-fold), height (1.5-fold), and leaf area (1.6-fold) than untransformed plants. Trichome density on the upper and lower leaf surfaces of BGL-1 plants increase by 10- and 7-fold, respectively, harboring 5-fold more glandular trichomes (as determined by rhodamine B staining), suggesting that BGL-1 lines produce more sugar esters than control plants."

headband all that article talks about in the way of GMO Cannabis is that there was suspicion that the Cannabis being grown as Univ of Miss came from Monsanto. There is no actual evidence of this, and even less evidence that the Cannabis is GMO. If anything, THAT article could be considered sensationalist.

You said
"plenty of papers here and there that say yes GMO have their hands in cannabis lol"

Again i would like any evidence that what you said is true.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1322.html

LOL LOL LOL You are kidding right you really believe in your heart of hearts that Monsanto doesn't have their paws in the cannabis seed? lol.. WOW.. You can type this in yourself all you need to do is type in CC and Monsantos 20 years ago. You do know who Monsantos is right? You do know what they do right? lol.. and who they do it for? need I say more..
So I don't have to copy and paste anything here there was another comment made about the USA's funding of cannabis research being that it was a schedule 1 drug and all. This has got to be one of the USA's bigger jokes. As the U.S backs Isreal which is the biggest researcher on cannabis and the US does it's own research in it's own Univercities telling all others that they can not or else! Yeah they are what ppl like to call BULLIES! headband 707:)

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
CRAP! Follow my thinking here please. I might have a point (although I do comb my hair to try and cover it up :)). When I first read about this patented gene thing in GMOs, I thought, "Well damn. Shit's hit the fan now." Now I read this and then finally saw this was from a Canadian patent and we here liberty loving rebels :chin: down heeya in the US needn't be concerned. After all cannabis is Sched. 1 so it's off limits for research. Sativa and Marinol must just be chemical compositions not derivatives, NOBODY can legally grow, except U of Miss. Yeah, right. But then that dude said legal seeds must be had from the Canadian gov't. Shit. Big pharma in the US has the tools now they needed. Legality is really finally coming. BUT. They can mark genes in their GMO cannabis and the "legal" weed will have that. And here I was dumb enough to think progress was actually being made in the US. Not looking good at the moment.

Look I understand everyone screaming legalize cannabis stop the madness and I'm all for stopping the MADNESS from these completely insane Govs. I have been around Govs. long enough to know that they can NOT be trusted. For the very small amount of time they have tried to get in cannabis already all they want is cash, cash, cash. They don't give two shot about anyone for any reason. They are pure scum no two ways about it headband 707:)

dizzlekush

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1322.html

LOL LOL LOL You are kidding right you really believe in your heart of hearts that Monsanto doesn't have their paws in the cannabis seed? lol.. WOW.. You can type this in yourself all you need to do is type in CC and Monsantos 20 years ago. You do know who Monsantos is right? You do know what they do right? lol.. and who they do it for? need I say more..
So I don't have to copy and paste anything here there was another comment made about the USA's funding of cannabis research being that it was a schedule 1 drug and all. This has got to be one of the USA's bigger jokes. As the U.S backs Isreal which is the biggest researcher on cannabis and the US does it's own research in it's own Univercities telling all others that they can not or else! Yeah they are what ppl like to call BULLIES! headband 707:)

Again you provide no proof, instead you just provided an article that was already quoted in your first link. The only mention about monsanto is the exact same thing that was mentioned in your last link. I guess you dont really take the time to read the articles.

"Cannabis seeds from Monsanto are almost definitely genetically engineered. Genetically engineered plants can be patented, and it is in Monsanto's best interest to hold a patent on any seed they sell."

The exact same speculative quote from the same 'sensationalist' author. no evidence at all of GMO cannabis. Again im looking for LEGITIMATE proof of GMO cannabis before this, not some paranoid stoner authors that have their suspicion that Monsanto is releasing Terminator Cannabis seeds.

LOL LOL LOL You are kidding right you really believe in your heart of hearts that Monsanto doesn't have their paws in the cannabis seed? ... So I don't have to copy and paste anything here
smile.gif
Sure, you dont have to try to prove the stuff you make up, that would be very hard to do. just as long as nobody takes you seriously.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Again you provide no proof, instead you just provided an article that was already quoted in your first link. The only mention about monsanto is the exact same thing that was mentioned in your last link. I guess you dont really take the time to read the articles.

"Cannabis seeds from Monsanto are almost definitely genetically engineered. Genetically engineered plants can be patented, and it is in Monsanto's best interest to hold a patent on any seed they sell."

The exact same speculative quote from the same 'sensationalist' author. no evidence at all of GMO cannabis. Again im looking for LEGITIMATE proof of GMO cannabis before this, not some paranoid stoner authors that have their suspicion that Monsanto is releasing Terminator Cannabis seeds.

Sure, you dont have to try to prove the stuff you make up, that would be very hard to do. just as long as nobody takes you seriously.

Again your fucking kidding right LOL It's you that is hard to take seriously bra lol.. What exactly do you think Monsanto's is doing? You think their name just pops up once and awhile because they are the BIG SEED COMPANY that wouldn't dream of touching the cannabis seeds? LOL LOL LOL Yeah that is funny..
God knows that no one would fuck with the cannabis seed that would be wrong right LOL..
You know our Gov has never had their hands in this either right lol.
Get a grip..
As with all my threads I'm really good at making shit up perhaps you need to go back and READ that first link I gave you read it again. lol
You know how much trust I have in what our Gov says and does? I'm glad your all good with what they have told you.. lol headband 707:woohoo:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>insults edited out, pls chill out!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:

dizzlekush

Its not MY job to comb through articles to find proof to validate your statements, its YOUR job. Im not gonna waste my time with massive articles that you've just provided a link to, with no quotes of any significance.

Also i noticed that all of these articles 'sources' are just other low grade blog/articles, no patents owned by Monsanto showing GM Cannabis, no studies, no New York Times, nothing of any significance.

You seen the pics of the plants growing at UMiss? do they really look like GM super strains?

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
10X trichcome production? Hmmm.. As distasteful a thought as GMO cannabis is, I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Yeah it's not like they can't go both ways lol.. I will assume they can and have just for the wrong reasons and for the wrong ppl .. headband 707:woohoo:

waveguide

Veteran
it's a no brainer. money, power, control.

sure as fuck weed is socially significant enough to attract the interest of genmodders.. ppl smoke it for the psychological effect..

ever noticed that power propagates itself via psychological effect?

you're asking the man for proof?

"please, illuminati, show us your master plan documents"

you know what they say about arguing with certain persons

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Okay I look at it like this .. I'm a seed person I love seeds all kinds of seeds I would collect and plant seeds my whole life if I could.I would if I had a lab do all kinds of experiments with all kinds of seeds the skys the limit really. The only thing stopping me would be my Gov.'s rules/regulations. Even then I might find ways around that to do what I wanted just because I could. I do believe as was pointed out earlier that they are playing in Missisippi if I'm not mistaken. headband 707

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts