What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Here It Comes... GMO Cannabis!

dizzlekush

We all knew it was happening...

Here's a patent published this year. Like most patents, it was HUGE, but this patent had this tiny fact that almost got buried (perhaps intentionally?) in the articles massiveness. They're patenting GMO 'illicit' crops now.

IMPROVED AGRONOMIC TRAITS VIA GENETICALLY INDUCED ELEVATION OF PHYTOHORMONE LEVELS IN PLANTS

9. A transgenic plant that overexpresses Bgl1 relative to a corresponding wild-type plant, wherein said transgenic plant has increased biomass, increased height, increased trichome density or increased seed production relative to a wild type plant.
10. The transgenic plant of claim 9, which comprises a plastid stably transformed with a plastid transformation vector that comprises an expression cassette comprising, as operably linked components in the 5' to the 3' direction of translation, a promoter operative in said plastid, a selectable marker sequence, a heterologous polynucleotide sequence coding for Bgl gene, transcription termination functional in said plastid, and flanking each side of the expression cassette, flanking DNA sequences which are homologous to a DNA sequence of a plastid genome of said plastid, whereby stable integration of the heterologous coding sequence into the plastid genome of the target plant is facilitated through homologous recombination of the flanking sequence with the homologous sequences in said plastid genome.
11. The transgenic plant of claim 9 which is a monocotyledonous or dicotyledonous plant.
12. The transgenic plant of claim 9 which is maize, rice, grass, rye, barley, oat, wheat, soybean, peanut, grape, potato, sweet potato, pea, canola, tobacco, tomato or cotton.
13. The transgenic plant of claim 9 which is edible for mammals and humans.
14. The transgenic plant of claim 9, which is a plant selected from the group consisting of acacia, alfalfa, apple, apricot, artichoke, ash tree, asparagus, avocado, banana, barley, beans, beet, birch, beech, blackberry, blueberry, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, canola, cantaloupe, carrot, cassava, cauliflower, cedar, a cereal, celery, chestnut, cherry, Chinese cabbage, citrus, Clementine, clover, coffee, cotton, cowpea, cucumber, cypress, eggplant, elm, endive, eucalyptus, fennel, figs, fir, geranium, grape, grapefruit, groundnuts, ground cherry, gum hemlock, hickory, kale, kiwifruit, kohlrabi, larch, lettuce, leek, lemon, lime, locust, pine, maidenhair, maize, mango, maple, melon, millet, mushroom, mustard, nuts, oak, oats, okra, onion, orange, an ornamental plant or flower or tree, papaya, palm, parsley, parsnip, pea, peach, peanut, pear, peat, pepper, persimmon, pigeon pea, pine, pineapple, plantain, plum, pomegranate, potato, pumpkin, radicchio, radish, rapeseed, raspberry, rice, rye, sorghum, sallow, spinach, spmce, squash, strawberry, sugarbeet, sugarcane, sunflower, sweet potato, sweet corn, tangerine, tea, tobacco, tomato, trees, triticale, turf grasses, turnips, a vine, walnut, watercress, watermelon, wheat, yams, yew, and zucchini.
15. The transgenic plant of claim 9, wherein said transgenic plant is Cannabis sativa, Papaver somniferum or Erythorxylum coca.
16....(patent continues)
http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wipo/Improved-agronomic-traits-via-genetically/WO2012006622.html

By the way, those 2 plants after Cannabis sativa are the Opium Poppy and a species of the Coca plant (cultivated for cocaine.) Just to show you how relevant this actually is, this is what the transgenic mutation that is disclosed in the patent does to tobacco (which you can also see listed in the patent above).
Release of Hormones from Conjugates: Chloroplast Expression of b-Glucosidase Results in Elevated Phytohormone Levels Associated with Significant Increase in Biomass and Protection from Aphids or Whiteflies Conferred by Sucrose Esters
Shuangxia Jin, Anderson Kanagaraj, Dheeraj Verma, Theo Lange, and Henry Daniell

Transplastomic tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) plants expressing b-glucosidase (Bgl-1) show modified development. They flower 1 month earlier with an increase in biomass (1.9-fold), height (1.5-fold), and leaf area (1.6-fold) than untransformed plants. Trichome density on the upper and lower leaf surfaces of BGL-1 plants increase by 10- and 7-fold, respectively, harboring 5-fold more glandular trichomes (as determined by rhodamine B staining), suggesting that BGL-1 lines produce more sugar esters than control plants. Gibberellin (GA) levels were investigated because it is a known regulator of flowering time, plant height, and trichome development. Both GA1 and GA4 levels are 2-fold higher in BGL-1 leaves than in untransformed plants but do not increase in other organs. In addition, elevated levels of other plant hormones, including zeatin and indole-3-acetic acid, are observed in BGL-1 lines. Protoplasts from BGL-1 lines divide and form calli without exogenous hormones. Cell division in protoplasts is enhanced 7-fold in the presence of exogenously applied zeatin-O-glucoside conjugate, indicating the release of active hormones from their conjugates. Whitefly (Bemisia tabaci) and aphid (Myzus persicae) populations in control plants are 18 and 15 times higher than in transplastomic lines, respectively. Lethal dose to kill 50% of the test population values of 26.3 and 39.2 mg per whitefly and 23.1 and 35.2 mg per aphid for BGL-1 and untransformed control exudates, respectively, confirm the enhanced toxicity of transplastomic exudates. These data indicate that increase in sugar ester levels in BGL-1 lines might function as an effective biopesticide. This study provides a novel strategy for designing plants for enhanced biomass production and insect control by releasing plant hormones or sugar esters from their conjugates stored within their chloroplasts.

M

MrSterling

Yeah man, but where's a link to the patent, why did you cut it off when it began to talk about cannabis? Who is this even from? This is just sensationalist to post without any actual context or information. I feel like part 15 could just as easily say "cannabis, poppies, and coca aren't included in our production due to their illegal nature".

purple_man

Veteran
what is so surprising/new? since years marinol and now sativex are being sold via prescription -> money for big pharma corps... you think the papaver they talk about is not the same one bred in laborotiries in the states and europe and field trialed in afghanistan? same for coca plants.... there are university and pharma research being done on it for ages... by the way, there is a science group transforming e coli, so that they can produce pure thc9 at the price of 2000 dollars a kg!!!! (only problem yet is the needed substrate which is to expensive -> they try finding an alternative precursor/substrate)

the real sad part to me is, why are we simple folks "civilians" allowed to carry out our own research? but big $ having organizations can...

let the patent wars begin :)

blessss

purple_man

Veteran
and by the way, those claims in the paper are rather "naive", "transgenics yield higher, ..." only if they have been bred for this via transformation, which is not really happening... at the current stage of biotech possibilities, there is no way to engineer increased yield or seed count since those factors are regulated by MANY genes, and not single ones or few, hence the transformations taking place are rather for fundamental research, or broadening the range of producable compounds of cultivars (example insulin manufactured by plants). the quantitative aspects as called in plants biotech are a future dream. so i guess this is another patent which passed the inspection and regulatory paths, via lobbying...

dizzlekush

This is just sensationalist to post without any actual context or information. I feel like part 15 could just as easily say "cannabis, poppies, and coca aren't included in our production due to their illegal nature".

http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wipo/Improved-agronomic-traits-via-genetically/WO2012006622.html

Apparently you dont read patents. if you understood the language in which patents are written you would have known that i'd probably already included everything in the patent that discussed cannabis, and that is all the context the patent provides. The patent is HUGE, and thats all it mentions about the production of GMO illegal crops. I left nothing of value out, nor did i edit it to make it seem like it meant something other than it actually intended. read it for yourself next time before you accuse me of mishandling or over-editing the subject. I dont appreciate you calling my post sensationalist. either you dont know how to properly use the word, or you just in the mood to insult and belittle.

Try contributing for once before criticizing others contributions. Never seen you post anything of value in this sub-forum.

and by the way, those claims in the paper are rather "naive", "transgenics yield higher, ..." only if they have been bred for this via transformation, which is not really happening... at the current stage of biotech possibilities, there is no way to engineer increased yield or seed count since those factors are regulated by MANY genes, and not single ones or few, hence the transformations taking place are rather for fundamental research

Sorry, but thats completely incorrect. Its a simple b-Glucosidase overexpression. Will very easily increase yield, tried and true proven science.

sprinkl

Veteran
What about industrial hemp and coca/poppy plants for the pharmaceutical industry?
Doesn't have to imply legal crops imo...

dizzlekush

@purple_man ive added a study to the 1st post to prove that this is not naive patent gibberish, but very relevant science and actually a possible significant beginning in the world of patented illicit GMO crops.

M

MrSterling

Don't get mad at me because you made a post about a patent that originally neither linked the patent nor mentioned who was behind it. I'm not here to stir shit, but I'm not gonna be the bad guy for pointing out your lack of information or citation. Good luck to ya, Mac. I won't bother your thread any more.

mr.brunch

Veteran
We all knew it was happening...

Here's a patent published this year. Like most patents, it was HUGE, but this patent had this tiny fact that almost got buried (perhaps intentionally?) in the articles massiveness. They're patenting GMO 'illicit' crops now.

By the way, those 2 plants after Cannabis sativa are the Opium Poppy and a species of the Coca plant (cultivated for cocaine.) Just to show you how relevant this actually is, this is what the transgenic mutation that is disclosed in the patent does to tobacco.
i knew it was just a matter of time.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Humm I though ppl already knew GMO had joined the party long ago but does that really surprise you guys? They play with seeds all seeds cannabis is going to be on their radar. There was some type of paper released 20 years ago to CC about GMO joining Health Canada and making cannabis at 8% I believe it is. If you see the bud that is out there now I think they won lol.ANyways there are plenty of papers here and there that say yes GMO have their hands in cannabis lol headband 707

dizzlekush

Humm I though ppl already knew GMO had joined the party long ago but does that really surprise you guys? ANyways there are plenty of papers here and there that say yes GMO have their hands in cannabis lol headband 707
please show me some them. add them to the thread please. it'd be appreciated.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good thread
thanks for the heads up dizzlekush, surprising news, but then again, we should not be surprised by this, everyone wants in the weed game

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Not to worry...GMO will only matter in a corperate situation. Backyard growers will still have the killer genetics to be sure.

I mean there are GMO tomatoes, yet you can get heirloom seeds right?

minds_I

CFP65

how long then before the pollen of the GMO hits some of our plants?
how long before some GMO company goes to the med-club and finds their marker in some of the stash, and then how long before the court claim - exposure - conviction?
this already happened with rapeseeds.

purple_man

Veteran
no one forces anybody to buy GMO stuff, and if you are afraid of it polluting your genepool, youll have to breed your plants indoor or greenhouses where crosspollination with GMOs is prevented, and viola you still got your genepool transgene free :)

and by the way, what is beta-glucosidase meant to be??? i only know it as a cellulose binding agent, ... what you meant is β-Glucuronidase aka GUS, involved in expression studies, but it's just an agent helping to IDENTIFY the expression of METABOLITES, does not change the yield, quality, etc... hence to change the expression of those, you would have to identify the genes (most times) gene groupes responsible for the metabolite, then you would have to replace or change these genes, and hope you achieved something "helpful"... and as stated before, plants are geting new "qualities" via bio technology as: "flavr savr tomato, golden rice, blue roses, bt-mays, bt-cotton wool, ...) BUT to my knowledge there is no GMO which resulted a bigger yield due to corn size, fruit size etc...

of course you could argue that, bt-mays increases yield due to having a higher survival rate agains corn borrers... but hey...

blessss

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
no one forces anybody to buy GMO stuff, and if you are afraid of it polluting your genepool, youll have to breed your plants indoor or greenhouses where crosspollination with GMOs is prevented, and viola you still got your genepool transgene free :)

and by the way, what is beta-glucosidase meant to be??? i only know it as a cellulose binding agent, ... what you meant is β-Glucuronidase aka GUS, involved in expression studies, but it's just an agent helping to IDENTIFY the expression of METABOLITES, does not change the yield, quality, etc... hence to change the expression of those, you would have to identify the genes (most times) gene groupes responsible for the metabolite, then you would have to replace or change these genes, and hope you achieved something "helpful"... and as stated before, plants are geting new "qualities" via bio technology as: "flavr savr tomato, golden rice, blue roses, bt-mays, bt-cotton wool, ...) BUT to my knowledge there is no GMO which resulted a bigger yield due to corn size, fruit size etc...

of course you could argue that, bt-mays increases yield due to having a higher survival rate agains corn borrers... but hey...

blessss

GMO in cannabis is and will always be the worst thing besides dea/Gov that has happened to cannabis. They really went in with all intentions of control and what they have done throughout the WORLD is criminal to say the LEST. They have created a whole speices of weeds resisitant to anything because of their OVER USE OF PRESTICIDES! They are in a word ASSHOLES..
I could have told them before they got started down this road it wasn't going to work and I don't even have as many scientists on my team LOL..They are being sued up the ass just as they should be but what they have done to the land it's too late . They like the Gov need to be STOPPED..
As far as buying GMO SHIT it's everywhere and has been for years it's been shoved down our thoats because to continue to buy organic you need to be able to afford this ,most ppl can't headband 707

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
how long then before the pollen of the GMO hits some of our plants?
how long before some GMO company goes to the med-club and finds their marker in some of the stash, and then how long before the court claim - exposure - conviction?
this already happened with rapeseeds.

Well the story is here that they are all up in the Canadian seedbank... Health Canada's seedband for the legal/med grower . So for example if I'm a legal grower I have to buy seeds from health Canada and these are the seeds they put out. They don't tell you what they are just prices. For example 120 seeds for $80.00 approx. These are supposed to be their seeds,(GMO) If ppl have been buying and using these seeds it would say a lot about the quality of cannabis right now on the market. The next story is about Prairses I believe it's called they grow cannabis for the Gov. He is a good grower and was growing cannabis at 15%and was told that ppl complained that it was too stronge and he had to make it 8% instead which is why it SUCKS! headband 707:tiphat: