What's new

Hemp Russet Mites!! Help?

kneecapman

AF1QipOzg7m09sjHJkotWQsQ2wE9jbBof0MOoOD79Wqx

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
They are not that easy to eradicate. I doubt you got em all, and you gotta get em all.. kneecaps....

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I had them on some clones I got recently. So I really didnt have an outbreak, but I went nuclear! Lol. I trimmed them back to almost no leaves and put a NPS in the space. I then used Forbid4f.....3 days later Avid.....3 days later Forbid4f. It's been about 3 weeks since my last treatment. I've been scoping leaves daily and haven't seen any. The one Hammer's Kush clone had them real bad. After the last treatment, I saw dead mites on it but none alive. But now it has been a couple weeks since I have even seen a dead one. I never really could identify their eggs. :dunno:

Anyway, that is my experience with those tiny fukrs! I've been growing for almost 20 yrs and never had anything except powerdery mildew. And then the first bug I get is RM! FTW! Hahahaha! :biglaugh: I hope they are burning in bug Hell right now. I still have the NPS in there. Too scared to take it out! Lol

mushroombrew

Veteran
I had them on some clones I got recently. So I really didnt have an outbreak, but I went nuclear! Lol. I trimmed them back to almost no leaves and put a NPS in the space. I then used Forbid4f.....3 days later Avid.....3 days later Forbid4f. It's been about 3 weeks since my last treatment. I've been scoping leaves daily and haven't seen any. The one Hammer's Kush clone had them real bad. After the last treatment, I saw dead mites on it but none alive. But now it has been a couple weeks since I have even seen a dead one. I never really could identify their eggs. :dunno:

Anyway, that is my experience with those tiny fukrs! I've been growing for almost 20 yrs and never had anything except powerdery mildew. And then the first bug I get is RM! FTW! Hahahaha! :biglaugh: I hope they are burning in bug Hell right now. I still have the NPS in there. Too scared to take it out! Lol

Avid twice is ok. Forbid of Floramite take ages to clear if you apply twice.

The good news is there won't be a living mite for miles!!

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Ikr! I wasn't taking any chances because if those mites got to my flower tent I was gonna have to shut down and clean. :noway: To hell with that!

The forbid did burn the plants a good bit. Took a week or more for them to shake it off. I mixed the forbid at 1.2 ml per gallon. Same dilution rate with the Avid too.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
That works for me. Just have to flower the couple veg plants I hit a couple weeks longer than usual. I mainly just hit the bonzai mums though. Only had a few veg plants that got hit. And all but one are still vegging

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
60 days on Forbid and avid. Alternating them is a great idea, but ya gotta wait 6 or 7 days between sprayings. Forbid does not burn plants. And using them does not gtee eradication, as BM/RM's can lurk on equipment, dirt bags, whatever. Take em more seriously, they will ruin ya. Best is to move to a new place, unless your plants are very small, and easier to kill all the bugs on. No shit, Man. I too had decades of no problems (with proactive actions, of course) then got wiped out in CA and later Michigan. Had to start over. We had ZERO information in CA then... In fact, the dispo I got the clones from had warnings all over the place for TMV (Tobacco Mosaic Virus) as the cause of the Leaf Taco-ing... ! We had to find out the hard way. Even old-school growers in Mendocino, and new upstarts had NO clue.

Now, here in Maine, almost all the clones I see pictured on the Clone and Seed exchange FB Page are infested.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
The forbid burned my plants as well as another members on here. And I never really had an infestation. They were just on one small clone. And my grow space is very clean. It's been almost 4 weeks since my last treatment and havent even seen one mite since. I even scoped all the plants earlier this morning.

Unfortunately joining the thread here :(, I'm seeing symptoms on my plants that point to Russet or Broad mites but I can't find a single egg nor can I find a mite. Using 60x-100x loop and handheld scope, Plants are about a month old in veg, this started about 15 days in once the plants had been moved into new facility, I've started treating by spraying sulfur, spraying dr zymes, green cleaner, they just seem to keep curling up but I'm still not seeing any moving mites or eggs at all.
It starts slow and then just progresses to a full curl/taco, over about 5-7 day span, I'm starting to wonder if I have mites or maybe another unknown issue. I brought in a "test" healthy clone after all my plants had gotten these curling symptoms, just to kinda see if the symptoms moved to the new clone and it did, after about 4 days, I've scoped the clone and cant find anything on it, it was transplanted into coco that the others were and it was fed water that the others were, also is in the same room as the others so same environmental conditions. I believe its a bug but not being able to see any signs has me wondering, could it be bad water? I just moved to a new space, using water from a bath tub, seems clean coming in at 90 ppm but I really don't know where to turn here If i can't see anything and the plants just keeping getting worse.

Progression of curling: (pics 1 & 2 are of healthy test clone, it started looking perfect, has now progressed to these pics.)
1)
picture.php

2)
picture.php

**Here is a plant that is further along in its curl
picture.php

**Pic of a plant at early onset of symptoms
picture.php

cronicle

Once it moves to the center , you can only
Hope they do not become duds. If they are spreading to new plants, your in desperate space before you just trash em. I gave a
Pyganic did not see them recover so o trashed em. Start fresh

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
any peeps heard of the sugar water treatment?
5 lbs of sugar dissolved in to 5 gallons of water then sprayed on plants?
i hear it works well from reliable peeps who knocked them out this season.....

kneecapman

They are not that easy to eradicate. I doubt you got em all, and you gotta get em all.. kneecaps....

Oh you are quite right sir. I knew going in that I wasn't going to eradicate them from my garden. I did read this whole thread as well as some others. I continue to use Nuke Em, even spraying buds after trimming and before drying.

So I learned that you can spray equipment and tools with a mid-strength solution of Nuke Em. I continue to spray every plant in all cycles of life at watering. Babies get sprayed every other day. I keep the rooms immaculately clean now. I spray the cuts that are rooting. I sprayed seedlings on day 3 after planting with a 1/2 strength solution.

It seems like I am seeing the tacoing of leaf blades still as a first sign that a plant has a lot of them on it, but other than that, the buds are healthy and the veg crops are lush green. No deficiencies. I grow in a home made soil mix.

I read somewhere where someone was bombing their grow spaces regularly and still had russets 3 years in. I don't expect that they will ever go away as I have seen the eggs. I seen the eggs on things on my property that are no where near any growing spaces.

All of that being said, I doubt you could actually kill all the russets on one plant unless you spray it until it is totally saturated and using a wetting agent. These bastards are like nothing I ever seen. The Nuke Em is working just fine for now, but any amount of slacking on spraying it results in plant damage. I let a clone in a cup go for a little over a week and it was decimated. Bottom leaves brown and curled up, middle shelf leaves deformed and deficiency laden, the top was still green but the new growth was like someone chopped the leaves in half. The next day that new growth was brown. I might do a time-lapse of that shit.

Anyways, just checking back in. I really haven't been taking any pictures, the ones I took don't have a real home online yet. When I get more time I will do that.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i run a closet - i used a no pest strip
and 1 spray of forbid
and i havent had an issue since
dunno how big your op is, but
i will say forbid burns shit if you are running at full wattage
but if you can dial back, youll be better under the treatment
forbid is nothing like a heavy oil spray tho
neem and azo and sesame oils are way worse at burning my girls

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I used a no pest and sprayed forbid, 3 days later Avid, 3 days later forbid. Havent seen them in over 2 months. I still scope regularly lookin for a come back. But havent seen anything. I probably went over board because after the first forbid spray I scoped the plants and they were all dead. But I wasn't taking any chances

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Here's some great info on pesticides and russet mite strategies from Kevin Jodrey at Wonderland nursery.

at the end of this video he tells how they fought russets on his farm this year in flower using predator bugs.

Failing Cannabis Pesticide Tests Even When You Don't Use Pesticides
[YOUTUBEIF]_eAX--Zy7Vk[/YOUTUBEIF]

this video has more info on russets but watch the 1st one also because there's more info on treatment in that one not in this one.

How to Detect and Fight Russet Mites on Cannabis Plants
[YOUTUBEIF]AUUmulLBbdI[/YOUTUBEIF]

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man, that was quite the read!

I just trashed my grow because of these HRM bastids. Guess it’s a good thing I only had 3 clones!

Just in time for a good thorough cleaning.

Latest posts

Latest posts