What's new

Help this stoner out...

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
it could just be some residual damage from before, mine looked a lot like that with the tips brown. after 3 nodes or so there was no damage and everything was going healthy.

papaduc

Veteran
No I actually didn't yet because I was afraid of burning them...so leave the bloom at 9 and bump the micro to say 8?

No, you don't need the bloom at that strength at this stage.
Switch them round so the micro makes up more of the ec than the bloom, and just go to 1.0-1.2 with it. Simple as that.

it could just be some residual damage from before, mine looked a lot like that with the tips brown. after 3 nodes or so there was no damage and everything was going healthy.

That's true as well. They could be alright from here.

I'd switch the feeds around either way.

GonjaLove

Ok question...say I had a couple seedlings, working on their first set of true leaves...roots exploding out the bottom of the rockwool...I wanna transfer to beer cups. What feed should I introduce? Start out at 0-3-4.5?

papaduc

Veteran
What feed should I introduce? Start out at 0-3-4.5?

Do me a big favour, and everyone reading this thread, including any new growers out there who might be having the same problems as you, and follow this basic advice to a T and post the results for everyone to see.

There is a basic method for getting plants in an inert medium like coco to produce results, and it is tried and tested and proven on hundreds of individual plants.

Either get a basic one part veg feed, or make up your own using the micro&bloom - and I really would advise a new grower trying to get a guaranteed start to just buy the 1 part to eliminate even the small possibility of a mistake - and feed it at 0.8ec on top of your tap water as soon as they pop their first little leaves out.

If you decide to use the micro and bloom, mix them 50/50. If you're putting in slightly more of one than the other, make it the micro.

If you go for the one part, grab some maxigrow (not bloom) or something similar.

Post back your results.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Do me a big favour, and everyone reading this thread, including any new growers out there who might be having the same problems as you, and follow this basic advice to a T and post the results for everyone to see.

There is a basic method for getting plants in an inert medium like coco to produce results, and it is tried and tested and proven on hundreds of individual plants.

Either get a basic one part veg feed, or make up your own using the micro&bloom - and I really would advise a new grower trying to get a guaranteed start to just buy the 1 part to eliminate even the small possibility of a mistake - and feed it at 0.8ec on top of your tap water as soon as they pop their first little leaves out.

If you decide to use the micro and bloom, mix them 50/50. If you're putting in slightly more of one than the other, make it the micro.

If you go for the one part, grab some maxigrow (not bloom) or something similar.

Post back your results.

Anyone reading this thread don't take this guys advice without reading both the K.I.S.S thread about using straight maxibloom for the entire grow (no maxigrow) and the various 6/9 micro bloom threads where the micro is ALWAYS used in less quantity than the bloom. Hundreds of pictures and posted results on this forum showing papa doesn't tread the most traveled path:biggrin:

Snow Crash

Veteran

Post back your results.

I'll rock out a pure CNS17 grow once I finish the Cyco Platinum kit I'm working through now. Probably 5 more weeks.

People need to see what this stuff can do.

papaduc

Veteran
Anyone reading this thread don't take this guys advice without reading both the K.I.S.S thread about using straight maxibloom for the entire grow (no maxigrow) and the various 6/9 micro bloom threads where the micro is ALWAYS used in less quantity than the bloom. Hundreds of pictures and posted results on this forum showing papa doesn't tread the most traveled path:biggrin:

There are thousands, not hundreds, thousand of gardeners the world over who are using veg nutrients which are balanced to give good results in the veg phase.

When you talk about systems like 6/9, you are talking about systems which have been devised by people who themselves are not treading the most traveled path.

And when you talk about the KISS thread, you are talking about a thread which was started by a grower who's only idea was to promote a simple system, and not in any way intended to suggest that people could and should not use grow nutrients, including maxigrow.

There is no better or more simple way of starting seeds in coco than by using 1.0ec of balanced veg nutrient and if there is, and if you would share your results with us, I'd be eager to see it.

This is what 1.0ec of basic veg feed produces in 3 weeks from the first picture.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tread whatever path you want, but make sure that whoever is telling you to tread there is willing to show you the way.

papaduc

Veteran
I'll rock out a pure CNS17 grow once I finish the Cyco Platinum kit I'm working through now. Probably 5 more weeks.

People need to see what this stuff can do.

They do. In fact they need to see what any one part nute line will do once you feed it properly. I already know (unless it's been changed) the ratios of the CNS and have recommended it before. It seems very similar to what I use to start seedlings and I am 100% sure that, fed at the right amount, it will give you good results.

When people use a basic feed and nothing else, and get to grips with/lose their fear of feeding from the very beginning in coco, they will be hard pressed to ever better those results.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
There are thousands, not hundreds, thousand of gardeners the world over who are using veg nutrients which are balanced to give good results in the veg phase.

When you talk about systems like 6/9, you are talking about systems which have been devised by people who themselves are not treading the most traveled path.

And when you talk about the KISS thread, you are talking about a thread which was started by a grower who's only idea was to promote a simple system, and not in any way intended to suggest that people could and should not use grow nutrients, including maxigrow.

There is no better or more simple way of starting seeds in coco than by using 1.0ec of balanced veg nutrient and if there is, and if you would share your results with us, I'd be eager to see it.

This is what 1.0ec of basic veg feed produces in 3 weeks from the first picture.

Tread whatever path you want, but make sure that whoever is telling you to tread there is willing to show you the way.

All those pictures prove is that you can get the same growth with basic veg feed 1.0ec as guys using 7g/gal MB and 6/9 micro-bloom right from the start in early stages of growth. So what? That doesn't mean anything as far as I can tell. I don't dispute the feed methods you use work. You go too far with it as it's a mission for you to go into threads like the K.I.S.S. and 6/9 and imply everyone is doing it wrong and you know the true way. Start your own thread and see if you can get it to a hundred pages, I doubt it.:tiphat:

Coconutz

Veteran
The reason I recommend 6/9 or cns to people having trouble is because it eliminates a lot of variables and helps to narrow things down to see if there are other problems.
6/9 isnt the best and not even the cheapest... Once someone is on a basic balanced nute and isnt using 9-10 random bottles things become a lot easier to see the problems.
It will work in other ratios though...
Its almost impossible to help someone whos using an entire AN line or something. You can almost never get them to actually drop all the fucking additives lol

papaduc

Veteran
All those pictures prove is that you can get the same growth with basic veg feed 1.0ec as guys using 7g/gal MB

Yes. That's what they prove.
That you can get the same results using 1.0ec of veg feed as you can using 1.8 of bloom.
I thought I already made that clear.

Did you intend to make that point or are you losing track of logic in your attempt to have a personal dig at me?

That doesn't mean anything as far as I can tell.

It does mean something.

But maybe not as far as you can tell.

you to go into threads like the K.I.S.S. and 6/9 and imply everyone is doing it wrong and you know the true way.

Is that what I'm doing is it. Because I thought the idea of the keep it simple thread was to discuss ways to achieve results using the most basic and efficient ways possible.

Start your own thread and see if you can get it to a hundred pages, I doubt it.:tiphat:

And your point? Or is this a game of let's see who can make the most childish statement, because if it is, you win. :tiphat:

Look, what I said in the kiss thread still stands. What has changed is my stance on the thread itself.
I wrongly listened to people who told me that you could only use maxibloom and nothing else; that this was the KISS system. I have found out since that it is not.

The irony of this is that now that I know what IoniBotani was saying when he started it, and now that I have seen what a different thread it has become from what it was when it started, it is people like you who need to go back and have a look at the beginning of the thread and respect it's message, which was not that talk of maxigrow or other means of keeping it simple were prohibited, but that they were welcomed.

Last edited:

GonjaLove

The reason I recommend 6/9 or cns to people having trouble is because it eliminates a lot of variables and helps to narrow things down to see if there are other problems.
6/9 isnt the best and not even the cheapest... Once someone is on a basic balanced nute and isnt using 9-10 random bottles things become a lot easier to see the problems.
It will work in other ratios though...
Its almost impossible to help someone whos using an entire AN line or something. You can almost never get them to actually drop all the fucking additives lol

My brother might not be happy by I dropped fuckin everything he had going and actually trashed most of those that are in question...they were too far gone there was 0 growth...a couple seem to be coming along we'll see. Started 2 new seedlings they're working on second leaves now and still in rockwool cubes. Going to beer cups tomorrow with 1.0 ec 0-9-6 for the first 2 feeds.

papaduc

Veteran
Good luck with whatever you do. Either way, just feed the base as soon as they pop leaves and you should be fine. Underfeeding in coco is a common mistake. People (myself included) don't quickly adjust to the idea of feeding tiny babies straight away. It takes a while for it to become natural.

As soon as you get over the fear of burning them and understand that you're just putting in in chemical form what would already be there in compost, you never look back.

GonjaLove

Just for the record...the new seedlings have been in beer cups for about 24hrs and are 1.0 ec 0-9-6 and theyre the greenest healthiest biggest seedlings I've ever grown. Amazing lol

GonjaLove

It's before I was giving proper feed, the damage. Then a week or so after giving proper feed, the recovery.. Trying to show that it's an easy fix and they bounce right back....

Im having a hard time believing that those before and after pics are only a week or 2 apart. Maybe a month apart. Ive been feeding properly and mine are nowhere near that and its been like 3 weeks

papaduc

Veteran
Just for the record...the new seedlings have been in beer cups for about 24hrs and are 1.0 ec 0-9-6 and theyre the greenest healthiest biggest seedlings I've ever grown. Amazing lol

Rock on brother. Just keep on keeping it simple and you'll be good.

Btw 1.0ec doesn't change. That should keep them happy for the rest of their vegetating life. But if the bottom leaves ever go a bit pale, you can up it by 0.2ec

* oh and btw, believe what elements told you. I was there with him at the time. You'll be surprised how quickly they come on when you get everything right. Keep those fluorescent lights close (within 2 inches) and aim your fan upwards so it blows directly at the bulbs and not the plants.

Last edited:

GonjaLove

Rock on brother. Just keep on keeping it simple and you'll be good.

Btw 1.0ec doesn't change. That should keep them happy for the rest of their vegetating life. But if the bottom leaves ever go a bit pale, you can up it by 0.2ec

* oh and btw, believe what elements told you. I was there with him at the time. You'll be surprised how quickly they come on when you get everything right. Keep those fluorescent lights close (within 2 inches) and aim your fan upwards so it blows directly at the bulbs and not the plants.

Papa what size pots do you start seeds in? The little guy in beer cups are really healthy and growin fast but I've only watered them the first time so far and coco is still moist. Its been 4 or 5 days...this is where he got in a little trouble last time. Should I wait for it to dry more even if it takes say 7-8 days? Im not teying to ask stupid questions...rather safe than sorry this time.

papaduc

Veteran
No such thing as a stupid question as they say.

I start in seed cups.

If it seems wet/moist, it should be fine. It won't dry quicker until it gets some roots out.

When you say beer cups, do you have drainage holes?

GonjaLove

No such thing as a stupid question as they say.

I start in seed cups.

If it seems wet/moist, it should be fine. It won't dry quicker until it gets some roots out.

When you say beer cups, do you have drainage holes?

They are 16oz solo cups...I cut drain holes out myself...layer of hydroton on the bottom of cups