What's new

Hawaiian Sativas

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Might have to make a few more posts before you can initiate conversations
Tried, and failed to send you a "pm". Try commenting on member's posts to up your count.

Rgd

Veteran
Outstanding GRoot, love the super thin leaves on that girl. Who's Fed HS stock is that from if I may ask?

Saludos

RC_Colas
the HS seeds you sent me made very potent smelly edgey weed....

I pollinated some Mexes and led05’s Durlumbo with some of the HS non fem pollen

any thing it touches ..will make a special cross
Kona Gold
looks good chewy..Greengrocer gave me Kona gold seeds years ago

..I repro'd them..i

the originals were fairly sativa looking and tall..with big long leaves

a guy i sent some of the seeds to grew one and it was chunky and shorter like your photo..

its darn good weed

good job

Last edited:
From what I know of Molokai, at least when I was next door on Maui, is that it is tight knit, and almost all Locals. My guess is that you may be native Hawaiian too, or at least part (what all we Kamaaina's affectionately refer to as "poi dog". Any chance of acquiring an old mostly sativa line would be from Molokai. Anywhere else, the helicopters over the years, as I am sure you are very aware, have decimated many a crop, on Maui, Kauai, Hawaii, and elsewhere, and many a seed stash that was going to come with it. Everything there to this day is still very much catch - catch can, because of the inability to be sure that you are going to be able to pull down your harvest. Very difficult to convince folks, or perhaps understand, unless you lived there, that "true" pure Hawaiian Sativa, is unfortunately really a myth.

Prior to early 1960's, there was virtually no pakalolo (cannabis) on the Islands. At all. The influx really started with the advent of the Vietnam war, with troops that had been stationed on Oahu, that came back, deciding to settle down there. They were allowed to bring back two duffel bags, that went onto the airplane virtually unchecked. Also, the folks in California that were the early "hippy" movement started moving there too. There was no active helicopter flying then. They did not start flying until 1979, and expanded greatly into the 1980's. Due to crop losses, many folks actively traded seeds with their buddies. This created the jumble of genetics that exists there now, with no one truly knowing what they have, unless they ordered from a seed bank, and had it shipped in, to plant and germinate there.

Native Hawaiian sativa is therefore an oxymoron. It might be called "Kona Gold" because it is grown on the leeward (Kona) side of the Big Island (Hawaii), but that is simply a marketing tool. I have been a resident of, and on the Islands, since 1975, so I have real knowledge and factual history. I have no skin in the game, and am not promoting or selling anything. Just trying to inform what I know to be true. Hopefully this benefits those in their sativa hunt.
I 2nd that. I am from puna/big island and what people do was old school. Grow and make seed every now and then. It was hard to get seeds from certain few people. I am family to some of the Molokai natives and I cant acces all that they have

What I do know about the old timers of hawaii. (I have a lot of family we are Hawaiian) held strains close to them. My grandma has/had she dieda Hawaiian sativa that our family grew back in the sugar cane says that was fire and that our relatives grew the same . But each relative had plants they like and made crosses grew those, traded some gre those bred some. from what I remember growing up is that everyone had sativa and they were all Hawaiian. Our dirt maybe brought out some special qualities and taste?. K know there are Hawaiian strains but not landrace. And I want to say majority is of south east Asia and Mexico. As immigrants came to hawaii to work so did the strains. I still have some sativa seeds from my grandmother that I still grow every now and then. I would give to whoever wants any.

I’m certain there’s more than one Hawaiian sativa and that there is no known lineage. Unless some old head wrote down I got these seeds from Samar from the Philippines when he came in 1920 and I got these from Pedro in Mexico when he came in 1922 I grew both in kalapana I liked plant 2 from Samar I liked plant 9 from Pedro so I crossed. Grown in hawaii 30 years some herms here and there and boom Hawaiian sativa?. The sativa I grow from my grandmother is old school but also turns out different when grown in the red dirt of hawaii. The dirt is Better

12DFD05D-CC3E-482E-BD80-97A74ADB261E.jpeg

Sorry this is a bad picture. She started stretching into long season

Lolo94

I’m certain there’s more than one Hawaiian sativa and that there is no known lineage. Unless some old head wrote down I got these seeds from Samar from the Philippines when he came in 1920 and I got these from Pedro in Mexico when he came in 1922 I grew both in kalapana I liked plant 2 from Samar I liked plant 9 from Pedro so I crossed. Grown in hawaii 30 years some herms here and there and boom Hawaiian sativa?. The sativa I grow from my grandmother is old school but also turns out different when grown in the red dirt of hawaii. The dirt is Better
Red dirt in Hawaii is from the soil leaching due to heavy rain and humidity. The iron oxide makes it appear red. The people I knew that grew in the cane fields along the Hamakua Coast would amend the soil and typically throw 8-8-8 (kind of organic)slow realease fertilizer or osmocote. I'm not convinced that the cane dirt itself was better. The best soil (in my opinion) was in the area around Volcano village and the adjacent upper Puna sudivisions, where there was more of a steady rain vs. downpours. There was less leaching of the minerals and a dark gritty soil due to a mixture of broken down lava and decaying organic matter. A good planting mix for the area was 1 part lime, 1 part greensand, 1 part rock phosphate and 2 parts chicken manure. 8-8-8 slow release fertilizer would be used to sustain the plants.

Most people I knew that grew in lower Puna grew in grow bags with amended pro mix. The only time I ever grew in lower Puna was in the Kalapana area, under a small Mango tree with grow bags and camouflaged netting. The area under the tree was covered with small mango keikis and leaf litter. We climbed up the tree and carefully trimmed small branches so the light would filter through. Green harvest was flying heavy in the early 90's, but we still managed to harvest all of my friends 90 day wonders and never got ripped off. Surprisingly the plants did really well.

You described the strain scene perfectly. In the old days (with some exceptions) most people didn't know or care what the strain's lineage was, as long as it was good. The strain name was usually the owner's name. Many of my local friends (at the time) that grew for personal use held on to the older more sativa strains. There was a certain pride in it. I think it was mostly due to preferring a certain type of high that couldn't be replicated in 90 day wonders.

squatty

Thank you for that information Lolo94. After 24 very long years on the mainland I am less than a year out from moving back to Volcano. Our property does not have deep soil like the Volcano Village side of the highway but I will save all I can as I clear the driveway and house pad.

As I did research for a permaculture class recently I found two soil sample sites within two miles of our property. One site was off of Wright road and had six feet of soil. The other was within Fern Forest and had six to twelve inches of soil.

Lolo94

Thank you for that information Lolo94. After 24 very long years on the mainland I am less than a year out from moving back to Volcano. Our property does not have deep soil like the Volcano Village side of the highway but I will save all I can as I clear the driveway and house pad.

As I did research for a permaculture class recently I found two soil sample sites within two miles of our property. One site was off of Wright road and had six feet of soil. The other was within Fern Forest and had six to twelve inches of soil.
The forest areas bordering Royal Hawaiian Estates up had pockets of deeper soil. Not sure about Fern Forest. I know the subdivision itself had mostly shallow soil. Is there still only one paved road there? Haven't been there in years.
You used to be able to test the soil for cheap at the UH school of Ag. Not sure if you still can, but helpful if possible

man I miss those days. Bag appeal wasn’t always the seller. I had a friend with a strain called sweet Jane. Kinda looks like a leafy widow. not nice to the eye but the flavor and high was top notch. i used to look forward to everyone’s harvest in school (pahoa school late 90s) and we would all share bud and seeds. I had a classmate that used to snowboard up in tahoe and bring strains down and that’s the first time I saw different types of kush lol man I miss those days

DozerFarms

Heime cheeba had the maui wowie it just was super limited release and the ones who got them are holding them and or not releasing them in pure form. I found in costal seeds maui wowie x 72 thai i found a maui dom pheno we shall see just wish people would stop acting like the strain gods n just hoard it until they keel over and we loose these genetics time n time again old heads yall need to come off the stash man! Wake up n smell the coffee its not about the money its about preserving the the germ plasm and we loose more
And more every day and its a shame! Cause of greedy tendencies.

RC_Colas

Veteran
I’m not sure how legit swami seeds are but he claims his cherry bomb is the legit Maui wowie. There’s also green emt. I have a Maui x kauai strain from big island genetics. I doubt it’s legit but it’s pretty good if you want some
Yes they are legit and directly endorsed by Mr.Greengenes who supplied them with his Cherry Bomb ( Maui Wowie) beans to repro and distribute.

Lolo94

Heime cheeba had the maui wowie it just was super limited release and the ones who got them are holding them and or not releasing them in pure form. I found in costal seeds maui wowie x 72 thai i found a maui dom pheno we shall see just wish people would stop acting like the strain gods n just hoard it until they keel over and we loose these genetics time n time again old heads yall need to come off the stash man! Wake up n smell the coffee its not about the money its about preserving the the germ plasm and we loose more
And more every day and its a shame! Cause of greedy tendencies.
With many(not all) old heads in Hawaii, I don't think it's about hoarding or the money, it's more about being in their group. Alot of these old timers have/had real jobs and are often very successful not just from growing. From my experience, the real conoseures arent the commercial growers (may have been at one time) but the small timers who have either held on to or created something they and their family/friends like. I'd venture to say many would share (that was my experience at least) with friends. Connections take work and time especially if you don't have family in Hawaii.

Really miss the get togethers at 4 Miles in Hilo sampling each other's harvest. Most of us, you would never guess were smokers, but everyone sure took pride in what they shared

Lolo94

Equilibrium genetics has 1979 Cherry bomb x Tom Hill Haze, and 1979 Cherry Bomb x Panama Red. Got their Panama Red. It's high CBD, but the high is up and relaxing. Not sleepy. Pretty plant, but not my cup of tea

Ottafish

Hey man, maybe you can help me out. I used to get bud from Hawaii about 25 years ago. I remember it was the tastiest mango flavored cannabis I’ve ever had. It was so unique. The smell just reeked of tropical mangos. My buddy had to cut me off a square with a knife it was so sticky. Any ideas on what it could have been or where to find something similar. It had a strong taste of fruity mango…. Damn it was good!

With many(not all) old heads in Hawaii, I don't think it's about hoarding or the money, it's more about being in their group. Alot of these old timers have/had real jobs and are often very successful not just from growing. From my experience, the real conoseures arent the commercial growers (may have been at one time) but the small timers who have either held on to or created something they and their family/friends like. I'd venture to say many would share (that was my experience at least) with friends. Connections take work and time especially if you don't have family in Hawaii.

Really miss the get togethers at 4 Miles in Hilo sampling each other's harvest. Most of us, you would never guess were smokers, but everyone sure took pride in what they shared
I used to meet up at four miles and smoke. and yes very true. A lot of the strains were named from a nickname also. A lot of the old timers /friends that I know are exactly like how you explained. Family men/women. go To work , come home do the family thing. Strains get passed. A lot of times no one knows the genetics but just many years of pollinating the best plants bottoms with the best male than just inbred Once found the right one. In Hilo my good friend had the johnny d but did not want to give the strain out. I was lucky to get a cross of it. The dried bud reminds me of the shrimp saimin packet for some reason. Here’s a pic of her

Attachments

• 98CDB7F0-0EDD-4A38-B827-237827CAC31B.jpeg
    98CDB7F0-0EDD-4A38-B827-237827CAC31B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Latest posts