What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Sativas

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
probably 7something
I wonder where all those super strong trippy hawaiians went? federation hawaiian is also maximally 7 out of 10, not more. I understand that thanks to DEA it was hard to preserve it at islands... but that outside of islands it didnt happen, it surprises me, maybe it lost its power, like it was reproduced from limited number of plants

some say that people, in the past, didnt have such tolerance like we have today... but I still believe it was strong.

only strong hawaians I grew were hawaiian webbed indica and hawaiian pakithai, but those are far from sativa dom hybrid...

my friend from Big Island told me that he also cant get that stuff he was used to get at 90s from locals, unique hashplants x soaring sativas stuff...

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Hawai'i islands have an unique environment with volcanic soil.Its hard to copy that indoors.Whats was grown in Hawaii came from elsewhere, Mexico, South-East Asia, Jamaica etc.
Also think due the drug policies poor breeding practices ended up with an inferior quality.

Rgd

Veteran
federation hawaiian is also maximally 7 out of 10, not more.
I feel uncomfortable giving numbers to potency especially when there

are so many parameters to consider...

I would give it higher marks due to edgyness..

again:i am not good at number evaluations...[and you may have better weed than me]

Last edited:

Rgd

Veteran
this is bud pic of 26 years old Kona Gold cut
photos not opening for me

it is some fake man :D diesel genetics has around 20% thc and durban around 15%..

hahahaha

maybe they count it, diesel is 20%, durban 12%, so durban diesel has to be 32% hahahahahhaha

nah bro…it was like smoking concentrated hash
it was freaking uber high thc
not gonna argue though
i sensed a fuely gassy diesel hybrid
most people would love it
like chunk of sticky hash

the point was it didn’t matter..it didn’t get me the to high I like..it didn’t even kick my ass

the other point was i rate hawaian sativa higher

but again i will bow out of numbers i am not good enough for that kind unless its something that makes me swallow my tongue
in which case it gets an 11lol

Last edited:

sublingual

I wonder where all those super strong trippy hawaiians went? federation hawaiian is also maximally 7 out of 10, not more. I understand that thanks to DEA it was hard to preserve it at islands... but that outside of islands it didnt happen, it surprises me, maybe it lost its power, like it was reproduced from limited number of plants

some say that people, in the past, didnt have such tolerance like we have today... but I still believe it was strong.

only strong hawaians I grew were hawaiian webbed indica and hawaiian pakithai, but those are far from sativa dom hybrid...

my friend from Big Island told me that he also cant get that stuff he was used to get at 90s from locals, unique hashplants x soaring sativas stuff...
This is only an opinion (I lived on Oahu for 35 years). When the dispensary awards were given (the ability to sell medical), it was given to local folks who could prove suitability. These locals, better than anyone (in my opinion) could have hunted down superior weed that other locals kept (if they did keep it-a big "if"). But when the medical dispensaries opened, What did they have: indicas! These guys sourced the weed they sell not from what people kept on the islands but mainland stuff.
So if there is any "lost" genetics it's being held tightly.
In reality, even before the state passed medical status, folks were wanting "hash buds." Sativas, like anywhere else it seems, is a niche market.

Dude73

this is bud pic of 26 years old Kona Gold cut

full

and this is pic of those old canes, painting of bud on cane, tha bud structure, reminds me my Kona

full

thanks to @Hrpuffnkush for canes pic, he has also some killer hawaiians.
I don’t know him but I did give his friend Kalani a few strains.

bigherb

Veteran
This is only an opinion (I lived on Oahu for 35 years). When the dispensary awards were given (the ability to sell medical), it was given to local folks who could prove suitability. These locals, better than anyone (in my opinion) could have hunted down superior weed that other locals kept (if they did keep it-a big "if"). But when the medical dispensaries opened, What did they have: indicas! These guys sourced the weed they sell not from what people kept on the islands but mainland stuff.
In reality, even before the state passed medical status, folks were wanting "hash buds." Sativas, like anywhere else it seems, is a niche market.
Sad but this sounds like a similar situation with Thailand, very disappointing to hear

1luvbigherb

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
yes, it is the same here. I think @oldhaole described it well at the beginning of this thread...

I hear there are some hawaiian old timers with old school thais etc. keeping it tightly.

this is trainwreck x thai. thai coming from Hawaii in 90s.

full

I crossed it with thaihaze.. so I cant complain at all :D

full

in the end, instead of looking for killer hawaiian sativa endlessly, I had to do that myself, like most thing in a life... hahaha.

sublingual

yes, it is the same here. I think @oldhaole described it well at the beginning of this thread...

I hear there are some hawaiian old timers with old school thais etc. keeping it tightly.

this is trainwreck x thai. thai coming from Hawaii in 90s.

full

I crossed it with thaihaze.. so I cant complain at all :D

full

in the end, instead of looking for killer hawaiian sativa endlessly, I had to do that myself, like most thing in a life... hahaha.
Super nice plants, those look very enjoyable.
The growers I knew had some strange ideas about how to go about growing and producing bud. It's hard to blame them as they had other primary interests.
There are a lot of flower growers in Hawaii (think leis). Some of these did a little Cannabis on the side and knew what they were doing and produced some devastatingly good herb. In the late eighties the authorities started cracking down, where before, no one cared if someone had a plant in their backyard.
By the early nineties Operation Green Merchant affected folks trying to produce bud on the islands. It was really dry. High Times magazine were no longer carried at book sellers for a number of years too. Later only Tower Records carried it and people would snap it up as soon as it hit the shelves.
This is the time where Batu came into Hawaii, or maybe better exploded onto the scene. The authorities decimated Cannabis which is easier to eradicate than Crystal Meth which is much easier to smuggle. Social scientists finally recognized the devastation those policies made. Almost like alcohol prohibition spawning organized crime.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Yes they are legit and directly endorsed by Mr.Greengenes who supplied them with his Cherry Bomb ( Maui Wowie) beans to repro and distribute.
Maui wowie is cherry bomb?

Because of green harvest they moved away from sativas to indicas 90 day wonders ect , much more easy to hide ... there are some hawaiian sativas still around ,

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Because of green harvest they moved away from sativas to indicas 90 day wonders ect , much more easy to hide ... there are some hawaiian sativas still around ,
RESPECT! I know you use big island hawaiian haze. can you tell us more about that line? flavors and effect? I am very curious. thank you very much.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
The growers I knew had some strange ideas about how to go about growing and producing bud. It's hard to blame them as they had other primary interests.
There are a lot of flower growers in Hawaii (think leis). Some of these did a little Cannabis on the side and knew what they were doing and produced some devastatingly good herb. In the late eighties the authorities started cracking down, where before, no one cared if someone had a plant in their backyard.
By the early nineties Operation Green Merchant affected folks trying to produce bud on the islands. It was really dry. High Times magazine were no longer carried at book sellers for a number of years too. Later only Tower Records carried it and people would snap it up as soon as it hit the shelves.
This is the time where Batu came into Hawaii, or maybe better exploded onto the scene. The authorities decimated Cannabis which is easier to eradicate than Crystal Meth which is much easier to smuggle. Social scientists finally recognized the devastation those policies made. Almost like alcohol prohibition spawning organized crime.

very unfortunate history..

yeah meth is the evil...

edit: I made new seeds with kona gold cut, I hit it with late males of incense sticks. I call it KONA UPRISE :D I need to test it.

full

Last edited:

Lolo94

I never heard of Green Merchant on the Big Island. We were more familiar with Green Harvest. Green Harvest caused growers to get very creative. The plants and the bags/pots they were grown in got smaller especially in lower Puna. Many growers adapted by finding out ahead of time when Green Harvest would fly and moving their plants under vegetation or under cover for a few days, until Green Harvest would move on to other parts of the island. Sometimes, though the helicopters would throw a curve ball and return back to an area unexpectedly. Green Harvest would typically chop the plants in areas closer to the "subdivisions" and the helicopters would spray herbicide(from a long hose) on the plants deeper in the forest. The trick in the forest (besides just being lucky) was to plant between but not directly under tall and thin Ohia trees. This made accurately spraying the plants much more difficult.
I'm sure alot of pakalolo money was funneled into legitimate Ag businesses, so I wouldn't doubt that the strains kept by the flower growers were some of the best.

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Maui wowie is cherry bomb?

Yeah, CB and MW are same genetics. Hawaiian Bx'ed to Afghan.
MW stayed on the islands, CB was from same genetics but selections and breeding done in continental US.
The best samples I found were around Seattle in the MMJ days. All elite clones disappeared once Rec industry started in 2015.

sublingual

I never heard of Green Merchant on the Big Island. We were more familiar with Green Harvest. Green Harvest caused growers to get very creative. The plants and the bags/pots they were grown in got smaller especially in lower Puna. Many growers adapted by finding out ahead of time when Green Harvest would fly and moving their plants under vegetation or under cover for a few days, until Green Harvest would move on to other parts of the island. Sometimes, though the helicopters would throw a curve ball and return back to an area unexpectedly. Green Harvest would typically chop the plants in areas closer to the "subdivisions" and the helicopters would spray herbicide(from a long hose) on the plants deeper in the forest. The trick in the forest (besides just being lucky) was to plant between but not directly under tall and thin Ohia trees. This made accurately spraying the plants much more difficult.
I'm sure alot of pakalolo money was funneled into legitimate Ag businesses, so I wouldn't doubt that the strains kept by the flower growers were some of the best.
When I ordered a grow light back in the early nineties, the UPS guy did everything he could to get into my apt to deliver it. I did my business with him out in the hall. What saved me was not to order seeds from SSSC or the Seed Bank. It was bag seeds for me or trading bud for seeds from those who I thought had good stuff. I didn't know about Green Merchant at the time but later found out about it and realized my caution was warranted.
Yeah, it wasn't all bad by any means about knowing where they were planning their raids. On Oahu, at least for a while, they published in the Advertiser where they were going to eradicate. Presumably, to warn hikers away from their operations. Initially at least, they said that they were not looking to bust anyone but just eradicate. This was the standard line at the time and I heard it repeated several times, even on the local news broadcasts.
For myself, (during the dry period of late eighties and early nineties) I had been reading High Times since the early eighties and knew about the seed banks and indoor growing. I ordered a Hydrofarm light and the UPS guy used every line in the book to deliver it inside my apartment. I insisted to sign the paperwork out in the common area. I'm sure I was not just paranoid. I was very interested in the Hazes that Nevil was offering from his Seed Bank (and also SSSC). I never took that plunge however (thankfully), and just relied on bag seeds.