What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Sativas

chewiesmoke

Here is some Kona Gold we grew out recently. Came from a private breeder on the Big Island.

Love to know what you think... CS

DSCF3104_IG.jpg
DSCF3126_IG.jpg

DSCF3117_IG.jpg

DSCF3098_IG.jpg
DSCF3141_IG.jpg

elanius

Veteran
Wow, I am happy to see your great photos, so here are some of my.
Federation Hawaiian sativa
View attachment 18773037

View attachment 18773034
Hawaiian sativa x Sour Diesel bx2

View attachment 18773040

View attachment 18773038

Hawaiian diesel (Hawaiian sativa x Sour Diesel bx2) x Purple satellite

View attachment 18773041

View attachment 18773042

Mr. Vysocinagrower shared some of these with me and damn, that Hawaiian Sativa x SDbx2 is absolute blast. Great euphoric uplifting giggly high with low tolerance build up, smells surprisingly similar to Hawaiian Sativa mother, with bit of a diesl twist. Great tasty weed. Thanks!

Vysocinagrower

Veteran
Mr. Vysocinagrower shared some of these with me and damn, that Hawaiian Sativa x SDbx2 is absolute blast. Great euphoric uplifting giggly high with low tolerance build up, smells surprisingly similar to Hawaiian Sativa mother, with bit of a diesl twist. Great tasty weed. Thanks!
Special thanks to you my friend. Both strains were from you. Thanks for sharing these great varieties.

wildcannabis

lived on hawaii for many years. kauai & maui. an uncle from molokai gave a friend of mine some seed he had been growing there for decades, & then it was given to me. he called it 'durban poison.' so for many years that's what i called it. now i'm catching wind of a 'molokai frost' lineage that might be more inline with this heirloom. any old school bruddahs know anything about da kine from molokai? i brought the seed with me to new england & its the backbone of all my outdoor cannabis - grows like a champ. put it in the ground, & it knows what to do. has that hawaii magic in it. aloha & peace to you all.

Last edited:

cola

Some questions were asked from a poster looking for a powerful, trippy psychidelic sativa strain. In my infinite wisdom...that's sarcasam... I mentioned that Hawaiian sativas should not be overlooked.

Unfortunatly this exchange took place in a breeders thread. The last thing I want is to threadjack anyone's thread. So I volentered to start this thread, and answer questions about Hawaiian Sativas.

First question...
I had read a while back, I believe in Di Wee Dalats thread, that some sativa growers have noticed flushes of potency happening in between the flushes of new flowers that sat's often produce. The theory is that the new flowers dilute the density of older more mature/potent flowers. Have you noticed any such phenomenon?

That's a loaded question. Those new flowers indicate that the product is not yet fully mature. I have noticed potency fluxuations as a sativa matures. I have noticed that toward the end of the run, my sativas bulk up, swell, pack on mass...whatever you want to call it. Sativas under a loop will look mature. But they can...and should... go another couple of weeks.

They take their own sweet time to mature, and the potency changes as the THC, CBC's et al build up. The new flowers should be looked for....expected....it's all part of the maturation process. Do the new flowers dilute the potency? I don't think so. It's not ready to harvest yet.

Next question...
Granted, if I had the opportunity to grow out some Hawaiian sativas I surely would, but those genetics aren't available to me so I have to pass them up. Also, most of the time any strains with Hawaiian genetics are hybrids that include indica genetics and I'd rather not go there.

I know it's totally unrelated, but I've heard that there is such a thing had a Hawaiian indica. Know anything about that?

Hwaiian Indica? No such animal. Hawaiian Sativa...same trip.
Got you confused yet?

With a few exceptions, every plant here has been introduced here. Be it thru the first Hawaiian migrations, to a weed seed in your pocket... everything has been brought here by man or nature. We are the most remote land mass out there. A blank slate.

Mainland Indicas will grow here, but it takes a couple of generations to adjust to our photoperiod. The mainland indicas bud early, or late...then when you have it finally dialed in ...Mold.
We are humid. Here it averages @85%.

Indica will grow in the dry lowlands. But they yield a fifth of a sativa girl. Sativas are made for Hawaii. Perfectly suited...long growing season, can handle both rain and humidity, giant yield, and when done right, the high....Second to none.

We are not strain obscessed here. Let me explain.

I grow and breed my own crosses. So do about a thousand others. Everything both they and I produce can be called Maui Wowie....or Maui whatever. Sativa, Indica, Hybreds....it's all called by the same name.

Maui is a place. Kona is a place. Hawaii is a place. Hundreds of different strains all called the same damn thing. It's called marketing. What would you rather grow?....Bloodweed....or Maui Wowie?

I'm not saying the breeders are selling you random crosses and calling it Hawaiian. They take a tiny little piece of the pie and put it out there. But the only way to grow Hawaiian is to grow it here. The sun, soil, and climate can't be duplicated.

I hope I've answered your questions. And sorry about all my spelling mistakes.

Pic 1 is an Indica...fresh off the boat. It was sent to me from CA. as a Thai/skunk cross. Is it? Hell if I know.

Pic 2 is a Sativa. Both pics were taken on the same day last year. They are next to each other.
lived on hawaii for many years. kauai & maui. an uncle from molokai gave a friend of mine some seed he had been growing there for decades, & then it was given to me. he called it 'durban poison.' so for many years that's what i called it. now i'm catching wind of a 'molokai frost' lineage that might be more inline with this heirloom. any old school bruddahs know anything about da kine from molokai? i brought the seed with me to new england & its the backbone of all my outdoor cannabis - grows like a champ. put it in the ground, & it knows what to do. has that hawaii magic in it. aloha & peace to you all.

From what I know of Molokai, at least when I was next door on Maui, is that it is tight knit, and almost all Locals. My guess is that you may be native Hawaiian too, or at least part (what all we Kamaaina's affectionately refer to as "poi dog". Any chance of acquiring an old mostly sativa line would be from Molokai. Anywhere else, the helicopters over the years, as I am sure you are very aware, have decimated many a crop, on Maui, Kauai, Hawaii, and elsewhere, and many a seed stash that was going to come with it. Everything there to this day is still very much catch - catch can, because of the inability to be sure that you are going to be able to pull down your harvest. Very difficult to convince folks, or perhaps understand, unless you lived there, that "true" pure Hawaiian Sativa, is unfortunately really a myth.

Prior to early 1960's, there was virtually no pakalolo (cannabis) on the Islands. At all. The influx really started with the advent of the Vietnam war, with troops that had been stationed on Oahu, that came back, deciding to settle down there. They were allowed to bring back two duffel bags, that went onto the airplane virtually unchecked. Also, the folks in California that were the early "hippy" movement started moving there too. There was no active helicopter flying then. They did not start flying until 1979, and expanded greatly into the 1980's. Due to crop losses, many folks actively traded seeds with their buddies. This created the jumble of genetics that exists there now, with no one truly knowing what they have, unless they ordered from a seed bank, and had it shipped in, to plant and germinate there.

Native Hawaiian sativa is therefore an oxymoron. It might be called "Kona Gold" because it is grown on the leeward (Kona) side of the Big Island (Hawaii), but that is simply a marketing tool. I have been a resident of, and on the Islands, since 1975, so I have real knowledge and factual history. I have no skin in the game, and am not promoting or selling anything. Just trying to inform what I know to be true. Hopefully this benefits those in their sativa hunt.

Last edited:

Miasa Mura

That Kona Gold x Original Haze looks amazing!

I’m doing a repro of Molokai Frost from Good Gear on the Big Island. One plant stood out so far (not sure what the sex on them are yet). It had crinkled malformed fat fan leaves with blotches of dark purple for the first month and now they’re all thin and narrow with 11 leaf points. Stem rub is a sharp lime with a hint of cream on the back. I lost 5 seeds out of the ten due to poor medium choice for how rainy it is here. 5 survivors so hopefully get a decent amount of seeds from this backcrossing.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Love the structure and stem color.. looks more ohaze leaning than some ive seen from yall or maybe its just early... but already caked in resin.
yes, these hawaiian cultivars I grew are very nice and like it was said, they have that special vibe to it... but by no mean they are pure sativas, or sativa enough for me... also I am sure they would grow better on islands than here.. thats why I crossed it with thai pheno of original haze... haze male gives more power, makes it more sativa, and especially makes kona more resistant...

even that molokai frost is not pure sativa by no mean, it is mixed with indica... and kona gold, federation hawaiian sativa or molokai frost are very similar to mexican sativas in terp profile... so in this it is not some novelty... hawaiian pakithai is different, no mexican and lotsa thai in it...

Latest posts

Latest posts