What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Sativas

Lolo94

Something that should be considered is that alot of the exports leaving Hawaii after the late 70's (at least from Puna on the Big Island ) were actually hybrids and not pure sativas. The climate in Hawaii is more favorable to sativas and selects for sativa expressions in hybrids. If the same seeds are taken to a more temperate climate or indoors, then the possibility exists that indica characteristics will be selected for.. This could help explain why many Hawaiian strains don't do as well on the mainland.

I just started harvesting a Hawaiian sativa that I grew indoors for the first time. I've had this strain for many years. Prior to this grow, I had only grown and bred it outdoors in Hawaii. Based on initial sampling, the quality is similar, but the potency (which I expected) is a little lower. By quality, I mean the high energy up high that puts you in a state of flow when working out or doing complex activities. The sample hasn't been well cured and only quick dried for a week. After a several month cure, the true potential can be better evaluated. One nice thing is that the indoor version does not keep you as wired if smoked in the late afternnon and ruin sleep. This was one of the things I disliked about the outdoor grown varitety.

There are informal groups of old timers still growing and sharing old hawaiian strains, but the circles are small and certainly not a coop. Most people that I know who prefer the sativa high are older and some were growers during the 70's Hawaiian sativa heydays. They are typically long removed from any commercial growing and are content with sharing amongst their circle.

Lolo94

Swazi (Puna IBL) again:

Attachments

• Swazi%20(Puna_IBL).jpg
    Swazi%20(Puna_IBL).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 45

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
The law has changed now in Hawaii and when has the seed industry ever been about preservation or looking out for the people they often steel seed from ?.

Look at Arjan and Franco how many things did they collect and how many of the things they collected ever make it to peoples grow rooms that would be Zero.

I know for a fact that Maui still has sativas i would like to see the Hawaiians set up a co op type deal were they grew the seed sold the seed and all the profit went back to them.

If you grow to sell then no sativas are not as practical as a modern hybrid but few hybrids can match the quality of the old Hawaiian sativas.

So if your growing for personal smoke and your legal what would you grow a sativa that can grow 7m yields huge with an unequal high to any commercial offering or a commercial line that gives you a okay smoke.

Franco is dead ...

Green house , 1 seed company with a video camera in a world of
10s of thousands of seed companies without video cameras .

Don`t let that convince you every one who sells seeds is the same .

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Franco is dead ...

Green house , 1 seed company with a video camera in a world of
10s of thousands of seed companies without video cameras .

Don`t let that convince you every one who sells seeds is the same .

Apart from the real seed co and the other lot that i think are called the Land Race Team the rest sell hybrids no one sells land race /heirloom genetics.

Greenhouse strain hunters are responsible for spreading hermaphrodite genetics to areas were the last remaining land races / heirloom variety's are.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Something that should be considered is that alot of the exports leaving Hawaii after the late 70's (at least from Puna on the Big Island ) were actually hybrids and not pure sativas. The climate in Hawaii is more favorable to sativas and selects for sativa expressions in hybrids. If the same seeds are taken to a more temperate climate or indoors, then the possibility exists that indica characteristics will be selected for.. This could help explain why many Hawaiian strains don't do as well on the mainland.

I just started harvesting a Hawaiian sativa that I grew indoors for the first time. I've had this strain for many years. Prior to this grow, I had only grown and bred it outdoors in Hawaii. Based on initial sampling, the quality is similar, but the potency (which I expected) is a little lower. By quality, I mean the high energy up high that puts you in a state of flow when working out or doing complex activities. The sample hasn't been well cured and only quick dried for a week. After a several month cure, the true potential can be better evaluated. One nice thing is that the indoor version does not keep you as wired if smoked in the late afternnon and ruin sleep. This was one of the things I disliked about the outdoor grown varitety.

There are informal groups of old timers still growing and sharing old hawaiian strains, but the circles are small and certainly not a coop. Most people that I know who prefer the sativa high are older and some were growers during the 70's Hawaiian sativa heydays. They are typically long removed from any commercial growing and are content with sharing amongst their circle.

some valuable information. thanks for sharing bro. love your swazi :respect:

Dirtboy808

Veteran
Molokai Frost is about as old of a line one can get with proof. I'm working on the Puna Black Cherry from 80's that has it's roots in Golden Voice. The reason Good Gear Seeds is offering the Molokai Frost seeds is we were tired of so many bull shit Hawaiian strains being sold.Is she the greatest ever ? No but it is the real deal.

The best weed I smoked on the Big Island was a Swazi x Affie. 1980 Hawaiian Beaches. Here is the Frost
picture.php

ctg

Veteran
Re:

Re:

Love the frost. I have clients from years ago still talking to me about the frost. I keep telling them it will be back in the rotation soon. Lol
Last I had was in Hawaii year and a half ago from the FlyinHaWyn... same as I remember kine for sure!

Red October

Has anyone ever tried out Honolulu Haze from Sagarmatha Seeds? They've been around for ages but I can't find any reports on it, which normally isn't a good sign.

Portubong

I dont know if anybody spoke about this topic but you have Hawaiian Spice by Chimera and look like a winner if still you can found them, Hawaiian or what was said Hawaiian always had a tropical aroma, very interesting, remember congo in that regard, tropical seeds has king congo Congo point noire x Ciskei, pretty interesting, I always dreamed a mix of Destroyer Thai pheno x Congo (Tropical or Ace) x Hawaiian, that would be something outstanding

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Its interesting that alot of people say Hawaiian strains have a "tropical" aroma but alot of the more popular Hawaii varietals are not fruity or "tropical" at all like skunkdog, widow, johnny D, etc.

AspenGas

Apart from the real seed co and the other lot that i think are called the Land Race Team the rest sell hybrids no one sells land race /heirloom genetics.

Greenhouse strain hunters are responsible for spreading hermaphrodite genetics to areas were the last remaining land races / heirloom variety's are.
Sounds like you know a lot about those guys and all the other seed companies on the planet.

Have you been with those greenhouse guys on their trips?

burningfire

Veteran
Sounds like you know a lot about those guys and all the other seed companies on the planet.

Have you been with those greenhouse guys on their trips?

What came from those expeditions? they gave the local farmer seeds, which is fine I guess.. it sucks for preservation but it's hard to fault people for wanting to grow "better" plants but have they offered anything to the public?

Clearly a lot of people in their african adventures weren't pleased with them. RIP Franco, he loved the plant but Arjan gets no love from me.

Portubong

Its interesting that alot of people say Hawaiian strains have a "tropical" aroma but alot of the more popular Hawaii varietals are not fruity or "tropical" at all like skunkdog, widow, johnny D, etc.

Yes, my experience was with a friend that he told me that was Hawaiian, about 12 years ago, was fruity and very good smell, like you fall in love, don´t know what strain and another time in Amsterdam, was not the same but very fruity too, here in Europe didn´t arrive many Hawaiian genetics or USA genetics, I hope Dubi read this and bring some real Hawaiian genetics with Ace, Thai x Congo or Thai x Hawaiian could be amazing¡¡¡ could you explain us the smell, effect and flavour?? I am interested in Hawaiian landrace

Portubong

Widow or anything like that, trust me I tried everything, was a fruity aroma very tropical as sativas, clean but more strong, I believe maybe they crossed with some commercial strain but was very pure, was more on the line of cream caramel, but much better as floral and fruity

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

yes, I confirm that is the way how we, from mainland, imagine hawaiian smoke, spicy tropical fruit :D pineapples, mangoes, guava and cherry with mexican spice :D it is stereotype, but when I walk to coffee shop and get hawaiian snow and it tastes like roasted onions, I am pretty disappointed, I tell you, as I want that tropical fruit taste. thats the "hawaiian" here :D ahaha and I am not fan of fruity varieties at all, but thats what I await and sometimes I have taste for it LOL

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

Parvati valley was already contaminated with hybrids what I heard from a guy that lived there for 20 years.He said only high in the mountains you can expect pure Indian varieties.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I did my 2nd year with BEL's Hawaiian
Swazi x Thai x Mexi x Affy

My favorite genotypes are the sativa ones. The Mexican expression is very delicate, like DJ Short Flo
Swazi shows up as a creeper - maybe 3ft tall but spreading out low against the ground.
Thai genotypes are huge.

But there's also what you can see is the parent of NL in there - thick stalk, denser, purple buds, wide leaves.

Smell is mostly delicate among all samples. Not muted (though one out of 8 was) but delicate - the opposite of the single strong terp of hydro

I also have a newer Hawaiian line from the early 90's that came from Colorado's HP13. And all those plants are fruity with incense.

Im gonna do more work with the BEL Hawaiian this year. Already go some seeds to pop.

I also popped a few seeds of Federation's Hawaiian x Mulanje Highland Malawi