What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Sativas

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Genetics was from abroad, but the intensity of the sun in combination with the volcanic soil where it is was grown in, should give an outstanding herb.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
lol , im sure hempy will argue with that maha ,
but i have found the same ,, sometimes the weed grown outside those areas is still ok , perhaps better than the average and better than dj found ,
but overall there will be no comparison to growing it in its homeland ,
this would be true of most stuff grown closer to the equator imho ...

theres a good reason why hawaiin , thai etc got a good name , genetics and the location it was grown ...

Honestly Donald do you dream about me wake come screaming my handle out in the middle of the night ? This is getting real creepy dude.

Hawaii grows great cannabis but so dose South American Asia Australia US Mexico and many other parts of the world.

Genetics are the most important factor in growing good cannabis.

Some of the best cannabis i ever grew was from seed i found from imported Maui sativa a friends friend was seeling in the mid 80s.

It was so strong that friends still bring it up in conversations 35 years later.

Hawaii is know for its good cannabis yes but also for the generosity of the people that live there.How many that were part of this community and others like CW OG so on shared local lines many.

Reactions: xet

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
gee settle down man ,
i only mentioned your name ,
no infatuation i can assure you ... lol

we have discussed this a few times , so thats why i mentioned you ,
you should really be flattered lol ..

and as ive said before i agree , genetics plays a big part ,
as does the environment which can coax the very best from a variety ,
Hawaii has a great climate and is renowned for pretty good weed as a result ,
particularly the sativas ...

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Hawaii has had the same problem that the rest of us have had to deal with that being choppers and as a result many of the old sativas were replaced with shorter faster flowering strains.

There is a 60 minuets episode of a Nam vet that grew on Maui that grew 6 to 7 meter sativas from the 80s.

I hope now with the new law reforms some there have gone back to growing the old strains like Blood that made Hawaiian cannabis infamous.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Most of it was genetics

I lived on Maui in 1977.

We smoked all kinds of great bud from multiple Islands. The Kauaii I smoked was tangy with orange hairs. The Maui was my favorite. Really strong. Puna Butter bud was great too. Kona Gold was beautiful and tasted great, it just wasnt very strong.
Yep, I moved to Maui to pursue premium weed, pretty girls, and to pick and eat magic mushrooms and surf

I found all three! :D

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Dr P you think the old Maui is still around i would love to see her resurface not the fake things some are calling the Maui that looks more indica than sativa.

TPFTFW

Veteran
Is anyone familiar with like...
02’ reeferman stock of royal Hawaiian?

I have some seeds I’ll be popping from 01-02’

also I have a couple hundred beans of an old Hawaiian line my friends dad has grown since the 80’s

it smells super tropical.. kind of like.. pina colada gum twang?

any idea on what that could be

oldhaole

Veteran
Stuff you already know....

Stuff you already know....

Dr P you think the old Maui is still around i would love to see her resurface not the fake things some are calling the Maui that looks more indica than sativa.

Not DrP here but maybe I can answer your question.

Good or bad, the olds Maui strains, there gone and won't be coming back. For many reasons, the market here on Maui, on both sides of the transaction, just prefer indica strains.

From a growers point of view sativas' are a bitch. When you grow sativas it's gonna take the whole year to do it. The plants flower on photoperiod, so that means no harvest until October. You harvest when everyone else harvests. Feast or famine. I remember back in the day I'd sit on everything until after well after Christmas just so I would get a better price. Sativas came from seeds, so quality was not constant. Some plants are better than others, and you won't know until the end. Males and fags are a definite possibility and also, you won't find out until the end too.

Indicas flower when I tell them to. That alone puts them far above Sativas in my garden. No males, no fags, no problems, constant quality. What's not to like?

People on the mainland don't like to hear this, and seed sellers know this but won't let on, but here on Maui it really isn't the genetics. It's the environment. I have many times watched something great from here jump to the mainland, where it's loses whatever made it good. And in reverse, bagseeds from the mainland imports are at the start of that Mauiwowie you all dream about. It's all about the aina.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I helped grow out Blood x Durban in southern oregon
It was exuisite

I was told pure Blood is still alive but held a lil too closely

BEL used some wild sativas in making their Hawaiian and, just like Haze, Ive found one needs to go through a number of seeds to find a stellar plant...but they are to be found.
The layer Hawaiians made from HP13 were more consistent, though less of a wild sativa than BEL's stuff

I grow with lots of various rock dusts, so that may have helped their expressions here on the mainland.

Armageddon000

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
i have found the same ,, sometimes the weed grown outside those areas is still ok , perhaps better than the average and better than dj found ,
but overall there will be no comparison to growing it in its homeland ,
this would be true of most stuff grown closer to the equator imho ...

theres a good reason why hawaiin , thai etc got a good name , genetics and the location it was grown ...

well Short grew it at 45N, maybe growing more in the south, he could get better results.. but I think it can do well in crosses. I think that Chimera used line called Blood in his hawaiian spice cross. it has huge success, very beautiful plant. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7387124&postcount=47

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

Good or bad, the olds Maui strains, there gone and won't be coming back. For many reasons, the market here on Maui, on both sides of the transaction, just prefer indica strains.

From a growers point of view sativas' are a bitch. When you grow sativas it's gonna take the whole year to do it. The plants flower on photoperiod, so that means no harvest until October. You harvest when everyone else harvests. Feast or famine. I remember back in the day I'd sit on everything until after well after Christmas just so I would get a better price. Sativas came from seeds, so quality was not constant. Some plants are better than others, and you won't know until the end. Males and fags are a definite possibility and also, you won't find out until the end too.

Indicas flower when I tell them to. That alone puts them far above Sativas in my garden. No males, no fags, no problems, constant quality. What's not to like?

People on the mainland don't like to hear this, and seed sellers know this but won't let on, but here on Maui it really isn't the genetics. It's the environment. I have many times watched something great from here jump to the mainland, where it's loses whatever made it good. And in reverse, bagseeds from the mainland imports are at the start of that Mauiwowie you all dream about. It's all about the aina.

do all people grow for profit there? aren't there some people growing just for fun some sativas? I know that member Green, growing in heart of Puna, is messing with some crazy narrow leafers there, though the stuff is from Manipuri, Thailand, Colombia etc..

I saw greyskull was growing some cambodian there..
We were lucky in that an Uncle went to Vietnam on a business trip, and while there he stopped over in Cambodia to see some old friends. He left with a handful of seeds that he brought back to Hawaii nei.

I have a copy of the female they kept (not sure if there are more seeds in hand or if this is it) but I am just getting to know her. The bud pic is a very long cured chunk he had stashed in jar while I was visiting.

The fan leaves do a gnarly double bladed serration action that is very cool, though I've seen it before (in the BloodxDurban we have).

Anyhow sorry to hijack the thread I was just mega excited haha

Enjoy your travels and stay safe
Aloha!

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68801&pictureid=1635866&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]
[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68801&pictureid=1635860&thumb=1"]View Image
[/URL]

This is BloodxDurban pointing at 930, Cambodian at 12 noon
[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68801&pictureid=1635865&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

so what you say oldhaole is maybe valid for commercial growers only? not for sativa enthusiasts which live at Hawaii, what you think? of course I dont deny that old strains could be lost, or hybridized with indica like it happened to golden voice..

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran

You never know. Maybe somebody still has it. I kind of doubt it.

Ive purchased so called Hawaiian seeds. They are nothing like what I smoked back then

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Dr P i made a close friend from Maui who knew Mr Maui as he was called from my understanding the Maui sativa had Blood as one of its parents and i was told what Blood was.

I know the DEA came down hard on many but also heard that people from the mainland US and mex made a mess of it there to.

I know some still grow sativas there but you need to know people that know them to make contact but to be honest why should they share things they would only end up being hacked and hybridized and end up in the seed market were they get no benefit.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

That has happened every were from Hawaii to Jamaica to Australia and even Asia but you have a good % of growers that grow for person use and many of them are anal when it comes to the type of things they smoke.

Lets be honest not much of what come out of the commercial seed industry comes close to the older sativa lines that were locally grown.

I am sure a lot of the commercial stuff originates from Holland but i would bet a large % of the personal smoke that the older growers smoke is still closely related to the old lines.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
to be honest why should they share things they would only end up being hacked and hybridized and end up in the seed market were they get no benefit.

im not sure that many have doing that in mind hempy ,
sure the odd person , but many folks just want to grow something different , they dont all own seed companies ...

also lets say someone does get some seed and do as you said ,
what loss is it to the person in hawaii ? is there any loss other than others around the world might get to try that and some seed company makes some money from it...

i say still share and take a chance , not everyone is a capitalist pig ..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The law has changed now in Hawaii and when has the seed industry ever been about preservation or looking out for the people they often steel seed from ?.

Look at Arjan and Franco how many things did they collect and how many of the things they collected ever make it to peoples grow rooms that would be Zero.

I know for a fact that Maui still has sativas i would like to see the Hawaiians set up a co op type deal were they grew the seed sold the seed and all the profit went back to them.

If you grow to sell then no sativas are not as practical as a modern hybrid but few hybrids can match the quality of the old Hawaiian sativas.

So if your growing for personal smoke and your legal what would you grow a sativa that can grow 7m yields huge with an unequal high to any commercial offering or a commercial line that gives you a okay smoke.