What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have You Been Vaccinated?

Have You Been Vaccinated?

• Yes!

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • No!

Votes: 40 21.1%
  • Soon!

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • No Way!

Votes: 59 31.1%
  • I Just Wanna Watch!

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters

BudToaster

Veteran
damn! so i was a "polio pioneer" - didn't know that - informed consent, not! didn't get no merit badge either. in first grade, i was first one in my elementary school to get the polio jab - 1954. must have worked, cause i never got polio again.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
none of my kids get to drink soda - not if I'm paying for it anyway - best to educate them on what a poison processed sugars can be - filtered water out of the tap is far cheaper than Coca-Cola/sodas - and much - much healthier -

I was amazed at how a 7 yr old girl could go bonkers on a soda pop and an empty stomach. She has realized the danger of corn syrup, and now likes my water.

Gypsy, keep us posted on your son. Are you sure he has WuFlu? I believe you over the news all day.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
true story,they used to deliver milk door to door

Yep, we had that service when I was a kid. No clue why this was stopped by most. There are a few that deliver but its range is very limited. IMO if milk was easily delivered again it would be a huge hit. Milk is always the 1st item I run out of. If people had a set delivery schedule most would never notice all the milk was gone.

Gry

Veteran
In 1954, polio was a terrifying reality. The vaccine began as a large clinical trial of 1.3 million kids around the country. They called themselves Polio Pioneers, the first to try a new vaccine in the hopes of ending a grave threat.

Nine months after the trial ended, the vaccine was declared safe and effective. In 1955, mass inoculation against polio began. 25 years later, domestic polio transmission had all but vanished.

Polio is now a mandated vaccination in all 50 states. The kids you see pictured made this a reality for us all.

And a dozen years later the group became LSD pioneers, just look at those grins.

Can't help but look with disappointment how the perspective on greed has changed between then and now.

The man who discovered insulin – and gave it to the world for free

In 1923, Frederick Banting and his team won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for the discovery of insulin. Before then, the only way for people with type 1 diabetes to control their blood glucose was on a “starvation diet,” which is exactly what it sounds like.

In 2004, Banting was voted the fourth greatest ever Canadian. In 1989, the Queen Mother lit a flame of hope as a tribute to Frederick Banting and the people who have died as a result of diabetes. When a cure for type 1 diabetes has been discovered, the researchers who find it will have the honor of extinguishing the flame.

It wasn’t just the discovery of insulin that has made Banting so revered – it’s his character. When the Nobel Prize was awarded only to him and his associated John MacLeod, he was furious that the contributions of the other members of his team had not been recognised. Both Banting and MacLeod shared their prize money with others who had worked on the discovery.
Discovering insulin could have made Banting very rich, but he decided to give the patent away for free. He wanted insulin to be available to everyone, not held out of reach at exorbitant prices.

http://www.diabetescommunity.com/blo...anting-insulin

armedoldhippy

Veteran
must be a coincidence then that statistically poor people consume more soda than those with higher income. it can't be because you can get a two litre for 99 cents at every supermarket in the country and a head of broccoli costs $6.

6 bucks? no wonder i never bought any...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Of course lol. You ain't getting it free..

you can't afford it on food stamps either. was in line behind lady in store once. she had mayo, pickles, eggs, and twelve cans of tuna cat food. not supposed to buy pet food with food stamps, but the sale went right through. pretty obvious (to me) why...

Cuddles

you can't afford it on food stamps either. was in line behind lady in store once. she had mayo, pickles, eggs, and twelve cans of tuna cat food. not supposed to buy pet food with food stamps, but the sale went right through. pretty obvious (to me) why...

wot? The authorities know that people eat cat food? omg.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, we had that service when I was a kid. No clue why this was stopped by most. There are a few that deliver but its range is very limited. IMO if milk was easily delivered again it would be a huge hit. Milk is always the 1st item I run out of. If people had a set delivery schedule most would never notice all the milk was gone.

i bet it was agri-business that killed that along with family farms...i would think right around the time that corn syrup became the poison de jur agribusiness wanted to shove down everyones throat...the beginning of "fatmerica"

Gry

Veteran

Things have changed so much, that at times I find it is cheaper to buy human food for my cats cheaper than the cat food.
Specifically with canned tuna, and mackerel.
The scene you described, is what comes to mind for me when I read about the prechecked boxes on Trump's donation requests.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
so does this mean there´s nothing else or funny mixed into it?

what would that be? and why? folks worry about their pets, lol...and sue if something goes "wrong". fuck, pet food is probably better for you than the shit they sell in 7-11s in food deserts.

Gry

Veteran
so does this mean there´s nothing else or funny mixed into it?

It is a reference to impoverished elderly eating pet food as a cheap source of meat.
The US went though a depression in the 20s that really never left until WWII.
Prior to WWII the US knew poverty on a scale that has been largely lost to time.

Cuddles

It is a reference to impoverished elderly eating pet food as a cheap source of meat.
The US went though a depression in the 20s that really never left until WWII.
Prior to WWII the US knew poverty on a scale that has been largely lost to time.

Post -war europe was really bad too - lots of hungry people. I guess the same is true for most people who had to endure war or post war times. I know koreans who suffered back then. Many say that kim-chi saved them! ... But don´t give that stuff to your cat lol! :biggrin:

Cuddles

what would that be? and why? folks worry about their pets, lol...and sue if something goes "wrong". fuck, pet food is probably better for you than the shit they sell in 7-11s in food deserts.

lol, dunno what those are :)
often pet food is referred to and regarded as stuff / left over meat etc. that is not `fit for human consumption´
over here they have rather strict regulations these days regarding what is allowed to be sold to humans (or at least I hope so!!)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
lol, dunno what those are :)
often pet food is referred to and regarded as stuff / left over meat etc. that is not `fit for human consumption´
over here they have rather strict regulations these days regarding what is allowed to be sold to humans (or at least I hope so!!)

7-11s = lowest common denominator store. all the crap you should never eat, lol. a "food desert "is normally in poor neighborhoods of bigger cities where groceries are primarily purchased at....(wait for it) a 7-11 or something quite similar. want fresh veggies, or other healthy stuff? good luck...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I was amazed at how a 7 yr old girl could go bonkers on a soda pop and an empty stomach. She has realized the danger of corn syrup, and now likes my water.

Gypsy, keep us posted on your son. Are you sure he has WuFlu? I believe you over the news all day.

We get these test kits - given out by the NHS to test for covid - if you get one bar on the test-kit you are not infected - if you get two bars you are said to have covid - and my son was getting 2 bars the first day he took sick - and the second and third day too - he will take another test today - as we all will - and so far no one else has got 2 bars except for the boy -

He's not been so ill - the first day was the fever/sweats and headache and dry eyes - but yesterday and today he seems perfectly normal without any signs of being sick - he's not supposed to go out till after 10 days and he shows one bar on the test kit -

We did send off a saliva/swab sample to the NHS laboratory - to find out which variant it is - but have not had a reply just yet -

Latest posts

Latest posts