What's new

Hash oil techniques and solvents for non BHO hash oil?

troutman

Seed Whore
Read the fine print next time before ordering.

Heptane should be better than pentane and hexane because less water dissolves in it.

The only downside is it's higher boiling point.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Embarrassingly wicked brain fart.

I finally found quart cans of Bestine Solvent and Thinner at eBay for $30, and ordered one.

The anisole came all the way up from Ft. Worth, Texas via Amazon's own carrier, was out for delivery here in the Inland Empire of SoCal, and "A carrier delay has occurred." "Delayed: Your package is still on the way, but it will arrive later than originally expected due to a transit delay." They even sent me an email. Traffic accident?? Weird one.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Though considered a relatively non-toxic solvent, listed by the FDA as Class 3, I doubt anyone would choose to use anisole to extract cannabis, it's sharply pungent, and slow to evaporate.

Reminds me of the worst of dry cleaner odors.

Odor Description:
at 1.00 % in dipropylene glycol.
phenolic gasoline ethereal anise
Luebke, William tgsc, (1987)

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1031451.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisole

I have ethyl formate and ethyl propionate coming from the same manufacturer, HiMedia via Amazon. Check out the pics.

Attachments

• P1030501.jpg
    P1030501.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 13
  • P1030502.jpg
    P1030502.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 17
  • P1030505.jpg
    P1030505.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1030507.jpg
    P1030507.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 13
  • P1030511.jpg
    P1030511.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P1030515.jpg
    P1030515.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030514.jpg
    P1030514.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 18
  • P1030513.jpg
    P1030513.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030512.jpg
    P1030512.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030518.jpg
    P1030518.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 15

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Purification of Laboratory Chemicals, 7th edition purchased and on it's way.

A few pages on drying and stuff isn't worth $110 especially when the pdf is much easier to search. I must stress I was referring to the last 4 editions at a libgen or bookzz.

Businesses are not required to keep records of unregulated transactions which for acetone is still 50 gallons. Nothing will make the Feds care about some guy ordering acetone or MEK unless MAYBE you order 35% hydrogen peroxide at the same time. What will really get you investigated? Chemical orders arriving at your house constantly.

The delivery people are paid for information - they have all the incentive they need to turn you in. I ordered a case of 9" square pots and was not happy to find it was shipped USPS. The mailman drew a smiley face on a blank note he left with the Hydrofarm case. Wasn't a good feeling tho. More worried about that kind of thing than my chemical purchase history.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I took a look before ordering, no regrets. Thanks!!

What makes the US great is having the ways and means, and freedom for creative endeavors. I doubt a common citizen of any other country could replicate my endeavor to examine the range of relatively non-toxic solvents.

Agreed, no one that wishes to remain free from suspicion should be as flagrant as I've been. The main reason for posting pictures of the packaging, and whether a signature is required for delivery is so others know how they're exposing themselves to scrutiny.

I did make a couple of truly ignorant errors, I made a snide remark while making an inquiry at a large chemical house about the hypocrisy of needing a business account when I can buy pails of acetone no questions asked at my local home improvement store, and I registered and inquired at a Chinese chemical manufacturers broker site. Anything you want, $160 shipping for the first liter, dozens of offers, mostly 'please increase quantity so we can give you a better deal, sir!!' 'But we can send just a liter, let us know,' or how about, 'increase the size of the order and we'll send it stealth.' Yikes!!! These are foreign nationals, the US government has a right to monitor both sides of the conversation.

http://www.lookchem.com

I belive in personal responsibility. Government should only exist to facilitate rounding up a posse to go after those who infringe on the freedoms of others. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Comedy relief,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vvXNMG5f6k

Attachments

• fabulous-furry-freak-brothers-freewheelin-franklin-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg
    fabulous-furry-freak-brothers-freewheelin-franklin-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore

What I did is something like that but a little different.
But that video should be renamed: Solvent Purification: isohexane.
Since he's not getting any hexane at all if you take the time to watch the video.

My spray cans have N-Hexane in them and it even mentions that on the spray can.
I saw 2 more cans at a local hardware store and may go get them. LOL
They cost less than $7.50 + tax and I get around 350 mL of N-Hexane from each.
I'm actually on phase 2 of my extraction. (aka soxhletting) as I write this post.
I'm using methanol is my soxhlet apparatus.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I now have ethyl acetate from three suppliers. Here's pictures of how Amazon delivers $15/quart cans of MG Chemicals 100% ethyl acetate. No signature required.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRKPGD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_acetate

Awaiting the 500ml of ethyl butyrate from Thailand mentioned several posts back, and the ethyl formate and ethyl propionate from India via HiMedia fronted through Amazon. The Bestine heptane is on it's way. Right Price Chemicals shipped out the four liter jug of iso-octane.

The last pieces of glassware for the comparison tests are also on their way.

Yesterday I transferred quarts of each solvent that came in plastic containers to glass, what a barrage of exotic fragrances. :)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_e0.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e0.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 10
  • fullsizeoutput_e1.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 11
  • fullsizeoutput_e2.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 11
  • fullsizeoutput_e3.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 12
  • P1030530.jpg
    P1030530.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 11
  • P1030535.jpg
    P1030535.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 18
  • P1030533.jpg
    P1030533.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 11
  • P1030531.jpg
    P1030531.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My name, address, phone number, and email were removed, otherwise this is a typical example of how the Chinese responded to my request:

admin@slnatech.com May 3 at 8:38 PM
To
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Good day!

Do u still need following products? Pls reply! Thank u!

Dimethyl carbonate 500ml $150. 16L $500. shippment included.

Waiting for your reply asap!

xxxxxxxxxx
Addie Meng
Senior Sales Manager
Shuliang commerce trade Co., Ltd.
E-mail: admin@slnatech.com / sales@slnatech.com
xxxxxxxxxx

Date: 2017-04-17 14:49
To: xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Mr. John/price about 616-38-6(Dimethyl carbonate 99.5% min)we are selling on LookChem.com.!
Dear Mr. John,
Good day! Glad to receive your inquiry on lookchem.com

Pls check the door to door price of Dimethyl carbonate 500ml $150. 16L $500. shippment included. How do you think?

Payment terms: west union/ moneygram/ bank transfer / bitcions.
Delivery date: in 2 days after payment confirmed.
Delivery method: by express- EMS/EUB/FedEx/TNT ect.. or by air delivery.

Waiting for your reply asap!

xxxxxxxxxx
Addie Meng
Senior Sales Manager
Shuliang commerce trade Co., Ltd.
E-mail: admin@slnatech.com / sales@slnatech.com
xxxxxxxxxx

Date: 2017-04-15 10:10
To: Addie
Subject: Addie,Inquiry about 616-38-6(Dimethyl carbonate 99.5% min) you are selling on LookChem.com.!

Home | For Buyer | For Seller | My LookChem

Dear Addie:
This mail is delivered automatically by www.LookChem.com, please do not reply to it.
You''ve received a new message in "My LookChem" from a LookChem member, please respond soonest.

Sender's Message:
Quantity: 1 to 16 liters Quality Standards: Packing: Place of Origin: Purity: 99+% Standard: Detailed Description: What size sample can you send me for < $200USD
xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Inquiry about 616-38-6(Dimethyl carbonate 99.5% min) you are selling on LookChem.com.
Country/Region: United States
Date: 2017/4/15 10:01:20
realname: xxxxxxxxxx

tel: xxxxxxxxxx

fax:

email: xxxxxxxxxx

To view and respond to the message: please login, http://www.Lookchem.com/login.aspx
Best wishes,
LookChem.com
2017/4/15

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
:woohoo:

I ordered a 3 gallon ITALIAN glass carboy a few days ago and now I just have to go pick it up.

I got this so I can make my own alcohol using corn sugar and Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. :dance013:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tested out an inexpensive triac 'motor controller' yesterday, and found it's window of control and degree of precision is way short of that provided by my Variac.

This is what I bought, but I assume any controller in this price range is just as crappy when compared to a Variac,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZ5MBM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PID controllers can be magical in specific instances, but a Variac still seems to be a necessary piece of equipment for a lab.

Ebay has new 110V/20A Variacs for $75 plus $10 shipping,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hug-Flight-...591293?hash=item2125e38ffd:g:3j0AAOSw32lY0K1R

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beacon Solvent and Thinner is being touted as the replacement for Bestine, and that's what I received.

I couldn't find a MSDS for it and sent Beacon a request. Be aware! I searched the MSDS's of similar products, and they're not pure heptane!!!

That said, I'm so confident Beacon is 100% heptane that when I found a gallon for $50 delivered to my door at Sears Marketplace I ordered. I'll keep you updated. :)

Attachments

• P1030543.jpg
    P1030543.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 19
  • P1030539.jpg
    P1030539.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20
  • P1030538.jpg
    P1030538.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 15
  • fullsizeoutput_e5.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e5.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 13
  • fullsizeoutput_e4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 11
  • P1030545.jpg
    P1030545.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 14
  • P1030546.jpg
    P1030546.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030547.jpg
    P1030547.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 22
  • P1030549.jpg
    P1030549.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 12
  • P1030552.jpg
    P1030552.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This four liter jug of iso-octane is going straight to my treasure chest, I already have a liter for testing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,2,4-Trimethylpentane

I haven't received shipping confirmation for the 500ml of ethyl butyrate from Thailand, and the HiMedia ethyl formate and ethyl propionate is still back ordered, otherwise I'm done scoring solvents.

:dance013:

Attachments

• P1030558.jpg
    P1030558.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 18
  • fullsizeoutput_e7.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e7.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 12
  • P1030556.jpg
    P1030556.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 13
  • P1030555.jpg
    P1030555.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 18
  • fullsizeoutput_e6.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e6.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 15
  • fullsizeoutput_e8.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e8.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 14
  • fullsizeoutput_e9.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e9.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 14
  • P1030561.jpg
    P1030561.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 13
  • P1030563.jpg
    P1030563.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030564.jpg
    P1030564.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 19

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beacon Solvent and Thinner is being touted as the replacement for Bestine, and that's what I received.

I couldn't find a MSDS for it and sent Beacon a request. Be aware! I searched the MSDS's of similar products, and they're not pure heptane!!!

That said, I'm so confident Beacon is 100% heptane that when I found a gallon for $50 delivered to my door at Sears Marketplace I ordered. I'll keep you updated. :)

David Meshirer <david@beaconadhesives.com> Today at 9:41 AM
To
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi John,
Thanks for buying our product. Will get in MSDS over to you ASAP. I confirm our product is 98percent heptane and we look forward to your being a customer.

If you have any questions please let me know. I will be happy to assist

Best Regards,

David Meshirer
Beacon Adhesives Co Inc.
914-699-3400

www.beaconadhesives.com

troutman

Seed Whore
I had high hopes seeing my initial results.

I am now lost now as there's no exact recipe anywhere on making Hexane Honey Oil and and hit a road block. :moon:

Next time, I try chloroform despite the dangers involved.

troutman

Seed Whore

Sorry saw that many times, even bookmarked it.

Might as well tell me to make bread with flour,water and an oven.

There's no exact recipe = failure. :moon:

All I have is black mess and a real hexane headache.

Oxygen tank would be nice now. Guess I open window more.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry saw that many times, even bookmarked it.

Might as well tell me to make bread with flour,water and an oven.

There's no exact recipe = failure. :moon:

All I have is black mess and a real hexane headache.

Oxygen tank would be nice now. Guess I open window more.

Hexane extractions are highly forgiving from a chlorophyll pickup standpoint, though somewhat tedious to purge.

It will pick up plant waxes and the C-30 anthrocyanin plant pigments, which is ostensibly your cloudiness and dark amber color.

How old was the material?

troutman

Seed Whore
Hexane extractions are highly forgiving from a chlorophyll pickup standpoint, though somewhat tedious to purge.

It will pick up plant waxes and the C-30 anthrocyanin plant pigments, which is ostensibly your cloudiness and dark amber color.

How old was the material?

The material isn't that old. Somebody told me to filter it with carbon and I messed up.
My filter let the carbon go thru. Now the hexane extract has carbon dust mixed with it.

The chlorophyll came from using methanol as my primary solvent.

Purging is not going to be an issue I think. :tiphat:

BTW: How do you get rid of anthrocyanin?

So back to the internet library and figure out this filtration thing.

Latest posts

Latest posts