What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Happy New Year! 2023 is upon us..

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Hello to all my fellow outdoor growers, it's been a while since i last visited the mag but one of my new year's resolutions is to post more. It's winter here in california and we are getting some much-needed rain and snow. This is a good time to plan the upcoming season, figure out what worked from last year and what needs to be improved upon. We're still trying to dial in my outdoor garden and grow the biggest plants possible, in organic soil, from seed. Plus a breeding project or two and that should be enough to keep me busy.

What are y'alls plans for the upcoming season? Trying anything new? What lessons did you learn from last season?

Cheers and have a great new year! -Shcrews

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I know that I have missed watching your grows. They are very inspiring plus those pics of your land are fantastic. Glad to se you back around and hope to see more of ya this year. Happy New Year :rasta:

Fuck yeah, welcome back! I can’t wait to see your monsters this year! What gen is your Ancient OG on now?

Happy New Year!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great to see you again Schrews! What breeding projects are you working on this winter?

Enjoying watching 40degreessouth grow Purple Sprite down under in the Anything Ourdoors thread.

Just got the rest of my seed in yesterday! Doing a Deep Chunk preservation run with about 60 seeds to work with! Got a pack of 21 from Humboldt CSI and a couple epindorph tubes of 2008 F2's from a friend! Will be hybridizing to work into my Sativa Candy Chunk cultivar which is becoming more stable at F12 now! Also will be growing a list of inbred lines for outcrossing, and eventually working back into the line in later years.

Got a good list of lines going but here's whats going out as of now for the remainder of the garden.

Pine Tar Kush IBL

Sterling Skunk IBL

Uzbekistani IBL

Pakistani Chitral Kush IBL

Deep Chunk x Blueberry

Sour Bubble F2

'79 X-Mas Bud IBL

Pinewarp (Texada Timewarp IBL x Purple Pineberry)

Have you considered growing more numbers of smaller more managable plants. Ed Rosenthal said on The Potcast that from his experience, it seems like smaller plants can produce better quality, or potency flowers. His hypothesis is that it has more balanced carbon usage in the plant. Carbon energy in the form of sugar is produced in the leaves, the source, and is utilized at various points, called sinks. Root growth is a sink, so if root growth and shoot growth are not in balance, the plant may not meet its potential potency.

There are probably still plant count restrictions for cannabis growers. Makes no sense because yield can vary so much between plants, with so many variables, and its more about sq ft.

Working on fertility. Going to be using the new recommended lower rate of dry composted chicken manure worked into the soil before planting. Then will top dress composted chicken manure once in early June. In early July will put down guano/ other organic N sources like alfalfa, and then will mulch with 3 inches composted cow manure.

Then it will be water water water as needed once a week until we see the big buds hanging...

Thats the plan!

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check out the Anything Outdoor Thread for similar discussions. Forum can be slow sometimes....

40degsouth

Here’s something to kick the thread off for you Schrews.
AOG f5 planted as a 150mm clone on the 27th of November. As of a week or two ago, she’s 500mm tall.
Let’s see how big she gets with unlimited root space.
Cheers,
91B7E9B7-C4A7-4394-A5D0-F682F4F42EBB.png

St. Phatty

I started earlier this year than almost any other year.

partially because the internet went out 2 days after Christmas.

Plus I got a beautiful, knock on wood, Triploid plant.

She is still putting out 3-leaf nodes at about age 5 weeks.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haha, so you started your crop in stead of surfing ICMAG! Going to have some nice bushes to put outside! I thought about getting mine going earlier, but I don't want to have to deal with hardening off/acclimation.

How do you know its triploid!? Clone it, those are valuable because they don't produce offspring. Those can be propagated over thousands of acres and not one plant will produce seed! Thats how they are doing CBD hemp now I think.

St. Phatty

Haha, so you started your crop in stead of surfing ICMAG! Going to have some nice bushes to put outside! I thought about getting mine going earlier, but I don't want to have to deal with hardening off/acclimation.

How do you know its triploid!? Clone it, those are valuable because they don't produce offspring. Those can be propagated over thousands of acres and not one plant will produce seed! Thats how they are doing CBD hemp now I think.

Yeah, would like to have a HUGE plant to feed the deer, with a normal plant.

With the Triploid, it's like a 4 leaf clover except with 3 leaves.

I have not examined the chromosomes with an electron microscope.

Will attempt to breed with it either way.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think that fits the description of triploid. Its probably a mutation of some kind which only affects leaf morphology. What are you seeing?

Is it whorled instead of alternate or opposite (branching)?

budsnblunts

Veteran
Here's three blue dream clones, breeder is garden of green. Between three and four feet tall.

Attachments

• 20230123_143402.jpg
    20230123_143402.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
  • 20230123_143405.jpg
    20230123_143405.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 20230123_143428.jpg
    20230123_143428.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • 20230123_143434.jpg
    20230123_143434.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 50
  • 20230123_143452.jpg
    20230123_143452.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 51

St. Phatty

I don't think that fits the description of triploid. Its probably a mutation of some kind which only affects leaf morphology. What are you seeing?

Is it whorled instead of alternate or opposite (branching)?

I'm not sure but it's maintaining the "3" theme.

I just took 2 clones from it. I will probably give it a little longer in Veg.

I gave it the good soil. No leaf tip yellowing when I transplanted from the 1 gallon pot to the shortie 5 gallon bucket, which I guess is a 4 1/2 gallon bucket.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Great to see you again Schrews! What breeding projects are you working on this winter?

Enjoying watching 40degreessouth grow Purple Sprite down under in the Anything Ourdoors thread.

Just got the rest of my seed in yesterday! Doing a Deep Chunk preservation run with about 60 seeds to work with! Got a pack of 21 from Humboldt CSI and a couple epindorph tubes of 2008 F2's from a friend! Will be hybridizing to work into my Sativa Candy Chunk cultivar which is becoming more stable at F12 now! Also will be growing a list of inbred lines for outcrossing, and eventually working back into the line in later years.

Got a good list of lines going but here's whats going out as of now for the remainder of the garden.

Pine Tar Kush IBL

Sterling Skunk IBL

Uzbekistani IBL

Pakistani Chitral Kush IBL

Deep Chunk x Blueberry

Sour Bubble F2

'79 X-Mas Bud IBL

Pinewarp (Texada Timewarp IBL x Purple Pineberry)

Have you considered growing more numbers of smaller more managable plants. Ed Rosenthal said on The Potcast that from his experience, it seems like smaller plants can produce better quality, or potency flowers. His hypothesis is that it has more balanced carbon usage in the plant. Carbon energy in the form of sugar is produced in the leaves, the source, and is utilized at various points, called sinks. Root growth is a sink, so if root growth and shoot growth are not in balance, the plant may not meet its potential potency.

There are probably still plant count restrictions for cannabis growers. Makes no sense because yield can vary so much between plants, with so many variables, and its more about sq ft.

Working on fertility. Going to be using the new recommended lower rate of dry composted chicken manure worked into the soil before planting. Then will top dress composted chicken manure once in early June. In early July will put down guano/ other organic N sources like alfalfa, and then will mulch with 3 inches composted cow manure.

Then it will be water water water as needed once a week until we see the big buds hanging...

Thats the plan!
Deep Chunk x Blueberry sounds really interesting.

We have a plant limit here, 30 maximum. We have grown smaller plants before and it is easier but puts us over our limit. However, there is no drop in quality when a plant gets very big, that is a myth. Healthy plants are bigger and better. We prune our big girls heavily to ensure no bullshit is left underneath/inside, this also helps the root-to-shoot ratio.

We have been loving the chicken manure as well, the pellets specifically. It's hard to satisfy the voracious appetite of a monster cannabis plant. Amending the soil, foliar feeding and top dressing are all neccessary or else they will fade out early.

weve been getting a ton of rain here in the Sierras, should be a good outdoor season this year. cheers!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wish they went with square feet, that seems like its more appropriate measurement for yield.

What brand chicken manure pellets do you use? I have been using Coop Poop brand granular composted poultry manure with good success. A little risk of burn.

How much and how often did you top dress with it?

I was afraid to get burn and skipped my mid summer feeding and the plants were hungry toward the end of august. I didn't want to use the chicken manure mid flower so I put down some guano, then a couple weeks later kelp and alfalfa with about an inch or 2 composted cow manure/peat humus mixture . They ended up fine and super sweet smoke.

Last edited: