What's new

Happy Frog vs. Ocean Forest, side by side comparison grow

G

i wonder how phare the, HF go's with out adding nutriants? I know the OF go's about 3 weeks without feeding. HF and light warrior together :woohoo:

sqwirl

Ok, sorry about not posting my nutrient schedule this week. I will try to get it this upcoming week.

Happy Frog and Ocean Forest both cost me about $22. The difference is that HF is 2.0 cuft and OF is 1.5 cuft.

So from the above picture you can see that HF (Left) is just a bit taller than the OF. It has stretched abit more and definitly has more plant matter than the OF. They both seem healthy. The OF plant is getting some leaf curl at the end of its leafs. Nothing to bad. When rubbing a leaf the ocean forest plant seems to be thicker, somewhat healthier in a way. But truthfully they are both very healthy and loving their soil.

picture below is OF

now below is HF

UmphreyMcgee420

Heady Connoisseur
Veteran
in my neck of the woods happy frog is more expensive than fox farm ocean forrest. so im going to keep going with the OF. im loving it thus far, and maybe will give happy frog a try when i have room.

Space Toker

Veteran
in my neck of the woods, hydro stores are few and far between, I mean it is literally a real haul to get to one and then all those bs precautions you have to take by not taking your own car and walking a mile and all.... who needs it? Plus I can buy like 3 regular commercial bags of potting soil for 1 of the FFOF. So is it really worth it? Can't you just get some commecial soil available at Wal-Mart or Lowes or Home Depot and amend them with basic organic additives to make them almost as good at like half the cost? It is one thing if you are a commericial grower, but for someone on a limited budget just looking to grow a little for personal use it is a bit extravagant. This Happy Frog seems promising but still isn't sold where it is readily available to me. I have a greenhouse supply store like 50 or so miles away, but without a car and having to rely on someone for a ride, that is very far, and their prices for Metro Mix and like a thousand other unknown soils are not good unless you buy a huge pallet which is too much for me, that would last me like 50 years and I don't have those kind of funds. So any recipes on using some shitty mix as a base and adding perlite, nutrients and other ammendments to make it like 3/4 as good as FFOF would be appreciated. THANKS
PEACE
PS GREAT THREAD

sqwirl

ST: I'm sure you can find a thread around here that should help you. Sorry I can't.

My Flowering nutrient schedule:
I water with nutrients every 3rd watering, Other times it's pure water.

week #1 & #2: .5 tsp Open Sesame, 1tbl Fox Big Bloom, 2tsp Tiger Bloom, 1 ounce Sweet.

First nutrient watering of week #2 I add 1 tsp of Liquid Karma

week #3: .5 tsp Beastie Bloomz, 1tbl Big Bloom, 2 tsp Tiger, 1tsp Grow Big, 1 ounce Sweet.
first nute watering addition: 1.5 tsp Cal Mag

week #4: .5 tsp Beastie Bloomz, 1tbl Bloom, 2 tsp Tiger, 1 tsp Grow, 1 ounce Sweet.

week #5: .5 tsp Beastie Bloomz, 1 tbl Bloom, 2 tsp Tiger, 1 ounce Sweet
first nute watering addition: 1.0 tsp Liquid Karma

week #6: .5 tsp Cha Ching, 1 tbl Bloom, 2 tsp Tiger, 1 ounce Sweet
additions: During the first pure water day of this week I give them 5ml Gravity.

week #7: 1 tsp Cha Ching, 1 ounce Sweet

week #8: pure water and definitly one watering of EA EN

week #9: pure water

I like to give them all a dose of EA EN about every 2-3 weeks. I use 1 ounce of each per gallon.

Here's a picture of my hot knife water hash pipe, I'm trying to get this design around. So please spread the love,

Lets get this design in smoke shops around the world!

sqwirl

:wave: Hello friends, First off I'd like to say sorry for my long break from this thread. I've finally remembered to take pictures, so here we go.
topview (Ocean forest Left, Happy Frog right)

ocean forest GDP:
Happy Frog GDP:
The Happy Frog plant seems to have filled out a bit more. It is bushier and also taller than the Ocean forest plant. When rubbing their leafs they both seem to be about the same health. I'm thinking that the Happy Frog plant might have had about 1 inch more of stretch, but that is about it. Wait I have also noticed that the buds on the Happy Frog plant seem to be bigger than the buds on the Ocean Forest Plant. They are noticably bigger, but the Ocean Forest isn't that far behind in size.

Last edited:

PhishHead

Nice comparison sqwirl. they both seem nice and healthy. I have been with fox farm since I started growing, I was going to give promix a try, but it seems ill give coco a try, as lots of people are enjoying it over promix.

D

DJ_highst_

Neptune said:
Nice comparison.. I have done similar sidebys with good clear results.

For all you Cali folk...

Master Nurserey Gardener's Gold, From Eureka, (bad soil)
Fox Farms Ocean Forrest (excellent)
E.B. Stone Organic Potting Soil (blue striped bag) (excellent)

The clear winner of the above was the FFOF and E.B. Stone. Both about the same, nice 1 ounce plants from each soil bags. the MNGG however, was really unbalanced, and stressed the plants out... caused some yellow leaves, and spotting from possible over fert.

Fox Farms Happy Frog is new to me, and I am using it by the BALE this year outdoors and in... it's so much cheaper it just can't be ignored. Plus, it has Endo/Ecto mycorhizzae... which saves you from using over-priced myco inoculants.

so far, the FFHF is awesome. I see no drawbacks...

I second what Neptune said. FF is great, MNGG sucks, and EB stone is greats stuff too. FF and Eb are both locally made in NorCal (important thing to consider for organics) EB stone can be found in lots of different nursuries, hardware store gardening sections etc. They make lots of great granular/top dressing soil amendments too and very reseanably priced.

I have used the Happy frog too bc you get a little beter deal with the bigger bags of soil, but I honestly cant tell the difference, but I do mix the FF and HF together so it can be hard to tell the difference. Nice thread Sqwirl

Last edited:
D

DJ_highst_

sqwirl said:
Here's a picture of my hot knife water hash pipe, I'm trying to get this design around. So please spread the love,

Lets get this design in smoke shops around the world!

Here is my hot knife set-up too. One for the bong and one for dry hits, to be used with smokeless hooku coals.

sqwirl

I've only recieved cuttings in EB stone. My plants that were in EB stone just didn't have the root health I get from fox farms. It seems like a good one, but in my opinion I think that it is just a step under fox farms. My opinion though.

J

JeffSpicoli

awesome thread! im currently using the happy frog, just cause it seemed like a better buy with the cheaper price and larger quantity.... I was thinking of gettin ocean forest next... But i think i might just stick with happy frog now :)

Stanky420

Hey Sqwirl, NIce thread man. Im using FFOF now, but will look into the HF. Never heard of it till your thread!!!!

Later,
Stanky

sqwirl

I do believe I have some explaining to do. I forgot to tell everybody that I broke the top off of one of the plants (weeks ago). So I went ahead and broke the other plant at about the same spot. They were very symetric so it was easy to decide where to do this. I feel like such a dumb:moon:. I don't believe this has done anything to the comparison, but I do want it posted what happened.

sqwirl

Alright just got some pictures taken, so lets post them:
Ocean Forest plant Left, Happy Frog plant right

I'm not the best at taking pictures, sorry about that. This next picture I took for height comparison. I do believe the Happy frog plant was always a bit bigger, and now every cola seems to be about 3inches above the Ocean Forest plant's.

Heres a picture I just took, it is of the ocean forest plant. I liked it :canabis:and decided to post it.

sqwirl

:wave: 6 weeks into flower :woohoo: !!! Things are going well. This week I have noticed that the Happy Frog plant seems to be a bit lighter green then the Ocean Forest plant. Not much, but noticable if your looking for it.
Ocean Forest left, Happy Frog Right:

:joint:

I've always :confused: questioned this strain since I picked it up at the clubs. It was labled Grandaddy Purp, but I believe that was full of shyt. I have a few thoughts of what it could be, maybe it is GDP though. I think that it could be one of Rez's diesel hybrids. It has a smell that is very similar to sensi star, but definitly with diesel in it. Grows extremely similar to my diesel. It doesn't really matter what it is for this experiment, but I have always wondered. So if anybody has a clue, well clue me in.

J

JeffSpicoli

yea that definately doesnt look like GDP, but it sure looks like some FIRE.... my god... lets get some closeup shots pleeaase? :)

sqwirl

Heres a few pictures that I have of the GDP at the moment. I'll try to get some better pictures sometime this week.

These first 3 pictures are from the happy frog plant. I took these with the pictures I've posted above, so they are recent.

:smoke: Heres a few shots from what I'm smoking now.

Heres some that were in my gallery, so I have probly posted them somewhere before, but here we go,

:hijacked: I'm glad you asked for them. :rasta:

stratoshpere

Hey Bud!!

Was good visiting you down on the bayou the other day!!! What great smoke that GDP has proven to be!! I have to say from another perspective im thinking the Ocean Forest looks better in some respects. Particularly when it comes to the color of the leaves. It really has a much healthier, darker green look. However I'm not convinced that will result in better smoke just yet. Just my 2 cents.

Thought I'd show you a couple shots of those Reservoir Sour OG's and the Double Kush. The others are on there way....

Double Kush's

Sour OG Seedlings...I can't wait for these ladies.

Keep up all the work, everything is looking great!!

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
sqwirl
Howzit..?? Thanx man for the side by side.. It does look like HF plants a wee bit fuller...
Looks like ya cant go wrong with either one.. HF sounds like she needs some N sooner thatn the OF... Anyhow great work nice pics as well.. bbl peace..

sack

Latest posts

Latest posts