What's new

Happy Frog vs. Ocean Forest, side by side comparison grow

sqwirl

In my area of the world there are some Old DeadHead hippies that swear by Ocean Forest. But with Ocean Forest being more expensive than Happy Frog, while you also get less quantity of OF also. A year ago I did a few comparison grows and decided on using the formula 1 part OF to 2 parts HF. This has worked great with my enviroment and nutes.

A year has passed using that formula and I have decided to do a fun side by side comparison. I have 2 extra GDP clones, which grow extremely vigorously in my room. I have takin a GDP clone before with less than a week of veg and gotten exactly an ounce. So high hopes for these GDP clones. Here is a picture of them right out of the cloner.

I've taken them out of the cloner, both are fairly similar in all characteristic (size, root mass, ect..). I have 1 gallon containers to put them into for their short life. I've mixed the soil (OF or HF) with perlite and coco, and here they are at transplant.

Let me add that Ocean Forest Clone is on the Left and HF on right.

A week has passed:

The main difference at this point that I can tell is their leaf thickness. The plant in Happy Frog is healthier, much thicker leaf. When rubbing the OF plant you can tell how thin and brittle it is.

I'm thinking about possibly putting them in to bud this Sunday, but will probably give them another week. They have a usual flower time in my room of 9 weeks. What do you potheads think, should I begin flowering this Sunday or next?

Not a Scientific Experiment, but a fun side by side comparison

Anybody interested in this?? Tell me your thoughts.

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
I'm very interested! :lurk:

I'm planning on doing a organic grow myself but i need to know which mix is the best deal. I'm rooting for happy frog 'cus of its super low price per volume, but i'll dish out the extra $$ for OF if its truley the better medium.

Well anyway, I think you should let them veg for another week or two. Good luck! :wave:

G

:wave: I agree with Pontiac. I'm very interested in this b/c I just switched last year from FFOF to FFHF. I'm kind of cheap and the FFOF was getting hard to find for a while.

Like Pontiac said let them veg for another week or 2.

Nice thread
GCG

J

Jack Crevalle

I've used FFOF for along time. I mix it with light warrior and Bcuzz Coco tho and make my own mix. I like the fact that the oyster shells and stuff really buffer PH alot.
I used Happy Frog once and was not happy, seemed to burn my babies, but in flower it may be perfect (I didn't note any differences at that point as they all got mixed up when they went over to the flower location)

So I went back toFFOF, but maybe pure the Happy Frog could be better in flower due to more nutes, I know people who use it instead of FFOF...

Last edited:

talos4

I've used both FFOF and Pro Mix. I added nothing extra to either soil. Never saw a difference. I was ferting with good organic ferts and their both good soils. I think once you get to the level of Pro Mix or better it's really just a matter of light, training, prunning, and ferts after that. I will always use FFOF if I can get it, but Pro Mix seems to work just as good as long as your doing the rest right.

sqwirl

Awesome, thanks for all the comments, keep them coming. I'm glad to see other people are interested in this little experiment.

Well I will let them go until the 6th to put them into budding then. With this strain they will grow over six feet tall if I let them go longer. And I'm wanting to keep them around 4ft since I'm making room in my normal rotation for them.

What do you guys think? Should I give these girls my normal rotation nutrients, or should I maybe try this one with pure water? I was thinking that If I give them pure RO water it would really show what the soil is all about. So what do you guys think, should I try them with pure RO water or should I do this with nutrients???

Breezy420

I'd run it with the nutrients. Most of us wouldn't run just pure RO through our grows, why not show us what they can really do?

Just my 2cents

G

i'v been a long time user of ocean f. mixed and mached it with almost evry thing
when happy frog hit the hydro store here i asked the guy whut was the differiants? he said it was meant for out door use and it would burn my indoor plants. i guess he was wrong... i'll be watching this one!

sqwirl

Never heard of this one myself. I do know that Happy frog lacks the shrimp and crab meal that Ocean Forest has. But Happy Frog does have Humic Acid and Beneficial Microbs.

sqwirl

It's been another week and pictures were taken. A bit tired so I will post them tomorrow. The Ladies are doing good.

sqwirl

Things are going good with the little ladies. I'm glad that everyone talked me into waiting another week. They are definitly going in this Sunday. So the growth is really about to take off.

They are both healthy. The Happy Frog plant does seem a bit happier and just a bit bigger overall. The Ocean Forest caught up a bit with leaf thickness, but the HF one still feels healthier when rubbing leaf. Other than that slight difference all is the same.

Here is a picture of them 2 weeks old in soil, and 4 days till budding room.

top view shows the Happy Frog being just a bit bigger in mass.(to remind, OF left, HF right)

I'm looking forward to putting them into budding. This flavor stretches over 2x it's height. I figured I'd leave everyone with pictures of some nuggets 1 week from harvest. So here's two GDP nug shots.

These buds here were grown using my HF 2:1 OF ratio

wishing I was an expert cameraman...

Last edited:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
I just wanna say that this thread is awesome! I'm definaltey considering getting HF instead of OF now; i just need to see some healthy HF budshots and i'm sold. :yes: Thanks for doing this sqwirl! :wave:

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
yea im keeping my i on this one for sure.. I saw this soil in our hydro shop and forgot to ask about it.. bbl peace..

sack

sqwirl

Glad to know people are following and interested. I really hope this helps.

The ladies went into the flower room on Sunday. Needless to say, they are nice and healthy. I've got a final early in the morning, but wanted to post these pictures for the week.

GDP Ocean Forest

GDP Happy Frog (below)

They are almost identical at this point. When rubbed both leafs seem to about the same thickness. Nice and healthy. I do think they both could do with a bit of nitrigen, not much but I see where a little is needed.

This brings up the points of nutrients, which I have been slacking on posting on.
1. They got a dose of 2tbs/gal of Fox Farms Bloom when they got transplanted.
2. Pure Water
3. Thrive Alive on 3rd watering
4. .5tsp Open Sesaeme (sp?) & 2.5tsp Fox Grow
5. Pure Water
Went into flowering :yummy:
6. .5tsp Open Seseame & 2.0 Fox Tiger, 1ounce Sweet
7. (Today) pure water

Since requested I will follow out with my normal nutrient schedule. The are finally getting onto my normal schedule. They were rushed in veg so that nute schedule isn't quite normal, but you could say close to normal. I will hopefully post my whole nutrient schedule for you guys to criticize/use if want. But posting will be after finals week.

Ahh this has been a great break from studying, it has helped me tremendously if you all can believe that. So thanks for tuning in. Time to :joint: and go to bed.

Let the Stretching begin :yoinks:

NorthernKronic

Grower of fine herbs...
Veteran
Hmmmm very interesting... Im hoping the HF wins out so i can spend less $$$$ great comparison grow dude awsome job!!!

N

Neptune

Nice comparison.. I have done similar sidebys with good clear results.

For all you Cali folk...

Master Nurserey Gardener's Gold, From Eureka, (bad soil)
Fox Farms Ocean Forrest (excellent)
E.B. Stone Organic Potting Soil (blue striped bag) (excellent)

The clear winner of the above was the FFOF and E.B. Stone. Both about the same, nice 1 ounce plants from each soil bags. the MNGG however, was really unbalanced, and stressed the plants out... caused some yellow leaves, and spotting from possible over fert.

Fox Farms Happy Frog is new to me, and I am using it by the BALE this year outdoors and in... it's so much cheaper it just can't be ignored. Plus, it has Endo/Ecto mycorhizzae... which saves you from using over-priced myco inoculants.

so far, the FFHF is awesome. I see no drawbacks...

NorthernKronic

Grower of fine herbs...
Veteran
Neptune said:
so far, the FFHF is awesome. I see no drawbacks...

except for all the $$$$ that your droppin on all that FFOF... I guess its worth it though.. dont you think?? hmmmm i really want happy frog to win. haha Good luck with the comparison, great job so far.
-N.Kron

{Lotus}

Growth looks identical..Good thread! Will be following this one..FFOF looks great but when it comes down to cost plus shipping, I have to favor the HF..Glad I came across this..Looking good bro..

Peace

Piffington

Nice thread Sqwirl! I definitely want to see the outcome of this "experiment". I'm also kind of rooting for the happy frog to have the same or better results due to it's attractive pricetag. Thread Tagged :lurk:

Latest posts

Latest posts