What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 24 hour eye test suggests to me I am getting close with the O/O times that only my MDT- 1 provides.

Checking the young ladies this morning, one is a hermie, so heshe has been pulled. I may attempt to finish it outside for giggles

I slid thelight directly over the young ladies, this means the mature ladies are only getting low light, which is probably good at this stage (~ 5-10 days to finish)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
checking this morning, the aero roots are still too wet at 6 seconds on, but I can see new lateral roots developing, so I dropped to 3 seconds on and 5 minutes off

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
what I thought was a hermie flipped to total male, so I cut it down and put one of the remaining females in its place outdoors, where its a lot cooler hoping it might promote more trichs

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since increasing ON time to 2 seconds and PAUSE to 6 minutes I am seeing new root hairs even out of the net pots

still, I soaked each plant in ~ 3% H2O2 today

NUGneighbor

Good afternoon PetFlora. May I ask you, are you running any filters from your res. to your grow containers ? I just haven't heard you say anything about filters. Also at the start of this thread I thought I read you were adding microbes. But I don't see you mention them any longer. I have been running LPA for 5 years. I have 4 areo systems that have 2 24 site areos to 1 res. That's 48 sites per system in the SOG. I run a 2 week pp. So I have 192 plants flowering all the time, in a 10' x 14' area. I have NEVER had a sprayer fail. Also may I suggest NPK micros for bloom. I have tried everything that is out there, and this product performs 10 times better than anything else. As soon as my clones root they go straight to 12/12. And I'm pulling anywhere from 14 grams to 20 grams per plant. So due the math, times 48 per system every 2 weeks. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it seems to me that you are always doing something different to your plants. So it's like they don't know what to do. Like they are confused. Keep it simple. Once my girls go to 12/12 I clean the filters every 2 days and change the nutes every 2 weeks that's it. Maybe pull a leaf here or there. That is the main reason for me to start growing with LPA labor. I cut my labor down from about 100 to 150 hours per plant to 2 hours per plant for the whole grow. For your run times, I have had the best luck with 15 seconds on & 10 mins. off. I hope you don't get your panties in a bunch. Cause I like reading your theads. But your driving me NUTS with all the different things you do and all the problems you have. Anyway GOOD LUCK..............................................................

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good afternoon PetFlora. May I ask you, are you running any filters from your res. to your grow containers ? I just haven't heard you say anything about filters. Also at the start of this thread I thought I read you were adding microbes. But I don't see you mention them any longer. I have been running LPA for 5 years. I have 4 areo systems that have 2 24 site areos to 1 res. That's 48 sites per system in the SOG. I run a 2 week pp. So I have 192 plants flowering all the time, in a 10' x 14' area. I have NEVER had a sprayer fail. Also may I suggest NPK micros for bloom. I have tried everything that is out there, and this product performs 10 times better than anything else. As soon as my clones root they go straight to 12/12. And I'm pulling anywhere from 14 grams to 20 grams per plant. So due the math, times 48 per system every 2 weeks. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it seems to me that you are always doing something different to your plants. So it's like they don't know what to do. Like they are confused. Keep it simple. Once my girls go to 12/12 I clean the filters every 2 days and change the nutes every 2 weeks that's it. Maybe pull a leaf here or there. That is the main reason for me to start growing with LPA labor. I cut my labor down from about 100 to 150 hours per plant to 2 hours per plant for the whole grow. For your run times, I have had the best luck with 15 seconds on & 10 mins. off. I hope you don't get your panties in a bunch. Cause I like reading your theads. But your driving me NUTS with all the different things you do and all the problems you have. Anyway GOOD LUCK..............................................................

Thanks for your input. It's hard to read run-on text, especially in small type, so I may have missed a few of your questions or points. Please break long text up into paragraphs. Also, I always increase point size before I post.

I grow for personal use, otherwise I would not be able to experiment, which I think will pay off in the long run

This thread covers several grows, and I like experimenting, so there are differences among them.

In one grow I used NPK RAW veg and bloom + microbes (and might use NPK V + B again once my Emerald Harvest runs out; probably 2-3 more grows left), but I had issues. I contacted NPK who told me microbes are for soil, not hydro! , but to use their Enzymes which convert microbes into highly bioavailable food. They need to separate soil from hydro in their recommendations/feeding chart

My usual method is to start seedlings/clones in bubbleponics, but last grow I tried lpa with hpa mist heads and was successful. Once the root systems were long enough I would then transfer into F & D

This grow, due to all the clogged HPA mist heads, my roots barely grew and dealt with extensive root rot, so I had to keep them in the starter tent which is next to my computer, so I could keep a constant eye on them and was cleaning mist heads several times a day.

I think the only thing that saved them was using the O2G 2020. Something was responsible for saving them

Filters: DWC does not have a place for filters. If I was using an outboard rez I could use a filter, but, it shouldn't be necessary: could be because of the microbes.

When you clean your filters are they coated with stuff? Do you have pictures or a grow thread

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I added one gallon of fresh bloom nutes to the young ladies @ 1000ppm to invigorate growth. Rez was at <700ppm

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Roots and Shoots

Starting with the 2 remaining plants from the previous grow: the nuggz on the one I kept in the bubbler are tight, unlike the other plant that I moved outside, repotted into coco. I neglected to take a picture of her

The young ladies are still in the process of developing new lateral roots (see root pics) , so not much upper growth to speak of. Coming soon I hope

View attachment 480606 View attachment 480607 View attachment 480608

View attachment 480609 View attachment 480610

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Harvested and trimmed the last big cola yesterday 61 gms + a small amount of tiny branches

That made room to bring the outdoor plant back in as she wasn't recovering. Once I pulled her from the coco, I could see why- no roots outside of the net pot. Hopefully the constant bubbles will revive her enough so I can at least make a decent hash

Today I did the h202 root dunk again

Getting reay to make fresh nutes

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Young ladies seem in a stall, most likely awaiting new roots to develop.

To expedite, I did a complete rez change and clean with h202 prior to adding fresh nutes

Fingers crossed

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I neglected to mention that when I cleaned the rez yesterday, I ran the h2o2 through the system for about 10 minutes, effectively cleaning the pump, filter, mist heads and pvc. That water was dumped then fresh nutes added

I also increased on time to 5 seconds with 6 minute pause, just until I see lots of new root development

This morning I checked ppm. It is only ~ 480 and ph was a touch high (6.8) and the girls are definitely perking up. I lowered ph to 6.2 and will bump pppm to ~ 700

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sometimes I amaze myself with my stupidity :wallbash:

The on time increase was supposed to be seconds, but I manged to input the 5 in the minutes section, soaking the hell out of them

Changed to 5 seconds on an 6 minute pause

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok a recovery comparison of sorts is developing: Can I raise the near dead?

A couple days ago, I moved one plant from the lpa system to the bubble system to see if it would respond quicker. I checked the roots this morning and there are quite a few new shoots (see first pic)

I wanted to see how the lpa compares, but yesterday I noticed I screwed that up by setting the 'on' time to 5 minutes instead of 5 seconds. The lpa heads spray well above the bottom of the net pots, consequently, the roots and coco were soaked to the point that the coco inserts broke which dropped some coco into the roots (black spots). That's not a problem but... this morning the roots are still overly wet so I unplugged the pump for a couple hours to dry a bit. Still, I looked at the roots and saw new roots are shooting (see pic). I also moved one other plant to the bubbler; see roots (last picture)

The plants are thin from the lack of a developed and healthy root system, but should start fattening up now. Obviously they will be a shell of what they should have been

View attachment 481087 View attachment 481088

View attachment 481089 View attachment 481090

View attachment 481091

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now that recovery is obvious, I began backtracking: why now?

I have flushed and cleaned the tote, but DID NOT flush the h2o2 through the pump, pvc, and mist heads, which I did this time for 5-10 minutes

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I check root redevelopment daily. The bubbler is doing great, but not the lpa. Why?

Dialing in LPA O/O times is a PITA :mad:

The idea with LPA is similar to HPA: the roots should never be too wet or too dry: the key is to keep them tacky

Alas the roots are still too wet (which means the root hairs disappeared), so I blotted the roots, and decreased the on time to 3 seconds and off time to 12 minutes.:smoking:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Saw some new roots popping out of the lpa this morning, but IMO the roots are still too wet, so I increased pause to 15 minutes

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dropped 6 Tripleberry Seeds

Dropped 6 Tripleberry Seeds

I am ready to get a new grow going, and was gifted these seeds

I am confident I have a good understanding of what went wrong

Dropped them in water with light mineral salts

Let the games begin