What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So far I have managed to remember to increase night feedings (3 hrs) and remember to return to 1//hour each morning. I'm proud of myself.

Now, that said, I am not seeing any dramatic differences during this stage of bud development, but I bet it rocks in veg, and may still as time passes

Pics

BML SPYDR 600

View attachment 456872 View attachment 456873

Amare SE 250 which is nipping at the 600s heals

View attachment 456874 View attachment 456875

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have not been able to get in contact with SolStrip, so buyer beware

pH pens. Although I calibrate my Milwaukee pH pen regularly, it was reading between 5.7-5.9 depending on which rez, but the slide button to keep it on no longer lockss so I ordered a new pen from Deeronwer on Amazon ~ $15. I ordered it because the Milwaukee window is too small. Well, where the Milwaukee reads 5.7-5.9, after calibration, this one reads the rezes at 5.4- 5.5, which is too low. Raised both to ~ 5.8, will soon see whether this makes a difference

View attachment 457964 View attachment 457965

View attachment 457966 View attachment 457967

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
SolStrip refunded my money today. Said he was out of the country

>

High tech hydro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Oz_Fi6B1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEobQiflfVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Oz_Fi6B1Q

the person who posted replied with a bit more info

https://steemit.com/steemit/@verbz/fantastic-properties-of-nano-bubbles Making nano bubbles that remain in the water for months which super saturates the water with whatever gas you and checked. For purposes of drinking and in taking massive amounts of oxygen which suppresses cancer. For plant growth, cleaning bodies of water, so salt water and freshwater fish can be in the same aquarium tank, to emulsify liquids without a surfactant, and many more benefits.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It appears correcting my pH up from ~ 5.5 to 5.8 is huge. Pistils are browning quickly now

beta

Veteran
It appears correcting my pH up from ~ 5.5 to 5.8 is huge. Pistis are browning quickly now

Both 5.5 and 5.8 are well within the good pH range. Your plants will grow equally well at either pH, and you will not be able to tell a visual difference between plants grown at 5.5 or 5.8.

I start / mix my DTW rez at 5.5 and it's at 6.2 by the end of the week. My plants always look great.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Both 5.5 and 5.8 are well within the good pH range. Your plants will grow equally well at either pH, and you will not be able to tell a visual difference between plants grown at 5.5 or 5.8.

I start / mix my DTW rez at 5.5 and it's at 6.2 by the end of the week. My plants always look great.

I am told by a rather large hydro grower

veg ~ 6.2

flower ~ 5.8

bumping it up from 5.5ish to 5.8 it is obvious in just few days that the pistils are turning red faster

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im glad I never bought a chiler

According to O2grow, no matter what we do conventionally to create more DO, the end result will only be ~ 8%. From my own experience using multiple quality air stones and 4 head high flow air pumps, separate pump in res using venturi, which generates a ton more and considerably smaller bubbles, again, according to them the result is still ~ 8%. And while it seems to work well, what would ~ 50% more and smaller DO bubbles (in this case 'nanobubbles") do?

we know (don't we) that we need to generate those bubbles in dwc/rdwc 24/7. My recent experiment to start seedlings using lpa misting with hpa mist heads (replacing my long used bubbler for seedlings/clones) produced vastly better roots and root hairs

AGAIN, according to O2grow data, supported with agricultural school testing (links on his site) his emitters not only generate 12%+ DO (a ~ 50% increase) it stays in suspension until agitated. So for F & Ders, like myself, I don't have to have a second pump, which has to be on a separate timer or else the nutrient solution heats up in order to reintroduce DO.

The 64K question is: What does a 50% DO increase mean in application?

In my case a 2 emitter system is $300, about the price of a chiller, but I can run two rezes off of it, and unlike chillers it uses very little electricity. They also have a larger system for UCRDWC.

I'm almost finished with this grow, and due to extreme heat and humidity, I won't start another until mid September, but, will try it then.

Should anybody take the plunge, please start a thread

https://www.o2grow.com/store

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do not recall when the second gen of pistils began, looks like around April 2, so they seem to be on track

PPMs rising a lot (> 2 EC), so Im going to remove ~ half the nutes and add back water + some late nutrient mix

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am often criticized for the looks of my grows and lack of Likes/Participation

I am often criticized for the looks of my grows and lack of Likes/Participation

Here's a response I posted elsewhere today:

while you are certainly entitled to your views, it doesn't make them accurate

No doubt you, and several others who seem to get off criticizing my grows, fails to understand is that I am a personal use grower who enjoys experimenting. And there's always a learning curve when you do.

And I appreciate your "why fix it if it ain't broke" attitude. I get that, but if not for people thinking outside the box, we would still be using oxen to plow the fields.

An analogy: I have slept with many gorgeous women, too many laid there, passively, I have also slept with a few shall we say less than gorgeous women. All left me spent. the Moral is: you can't tell a book by its' cover.

beta

Veteran
Nobody would criticize you if you asked for help when you needed it, didn't ignore all of the great advice you get, and most importantly didn't act like a know-it-all.

You are clearly a beginner grower, and that's ok. Don't try to play it off as if you're some kind of master experimenter or whatever.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nobody would criticize you if you asked for help when you needed it, didn't ignore all of the great advice you get, and most importantly didn't act like a know-it-all.

You are clearly a beginner grower, and that's ok. Don't try to play it off as if you're some kind of master experimenter or whatever.

Actually, I'v been growing 2 crops a year for 5+ years. F & D, HPA, even fog

As I said, I like to experiment. When people try to give me advice when they don't think outside the box, I tend to get pissy. Plants don't need to look like cover girls to still provide excellent medicine

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi PetFlora. Did your plants have a timer failure during flowering? They look like they started going back to leaf and then started flowering again?

Were you to read through this thread you would see that when I moved them from seedling stage tent into grow/flower tent I neglected to return the timer to 18/6. Within a couple weeks I had pistils. Once I figured it out, yes, I returned them to veg, but the leafs never went beyond single blade