What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Had to put down my best friend today

Leeroy&Co:

Sorry to hear that man. It's tough.

My dog is pretty important to me, Hard to lose anything you love. Never gets any easier. I had to put down 1 of 2 dogs i have. One of the hardest things i had to do. Doesnt matter how you lose them,hard just the same. Sorry mate. :joint:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
We lost our girl a couple weeks ago. She went suddenly. She went from being healthy and vibrant to invalid within a week. I gotta admit, its been tough.
I hear her sometimes even though she is gone. A scratch on the door, a tail thump. The house feels empty without her here. I honestly dont want another dog for a while. I dont think I want to go through the loss again.
After she passed, I went through the house and got rid of her things. Chewies, bowls , extra food. I vacuumed the house to get rid of the last few hairs . Kind of a cleansing act on my part. But yesterday while cleaning the yard I found several of her outdoor toys scattered here and there. Just when I was feeling better, the toys brought back the pain of losing her like a knife in the chest.
Ive lost a lot of friends and relatives over the years and Ive been able to cope with those losses far easier than the loss of our dog.
I miss her.She really was my best friend.

F

fizzbomb

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

tanne

What a beautie. i love mastiffs. deepest sympathie to you. my heart hurts just from thinking about the upcoming death of my dog. at least we know they had a good life, right? loyal souls...

Realizing this is probably 6 wks out , but i'm sorry for your girl. I had to put my german shepard down 18 months ago due to kidney failure... she was only 6 years old. I still can't look at her photos. your girl was a beauty, but I beleive we see 'em again in the next life.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Thanks sooo much for all the post of support, caring, and sharing stories of your own. I really do appreciate it more than you know.
It still hurts. But it gets better by the day. Still see her wandering around the bush she did her business behind. Still taking a extra large step off the bed to step over her, lol..She slept on my side of the bed for the past 9 1/2 years so old habits are hard to break.
Got a new pup last month. Got a 4 1/2 month old Cane Corso. Got her in training for obedience and depending on how she progresses on into protection training but only if she can handle it..
OMG I totally forgot how much energy a pup has. She gets worked every morning for an hour and that wears us both out, hehe
Once again, thank you guys so much.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
best of luck w/the new pup there ryder, my back can't compete w/the energy of a puppy, any dogs I get from here out will be young adults.