What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

H3ad goes Coco

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
I adjusted my formula to lower nitrogen by using cal-mag i am using 2/9 per gallon and 8 ml of cal-mag. Dont know the exact ppm numbers but they seem to enjoy it and i effectively lowered the nitrogen without lowering cal-mag(actually raised it). I was getting alot of clawing on 2 of my girls and this seems to be helping out.

What do you think about this head? oh and do you go 6/9 all the way till flush?

I am sorta doing something similar. My plants are already in full bloom showing strong trichromes, i backed off on the Micro, kept Bloom the same, and add a dash of Dutchmaster Flower, my exact formula is probably around 3/9 plus about 10ml of DM per 4 gallons of solution.

Mr.Bitti

I am sorta doing something similar. My plants are already in full bloom showing strong trichromes, i backed off on the Micro, kept Bloom the same, and add a dash of Dutchmaster Flower, my exact formula is probably around 3/9 plus about 10ml of DM per 4 gallons of solution.

i would use a bit more micro if your strain is a heavy feeder. I had 4 girls from seed so 2 of each reacted differently and had to switch formulas midway to get more calcium to 2 of my girls. Just 2 days ago i found out that my more sativa pheno went back into veg. she was getting fed too much nitrogen and 2 weeks after i lowered her nitrogen she went into veg agaiun at week 8 of flower. Weird but i would expect it from a sativa getting way more nitrogen than she needed. Anyway i dumped the micro and added minimal cal-mag with bloom to try to bring her back into flowering. I hope she kicks back within a week and then i can apply gravity a week later. Im ranting its just im kinda sad that i might have to make her into hash if she doesnt react to the low nitrogen.

Sweet Inc.

Makes me wanna change my Canna to GH... really... Awsumm stuff, hail the H3ad!
I'll be stealing my bro's Micro&Bloom on the next run...
How about some more ellaboration on the GH euro-nutes and ratios, anybody?

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
More ph issues with coco than peat? amazing... my experience has been quite the opposite... The coco affects the pH of my nute solution none at all, or very minutely at most...

I totally agree with Head I had the same problems, I thought using Black Gold Coco Blend was going to give me the same kind of results that I got with Ready Gro but the BGCB is 60% peat moss which caused me problems.. I know am using Roots Organics Coco Fiber mix with Flora Nova Grow and Bloom using a Lucas Formula which I may mess with a bit for coco anybody else using FN with coco??? Head what would you suggest for my feeding with FN in coco? So far things look good cuz I don't have a PH kit for the moment and don't know what my tap water is at. I've been giving em 5ml of Grow per gal for veg and 5ml Bloom for flower would I need to lower that since coco requires a lower PK??

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Ok Head so I've switched over to coco completely finally and went with Roots Organics Coco Fiber Soilless Media and I've been using Flora Nova Grow and Bloom with my soil grows but I know you modified the Lucas Micro and Bloom mix for coco. With that said I haven't been able to try your method and I just started my first row of girls in coco in my flower cab. I picked up some Cutting Edge Solutions 3 part Micro 6-0-0 Bloom 0-6-5 Grow 2-1-6 and I also got their Plant Amp, Uncle Johns Blend 0-0-2 and Mag Amp so I was wondering what you think? Any advice on what rate to apply

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i would use a bit more micro if your strain is a heavy feeder. I had 4 girls from seed so 2 of each reacted differently and had to switch formulas midway to get more calcium to 2 of my girls. Just 2 days ago i found out that my more sativa pheno went back into veg. she was getting fed too much nitrogen and 2 weeks after i lowered her nitrogen she went into veg agaiun at week 8 of flower. Weird but i would expect it from a sativa getting way more nitrogen than she needed. Anyway i dumped the micro and added minimal cal-mag with bloom to try to bring her back into flowering. I hope she kicks back within a week and then i can apply gravity a week later. Im ranting its just im kinda sad that i might have to make her into hash if she doesnt react to the low nitrogen.

Yea i am having lots of nitrogen problems with my second batch.
grapeapefoxtaiils.jpg

look at the overdose on this plant! im only using 3/6 right now. i have been flushing for three days with clearex, then im gonna try and re-fert her. theres also a chance shes a hermie so i will have to chop her.

bens lab

I was just wondering guys, can I use advance nutes micro & bloom instead? they seem to be the same (micro 5-0-1) + (bloom 0-5-4).

It would be easier since im in the uk and the ghe is supposedly different.

thanks

edit:im sure somewhere i read you could swap GH for AN with no probs in the lucas formula, so i went ahead and tried it, will report back if they drop dead. :D

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I was just wondering guys, can I use advance nutes micro & bloom instead? they seem to be the same (micro 5-0-1) + (bloom 0-5-4).

It would be easier since im in the uk and the ghe is supposedly different.

thanks

I'm trying to find out the same thing about Cutting Edge Solutions Micro 6-0-0 and Bloom 0-6-5 :joint: any help would be GREATLY appreciated Head :1help:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Well i started using the nute profile above at half strength and i love it so far. Before this i was using FNG and my plants have looked all fucked up since they sprouted. Well last night i gave them a feeding of head formula and the girls instantly perked up, now 12 hours later most the plants are starting to look very healthy. Can't thank u enough for your formula head, it saved my grow and my sanity lol

I've found that my modified Lucas Flora Nova Formula is working great in my coco perlite mix. I run 4-5ml of Grow for veg and the first 2 weeks of flower and then switch to 5ml of Bloom till the last week of flower and it's flush time and they LOVE IT!! I the 8ml of Bloom is just too much for coco and 5ml works wonderfully and saves a lot on nutes for me :woohoo:
picture.php

here's my Thunder Goos 8days into flower fed 5ml of FN Grow and are a perfect green!!! :joint:

Mr.Bitti

looking very nice thundo, yea coco needs slightly less ferts than hydro. i would think they love 5ml a gal

if you guys are gonna go for something different than gh then just buy coco specific nutes. i dont see a point in buying something new for a purpose thats not exactly what its for. If you already have gh thats great and its also cheap. but for a small increase in cost you can get a coco specific nute that takes into account the pk of the medium. just saying if you gonna buy something new you should def get coco specific H&G or Canna

dr-dank

I have read this thread several times, and found the general approach to work quite well for me.

Thanks for the great info.

I do have a few clarifications I would like.

1. H3ead, do you water with the 6/9 solution each time, or do you do a 2 feed 1 plain water type deal?

2. Do you water everyday?

3. What ph do you feed at?

I was using drippers in a recirc, then went to drain to waste. When home I hand water, and normally do so once per day with about 20% runoff.

I veg for about 2 weeks, and then flower in 3/4 G pots under a 600. I sometimes find that when I harvest some of the plants have soggy wet areas in the coco and have poort root structure, while others seems to have fully rooted.

I also read in the "ask Lucas" thread where he does beleive you can overwater coco.

My theory is that 1 x a day is too often for the new plants I rotate in, but about right for the ones farther along. My new approach is to try and hand-water the new plants every other day to help promote root growth.

I tend to ph to 5.9, but some recent posting from 10K and hydrosoil makes me want to try 5.2.

Regards

PS> I am stepping away for a few days but look forward to any updates upon my return.

Thanks all

Lil Miss Tricky

Hello,
My hubby and I have been reading through your thread here and there are some really nice photos. We have been growing in hydro for quite some time and have decided to return to the perver mixture. We were also batting around the idea of using coco. Anyway my point here is that we are also a couple growing and we have really nice pics of our crops also. His forum name is Outame. Feel free to check out his gallery and maybe we can communicate here. Later.

C

Cozy Amnesia

H3ad,

I've been using your formula for coco for a while now and I find that it works great - except I'm getting Mg deficiencies. Here's a pic of my baby clone that just rooted a few days ago in coco:

bug001.jpg

That's Mg deficiency, right?

Here's what my last harvest looked like, some ofthe leaves are nearly white!

bud004.jpg

I was adding a teaspoon of epsom salts to 2 gallons of water. Should I add more this time?

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Epsom salt is bad in Coir from what Ive read. Just keep a bottle of calmag or magical on hand. Blackstrap mollasses too works if not over watered. Iv found that what you have is lock out of N from too much PK. BUT Im sure the Esalts is the culprate here.

You could all a feeding of Just Micro at a 9ml/g to boost N and micros.
If Im wrong correct me and Ill edit post.

NO additives to this formula. I tried to do a touch of bloombastic and it FUCKED up everone that had some! all the rest were fine. Coir is a balance act. Keep PK low and consistent.

C

Cozy Amnesia

I added some epsom salt (I know you guys just said not to...) and I think it fixed the problem. All the top leaves are looking great.

picture.php

Can you tell me why cal-mag is better? Head says to add epsom salts, not cal-mag. An excess of Ca will cause an imbalance in Mg...:confused:

afroman25

Hiya H3ad,
This thread is such an inspiration. I'm on my first coco grow using your formula a few things I've noticed a lot of people complaining about ca/ma issues with the formula. I believe there is enough ca & ma in this mixture if your having these issues its usually a pH or water problem(ie tap with too much trace elements) but that's just what I've noticed from using this recipe. I have noticed something I've never noticed in my soil plants when i water the main stem becomes very bendy. Is this normal in coco? has anyone else experienced this? I don't water everyday. I water usually every other day I like to water while the coco is still moist but not wet. what is causing my stem to be so flimsy after watering?

hey head just a quick question i been watering in three gallon pure coco pots everythree days ....id say giving them about a gallon each...am i not watering enough my friend is doing double that......your thoughts