What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"gun violence"

armedoldhippy

Veteran
If school kids were able to carry shotguns the story would be quite different and not in a good way. It would mean restrictions were lifted on firearms and virtually anyone could have one which would just make the problems we face now many times worse then it already is. There are actually two good points to the story if you saw the video rather then learn about it online here by reading a post. Point one, assault rifles are more and more prevalent to the point that these criminals had them by stealing them from someone else which means that changing the current laws would not prevent this crime. Point two, there is some validity to the concept of a good citizen with a gun. I bet the victim of the store owner (the criminal) will think twice before trying to commit that crime again, if he ever makes it out of prison for his current failed attempt.
when i was in high school, we frequently had guns in our cars, ready to go hunting after school. toted a black powder rifle into school one day for shop teacher to help me with a problem. passed principal on way to class. he asked "is that thing loaded?" i assured him it was not & kept going. school kids CAN have shotguns, except on certain managed hunts on state or federal lands where an adult has to be in position to take control of the firearm immediately. if you meant "carry them into school" then that is a big "nope'...LOL! i'm not even sure that the rifle Bozo the Clown had in the video was real. it didn't look like anything i've seen in gun stores... lots of variations on the market these days though.

h.h.

Veteran
If school kids were able to carry shotguns the story would be quite different and not in a good way. It would mean restrictions were lifted on firearms and virtually anyone could have one which would just make the problems we face now many times worse then it already is. There are actually two good points to the story if you saw the video rather then learn about it online here by reading a post. Point one, assault rifles are more and more prevalent to the point that these criminals had them by stealing them from someone else which means that changing the current laws would not prevent this crime. Point two, there is some validity to the concept of a good citizen with a gun. I bet the victim of the store owner (the criminal) will think twice before trying to commit that crime again, if he ever makes it out of prison for his current failed attempt.
Fewer rifles means fewer to steal. It’s a great business to sell protection to your customers from the stolen guns that you’ve also produced.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Fewer rifles means fewer to steal. It’s a great business to sell protection to your customers from the stolen guns that you’ve also produced.
Actually it would just mean fewer new options of rifles to steal since there are no plans on taking legally purchased firearms off the streets. So however many rifles are represented in the over 400 million legal guns out there in the United States all of them would steal be potential candidates for being stolen. At best they could maybe get an assault rifle ban in place like they did back in the 90's but that just means no new options for gun theft. Since however the current situation allows enough opportunities for the story we're discussing to have taken place it's a moot point.

HempKat

Veteran
when i was in high school, we frequently had guns in our cars, ready to go hunting after school. toted a black powder rifle into school one day for shop teacher to help me with a problem. passed principal on way to class. he asked "is that thing loaded?" i assured him it was not & kept going. school kids CAN have shotguns, except on certain managed hunts on state or federal lands where an adult has to be in position to take control of the firearm immediately. if you meant "carry them into school" then that is a big "nope'...LOL! i'm not even sure that the rifle Bozo the Clown had in the video was real. it didn't look like anything i've seen in gun stores... lots of variations on the market these days though.
Yeah I meant carry them into school and just generally going from class to class holding a shotgun since that's what the hypothetical h. h. proposed would seem to suggest. I would also point out though that when you were in High School that predate Columbine and pretty much all school shootings and it was a very different time. I kind of doubt your experience would be allowed today. Things have gone so far the other way now that I remember a few years ago some 10 year old kid got suspended from school for just pointing his hand like it was a gun.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"hypothetical" that HH proposed. say no more, got it. :tiphat: the experience...i'm glad to have gotten in under the wire before "helicopter parenting" etc . not actually, you know, raised by wolves, but def feral at best. was taught gun safety & handling at 6 or 7...by parents, grandparents, uncles, lol. go visit one grandmother, borrow a gun and shells and hunt your way over to the other grandmas house. anyone saw a kid back then carrying a shotgun and walking across the fields would point out where they flushed a covey of quail the day before, lol. now, there'd be a SWAT team deployed to neutralize the threat... sadly, that is probably a prudent choice these days. :shucks:

HempKat

Veteran
"hypothetical" that HH proposed. say no more, got it. :tiphat: the experience...i'm glad to have gotten in under the wire before "helicopter parenting" etc . not actually, you know, raised by wolves, but def feral at best. was taught gun safety & handling at 6 or 7...by parents, grandparents, uncles, lol. go visit one grandmother, borrow a gun and shells and hunt your way over to the other grandmas house. anyone saw a kid back then carrying a shotgun and walking across the fields would point out where they flushed a covey of quail the day before, lol. now, there'd be a SWAT team deployed to neutralize the threat... sadly, that is probably a prudent choice these days. :shucks:
The funny thing about it, of the gun owners I 've met that grew up in similar times as you with similar experiences as you by far the majority of them now are responsible gun owners. Sure they get riled up just like you when anyone suggests any changes to the 2nd amendment or useless gun laws that punish the responsible gun owner more then the criminals. Outside of that though most of them obey all gun laws and are in no way a threat to society. Also most of them recognize there are times where even though technically they can parade around pretty much armed to the teeth and have it on full display they can recognize there are some situations where doing that even though lawful is unnecessary and should probably be avoided in order to not stir up tensions. To put it a different way they wouldn't go to a public library to protest a book reading being conducted by someone they disapprove of with an assault rifle hanging off their chest.

St. Phatty

When we were kids and feeling mischievous, we threw rotten tomatoes at cars.

Once my older brother put a BB through a neighbor's living room window - accidentally. He got in BIG TROUBLE.

And there was the time we blew up a neighbor's mailbox because their German Shepherd bit our Airedale.

My older brother organized most of this Trouble.

Then he became a Fortune 500 CEO.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
just when you think you've got everyone's attention on the "gun problem", someone upsets the apple cart. :biggrin: a smoke/vape shop owner in Las Vegas stabbed a masked robbery suspect when he leaped over the counter. don't know Vegas' gun laws....:shucks:

St. Phatty

just when you think you've got everyone's attention on the "gun problem", someone upsets the apple cart. :biggrin: a smoke/vape shop owner in Las Vegas stabbed a masked robbery suspect when he leaped over the counter. don't know Vegas' gun laws....:shucks:

Oh where is the store owner who rigs up a chamber the size of a phone booth, then drops that over the robbery suspect ?

Then vapes the f*ck out of them - and films it.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Oh where is the store owner who rigs up a chamber the size of a phone booth, then drops that over the robbery suspect ?

Then vapes the f*ck out of them - and films it.
i enjoyed Wile E. Coyote & the Roadrunner & Bugs Bunny as a kid too, but realized early on that nothing on it was remotely possible.

HempKat

Veteran
As soon as I saw that video I came here, knowing that it was going to be mentioned. For what it's worth I totally support the actions of the store owner, he gave the thieves a chance to get away with a little bit of nothing but as soon as the one thief saw the store owner wasn't coming after him he came back for more and when the store owner tried to stop that the other guy jumped the counter and quickly got exactly what he deserved. The thing I found most shocking in the report I saw was they also included the advice of a "security Expert" who basically said if they're just taking stuff let them, stuff can be replaced but lives can't. What the Security Expert doesn't consider though in businesses like these, especially ones that sell legalized marijuana, is stuff can't just be replaced because other institutions like banks and insurance companies don't want to work with "those" businesses for fear of running afoul with the Fed's. For anyone who doesn't know what me and armedoldhippy are talking about, below is the video.

St. Phatty

For the most part, it is the US government that has a problem with Gun Violence - and Bomb Violence.

And, of course, PissraHell.

One has to wonder - if the US closed 90% of their 800 military bases, would that have an effect on Gun Violence ?

Is America's militarized culture related to their Death Star/ Sith Lord military ?

audiohi

Veteran
3js78zfjkcg91.jpg

St. Phatty

In 2014/15, there was a middle aged woman in Grants Pass Oregon who made the mistake of telling her mother that she was having suicidal thoughts, and that she had a gun.

She then drove to downtown Grants Pass to chill out. BIG MISTAKE.

They called out the SWAT team on her. They spent 2 hours surrounding her.

They Tased her, AND they pepper-sprayed her.

To make us all safer ! And it created about 60 man hours worth of work.

This Dark Comedy un-folded on a Saturday in the G Street area.

In March 2012, Jim Hamilton, the SWAT team leader, pulled me over at 4 PM on a weekday for these Official Reasons -
* my windshield wipers were on - and it was raining.
* I signalled a Left turn 100 yards before I turned.

Those were actually the reasons cited.

Hamilton spent about 40 minutes trying to give me a ticket. Major, major fishing expedition.

it was the end of the month. They have a very aggressive car impound program, and I was driving a Mercedes diesel.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I saw the video.. Good on him.. More people need to fight back. Fuck these crooks. Our laws need to change so we can defend our stores using deadly violence. I don't see any laws changing to prevent people from owning guns. People should except guns aren't going anywhere. So what's left to make any crooks think twice? If a crook uses a gun commenting crime the punishment should be severe!!!!. How many would be willing to risk 25 years for using a gun in a crime?. I don't know what the laws are now. I don't see any other option left that would make a noticeable change..

armedoldhippy

Veteran
it used to be that having a firearm was 5 years, straight up, if you were a felon. then, someone decided "let's make it 10 years" problem being that now it is not mandatory day for day ten years. it frequently gets cut to 5 (or less) because keeping folks in jail is expensive. there have been instances where someone committing a serious crime decides to shoot any witnesses hoping to keep from being caught. "dead men tell no tales" it is a situation without a good solution short of LEO catching them in the act and killing them while resisting arrest, or the victim kills them in self defense...