What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guess my (pot-ential) yield! :D

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Here's some pics of a grow cab I built from 2x3's, black and white poly, and a single piece of scrape plywood. It was about 2 feet wide, 18 inches deep, and 5 feet tall. The SSH x SSSDH testers were the first plants I ever flowered in the cab.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The third pic is the plants from the first two pics. Just wanted ya to see the potential that you have with your space. Obviously my cab was a little taller than yours, but you get the point. Great things can come from small spaces. That first harvest of the SSH x SSSDH testers came in at just under 6 oz.'s!!!!! All from a little box that would fit in the corner of almost any room!!

Jonnysact

Very nice!

I'm hoping you are all right. Even if I only get half of an ounce I should be more than covered until the next batch is ready!

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Very nice!

I'm hoping you are all right. Even if I only get half of an ounce I should be more than covered until the next batch is ready!

Thanks man!! Keep asking questions. I have learned so much in the 3 yrs I have been on this site(used to have a different handle). Your already doing a great job, and it's just gonna keep getting better!!

jgrow

Cut all foliage that is more then 4" from the light. Those bulbs have literally 2-4" of penetration anything below that is going to be a waste and will dramatically reduce the yield of everything in the 2-4" zone. If you can throw in 2 more cfls and another small computer fan blowing across the top of the canopy you could get your self 28 grams of solid bud.

My first grow with 12 26 watt cfls yielded 42 grams because I did not trim the lower branches and foliage and because it was my first grow back in 2008

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I got 3/4 of an ounce of high-grade out of a very similar CFL garden I did last year. Mine was 4 x 23w CFLs, so slightly less wattage than yours. I did a very lazy SCROG on it. This was the end result right here:

v3c5JEL.jpg

Ml9s7Kj.jpg

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
bc big dud...no matter how much you get it will be sub par smoke...I wont touch anything with big bud in it...lame strain ...yeehaw

Jonnysact

Hey stoned, I hear ya. I'm not really as much of a connoisseur as most members here but this is the seed I had access to when I started. Growing some White Widdow now as this baby finishes her last few weeks in flowering.

Update pictures! This is day 18 of flowering. Keep the guesses coming, it's fun to check back and see what you all think!

JLzuUIg.jpg

zUIz7z5.jpg

BS9tXdA.jpg

MOrW3UH.jpg

Jonnysact

Todays pics! They are changing every day! So incredible. Based on how these are growing, I'm going to guess 25-28 grams :D

FBqWcdb.png

UAPmGKP.png

GlGffCm.png

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Do yourself a favor and trim everything that is below the screen. It will never amount to anything but larf, and unless you plan on making oil, you don't want that. Looking good. I'm guessing you'll safely get about 20 grams or so.

orev

i'm with hush on this one... trim everyting that is below the screen.

looks good, keep up the good work.

Hi, jdubsky & the community!

No updates so far? How are things going?

Great job and a nice setup! Have been watching your report for a while and ought to say that it's really interesting and well done!
I'm constructing a box with a similar light set (4x30w on the top + 2x20w on the sides in a pc case) and I'm really into your report to see how you're performing the grow and what kind of result would be. I do hope you'll pull out of it 20+gr of high quality dried and cured buds + about 10gr of dry stuff of lower quality.

What are your growing chamber internal dimensions (W, L and Height from the bottom to the lamps)?

Why don’t you cover the vents with a grill? A plant’s leaves or smth else can accidentally get into it and cause a damage or vent stop.
Why are you keeping 2 “cold “ lamps in a set with 2 warm lamps during the bloom period?

Wish you good luck!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
If noting goes wrong, you don't trim too much, and chosen fertilizer program 40-55 grams is well within the realm of possibility. Although, I didn't read everything so this guess is without knowing strain or size of pot both of which definitely has an impact on yield. Could be low as 20, but that would be terrible GPW ratio. Even 30 isn't great assuming those are 20-28w bulbs

With these spiral-style CFL bulbs, it's virtually impossible to get typical gpw results. Half of the light is being reflected upward, away from the plants, and then of that remaining half, much of that light is being trapped inside the spiral. So really when someone gets .5 gpw from a spiral-style CFL garden, they are kicking ass. That said, I expect that somewhere around .25 gpw is the most probable yield, or somewhere around an ounce.

I don't even think Blynx gets more than .5 gpw and he is the reigning CFL king (as far as I can tell, anyway).

Jonnysact

Hi, jdubsky & the community!

No updates so far? How are things going?

Great job and a nice setup! Have been watching your report for a while and ought to say that it's really interesting and well done!
I'm constructing a box with a similar light set (4x30w on the top + 2x20w on the sides in a pc case) and I'm really into your report to see how you're performing the grow and what kind of result would be. I do hope you'll pull out of it 20+gr of high quality dried and cured buds + about 10gr of dry stuff of lower quality.

What are your growing chamber internal dimensions (W, L and Height from the bottom to the lamps)?

Why don’t you cover the vents with a grill? A plant’s leaves or smth else can accidentally get into it and cause a damage or vent stop.
Why are you keeping 2 “cold “ lamps in a set with 2 warm lamps during the bloom period?

Wish you good luck!

Oh my I've left this alone too long. So sorry!

Firstly, I'm really having a difficult time with heat. I have to leave my case cracked open all day with a fan blowing inside to cool things down enough. Just make sure you haev a TON of air moving around if you plan on having more than 4 bulbs.

The dimensions of the case are

24" tall, 18" long and 9" deep.

2 computer fans running off of a 12v power supply to get the full speed.

For the mixed lighting, I read that providing a more full spectrum of light is beneficial for grow. So I decided to mix daylight and tungsten. Really makes sense too. I'm a director of photography and understanding how light in the sky works very well, makes no sense to run 2700 all day long without anything in the daylight spectrum.

Yeah, the leaves do get a little chop from time to time by the fans, but no biggie really. Luckily this strain isn't very smelly at all, so I didn't have to install my carbon filter, but once that happens, I'll be restricting even more airflow so things will heat up once again.

The case closed, temps get to 89 - 90 at the top of the canopy.
The bottom of the case rests at 80. When I crack the door open during the day and blow a fan into the case, I can get temps at 77 at the bottom and 80 up top. Really wish I had more fans installed or a seperate fan system to cool the lights. But money was a factor in building this so... Yeah. I'll have to suffer the consequences of higher temperatures in my yield.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
That's looking really awesome jdub-a. Is noise an issue for you? I ask because of your heat problem. They sell little inline booster fan's at home depot/lowes that come in 4", 6", and 8" models. The little 4" inch ones would be perfect for your set-up. The pics I posted earlier in this thread. That box was cooled with one of the 6" fans I mentioned, and I was pushing air thru a carbon filter. Temps never got above 82f.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your cab is similar to the CFL scrog cab I run. I vent out through a single 4" hole in the top of the cab using a single 4" inline booster fan. The fan really isn't powerful enough to run a scrubber with, but it more keeps the cab nice and cool.

Hush is 100% right with the CFL only getting light from 1/2 the bulb. Should try running them vertically :)

But any way I'm saying 24.7 grams :)