What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guerilla Underground Thread

militia420

Any of you guys have experience drying outdoors?

I've been thinking that transporting fresh harvest is both a very delicate and risky endeavor. I've done it before with food-grade 5 gallon buckets filled with buds and ice packs, but that seems overly sketchy.

What I'm thinking about doing instead is stringing buds up in the trees to pre-dry for a few days. Then come back and pack them up in either big jars or turkey bags and haul them out in my pack. I figure that's the least sketchy way, and I'll be able to make less tricks with the buds pre-dryed.

It also helps with smell concerns, both in terms of fresh, wet bud and the clothes worn while chopping aren't part of the equation.

What do you guys think?

Never dried outdoors but there is usually a 2-3 day period where things stink the worst at the beginning, so if you can get 2 to 3 days in you should be able to drop the stink with the least risk of problems with drying outside. Honestly, to avoid detection what I usually tried to do was harvest either during the least busy traffic time of day so you can make a straight shot to your place, or harvest it past 10pm so people are less likely to see you out and there's less cars on the road again. You can always buy cigarettes or a cigar and have one ready to blaze in case you get stopped. It'll stink so much it should help some, but then again, the goal is to not get stopped.

Personally if you want to try drying outside and you've never done it before, I'd pick a few plants that you would be okay with having problems with, and experiment by trying to partially dry them. Stick to your normal routine for the rest. That way you get an answer to your question with first hand experience to know if it's a reasonable thing in the future.

'Boogieman'

Hey there Boogie have you ran the Bangi outdoors before? I have these Bangi three weeks from seed hoping to put out on the 15th. This is my second attempt and I have some twisted leaves and one looks a little yellow I plan to give them some fish hydro this weekend and I hope that helps.

Sorry buddy its my first year with the bangi haze too.

militia420

FYI, the publisher of this 'research' (IntechOpen) is notorious for pay to play / predatory publishing. They are not peer reviewed, they will publish anything anyone pays them to. They are not a reliable source of scientific information.

If the research is legit, it will be in a legit peer-reviewed journal, not a shady pay to play trying to look like legitimate research.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...g-about-shoddy-science-from-government-expert

Unfortunately, pretty much all "peer" reviewed journals have the potential for abuse of authority. It doesn't matter if it's a big name or not. Humans are the weak link. Peer review is incestuous and if you've worked within research or published and are honest, then you would know this.

There's so many of us though that it is entirely within our means to do our own basic experiments. As long as one does basic controls one can make generalizations about observations and others can try to repeat the process here. Nothing difficult or expensive about it. In this case if one uses the same clones and has one group that doesn't get magnet treatment and another that does, then one can publish the pictures and observations for others. I think it's pretty well established that applying certain electrical fields to soil increases growth activity. I have doubts about magnetism though. The emf could be expected though with the fact that all nutrient/root interactions have some emf component driving them.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Unfortunately, pretty much all "peer" reviewed journals have the potential for abuse of authority. It doesn't matter if it's a big name or not. Humans are the weak link. Peer review is incestuous and if you've worked within research or published and are honest, then you would know this.

There's so many of us though that it is entirely within our means to do our own basic experiments. As long as one does basic controls one can make generalizations about observations and others can try to repeat the process here. Nothing difficult or expensive about it. In this case if one uses the same clones and has one group that doesn't get magnet treatment and another that does, then one can publish the pictures and observations for others. I think it's pretty well established that applying certain electrical fields to soil increases growth activity. I have doubts about magnetism though. The emf could be expected though with the fact that all nutrient/root interactions have some emf component driving them.
That was just one paper. There is a lot of valid peer reviweed research on it.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Pre-drying for the first few days outdoors is fine, but you need to do it under a tarp that you set up between trees...

Even if it's not going to rain, you gotta keep the early morning dew off of your freshly cut branches of buds!

If you live in Arizona or New Mexico, where the humidity is around 10%, you probably don't need to listen to this advice..

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Is anyone running any Kc gear this year. Here is a picture of TNR and Brains choice I am growing this year. Both look like they share genetics. about 80% sativa I think, maybe more. Have had the TNR finsh 1st-2nd week October. Hope everyone has a great grow season.
TNR
picture.php

Brains choice
picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Pre-drying for the first few days outdoors is fine, but you need to do it under a tarp that you set up between trees...

Even if it's not going to rain, you gotta keep the early morning dew off of your freshly cut branches of buds!

If you live in Arizona or New Mexico, where the humidity is around 10%, you probably don't need to listen to this advice..

I'm trying it with a few, but I'm nervous about it. It's 100% humidity 24/7 at harvest time over here.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Is anyone running any Kc gear this year. Here is a picture of TNR and Brains choice I am growing this year. Both look like they share genetics. about 80% sativa I think, maybe more. Have had the TNR finsh 1st-2nd week October. Hope everyone has a great grow season.
TNR
View Image

Brains choice
View Image

God damn Bio. Did you have a landscape architect make that spot for you? That is postcard perfect. Very well done.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Been growing in this spot for 15 yrs. this spot has seen at least a hundred different strains. Just thought I would show you guys what I think would do good in an area that isn't to rainy and wet in October. Crossed tnr with ruderalis and it turns out lots of buds as early as august on some. Have some erdpurt trichinensis that I will dust a few plants with. Here is a picture of Leda Uno. I am shitcanning her, I think, as I don't think it will finish in time.

picture.php

militia420

I've seen that and it's absolutely a big issue. But A little searching will show that there have been many papers on it.

I'll do a side by side journal on a couple strains. If it pans out, awesome. If not, no harm done.

There we go! I'd trust people on here in a heart beat. I'm not going to assume every one on here has a research background. I do.

If you are going to try this with a few strains what you need to do is pick a single plant from each strain, clone them. Then you use the clones for the experiment by having an equal number of clones for each strain that are "controls" and you do the normal thing with them. And the other half of the various strain clones are your treatment plants that you do the normal stuff plus the magnetic field.

When it comes to comparing results you should only be comparing within clones. So it's strain A controls (plants 1-5) versus strain A treatment (plants 6-10), and strain B controls (plants 1-5) versus strain B treatment (plants 6-10, etc. You could compare across strains to see if certain strains are more influenced by the field than others but you really need to check within strain, by clone first. The cloning eliminates any variation within the strain so you can make strong comparisons.

Any way, putting that out there to make sure every one interested knows and understands how to do this in case they want to themselves.

What I wouldn't give to be running a research operation on this stuff. Growing out on a massive scale is a dream for some. It would be awesome to grow on a scale where you could search for specific traits and isolate them, but doing this kind of research would be even more awesome as you would get to work on figuring out the absolute optimal conditions for growing plants and what might be optimal for sativas might be a bit differnt from indicas, etc.

Keep us posted man.

militia420

I have been wanting to ask someone how the original true clone only GG#4 does outdoors. I have 3 HUGE glue mommas also 2 Corey's and 2 Headbangers.

Also, I have great news, something I have been looking forward to for a long time. A buddy over on RIU is sending me 18 Sugar Punch seeds since they are extinct now days. Was and always has been in the top 5 BEST outdoor plants I have ever ran in my life. It's like SSH on steroids and has that grape berry skunk haze scent, rock hard purple hued nugs and as potent as a man can stand... SSH and it's children of variants does excellent outdoors in KY at production and mold resistance. Love SSH crosses.

This Gorilla Glue sounds pretty interesting. Are there any projects going by anyone with clones having the goal of backcrossing to get some seeds to avoid extinction and to spread it out there?

I plan on doing that with C99 I got. I need to check my records by I think I crossed my original C99 3 or 4 times to get to the last batch of seeds I have, which I have terrible germination rates with because they are old and weren't refrigerated. I got about 4 to start growing out of 1000 started and only 1 lived. It was a female and I was going to try to back cross to her but mites and living in the hawaii jungle environment and health issues caused me to lose her, but not before I crossed her with a Peak's C99. I've got several growing out right now that I plan on back crossing. And I think I may try popping more of my older c99 (they're from like a 2009 c99xc99 cross).

The SSH sounds like a forebear of the SSSDH IX that I got as a freebie from an order in 2016. I managed to collect pollen from 2 males and have it frozen right now. I lost the female (out of 3 free seeds got 2 male 1 female SCORE!) when I lost the C99 but I also made sure to get half breed seeds from her.

Holy shit. I was mid-sentence typing. Got a call. Got distracted. Went for a bite to eat. Opened the fridge door and a fucking 7 inch centipede chomped down on my god damned 4th digit from my toe. That was 2.5 hours ago. I want to finish this thing on the SSH and SSSDH IX (Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze if I recall correctly), I'll post again when the pain is down and I remember. Can you tell me if these are related breeds? Can't remember what else I was gonna say except I love the smell and taste of the SSSDH IX. It grew well in the Fern Forest region of Hawaii on the big island. It's total head stash. I wish I had some right now. All I have is butters. The smell is in the category of delicious and mouth watering like c99 is for me.

Going back to reading. I'm so scattered now from pain.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
TNR
View Image

Brains choice
View Image

Hey man as you know I got 4 KC Brains Cristal Limit fems.....they are 2wksish from seed. Just done my 1st transplant and In a few wks they'll go into there permanent home 30gal containers !!!! I hope mine looks half good as yours....Bio is the KC King around here. I got a few pics but I'll take some more in a day or so when they get a lil bigger:tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
There we go! I'd trust people on here in a heart beat. I'm not going to assume every one on here has a research background. I do.

If you are going to try this with a few strains what you need to do is pick a single plant from each strain, clone them. Then you use the clones for the experiment by having an equal number of clones for each strain that are "controls" and you do the normal thing with them. And the other half of the various strain clones are your treatment plants that you do the normal stuff plus the magnetic field.

When it comes to comparing results you should only be comparing within clones. So it's strain A controls (plants 1-5) versus strain A treatment (plants 6-10), and strain B controls (plants 1-5) versus strain B treatment (plants 6-10, etc. You could compare across strains to see if certain strains are more influenced by the field than others but you really need to check within strain, by clone first. The cloning eliminates any variation within the strain so you can make strong comparisons.

Any way, putting that out there to make sure every one interested knows and understands how to do this in case they want to themselves.

What I wouldn't give to be running a research operation on this stuff. Growing out on a massive scale is a dream for some. It would be awesome to grow on a scale where you could search for specific traits and isolate them, but doing this kind of research would be even more awesome as you would get to work on figuring out the absolute optimal conditions for growing plants and what might be optimal for sativas might be a bit differnt from indicas, etc.

Keep us posted man.
Thanks a lot. That's super helpful.

This is a little complicated because the test is on exposing seeds to a magnetic field, so the clones are after the fact. How should I do it?
I keep running in circles with this.

I'm smarter than the average bear, but I don't have the skillset to produce genetically identical seeds like monsanto. I only have numbers to play with, so I have a test grow with Original Glue.
50 control
25 exposed for 72hrs (like they did in the paper)
25 exposed for 30 days

I'll see what comes of it.

djonkoman

Veteran
working with genetically different seeds is not ideal, but you could try to compensate by taking seeds as close to eachother as you can find(same batch, similar size, from a decently stable strain), and bigger numbers.
if the effect is big/clear enough, you could still see it in that case, just be aware of the larger randomness due to genetic differences, so higher numbers and more repetitions before you draw conclusions.
you wouldn't be able to see small effects probably, but if the treatment has a very clear big effect, bigger as the randomness in your setup, it should be distinguishable. most experiments do have some faults/randomness somewhere, sometimes you just can't get rid of it like in your case, but you can get as close as possible and keep in mind where/how much your randomness is. (you could also do another experiment first, where you don't do a treatment, and see how large the spread in your data is with just the genetic variation and no treatment, then you get an idea of what your error is)

another option, if you're ok with using other seeds as cannabis, you could use seeds from a vegetable that naturally selfs, so you have seeds that are very close genetically.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I can do that. I have 3 in a spot miles away on their own. I'll let one go to the end and let it self pollinate via rodelization.

djimb

Veteran
I can do that. I have 3 in a spot miles away on their own. I'll let one go to the end and let it self pollinate via rodelization.

One thing to keep in mind regarding rodelized fem seeds is the genetic background of the parent plant. Is it from a relatively inbred, stable line, or is it an F1?

Personally, I like the idea of growing out a large control batch of untreated seed to get a solid handle on the normal amount of variation within the line (range of height, growth rate, flower density, final yield, etc), and then taking those numbers into account when making measurements of your test groups.

Of course, if you're doing the test outdoors (I'll admit, I didn't read thoroughly, you might be planning a controlled indoor environment), there would be environmental factors to take into account as well.

I'm really intrigued by this experiment. Can't wait to see it happen!

militia420

Thanks a lot. That's super helpful.

This is a little complicated because the test is on exposing seeds to a magnetic field, so the clones are after the fact. How should I do it?
I keep running in circles with this.

I'm smarter than the average bear, but I don't have the skillset to produce genetically identical seeds like monsanto. I only have numbers to play with, so I have a test grow with Original Glue.
50 control
25 exposed for 72hrs (like they did in the paper)
25 exposed for 30 days

I'll see what comes of it.

Oh yeh dur. I've been running a serious sleep deficit. You have to do this all within strain for comparison first. So you pick out what ever strains you're going to run, get at least 10 seeds per strain, more is better as it will provide more power for showing an effect, especially if it's subtle.

If you're working with 100 seeds I'd go 33 control, 33 exposed for 72hr, 33 exposed for 30 days. If you want to run one extra throw it in any of the categories. But this gives you a better spread for comparing the treatment groups with the control.

I've read about people running weak emf fields through soil resulting in more vigorous plant growth so I was thinking about that with the clone talk. People would have to see what sort of setups are out there for electrifying the soil then all the stuff I said earlier could be applied. There's great potential (pun intended) here for all the indoor growers. They aren't moving things around and have access to easy electricity but this is a project for some one else.

Keep us posted on your seed project and feel free to pm me if I don't respond (spread thin reading a lot of stuff right now). If that Original glue isn't very available through vendors I'd consider doing some seed runs and putting them up on seedbay or whatever just to make sure the line stays out there. Hate seeing interesting lines die out.