What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guarding clone only strains

M

Mr. Nevermind

OHenry said:
Anyone that gave me a clone only strain that was meant to be protected would expect me to listen to their requests. If I just laughed at them I have a good feeling I wouldn't recieve anymore clones. It's not the fact that you can do what you want- it's what you do.

Understandable but it was payment for work i did in his grow room for him. He paid me in clones instead of cash. if you hire someone to do something and pay with cash do you have a right to tell that person how to spend that cash? No. I agree that some strains should be guarded. But you cannot make a rule on a payment ot someone. Also i told him I wouldnt follow any rules he laid out prior to the deal and he was fine with that and gave me the clones later.

just so you all know. I havent given the cuts out since i dont trade cuts online and dont go to peopels grows where i live. So I may be against the rules but i have not given them out. But if i choose to I can andthats my right per the deal made with the member.

I agree its a trust issue but formt he beginging I told him once it is mine i can do what i liek and he agreed. so people can complain about it but if the member wo gave them to me has no problem wiht it none of you should as well. I agree with you Oh and wont argue with you as i respect you and your opinions. But if you guys knew the entire story you would see i have broken no trust .

nevermind

M

Mr. Nevermind

Nevermind,
Truth be told if you really did tell the fella that before he sent them out then you probably got something other than what you had discussed...Ever think of that???

No, i took them off the plant myself. They were from 3legdog actually and the clones i have are from pics he posted and i took them off of the exact plants you all see in his treads.

nevermind

G

giving someone a clone with requirements like "u cant give it out" is what is really silly. thats a stupid thing to even ask.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Guess it depends on the clone and wheither you want it that bad or not. Offer me a Chem, OG Kush, Williams Wonder, Genius or other that I'd love to have with those stipulations and you'll never see em mentioned, shown, nor given away. But that's just me.

G

yes and no, baegis, its all relative.. what if that person was the breeder and doesnt want it going around, getting renamed, hacks slinging pollen on it for their own gain and maybe not giving credit..

its a great thing to know people love something you made.. but its another animal to find out your trust got betrayed and your intellectual property got stolen, renamed, etc etc and someone else is taking the credit.. also in some areas, its a small world, all know all others in a circle, maybe some jsutified beef, nobody wants their hard work to fall into the hands of a scammer or thief..

so while i agree its lame to have to say dont share, there are circumstances where I understand why its said.. others where I dont..

TORC

It's not stupid if you expect trust, honesty, love, and respect from your friends. Consider it a test. Friends last forever, plants can be replaced. When it all boils down to it, it is about friendship and how you treat those that you consider as such. Mr. Nevermind, you probably should have stated that it was payment for services rendered earlier, would have saved a lot of time.

Breezy420

Babbabud said:
. Fact is pot growers are some of the most genorous ppl ive EVER met.

I can't agree with this statement any more. The compassion in the MJ community is hands down some of the most generous people I've had the pleasure of meeting. I can't count the times that I've read or experienced compassion from other growers its GREAT!

G

pot growers arent necessarily generous..just like anything else in life, some generous, some not.. thats why there are people paying 5,6,800 a z for og kush, face off, deez, etc.. i think its dangerous to make blanket statements like that...

cannigrow

I know what you're getting at Resinryder, just didn't read carefully.

The only bad thing I can see happening is that someone makes seeds and capitalizes on an elite, claiming it as their own, when it's not.

The real question is why people go through so much trouble to make sure very few, if any, people get a strain. I totally understand not wanting to mail them out to everyone who wants it.

In my mind, if I had been holding onto a strain for years, i woulda given it out to any of my friends who wanted it. I would have traded it for other comparable strains, and I wouldn't look at it like the Hope Diamond. I know many elite strain owners do this, but it's the aforementioned mindset that I don't understand, as well as the original explation that Rez gave in my first post.

Mr Nevermind, I think you're perfectly in the right; if someone gives out a clone to you but says "don't pass this out" that's sort of asinine and contradictory and if they're THAT concerned, they should just hoard it.

Oh and you better belive I'm going to Borat; and might just die.

for some humor in this otherwise heated thread, check out this Borat interview on Jon Stewart, good stuff

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/celebrity_interviews/index.jhtml

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

TORC said:
It's not stupid if you expect trust, honesty, love, and respect from your friends. Consider it a test. Friends last forever, plants can be replaced. When it all boils down to it, it is about friendship and how you treat those that you consider as such. Mr. Nevermind, you probably should have stated that it was payment for services rendered earlier, would have saved a lot of time.

I didnt think i needed to expalin it further than i did. Once someone give you something and it is truly yours , noone else has the right to tell you what to do with it. Thats the point i am making . But as i said. I have never given the cuts i received out since the only grower i know and trust is a 7 hour drive from me and has the same cuts as i do. But i do have the right to give them out if i choose, i just dont trade openly . But if i wanted to its my right and no trust is being broken

nevemind

M

Mr. Nevermind

Mr Nevermind, I think you're perfectly in the right; if someone gives out a clone to you but says "don't pass this out" that's sort of asinine and contradictory and if they're THAT concerned, they should just hoard it.

Whoa , dont get my words twisted. In certain cases people have the right to say what ot do with it. Like Chemdog saying to rez not to pass around or breed chemdog. Chemdog is dead right for saying that since he has his own plans for releasing the seeds. But if you arent going to breed then i think peopel should pass the out. If i had a friend and i had something he wanted I would give it to him, that being a friend. I wouldnt make rules about it.But to each his own, certain people have their motives an \d thats cool. But in my opinion there are to many rules and members should share something with others if it that good. I have all the clones i want so i am not speaking from jealousy, just speaking from a community. Part of a comminuty is sharing and when peopel dont do that it makes you wonder if hey are truly part of a community.

nevermind

G

:chin: Group hug. :joint:

*toke* *toke* *toke* *pass....*

Dunno if it's been brought up yet, I started through the thread but then hit that "ego" snag and the flamewar. Come on, simple question deserves a simple honest answer.

As a humbled host of some of these elite gifts, I think I can see the position most growers seem to take. First, my personal feelings are that I have to feel comfortable with a grower's abilities to keep the cherished strains alive. I have no problems passing on genes to the worthy, but too many times inconsiderate growers grab something only to flower it and toke it themselves, lossing the strain. We pass them around to share, and want to make sure it continues....I don't think greed has anything to do with - greed? How am I gonna make money by caring for an elite. It's only those that grow for greed that seem to take offense at our attempts to preserve the strains. I didn't pay for any, and don't expect anyone else to. Period.

Think about it. We don't have beans. The mom is the lone contributor of the strain. Clones is the only way to keep the strain alive without polluting the line by a breeders' opinion of what he thinks it should be crossed with. When we get pollen or a chance to make beans to back up the line from catastrophic loss, I don't think a grower should be looked down on for that.

I'm far from greedy, but I'm not a fool either. If you want to make money, invest in beans and go for it, but don't blame me for being selectable on who can take care of my gifts with the promise of passing on the strain locally without monetary gain.

Just my 2-cents. Peace. See ya in chat. :woohoo:

G

I see your logic Lorax, I guess it is more complicated that I thought.

ok yeah i see the friendship, love, honesty point. I probably shouldnt have said its a stupid thing to ask someone to keep the cut to themselves. grumpy today.

Last edited:

cannigrow

My bad, Nevermind, I agree that if someone like chemdog gives a breeder a cut, with the explicit request NOT to breed it, that's another story. That's along the lines of taking someone's hard work and claiming it for you own, which we'd all agree is wrong. But I'm with you on casually handing out cuts to people you know and trust, and it doesn't matter to me whether it's an elite or a standard variety.

I think it comes down mostly to the simple fact that not everyone who owns an elite knows a lot of other capable growers to give it to. I know I don't. So that's probably the biggest limitation.

In some instances maybe it's because of money, as someone mentioned about the Pink Kush, but it shouldn't be.

Again, this was not meant to be a war, or an attack on anyone who owns elites. I wanted some opinions on why they stay so coveted for so long. I'm glad to see people like Rez take some of these strains and do their own work with them so more people can experience them.

I hope Chemdog and others do some work in the future, and I'm sure they'd be remembered for it looong after. It seems like there is a trend in breeders where they're taking more and more clone only strains and making seeds, so lets Hug it out Bitches, as Ari Gold would say. I don't want this thread to deteriorate any more.

Existenzophile

This thread has inspired me to start the "Open Source Canna-Genetics" movement. No trade secrets, no bullshit, just pure open source cannabis! All strains will be licensed under the GnuFDL for free redistrobution as long as credit is given to the creators of course.

All code will be accepted for the project, perfered programing language is GTAC++

:D

M

Mr. Nevermind

so lets Hug it out Bitches, as Ari Gold would say.

That is perhaps the best line ever on TV! Ari in that show is to god damn funny

Nevermind

G

Existenzophile said:
This thread has inspired me to start the "Open Source Canna-Genetics" movement. No trade secrets, no bullshit, just pure open source cannabis! All strains will be licensed under the GnuFDL for free redistrobution as long as credit is given to the creators of course.

All code will be accepted for the project, perfered programing language is GTAC++

And look at the cash RedHat makes off the free open source! :pointlaug

That's the root of the problem, if anyone can have it anyone can mold it the way they want, until it no longer resembles the original code. Sometimes a good thing, most often a cluster-fuck. :chin:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A couple examples:
Deep Chunk....$1500 + /10 seeds
I was given the Deep Chunk.After a while I made a couple hundreds of DC fn+1 that resembles the originals,and I gave away one hundred + at least,and made some ppl happy!!.I know that more seeds have been produced by those folks,they are fn+2,I can only hope that those are good.Time will tell....

"X-18",
Well.I can count with the fingers of one of my hands the ppl that has been given this strain :D
At this very moment,I have cuttings of one female,my keeper so far.I had another girl,grown outdoors...no cuttings from her,but hybrid seeds...X18 x DC
I also have X18 x DC made indoors,the keeper x a different DC male
Even if I had a small amount of seeds from both crosses,I gave away as much as I could...
Now,Tom has gifted me a fair # of X18 beans....that means that the line will be continued (for good or bad).
The only condition was......PICS!!
I´m going to start my 2nd thread here @ IC...."X-18"
I´ve been hoarding the cutting so far,but I´m not going to hoard it forever!!
Also,I would hate to put it in the wrong hands....

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
yeah me personally, I think its low character to give someone a strain and tell them not to spread it. Not low character to spread a strain. so one strain costs alot of money for that type and when its spread it gets cheaper. explain to me why this is a bad thing? mo betta mo betta mo betta if you ask me.

I'll tell you now, if you don't want me to grow and reproduce your seeds and give them out don't let me get a hold of 'em. cuz its what I do and what I think everyone should do.

Existenzophile

1TokeOverLine said:
And look at the cash RedHat makes off the free open source! :pointlaug

That's the root of the problem, if anyone can have it anyone can mold it the way they want, until it no longer resembles the original code. Sometimes a good thing, most often a cluster-fuck. :chin:

Ahh, but that's the beauty of it. I can download Redhat, and mod it until it has no resembelence to the original distro but is perfectley suited to my needs! It may be a clusterfuck for someone else, but it's perfect for me!

This only becomes a problem when people try to redistribute things they've altered to meet their own needs and brand it as a catch-all solution. But we've got a free market economy, no one can force you to utilize a product that doesn't suit your needs.

The root *chuckle* of the problem is greed and elitism. Greed is human nature, and elitism (in this case) is a product of prohibition.

sudo chmod 777 /etc/elite/strains.tar
sudo chown everyone /etc/elite/strains.tar