What's new

GROW TENT

ICEMAN48

Hy im new here iv been out of the growing thing for some time looking at a grow tent 3 buy 4 buy 7. 400 wat light how hard are the tents to keep cool. so much new stuff out there.i started my frist indoor grow in 1973 thought i was lucky looking through the frezer and found 2 packs of DP BLUEBERRY from 2000 .:wallbash:

oregon_guy

Ice,
First of all, welcome to Icmag. You have roughly the same size of tent as my flower tent. I run a 400 HPS as well. You are going to need at least 2 (3 is best) duct fans and a air cooled hood. One fan just for the hood, one for Intake and One for exhaust. At the present, I am just using one fan for the Cool Tube/Exhaust. I can get away with it as I can control the temp of the small room the tent is in. Best way would be to run a seperate exhaust and one just for the hood.

Best of luck to you and your grow!!!

:joint:

LlamaSchool

You shouldn't have any trouble keeping that tent cool especially if you are running just one 400 watt HID. I would highly suggest an air-cooled light/hood if you have not yet made this purchase.

I also think you can set your whole tent up with just one fan that pulls air from inside the tent (thus drawing fresh air in through the vents), across the lamp, and out the tent. You might also work a carbon filter in to this venting plan.

hempluvr

plant pimp
Veteran
I am also running a grow tent for flowering. The Secret Jardin Dr 120. I have one 600 watt hps,air cooled and have no issues. Like Oregon_guy said,it is best to have 2-3 fans in there. Right now I have 2,one for circulation and 1 for cooling the light area. Keeps the temps right around 74-75 degrees F. That is with the tent totally closed. During lights out it is easy for the humidity to rise. A good exhaust fan or dehumidifier work wonders. Good luck with your grow and welcome to tha IC! Keep It GreeN :joint:

toastfighter2

I am in favor a a cool tube hooked the the biggest exhaust fan you can get your hands on, and only cost as much(or in most cases less, if you can diy) as a good hood, but works very well with an adjust-a-wing style reflector. I ran mine the way that LlamaSchool suggested(w/it pulling from my box) and it dropped my temp about 15 degrees(f) in my cab and I can touch the tube w/out getting burned.

OCdirty

i have a 3x3x5.5 tent w/ a 400w light and have ZERO heat issues. I use an Air Cooled Sun System II hood with a 4" inline fan that draws air from outside, through the reflector and out the other side of the tent.

I can touch the light w/ no problem. I then have a 90 CFM computer fan exhausting out the top

One thing to be ready for with a tent is the sides tend to "suck in" with the negative pressure. It's not a big problem in the whole scheme of things, but I learned a hard lesson when I had some plants stacked on random stuff to even up the canopy, the sides sucked in on me and knocked a couple over.

Vegan

Hy im new here iv been out of the growing thing for some time looking at a grow tent 3 buy 4 buy 7. 400 wat light how hard are the tents to keep cool. so much new stuff out there.i started my frist indoor grow in 1973 thought i was lucky looking through the frezer and found 2 packs of DP BLUEBERRY from 2000 .:wallbash:

1 get a 600 watt ( you will thank yourself later )
2 6" vortex fan the word ya need here is OVERKILL
3 air cooled hood
4 carbon scrubber (if you need odor control )
5 grow some awesome gentics and start a grow log!!

welcome to IC mag

if only i followed my own advice when I started...:wallbash:

socbutter

3 air cooled hood

welcome to IC mag

YUP, THAT:yeahthats

Should have followed his advice on the 600HPS...:wallbash:

growMEDS

3 air cooled hood

welcome to IC mag

I second this. Great setup!

wickedpete66

I have 2 hydrohut minis. Both use a 1000wt hps bulb. Air cooled hood with a vortex 6" fan keeps temps about 5* above ambient.

wickedpete66

3 air cooled hood

welcome to IC mag

I here ya there. i started off with a 400 then went to 600 now I'm using a 1000watter

wickedpete66

You could run the 1 600 watt and the 1 400 watt for 1000 watts and get more light than using 1 single 1000 watter =) :joint:

I was running 600 hps and 400mh for full spectrum its great for scrog. but you still dont get the deep penetration that a single 1000watter will get you if you want to grow big trees

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I dig the 600's as well. I prefer 2 600's versus a single 1k BUT odds are would choose 2 1k watt setups over the 3-4 600's that would be needed to compete.

I have used the 400 and it is cool, I think you will be happier with the 600's because in the end saving money now really isn't saving anything if you end up upgrading later anyways.

socbutter

Awesome

Awesome

I was running 600 hps and 400mh for full spectrum its great for scrog. but you still dont get the deep penetration that a single 1000watter will get you if you want to grow big trees

please tell us more. the size of everything, buckets & tent in particular. what are u growing??

Cyber9

Ice,
You are going to need at least 2 (3 is best) duct fans and a air cooled hood. One fan just for the hood, one for Intake and One for exhaust.

Ummm I'm going to have to disagree with you, 3 even 2 duct fans is way over kill for a tent that size. I have 1 400cfm inline duct fan running through my cooltube, then just for shits and giggles i have a pc computer fan mounted in the top of my tent that exhaust ( its really not needed since the temp only going up in the tent by 2 degrees when its not on.)

Like look how its sucking my tent in with just 1 duct fan
42861HPIM0426.JPG

Latest posts

Latest posts