What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow Tent OutGassing / Offgassing WARNING!!

neuroherb

Supplemental information provided by Hydrohut

Supplemental information provided by Hydrohut

The Plant/Plastic problem explained exactly
http://133.5.207.201/ijob/Biotronics/1984_IJOBS_V13/V13_p39-42.pdf

Health and Environmental Information

http://www.phthalates.com/index.asp?page=5

The latest research findings and current understanding of the health and environmental effects of phthalates clearly show that they do not pose a risk to human health or the environment.
It is now scientifically accepted that the carcinogenic effects produced by phthalates in rodents are species specific and of little relevance to humans. The environmental impact of phthalates is considered to be low due to their ready biodegradability and low toxicity.
Plasticisers in general and phthalates in particular are currently the subject of considerable media, legislative and scientific debate. This is not new. Concerns regarding plasticisers have been raised on a variety of topics at regular intervals ever since the early 1980's. These have included carcinogenicity, environmental effects, oestrogen mimicking, phthalates in toys, and most recently exposure via medical devices. However, any fears have repeatedly been shown to be unfounded.
Plasticised PVC has been used for more nearly 50 years without a single known case of it having caused any ill-health and the environmental effects of phthalates are known to be minimal. Academia and industry have continually worked together to address the concerns and conduct necessary research. Indeed there is more known today about phthalates than almost any other chemicals.
Unfortunately, politics play an increasingly important part in any debate relating to chemicals but, in the majority of cases, a scientific approach to the concerns has been adopted by the authorities.
Indeed, it is as a consequence of the large amount of scientific research that has been carried out and also because flexible PVC makes such a valuable contribution to modern life that plasticiser usage continues to grow.
EU risk assessments, conducted under the Existing Substances Regulation (793/93/EEC), have now been published for three of the five main phthalate plasticisers (DINP, DIDP and DBP) and those for the two others (DEHP and BBP) are almost complete. For DINP, DIDP and DBP there are no risks identified for any application in which they are used. In the case of the risk assessments still being finalised it has already been agreed that the general population is not at risk from the use from either plasticiser.

Also check these links for newer information on the info mentioned above. These links to not concur with Greenpeace’s website.

http://www.phthalates.com/index.asp?page=54

Plasticisers and phthalates -- Questions and answers
http://madang.ajou.ac.kr/~ydpark/chemicals/phthalate/qnada.htm

neuroherb

The main post has been updated with information from both Homebox & Hydrohut. Worth a look as some thorough information has been provided.

neuroherb

As mentioned I have been provided with a Homebox and will be running a test grow in it. From putting the tent up initially I can see the material for the skin is a lot different the Homebox material feels thiner and also has a feel of laminated materials rather than a canvas which has had a liquid plastic bonded to it. There was no plastic smell, which was very prominent in the other tent I had.

The zips are of better quality running smoother and actually light tight again a big diference as my previous tent looked like one of those luminous skeleton suits you get at halloween.

It is a Homebox XL version 4, a full grow test will be posted on it with pics in a few weeks.

Just to be clear any tent I name in comparison to this Homebox is a no name brand I got on an auction site not a previous Homebox or a Hydrohut.

Last edited:

neuroherb

Ram

looks like Mr Bongjangles has already helped you good, but it's a good possibility as you removed the bottom white liner the problem might clear up. If it doesn't please keep us informed as the new silver lining is meant to be a solution. If it has problems of its own it would be good to follow them and you are not the first to ask about one.

neuroherb

Thanks to a couple of folk here for dropping by and getting involved even if it has been heated at times, good to know that discussion on topics as important as this are taken seriously by people centraly involved. However the forum site here has general rules on naming people given the general topic so we have to observe this an be a bit careful.

Getting past the heated discussion and starting from the premise the brands being discussed do not or no longer sufffer from this issue. What would be the thoughts on getting together with others of similar safe standards in the market sector and developing an agreed mark / symbol to signify the product has been tested for reactions such as toxic tent syndrome?

Thanks to a couple of folk here for dropping by and getting involved even if it has been heated at times, good to know that discussion on topics as important as this are taken seriously by people centraly involved. However the forum site here has general rules on naming people given the general topic so we have to observe this an be a bit careful.

Getting past the heated discussion and starting from the premise the brands being discussed do not or no longer sufffer from this issue. What would be the thoughts on getting together with others of similar safe standards in the market sector and developing an agreed mark / symbol to signify the product has been tested for reactions such as toxic tent syndrome?

All sounds good, but you're talking about being polite and yet one manufacturer even went as far as copying a logo, yet did a crap job of copying the rest of it. I dunno man, I think the gloves were off at that point and it's a bit pathetic, don't you think?
I'm surprised in fact that homebox didn't sue the arse off of them, that's what I'd have done.
People should be aware of who they're dealing with and their level of ethics, you'd have to get a mark agreed at EU level or at least at national level in some country, I think the safety standards that homebox stick to would be good to go by, I mean if you can't find an indoor grow room standard then surely a standard for childrens toys which will end up swallowed, chewed and in mouths would be a good one.
Maybe go by those standards which already set the bar pretty high?

GaryCares

Hmm I am a new medical user doing a first time grow and I was considering building my own grow tent with a PVC frame for mobility and to save moneym is this going to cause the same issues If I just use the PVC for the frame and the frame itself is wrapped in plastic similar to greenhouse plastic? Ive yet to purchase my products so I just need some input before I go out and purchase anything. These plants will be my medicine so if they have problems I will have dug mysekf a large hole, Id planned on going shopping this week so if someone can help me out soon Id really appreciate it.,

Hmm I am a new medical user doing a first time grow and I was considering building my own grow tent with a PVC frame for mobility and to save moneym is this going to cause the same issues If I just use the PVC for the frame and the frame itself is wrapped in plastic similar to greenhouse plastic? Ive yet to purchase my products so I just need some input before I go out and purchase anything. These plants will be my medicine so if they have problems I will have dug mysekf a large hole, Id planned on going shopping this week so if someone can help me out soon Id really appreciate it.,

Try the grow room design forum, they'll be better at answering that question there I'd have said.

neuroherb

Hi Gary

If you were to follow the link in the info given by Hydrohut http://133.5.207.201/ijob/Biotronics/1984_IJOBS_V13/V13_p39-42.pdf

In it the last paragraph on the first page discusses the problem occurring in glass greenhouses with a PVC cushion strip. It depends as presumably your PVC poles will not be that flexible and the issue does seem to be arround the use of plasticisers which make PVC flexible.

However if it was me I would look for a diferent material.

IndoorMojo

DR Quality Issues from the top

DR Quality Issues from the top

Posted by Mr. Bongjangles on 1-11-2009 from a closed thread. (HydroHut …Wow)

Lets see what neuroherb had to say about the jardin tents being lightproof or not (compared to the white plastic tents no less..):

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroherb
The Secret Jardin doesn't feel plastic at all and while its a thinner nylon it is actually more light proof in there opinion.

Posted by Bongjangles:
Are you saying he is wrong too then?

Posted by Bongjangles:
It's too bad you have to bullshit about the competition in your attempt to clear your name.

Posted by Bongjangles on 1-11-09 at 5:01pm

So, me, neuroherb's friends, and Chunkybuddha are lying?

No, its you, the owner of Hydrohut no less, who is the only one saying you can see a cfl through the Darkroom material..

Despicable.. Way to get caught in a huge bullshit lie about your competitors' tent.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Bongjangles you have tried to discredit me and my product every day you could. Above, you viciously slammed me twice based on our findings with the Dark Room. You keep telling me that I am lying, or trying to save my own ass, and that I am despicable. Perhaps I’m bringing truth that doesn’t fit your stance for the last year?

I do not take kindly to the way that you choose to treat me or my product. I’ve said it before after most of your irrational attacks. There is no need to believe me. Here, I will attach an edited letter from the US Darkroom distributor, Everest from 1/14/09 and faxed out to stores in the industry.

You can read for yourself what they say about their own DR tents. I will point out that just about each point that they address about their own product are points that I have brought forth and that you have come down on me for as if I were wrong, or doing this for ratings, or analyzing my competition without fact, or simply being “despicable”. You were flat wrong Mr. Bongjangles for calling me a liar. Lighten up a little please next time. The points I argued to you are the points that the USA DR distributor has chosen itself to admit now that they are moving in with Homebox & that the new DR’s were released (I disagree with the last point ("new") but I’m not quibbling). The people you supported have just made your arguments moot.

I have edited certain info from the letter so as not to violate anyone’s privacy or privileged information. There are two separate files for the two pages. A is the first page and B the second. This was the only way I could do it.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=273&pictureid=1620

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=273&pictureid=1621

I think they had real issues with their production. I believe the material was inconsistent in terms of it being light proof because I know what we saw while studying the DR 300 and I believe you and Neuroherb et al truly believe what you saw. Therefore, my only conclusion is that there were/are production problems. I am certainly not the only one to have had/seen light issues with the DR's, or broken corners or bent poles, or ceiling collapses. The truth is the damn truth!

GaryCares

Hi Gary

If you were to follow the link in the info given by Hydrohut http://133.5.207.201/ijob/Biotronics/1984_IJOBS_V13/V13_p39-42.pdf

In it the last paragraph on the first page discusses the problem occurring in glass greenhouses with a PVC cushion strip. It depends as presumably your PVC poles will not be that flexible and the issue does seem to be arround the use of plasticisers which make PVC flexible.

However if it was me I would look for a diferent material.

Yeah Ive been taking the advice of a friend of mine and I think Ill just be going with a cabinet style grow room. The grow tent seems a bit risky, and the ibntake, outake, exhaust, etc etc seem like they may be a bi complicated to get down exactly right. Thanks for the advice guys!

berbes

for the folks who have not resolved this issue with hydrohut yet:

they will initially try to tell you the recall is officially over (as if 1-1-09) and they will send you replacement skins at a 'nominal charge'. do NOT accept this solution and ask for a mgr...THEN they will send them to you for FREE.

IndoorMojo

Berbes is wrong! Just the kind of person to ruin things for everyone. That is not the course of action that happened with you, perhaps you think so, but you just overstepped your bounds. Nice work! Just the kind of guy to take advantage.

berbes

really???

really???

geez, what a moron or shill of HH. here are MY emails from HH regarding MY replacement skin:

From: intlgrwrs@gmail.com [mailto:intlgrwrs@gmail.com] On Behalf Of HydroHuts
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 3:15 PM
To: XXXXXXXX
Subject: Re: ContactUs

XXXXXXX,
the recall is over as of 12/31/08. We were shipping huts back and forth all last year as well as took them off the market in the middle of last year. Please tell me what size you have and we can sell you a brand new silver skin at a minimal price.

Joseph

i was forced to take it to another level to get what was fairly mine. i'm WRONG? btw, there are NO phone numbers for HH, and the email addy you see at the top of this cut & paste is one they DON'T want you to have, so feel free to write them there :)

only 10 posts, indoor mo? amazing how a few corporate shills can cloud the relatively simple issues at hand. now go pull on yo mama's nipple until milk comes out, sonny.

Last edited:

berbes

sry about refering to you as a shill, IM. i see you have identified yourself as some type of spokesman for HH in earlier posts.

to call me anything but a customer of HH who did have the correspondence i posted, only makes you out to look as someone trying to hide HH's real intentions.

are you about to tell me the email i posted from HH is fake in some way? HH did stand behind their product AFTER i had to say, 'no' to paying for the replacement skin. i'm not trying to start anything, just alerting IC members to my story.

better just to let this one go, IM.

neuroherb

For those who can identify a brand such as the HH recall, but even others with the issue there should be no limit of time for replacement. For things like car recalls where dealers can identify first owners there can sometimes be a limit like 5 years in order to contact all registered owners. But where you are the first owner of a consumer product like a grow tent bought through the legitimate supply chain (ie have a receipt) and have just been made aware of an issue the merchant & mfg still remain responsible for their product.

IndoorMojo

sry about refering to you as a shill, IM. i see you have identified yourself as some type of spokesman for HH in earlier posts.

to call me anything but a customer of HH who did have the correspondence i posted, only makes you out to look as someone trying to hide HH's real intentions.

are you about to tell me the email i posted from HH is fake in some way? HH did stand behind their product AFTER i had to say, 'no' to paying for the replacement skin. i'm not trying to start anything, just alerting IC members to my story.

better just to let this one go, IM.

Here we go again! I help you, you shit on me.

Always jumping to trying hide something on our part. Nope, nothing to hide. You said to ask for a manager. Not true at all. I took your mail and handled it all by myself. I don't have a boss and you weren't referred to one. You said no to my offer to you after you had lied about the store and I was very sick that day and didn't want to fight. I told you about my illness & why I couldn't talk to you but needed to write, you faked concern and said a bunch of nonsense to me as if you cared. Right. You lied and said you just found about the recall two weeks before... more bullshit.

First you said you bought the Hut from Hydrofarm. I knew that was a lie and told you this wasn't possible. Then you changed the store and I did NOT ask you for a receipt. You just ruined it for everyone!

I will follow Neuro's suggestion, ask for a receipt. We will do so as a matter of course.

Berbes, you used our main email and we don't keep it a secret, grow up! You were an asshole before, you remain one and I'd love to meet you in person. Why in the hell do insult my mother consistently? Did you have a mom?

Did you read the bottom of our email to you? You shouldn't be posting our info to you as it said not to do things like that. Stop posting what you are not supposed to be posting.

You are a nasty individual with plenty of ulterior motives. What comes around goes around son.

IndoorMojo

i apologize for the mom thing...thought i edited it out after i found out you were not trying to hide.

It ain't my fault the market is down. Take out your anger on someone else. I never forget people like you. "You just found out I wasn't trying to hide"? How stupid does that sound? Keep your apology.

Latest posts

Latest posts