What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green_Science 21x600W Nft SeaOfGreen

ogenko

off the charts brother
cant wait to see the finals

i love nft myself
had some problems with root rot and such for a while now
just started using beneficial fungus and beneficial bacteria an i think my luck is changing

i always wanted to try those nutriculture trays, but they are still hard to find here in the states
theres plenty of ways to make nft without them though

ppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaacccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeee

Green_science

Thank you for the compliments all, 5th sorry bro, I know I said I would update every week, but there really aint much going on before week 4, but I will update on sunday, theyre 4.5 weeks in and starting to bulk up.
whats your situation, did ya build the trays?

zamzia

Veteran
Very impressive Green science! I'll be watching this one. What size is the room?

zamzia

5th

Veteran
My trays are 4 inch pvc tubes...I can't get square posts from home depot or anywhere for that matter lol. Clones have rooted and I should probably start building something...

You do your updating whens good for you bro. Your right about not a whole lot going on as far as size. Just curious about stretch, light penetration, that kinda shit lol...

K I'm gonna go get some tube...I feel like making a thread again :tiphat:

Green_science

Zamzia, from what I can remember, I cant find the planning diagram, it is around 27ft by 17ft although I would have to certify this, the room contains a Quad multiduct pictured bottom left in the diagram it looks like this
MD604.jpg

its dimensions are 400cm length and 212cm width, beside that, top left of the diagram below, is a system exact same length but half its width, it looks like this
MD602.jpg

The other side of the room has slightly different systems, the reservoir does not sit in the middle of where two trays meet
they look like this, this is the bottom right sketch on the diagram it measures 250cm length and 212 width
MD803.jpg

beside this, top right of the diagram, is a system of same length but as before half width and looks like this
MD801.jpg

Silver boxes on below diagram are lighting
picture.php

zamzia

Veteran
Thanks for the info Green science. Very interesting! Those look like impressive sized tables and I'm very jealous of your grow. Well done you. I've not really looked over or followed any nft table grows. I understand the principle, but how do the plants support themselves? Looking forward to seeing this through to the end. Best of luck.

zamzia

Green_science

So I took some pictures, I have not got the time to up them all, gotta get some sleep, so I uploaded a couple quickly I will upload the rest tommorow.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mrsmall

Bloody great stuff!
do you get much noise from this set up mr science?
I used to run nft back in the day but nothing at all to this scale, i wondering about getting back into it, but have neighbours,
am very impressed with your work

Green_science

Bloody great stuff!
do you get much noise from this set up mr science?
I used to run nft back in the day but nothing at all to this scale, i wondering about getting back into it, but have neighbours,
am very impressed with your work

Thank you for your compliment buddy, noise is irrelevant in this place so I did not have to factor acoustics into this setup.

If you was asking about the noise from the NFT systems, well the are near silent, I do this by running the spreader mat from the tray all the way down into, say, an inch from the base of the reservoir, this causes the water to flow down the spreader mat instead of flowing off the trays and crashing into the water.

At the top of the trays where the feed enters, I cut the spreader mat a foot too long, take the top 3 inches and then fold it back on itself a couple times, effectively creating a pillow, with said extra foot. I do this is so the when the water enters the trays it falls onto this pillow, and makes nearly no noise at all, certainly not enough to bother your neighbors.

Lastly omit air pumps, in this situation they are of little or no benefit and in fact sometimes they make things worse. I use a submersible pump pointed towards the side of the tank, this pushes water upwards and causes it to break the surface, some people call this "flooming" the science behind it makes sense, you cause ripples, effectively, exposing much more surface area of the nutrient solution to oxygen, thus creating a higher DO content in your solution, I have not tested how effective this method is at increasing the (DO) (dissolved oxygen) content in your tank, but it certainly has other benefits that make it worth it, keeps your solution moving thus helping prevent salt build up, mixes nutrients and PH up fast so you can get an accurate reading quicker, stuff like this, it is certainly not a necessity but I have always done it and works great for me.

very last thing, make sure you use all the rubber feet that come with the pumps, it eliminates vibrations and noise

Setting up a NFT system with them simple rules above, always works real good for me and causes the whole thing to run near dead silent.

If that brief answer wasn't of much value and you was more interested in other general noise within the room and what I will do if it necessary to avoid it, just let me know.

How far away do you keep them 600W lamps?

That looks beautiful

Thanks ekomsi, the height I have my lights (in any setup) is usually somewhat dictated by environment but "always" what suits the situation best, I am well versed with the Inverse-square law however, as I am sure you know, once you have experience on your side the science only gets you so far. What I meant earlier by "dictated somewhat by environment" is that I usually have the lights how ever high they need to be to keep the canopy at no higher than 82f. Once you have over adequate lighting, such as in our rooms, yield is FAR more dictated by environment than a few inches difference with height of lights. The important factors for me are, difference between night/day temperatures and peak day time temp, provided keeping your canopy at said temperatures doesn't mean having to have the lights 3ft+ away then this is what I prioritize, as you can see in a few of the pics, the reflectors are at different heights, this is because I move the thermometer around checking the canopy temps and adjust lights accordingly. I let the night temps drop no more than 15f, this coupled with day time temps of no higher than 82f, are what seems to bring the money home for me. During the the switch over to bloom when the girls want to stretch, I might, for example, set the fan temps way down, turn the AC on etc, so I can have my lighting a fair bit closer to the canopy for 3 weeks, whilst the canopy still remains desired temps, after this, in opposite fashion to most growers, I will usually back the lights off a little bit as apposed to bringing them closer. All this being said, like I mentioned earlier experience>science, I could turn my extraction up a lot in this room and have the lights way closer if I wanted, but I do not.

Hope I have, excuse the pun, "shed some light" on my methods for ya.

Latest posts

Latest posts