What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

greek landrace strains

Montuno

...como el Son...
that's going be it-lots of classical references-Mozarabic trade routes etc

there is a bit on ICMag about this-don't know where tho

eddieS

Hi.
What do your wanna mean when you talk about mozarabic? Maybe it means another diferent thing in English than in Spanish? Or are your talkin bout the Spanish Mozarabics (cos I think it is very dificult that they had any relation with the Greek marihuana, am I wrong?)?.
Salud.

R

red23

:)

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 26

maimunji

Yes i now see Greek landrace even confirmed from phylos. Now what to expect Swami seeds to start selling them? Totally bullshit. Macedonian brothers is ready with next super rare landrace. Og makedon maybe from Philip II of Macedon? Its so easy to put peoples in dreams this days.

delicorganic

What is exactly bullshit?what is this swami seeds and which is the connection with phylos?
Be more clear and explain us your weird stories.
The sample that Appears on phylos was sent by me.
It's also too easy for peoples to defame everything out of their standards in our days.

Last edited:

maimunji

There is no such thing like Greece landrace i live in Greece border. Whatever you have there Kalamata red or somethings its not native strain from Greece thats bullshit. This can be some kind of landrace but its imported from somewhere not that late in the time is this make it landrace? There is no cannabis culture in Balkans we all are slaves under ottoman empire just before 100 years. If something is imported there even before 100 years thats not make it landrace or make it?

delicorganic

You are totally inaccurate..
Let us,a few local farmers,who lives in the country to know better than you neighbor which kind of cannabis,vegetables and tobacco we cultivate here.
I don t know for your country but here we have some rare local traditional varieties(if you don't like the term landrace and i partially agree here).
this heritage from our grandfathers we have to save and preserve...
We are really proud for these genetics..
If you don't like this reality and you keep defaming with an ungently way,i suggest you just to keep smoking clueless any new super fashionable multipolyhybrid and let us smoke some high quality local herb.
No one said that kalamata red is a pure landrace..
Around 1915, the production of hash was the most important source of income for farmers on the Greek peninsula Peloponnesos according to the French adventurer and writer Henry de Monfreid (“Hashish: A Smuggler’s Tale”, 1933). Each farm had its own variety and just like wine, there were good and bad years.

Last edited:

maimunji

Dude Im from Bulgaria. I respect every grower in the world. Im not here to call you liar you just don't have enough history understanding. If your Greece grandfathers grow hash type plants where is evedence in real life did you see wild indica plant(short fat broad leaves) growing wild in your country? I will say no. Did you see hemp growing wild i will say yes. Where is evedence about Turkish smoke hashish under ottoman slaves? Where in books? And don't blame me on hybrids because kalamata red you post have more frost than some of the frostiest hybrids.
I will say probably hemp plant hitting with something frosty like nevil haze looks like.
Here is field with hemp in Greece with Turkish soldiers found inside... is this hash type plant? What they do with all this hash 1913? Who buy it? I will say they all grow hepm there.
picture.php

R

red23

Dude Im from Bulgaria. I respect every grower in the world. Im not here to call you liar you just don't have enough history understanding. If your Greece grandfathers grow hash type plants where is evedence in real life did you see wild indica plant(short fat broad leaves) growing wild in your country? I will say no. Did you see hemp growing wild i will say yes. Where is evedence about Turkish smoke hashish under ottoman slaves? Where in books? And don't blame me on hybrids because kalamata red you post have more frost than some of the frostiest hybrids.
I will say probably hemp plant hitting with something frosty like nevil haze looks like.
Here is field with hemp in Greece with Turkish soldiers found inside... is this hash type plant? What they do with all this hash 1913? Who buy it? I will say they all grow hepm there.
View Image
What is Bulgaria known for?

therevverend

Veteran
Dude Im from Bulgaria. I respect every grower in the world. Im not here to call you liar you just don't have enough history understanding. If your Greece grandfathers grow hash type plants where is evedence in real life did you see wild indica plant(short fat broad leaves) growing wild in your country? I will say no. .

You've got me curious I lost my copy of Hashish! several years back but I recently I re-purchased it. It's got quite a bit on the history of hashish use and production in the Ottoman Empre.

What I'm typing here has nothing to do with individual claims. Whether deliorganic's or anybody else's plants are true Greek hashplants or hemp or 80s Dutch or whatever. I'm interested in providing some historical background.

Hashish smoking was prevalent among the Muslims of the Ottoman Empire. In Syria, Asia Minor, Constantinople, and Smyrna. These communities had a substantial Greek population. In the 17th century there were 60 tekes (hashish smoking spots) in Constantinople. At this point the hashish sold in the tekes was made in Turkey not Greece.

Greece became independent in 1830. Sources refer to hashish appearing in Greece after 1850. Introduced from the east the starting point was the island of Syros in the Cyclades. Other sources report that some of the best hashish was grown on Syros.

Greece was a hashish production center from the late 1880s until Greece's Golden Age of hashish in the 1920s and 30s. Hashish was openly cultivated for export and local use. Before 1915 around 26000 acres were put to hash growing. In 1922 many of the repatriated Asia Minor Greeks were hashish smokers.

During the 1920s and 30s the best Greek hashish was grown on the island of Syros. However a lot of the best hashish came from neighboring Turkey. In the late 1930s the Metaxes dictatorship cracked down on hashish and rebetika music, the entire Greek music and teke scene. Mirroring what was happening in the US and around the world at the time.

Until the 1970s Greek laws were severe and cannabis was deep deep underground. I'm guessing in this period a lot of the good stuff was lost. By the mid 1990s both domestic ganja and imported hashish was available. It's possible true Greek strains could have survived the dark times and made it to the present day.

The problem is that verification is difficult and the records are sketchy. People like to tell stories and should be taken with a healthy grain of salt. Claims are hard to prove or disprove but it'd be nice if there are strains existing to this day and your strain is one of them.

maimunji

You've got me curious I lost my copy of Hashish! several years back but I recently I re-purchased it. It's got quite a bit on the history of hashish use and production in the Ottoman Empre.
Hashish smoking was prevalent among the Muslims of the Ottoman Empire. In Syria, Asia Minor, Constantinople, and Smyrna. These communities had a substantial Greek population. In the 17th century there were 60 tekes (hashish smoking spots) in Constantinople. At this point the hashish sold in the tekes was made in Turkey not Greece.

This is simply not true, for one simple reason, the Ottoman Empire was first created by volunteers joining chess and caliphs on a faithful basis (thought by the non-believers), with the individual "states" retaining their commercial advantages (market autonomy). the Afghanistan and Lebanese to allow another to profit from their product, secondly to Islam, each opiate is strictly forbidden, even in the 16th Century, it has experienced the radicalization of Islam, opium and cannabis to be eradicated as they have done with the massive vines of wine turkey to east coast of middle sea.

After Greece was free is totally different story but this don't make their strains native or landrace even don't make them heirlooms.
I still wonder where is hash type plants or they grow sativas for hash?

therevverend

Veteran
This is simply not true

No it is true. This is from historical documents the 60 tekes were documented by an official. What I left out to save space, that wasn't many tekes. There were 1000 beer shops and 104 wine distributors. Getting wasted was important to the Ottomans. This stuff wasn't illegal or repressed, there's records from the Ottomans themselves and westerners.

From the 17th century to the hippy times in the 1960s Istanbul and Cairo were the two major hashish markets. The Ottomans were a huge multi-ethnic religiously diverse empire. Until 1920 there was a huge Greek population in areas that are now part of Turkey. Lots of Jews and Greeks in Istanbul. I'm sure plenty of Muslims were getting high but the Christians could do it guilt free. Let's also not forget Lebanon was part of the Ottoman Empire.

As was Egypt which has always been a huge hashish market. A lot of the hashish produced in Greece and Turkey was for export was to Egypt. And Egypt has always had it's own domestic production. Napoleon was horrified by how much hashish the Egyptians smoked.

As a recent example I've heard that before the 6 Day War there was a Mossad operation to allow Lebanese hashish to flow through Israel into Egypt. To make sure all the soldiers were good and baked before the battle started and would be caught by surprise.

The Ottomans made hashish illegal in 1890 but didn't enforce the law. It wasn't until the 1920s and the new Turkish state that there was an actual crackdown on hashish. Even then it's use has been tolerated by the local citizenry.

Cannabis users owe much to the Islamic world. While wine and beer are explicitly forbidden stuff like coffee and cannabis are not mentioned in the Koran. Depends on what sect you're in, who you're Iman is. Sufi sects to this day combine hashish use and religion, as they should it improves any religion. Historically Christians prefer wine and beer, Muslims prefer hashish and opium. And everyone smokes tobacco.

radicalization of Islam

You're thinking of Wahabism which is a relatively new phenomena. The US and UK put the Al Saud in power so they could extract the mineral wealth of Arabia. At the time there were something like 40,000 Wahabists. This was against the will of the majority of people in what is now Saudi Arabia.

With the massive amount of power and wealth that came from their Western allies the Saudis have spread Wahabism around the globe. They're investing billions building schools and mosques in places like Pakistan that used to be ganja friendly countries. My point being the Ottomans version of Islam was very different.

Of course there have always been crackdowns. In Egypt in the 12th and 13th century there was a place in Cairo called the Gardens of Cafour. It was a delightful place you could munch hashish treats (before they knew about smoking) and get wasted. It was destroyed by religious fundamentalists in 1251. In 1371 a dick named Emir Scheikhouni passed an edict that hashish eaters would get their teeth removed. The overall effect was that in the 1400s hashish was openly sold in the bazaars.

After Greece was free is totally different story but this don't make their strains native or landrace even don't make them heirlooms.

A hundred years is plenty of time for a strain to become a landrace. That's a hundred generations, cannabis changes very quickly. After 5 or 10 generations you'll see a big change in phenotypes in a new environment. Greece has been independent for a long time.

My gut feeling about these 'Greek landrace' strains people are growing. They probably aren't the old old hashplants from the 1860s. I think they're newer strains, probably from the 60s and 70s that hippies grew and bred with. That still makes them old school cannabis, worthy of keeping around. And probably heirloom, it's be a better term but everyone is using landrace now. And who knows what kind of genetics the hippies had to work with?

I still wonder where is hash type plants or they grow sativas for hash?

That's a great question it's been tossed around for a while. I've heard some of the Turkish strains were basically hemp plants that were stripped of their resin before making textiles. I don't think Greek hashish had a reputation for being super strong. Of course Lebanon is a boat ride away I'm sure Lebanese hash strains and hash making techniques were imported. The better stuff especially on the islands may have come from Lebanon or Egypt.

maimunji

Yes i found book in net sources said.
A 17th century historian, Eulogio Efendi, reports
that in Constantinople there were more than 1,000 beer shops and 104 wine distributors but only 60 places where hashish was sold and smoked. Thats only source and documents. You simply can google his name and will see what kind of history he write. And you will find nothing. Cool name between he have Eulegio but Efendi possible never exist. Other good source is of course Marco Polo he fight dragons and unicorns. Very trustfull source.
Turkish never smoke hash in the past my country was 500 under their slaves. I will say end.

R

red23

Greek Trip Landrace Sativa

Greek Trip Landrace Sativa

One of them:)

Attachments

• IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 26
R

red23

Trippy Greek Red Sativa

Trippy Greek Red Sativa

:)

Attachments

• IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 27

therevverend

Veteran
Cool name between he have Eulegio but Efendi possible never exist.

Efendi is a title the Turkish equivalent of Sir. So The guy's name was Sir Eulegio. Fairly common Turkish name.

Turkish never smoke hash in the past

You do realize the Turks are from Central Asia the land of cannabis? Uzbekistan, Turkestan, Kazakhstan, and part of Afghanistan are all Turkish. They've been growing and using cannabis for thousands of years. The Ottmans were probably using cannabis from the start, before they traveled west and likely brought it with them.

Before saying silly stuff do some research first. You can still get Turkish strains and Istanbul was on the Hippie Hashish trail and has always been a huge hashish market. You should watch Midnight Express you'd probably enjoy it especially because it's got mean Turks behaving badly.

therevverend

Veteran
I must say the amount of enmity among Balkan people (anyone see Trump piss off the Lithuanians by calling them Balkan instead of Baltic) to this day is impressive. The other day on another site this guy was talking about how rotten the Irish are, keeping their hate towards the British strong after hundreds of years. The Irish have nothing on SE Europe.

In this thread we've got Greeks dissing Bulgars and Bulgars dissing Greeks and Turks. And I've seen Greeks dissing Macedonians and Turks. I'm sure if there were more Turks we'd have them dissing everyone. And lets invite in a few Serbs, Albanians, and Bosnians to hear what they think.

With WW1 on the mind from Armistice day it's surprising that the Balkans only started one world war and not 3 or 4. Also surprising we've only had 2 or 3 genocides in the last 40 years. Damnit I forgot about Cyprus...

Makes America seem like a happy cuddly melting pot of racial harmony. Can't we all just Rodney King? Maybe we can start a take a Bulgar out to dinner and halva day? I guess it shows that cannabis can't heal all wounds it's been a big part of the culture of all these people for thousands of years. The irony is how similar these people are to an outsider, brothers and sisters.

Now that I think about it I remember that Bulgarians weren't originally from the Balkans. They came from the Pontic Steppe and were a mighty nation. Like the Scythians but they came later. They rode with Atilla the Hun, that was their first foray into the Balkans. Later they had a mighty king named Kubrat who forged an empire. He had 5 sons, the 3rd one decided to try his luck fighting the Byzantines, crossed the Danube and created a Bulgarian Empire becoming a pain in the ass to the Greeks.

Late Byzantine scholars recorded that the Bulgars used to be known by another name Onogurs. If you follow the linguistic history, how in Turkish Z becomes R you get Oghuz. Now the Oghuz had a leader named Osman 1 who decided to try his luck in Anatolia. He also became a pain in the ass to the Greeks..