What's new

Great Inline Fans

Cannabean

I just set up the td-200x 470 cfm by S&P. In this setup it is quieter than my previous valueline 4" 170 cfm fan w/o a duct silencer.

yes, the td200x 8" 470cfm s&p+ duct silencer is more quiet than the valueline 4" 170cfm without the silencer. I also wrapped it in a down comforter and can't hear it at all from outside the closet door. its perfect for high cfm closet setups. check it out.

Edit: here is a recording of the ambient noise of the fan after i set it all up.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W1XP9E5L
music in the beginning to give reference to how loud normal voice is. then i walk the microphone over to the closet door, hold it to the door, the thud you hear is the door opening and then I hold the microphone right next to the fan motor itself, then I move it over to intake of the silencer. I then walk out of the closet and put the microphone on my bed as the recording ends.

Its not audible 10 ft away where i sleep whereas the 4" valueline fan itself was.

Last edited:

petemoss

Cannabean,
Thanks for the pix and audio file. Took me a while, but I finally got it to play using Quicktime Player. I noticed that you're using the 8' S&P fan and muffler just to cool your light. Do you plan to add a carbon filter later? Seems to me that the 470 cfm fan is much too big for your light alone and you could adequately cool your light with just a small 4" S&P fan like I have (abt 90 cfm). You could prolly use the small fan without a muffler and it would be relatively quiet. Just a thought....doesn't take much to cool the light. Even a computer fan would do if you are just using it to cool the light IMO.

If stealth is important, I think you should start with as small a fan as you can to minimize the noise rather than using an oversized fan w/ speed control.

Last edited:

Cannabean

Not planning to get a carbon filter. Smell isn't an issue. The bigger fan isnt really for cooling the bulb, its to exchange the air in the room faster. I cooled 800w just fine with a 4" valuline. The problem was with the size of my room, 170cfm didnt exchange enough air for a 4x8x8 space.
Ill have 800w hps for flowering so it will still be overkill for light cooling but just right for the size of my room.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Can someone explain what the relationship between the cfm the fan and filter need to have?

For instance, if my grow space is 34cf, what is a good cfm for the fan and filter?

The S&P 4" looks to have two speeds and moves 101/97 cfm, and this site says the CAN 2600 processes 94cfm and the 9000 118cfm. I don't know if that's the right ratio, or if those filters are crap or pretty good but the prices are definitely right at $49 and $59 here and they are under 12lbs. http://www.gchydro.com/CAN+Activated+Carbon+Filter.html

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cannabean

VirginHarvester:
It is advised not to allow fan cfm to be greater than the cfm your carbon filter is rated for. It will be inefficient and also cause your carbon filter to need to be replaced more often than necessary.

The s&p TD100x operates at 100/135cfm low/high. For your size room I would pair the TD100x wired on the low setting(100cfm) with the CAN9000(118 cfm).
Good luck!

Dr Watt

Who What
I had two S&P TD 150's running for 3 years and now have a TD 200. Excellent fans. I don't reckon any difference between metal or plastic blades. They can easily handle the Carbon Filter's Static Presssure (CanFan specs state .75 at max cfm). IMO the 200 wired on Lo does much better than its specs of 40cfm @.75staticpressure (i doubt that much resistance is being imposed). I use a fan speed control running at 1/3 speed and ran the 150's at 80%. You don't need to run the fan full bore and slowing it down cuts out noise big time - so by far the most noise is from air running thourgh the CarbonFilter :joint:

Johnstreet, what fan controller are you using? I have the 200x and the fan controller is practically useless. It makes a huge clicking noise that is twice as loud as the fan itself. The same fan controller works just fine with my 6" vortex..

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Cannabean said:
The s&p TD100x operates at 100/135cfm low/high. For your size room I would pair the TD100x wired on the low setting(100cfm) with the CAN9000(118 cfm).
Good luck!

Thanks Cannabean, I might just get those two. I'm pretty sure it's enough movement if I'm using a 250w setup but wonder if anyone has an opinion if those two together would provide enough cooling in the DR80(33cf) with a 400w bulb and an extra circulation fan in the tent?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
get a ostberg / hurricane / eclipse inline fan ( all under the same name)

they are made in sweden, i think 10 year warranty, and QUALITY. loud but for the same noise they pull so much more air, the 6" pulls 600 cfm, while elicent 6" pulls 450.

Dr Watt

Who What
Reflections on the Soler&Palau (S&P) TD series having less torque - as stated above they can handle carbon filter resistance easily. CanFan state this resistance is .75 static pressure. The TD specifications state these mixflow fans struggle badly at .75 but I've found they easily work so I think the carbon filter resistance is much lower than .75.

The TD mixflow whine and then stop moving air when there is a blockage. I'd say this happens when go below 3'' ducting for the TD150mm(6") TD200mm (8'') or equivalent like a number of hairpin bends. The CanFan or S&P PV series are stronger under pressure so I'd guess they'd make slightly more noise under normal use :joint:

U

UBER21

Im looking at the 6in model would it be to strong to filter properly thru a can 33......the lowest cfm setting on the 6in Hvac is like 218cfm....the can 33 is rated for max cfm of 200??

Dr Watt

Who What
Can33 min 100cfm to max 200cfm (~160m3h>350m3h cmh=.6cfm) - so you can a 218cfm fan. Of course lots more noise than using can50 min cfm210 - the 50 is two 33. With the 33 I'd guess you could even do 300cfm but you'd get less odor eradication and the filter would wear out quicker (believe they last 18 months continuous use) :joint:

G

I know this isn't ideal but........

Can one of these fans push through a carbon filter? My only real option is to put the filter and fan under the house. I'm dealing with a 4x2 closet. I was thinking of a home made cool tube (400 watt) in the closet but perpendicular to the closet (as in pointing at you when you open the door)

Then the insulated duct would go from the cool tube to the floor into the crawlspace, connect to the fan then out through the carbon scrubber. Would these mixed vent fans be able to handle this? I know its better to suck through a filter but my research has shown that you can also blow through one if you have to but it's not as good for the filter and takes a good fan.

So I guess my question is which of these fans (if any) can do this? The light will be a 400 watt. I've read of people doing this with a vortex but not these.

Thanks in advance.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
You're correct, it's not ideal but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do and MANY growers do push through their filters.

G

So do you think I could use the 135 cfm 4 inch S&P or will the 400 hps take a 6 inch fan? The prices aren't that much more to get the 6 but I wanted 4 inch ducting to save space in the closet.

Cannabean

JackPackage said:
So do you think I could use the 135 cfm 4 inch S&P or will the 400 hps take a 6 inch fan? The prices aren't that much more to get the 6 but I wanted 4 inch ducting to save space in the closet.

The 135cfm s&p will cool your 400w just fine, however most hoods have 6" duct. It would probably be less hassle to just go with the 6" s&p fan so you don't have to buy 4"-6" adapters.
Doesn't hurt to go bigger than necessary(to an extent) in fans and will make upgrading or adding more lights less trouble.
If you want an exact answer, are you solely using the fan to cool the 400w or will it also be blowing air out of the cab? If so, what are the dimensions of your cab?

edit: sorry I didn't see your previous post. Both the 4" or 6" will be fine in your 4x2 cab, however remember to size up your carbon filter if you size up the fan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts