What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Great Inline Fans

Bumble Buddy

Thanks petemoss for the mixvent fan info, you are one of the few posters who has tried these out. I'm still wondering about the noise level of the whooshing air though, my ~120 CFM fans produce quite a whoosh!

I'm sort of surprised that using a speed controller with the inline didn't help (much?) with the noise FreezerBoy, and yea I was following along and noted your silencing mods in that awesome thread of your freezer grow.

Yes Cannabean, that diagram is the same construction as my Panasonic WhisperLine model FV-10NLF1 (120 CFM). It is good solid construction IMO. I've had no problems with it running 24/7 pulling through a carbon filter for the past 6 months. I'm going to build an exhaust muffler for it soon...

It is so hard to quantify/describe the sound levels these fans make... I've got a Fantech FX4 inline centrifugal that has very similar air moving specifications to the Panasonic (except it uses about half the power), if I put the Fantech in an insulated box (slightly larger than the Panasonic outer casing) it makes roughly about the same amount of noise as the Panasonic; by far the most noise they both make is the sound from the whooshing air (which like FreezerBoy mentioned is quite alarming compared to most normal household items, like a computer or refrigerator for instance).

Cannabean

the 4" 139cfm fantech makes creates 3.8 sones at .5 static pressure.
the 6" 340cfm whisperline creates 1.7 sones at .2 static pressure.

I currently have a canfan 4" 170cfm pullin air through two 400w hoods from intake under a door...and I can't have it much louder than it is now.

I realize most of the noise comes from the air movement so Ill have to make a silencer or something.

but i use 4x4 of a 4x8x8' closet, 800w, two hoods. do I upgrade to 6" 240cfm whisperline or 6" 340 cfm whisperline?

What about an intake? would I be able to cut some drywall out of the wall near the door and add an intake vent which would allow me to seal off the door and help the noise problem.

jarff

I,m runnin 2 six inch s&P Mixvent and I think they are great.Been usin,for about two yrs and no probs.I get both of em on Ebay..( brand new in the box for $51 ea.) that was a steal...I have a Grotek 6" Hurricane and the S&P are quieter and stronger...Also have an 8" Vortex which of course is a quality one...but I do think SP will outlast any of them IMHO......For the most part the SP are best bang for your buck as they are relatively cheap to buy...
jarff

Cannabean

Jarff, what size bulbs are you venting with the s&p's? have they ever auto-shutoff from high temps before? It says it will shut off at 104° for the 6", the model I'm interested in too and venting 800w with it I worry...

thanks for the info.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
DrBudGreengenes said:
i dont think so man, i got my 8" canmax for $50 less then there 8" and my max give more cfm.
the S&P fans are AWSOME, ive had a 4" for 4years w/no problems and a 6" for 3 years without issue either. the 6" airflow is sick its only 312 cfm but ive blown through 3 and 4 hoods with 2-4 K + 7 or 8 elbows and a good 20-30 ft of duct with minimal airflow loss.

the canmax fans are just sick, a bit too powerful, mine rattles alot, but for the size/volume it moves i just dont care. its very well designed its even self-cooling.

best 226 i ever spent.

*edit
Cannabean said:
that tidbit about S&P shutting off at 104° turned me off them immediatlly but some of their larger models have metal blades and housing...nothing on the whisperline has any info about temperature so I emailed them. awaiting reply.

you dont need a reply, ive never had mine shut down with anything less then 175-200(estimate but it was hand-burning hot) but they have enough omph sucking isnt the best option, the heat kills fans and thats a fact, its not worth the super tiny gain in cfm.

Last edited:

Cannabean

Thanks for the info DH, my grow doesn't require even the smallest can max fan but those sure look nice. I was interested in s&p but don't really have a way to mount it to push the air. I'm in a predicament trying to use only 4x4 of a 4x8 closet while keeping the noise and humidity down...since my bed isn't far away.

still undecided on a fan, thinkin the whisperline 6" 340cfm. I need at least 300cfm from a rather light fan mounted on sheetrock that is very quiet...Ill probably need to make/buy an intake muffler huh?

here is what panasonic said about the whisperlines:
--
Thank you for your inquiry. Our in line fans should not be installed
where the air temperature may exceed 140 degrees Fahrenheit. This would
the measurement of the air moving through the fan and ducting.
We hope this information is helpful to you.
Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support
--

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Cannabean said:
Thanks for the info DH, my grow doesn't require even the smallest can max fan but those sure look nice. I was interested in s&p but don't really have a way to mount it to push the air. I'm in a predicament trying to use only 4x4 of a 4x8 closet while keeping the noise and humidity down...since my bed isn't far away.

still undecided on a fan, thinkin the whisperline 6" 340cfm. I need at least 300cfm from a rather light fan mounted on sheetrock that is very quiet...Ill probably need to make/buy an intake muffler huh?

here is what panasonic said about the whisperlines:
--
Thank you for your inquiry. Our in line fans should not be installed
where the air temperature may exceed 140 degrees Fahrenheit. This would
the measurement of the air moving through the fan and ducting.
We hope this information is helpful to you.
Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support
--
get the S&P 6" then, its quiet enough to sleep with, provides more then 300 cfm and looks a bit cheaper then the whisper...i used to sleep with my S&P 6 running and its just a slight whirr.. like a box-fan on 1.

Cannabean

DIGITALHIPPY said:
get the S&P 6" then, its quiet enough to sleep with, provides more then 300 cfm and looks a bit cheaper then the whisper...i used to sleep with my S&P 6 running and its just a slight whirr.. like a box-fan on 1.

But I will have to set it up so it pushes/blows the air through the hoods correct?...because of the 104 degree shutoff thing.

Cannabean

I just saw a post by user FullMetalJacket from gc.com forums that seems relevant:

--------
FullMetalJacket (05-25-2008, 11:53 PM):
I have the 240 whisper for my server cabinet but these new S&P fans 8" 478 cfm are quieter and cheaper. I retuened my whispers that i ordered for my grow cabinet and did the wole thing with these. Get a speedster speed controller though to adjust the cfm.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/p.../3197?osCsid=413ca03b8fa9056ab2f5cdb98c83b55b

look for:

SOLAR & PALAU TD - MIXVENT BLOW FANS TD 200X - POLYPROPOLENE HO (model i use which pushes 478 cfm and is rated really good as far as static pressure is concerened.)
for $130

read more:

http://www.hvacquick.com/catalog_fi...alog.pdf?PHPSESSID=j1u6lpnqedt1u5r3rlcseln0i0

---------
The 8" model s&p he's referring to has the metal build (instead of the plastic blades/etc of the 6" model s&P) and can handle 140° air the panasonic rep told me the whispers could handle.

Seems logical to go wtih an 8" 478cfm fan reduced with a speed controller rather than a whisperline 6" 240cfm that is louder and more expensive? right??

Last edited:

Bumble Buddy

Yeah Cannabean, I think (though I'm not certain about all contingencies) that generally a larger fan running at a slower RPM will produce less noise than a smaller high RPM fan moving the same volume of air.

I'd also like to encourage you to try out the mixvent fan simply for the selfish reason that I'd like to see more feedback on them. :muahaha:

I've got an old 8" Fantech centrifugal up in my swamp cooler that works great but makes a huge jet engine noise, I'm really curious to see how one of the big S&P's would do up there.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Cannabean said:
But I will have to set it up so it pushes/blows the air through the hoods correct?...because of the 104 degree shutoff thing.
they dont shut off at 104.....
but running hot air through the thing isnt smart, burning the fan out 3 years early DOESNT justify the extra bit of effeciancy via-pulling. if anything upgrade to ridged ducting and that will give more gain then all the pulling around.

i just came to the conclusion ive been doing this 'gig' for more years then i remember and i STILL have the same great S&P fan. my 4" S&P is 5 Y old+...

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Cannabean said:
I just saw a post by user FullMetalJacket from gc.com forums that seems relevant:

--------
FullMetalJacket (05-25-2008, 11:53 PM):
I have the 240 whisper for my server cabinet but these new S&P fans 8" 478 cfm are quieter and cheaper. I retuened my whispers that i ordered for my grow cabinet and did the wole thing with these. Get a speedster speed controller though to adjust the cfm.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/p.../3197?osCsid=413ca03b8fa9056ab2f5cdb98c83b55b

look for:

SOLAR & PALAU TD - MIXVENT BLOW FANS TD 200X - POLYPROPOLENE HO (model i use which pushes 478 cfm and is rated really good as far as static pressure is concerened.)
for $130

read more:

http://www.hvacquick.com/catalog_fi...alog.pdf?PHPSESSID=j1u6lpnqedt1u5r3rlcseln0i0

---------
The 8" model s&p he's referring to has the metal build (instead of the plastic blades/etc of the 6" model s&P) and can handle 140° air the panasonic rep told me the whispers could handle.

Seems logical to go wtih an 8" 478cfm fan reduced with a speed controller rather than a whisperline 6" 240cfm that is louder and more expensive? right??
wow man good S&P catalog, that stuff is great.
TBH thoes whisperfans look big and clunky... :laughing:

Bumble Buddy said:
Yeah Cannabean, I think (though I'm not certain about all contingencies) that generally a larger fan running at a slower RPM will produce less noise than a smaller high RPM fan moving the same volume of air.

i'd really like to know about this, as i am moving from a 175W MH to a 250 HPS digital ballast and i am looking for between 100 and 150 CFM of airflow. i want to do it delux instead of the ghetto box i have right now...

would buying a 300 CFM fan and putting it on low be quieter than the
"Suncourt Inline Centrifugal Fan for 4" Duct"
111$ is a sweet price for inline centrifugal from what i've seen.
http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php?product=112179

Cannabean

So I just emailed S&P to find out what the differences are between the two very similar 8" S&P models TD-200 and TD-200x.

-------------
Hi -----,
thank you for your interest in our TD-200 and TD-200X fans. The big difference between the 2 is that the 200 has a metal blade and the 200x has a plastic blade. Depending on what type of installation you have some people have a preference for one over the other. They are both similar air flow with the 200x having slightly better static pressure performance. Please let me know if you need any additional information.
best regards,
Soler & Palau USA
-------------

It looks like the TD-200 has metal blades, higher initial cfm for both high/low settings, but mediocre static pressure performace.
The TD-200x has plastic blades, lower initial cfm for high/low, but much better static pressure performance + $10 more than td200.

I specifically asked which one was noisier but she didn't answer that. I assume the TD200x will be less noise though because of the plastic blades and lower initial cfm...and I'd rather have better static pressure than initial cfm.

So I'm getting the s&p TD-200x 8" 478/419 cfm model.

thanks for all the help and info yall. ill update with pics and review when i get it.

Last edited:
I have the TD-200x. I haven't used it yet, but I can tell you that it is more quiet than my 6" vortex. I can't wait to use it. It's also more practical and easier to fit than my vortex is. Both are great though...

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
try googling-products the part number, or just go to a local hydrostore.
or go to S&P's website and looking for a reseller you can trust/local/web whatever your criteria.