What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Great Inline Fans

G

grow nerd

All I can say is that my Can-Fan Max-Fan 12" (mixed-flow 1700cfm) seems to pull a lot harder than a Vortex 12" (centrifugal 1140cfm). It is more than 2x the RPM, though.

Can't say the same about the Max-Fan 14" (about the same 1700cfm). Much lower RPM.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I have a cap 8inch 745 cfm, and S&P 150, the s&p is cooling 2 hoods with 2k. Not quite enough but it's good enough for now.

Grownerd, I'm looking at the maxfan 10 today........ really a well built unit. My next fan, I'm sure.

Smiley

I've been using the CAP/Valueline 8" 745cfm fan 24-7 for a year and a half now. It draws across 4 1K lights (2 rows of 2) and a CAN150. It cools all 4 hoods cold, and has enough left to suck passive air from under the house. This one fan cools the 4K room (magnetic ballasts IN the room) with no AC. It has always been running at partial speed with the cheap controller.

I bought another one, and it alone is cooling my new 6K room, lights and all (again, drawing cold air from under house).

Not the quietest at medium/low speeds with the cheap speed control, but i KNOW it works, and it's close to $100 less than other brand 8" fans.

vecker

Hello all,

Thanks for creating, posting on this thread. A lot of 'noobs' (myself included) need help/advise in the realm of ventilation.

I'm using a DR80, which has just over 5 inch ports for exhaust/intake, making a 6inch Vortex too big for it (especially if you want to use insulated ducting - like I do).

So I went and bought a 4 inch Vortex last week - "oh, what a pleasant surprise. This thing is louder than my 6 inch Vortex" ( when controlled down some), even when IT is controlled down some. They have the same dB rating. Ahhh - no, it's louder in my opinion, probably due to it pushing air through a 2inch smaller opening. *frustration*

I'm thinking about the S&P TD 125, 5 inches - perfect for the port size on the DR80. BTW, this is for a Veg tent which will only have maybe 4 to 8 two foot T5's or T8's, or some sort of CFL setup. At very most it will have 1 250 watt MH.

Would anyone have any advice on the TD 125 as opposed to the Vortex 4inch jetpack?

Funny when I started 'planning', noise wasnt a huge concern for me - didn't realize how loud all this crap is.
Had to return a GH dual diaphragm air pump, which claims - and I quote - "Extremely Quiet" - *ahembullshit* for this noise reason.

Rant period concluded.
Thanks for any tips guys AND gals.

Peace.

PS. how many posts before one can PM other - just outta 'kuraositay'?
I have the S&P 125 in my ngb cab. I have a 250w hps in the flower chamber and the chamber is 24"x30"x48" and the fan does its job but it does struggle as freezerboy said (+8 ambient). It also has to cool the mom/veg chamber whick has 8 24" t5 strips, but it gets it done. For your setup I think you'd be fine.

I

Inspired333

Hey - that's actually a pretty good idea there cravin. Installing a vent louver. Looks can be deceiving, and in this case the goal IS deception, right?

I'll think about that, at least as a short term.

Nice.

EDIT: Thanks to vecker, as well, for the response. And others.

I also didn't mention this - but I have not yet hooked up a filter, muffler (I have 2, an 8inch, and a 6inch - as my ambitions surpassed reality when I bought them), or even ducting to it yet. So to be fair, it's loud yes, but it should get more quiet with those additions..I hope. The noise from it now is with it slowed down as much as the speed control will allow though, not too encouraging.

In case anybody's wondering, my 6inch Vortex slowed down and with a muffler and ducting alone (no scrubber) was/and is pretty damn bearable. I was surprised. I'll have to live with the 4inch for now. As my next few purchases will have to be lights. Down the road I'd really like to try the S&P 125 (5inch) though. And when I do - best believe I'll weigh in on it and give my thoughts about sound levels. I really believe moving air through a larger diameter opening with larger ducting (ie 5 vs 4 inch) will make a good difference.

Peace.

Last edited:

Panoramical

I'm finding it tough to get my head around all this....

My main concern is stealth, so sound and smell, which is why I've chosen to pick a fan first, then build a box it can "handle".

I want to use this fan because of it's 14dB sound level when run at 2100rpm. It's the quietest I've found.

It has a rating of 130m3/h (76.5cfm) @ 2100rpm. I'll attach it to a scrubber for obvious reasons, but how much will this affect the fan's cfm? For lighting I'll be using CFLs, 40-60W or 55W PLLs.

Please give me any tips or links that may help me straighten out my ideas.

the gnome

Veteran
I bought an elicent 6" inline, its extremely quiet.
on hi you dont hear the fan,
the air makes more noise than the fan.
i have 2 1000w on cooltubes and you a speed controller.
and I average 70-80% power on the controller

Cannabean

I'm finding it tough to get my head around all this....

My main concern is stealth, so sound and smell, which is why I've chosen to pick a fan first, then build a box it can "handle".

I want to use this fan because of it's 14dB sound level when run at 2100rpm. It's the quietest I've found.

It has a rating of 130m3/h (76.5cfm) @ 2100rpm. I'll attach it to a scrubber for obvious reasons, but how much will this affect the fan's cfm? For lighting I'll be using CFLs, 40-60W or 55W PLLs.

Please give me any tips or links that may help me straighten out my ideas.

Hi Panoramical,
That is a great fan, I wish I could find those TD-silent fans in the USA!!
Anyway, I have a td-200x and found that the motor noise is increased when I added a carbon filter (resistance = noise). The increase in noise may be less for stronger fans with high torque (vortex, elicient) but you sacrafice initial noise if going with those.

My first thought is get a fan that will easily vent your grow space on the LOW setting. If the td160silent still accomplishes this, then get it. I use a td-100x to vent a 2x4x4 veg tent with 500w of t5 in it (4ft 6 bulb and 2ft 6bulb) on high (130 cfm) and no scrubber. It is not insulted and makes very little noise. If you insulated it properly (see my previous posts in this thread) you shouldn't have ANY noise issues, even with a scrubber. For that size tent you should be OK using an Organic Air charcoal filter for the smell, in which case I don't think it'll add much resistance to your fan and thus won't increaes the noise very much.
To make sure its 100% quiet, built a completly enclosed wood box/house for the fan to sit in and then suspend that box with bungies. Id be suprised if you heard anything at all.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I bought an elicent 6" inline, its extremely quiet.

I had the 4". At the time, the quietest inline centrifugal available. With speed control, fan isolation, muffler and insulated duct, it could be heard at my neighbors door across the street more than 100 feet away if my garage door were open. It completely destroyed any and all sense of stealth. The only local familiar with my grow, upon entering the garage, took all of two seconds to demand, "What the HELL is that noise?!!"

If you can lock it behind closed doors where no one will ever enter, it can be tamed. If you're "hiding in plain sight" as I do, it's useless.

KolorBlind

I Use a TD-100x

I Use a TD-100x

Hey everyone

I know the thread is a bit old, but I felt like adding my 2 cents as an owner of a TD-100x for the last 2 years or so. I had originally bought it to mount to the backside of a minifridge that I ran a single 150w HPS in and it exceeded every expectation, if only my scrubber had done the same :(

Once I realized the potential, I quickly snagged a 250w HPS and put her to work exhausting my closet. I have it hanging from bungees in the attic pulling air out through the ceiling of the closet. I have done a couple runs, each time working my way up to a 250w HPS and my 150W HPS along side it. For the last run all I had was the 2 HID bulbs, but now I have tricked the closet out a bit more and added a veg shelf with three 42w CFLs and two 23w CFLs on 24/7. Now the 42w CFLs only get used for about a week or so once clones have rooted then back to only two 23w for my moms. When I take clones, a single 23w CFL goes over them till they root.

With all lights on, my flower temps hover around 82-84 and in my veg are the temps are almost always 1 degree higher. I pull air from a seperate room through the wall, up through the flower area into the veg, through there into a utility are with ballasts, cords, etc. and then out. I have a homemade scrubber that works like a DREAM!! Found the DIY here on ICMAG, along the same lines as what Freezerboy uses.

As soon as the funds are available, I will be upgrading to the TD-150. I will never get rid of the TD-100x as long as it is working, it is SOOOOO quiet!! I may use it for a drying cab, or another side project or something. Hell i could even use it to cool the lights and use the TD-150 to scrub the air.

My point is this, if you get your ventilation right, these S&P fans will do amazing things. As Freezerboy once stated, the only quiet fan is one that is not on. Fans will hum lightly at the least, and the sound of whooshing air can sometimes be even louder. There are so many DIYs out there for duct mufflers and combined with building an insulated wooden box for the fan itself, these can be made practically silent!

If sound is an issue for you, the S&P line is what you need to research first. If you have 2 1000w HPS in an apartment and want a fan that will do the trick yet not be heard by anyone, what you need is a firm slap in the face, not a better fan. People have to be realistic with their assumptions of fan noise vs. the amount of heat and/or air needing to be expelled. Keep it small, keep it quiet, keep it forever...

KB

gus738

That with insulated ducting, fan isolation box and muffler ... don't get me started ...

My axial's been running nearly non-stop for 15 years. Time to be thinking of a new fan and I thought the Whisperline might be it ... :badday:

15 years freezerboy? are they s & p? i too am looking at fans i need intake & exhaust . bare minimum i need 2 . i live in a condo so i dont want my neighbor saying he cant sleep . but i also need air exchanging without stressing plants out .

Mont@n@

I know is a old thread but this video change my mind of upgrading my td-150

[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQ12ePYx74[/YOUTUBEIF]

Latest posts

Latest posts