What's new

Grapefruit Fly Test Thread

R

ranneG

wow RM things are really taking off, and they look happy. How do you target pollinate bags, paintbrush or ?

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use a paintbrush. I dont like using bags, ive had it get to humid using the bags causing pollination issues before. I usually spray the hell out of the room and the tents with water before I pollinate as well as most of the plant i will hit and have the fans off. I spray down the air and everything afterward too.I cover up the whole plant with a shower curtain leaving only a single branch exposed. i usually get little or no pollen drift doing it this way.
Another method one can employ for just getting a few seeds, like 50 or so is to flower out a female when its just a small rooted clone and grow a lolipop plant. it takes very little space and works great. You can do the same with males as well. this might appeal to those with little to no extra space for a pollination tent.
RM

F

farmerred

That's a great way to use pollen! Steamy bags make me sad, almost as sad as seeds where you don't want them. Those babes are gonna make it. And look good doing it.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
Thanks for the pollen painting tips RM!!! I will use those methods in the near future when i decide to make some beans. Is there any smell coming from the ladies yet?

R

ranneG

Thx for the input RM. Brushing seems to be the easiest way, but it could be fun to try out a microgrow pollination staight from clones. Peace stay safe

Retardo Motabon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like the brush too.
i'm playing around with micropollinations
right now...kinda.
I have to get rid of all the cuts lying around and some i wanted to pollinate.
I placed 4 cuts in a single container big enough for the group but small enough to contain. (3 gallon pot with 6-8" clones.) I chose 4 that would get pollinated by the same male so i wouldnt have to worry about pollen drift. All I need to do is sprinkle it with the male and put it in a big cardboard box with small fan for the dark period that night. When done, there should be at least 30 seeds on each cut. Plenty for most folks just trying to make a few seeds. If one knew the flowering times for both male and females, you could plant the male right in with the ladies. The size of the cuts shouldnt matter as long as they are well rooted and mature. mature as in its been around awhile. Often plants dont reach their full maturity when they are put into flower from seed, and cuts taken from said plant will not be fully mature either when taken. A good reason why many folks don't choose their keepers until a couple rounds of growing the plant.
(That being said, any seeds I send in as freebies or server auctions are not produced in this fashion. They are from full plant pollinations;)
RM

Retardo Motabon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You bet LSK! So many people say they would like to make their own seed for the future but dont have the space. Thats the beauty of gardening! There are countless ways to get things accomplished with success for one's personal situation whether its room setup, type of lighting, medium, etc...its all dynamic and adaptable to one's environment.
rm

Retardo Motabon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Allrighty, I finally got all the Grapefruit Flies under the 1k.
Its a tight squeeze in there so the pics are loosely taken this week.
the male fizzled out and i may scrape a few particles of pollen but I'm not counting on it. These girls have but this one life to live I guess.
I'll try to make sure they enjoy it!:party:
Grapefruit Fly (16 days or so into 12/12)

A runtier one first!

picture.php

A little closer in:
picture.php

now we breathe out!
picture.php

Some random shots of the ladies:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Until next time, live good.
RM

S

Seismic

Hell yeah RM, the ladies are looking way healthy as usual. Now the fun part starts:joint: Take care bro, and talk soon.

S

Seismic

I like watching your grows, your love for the plant always shows through:joint: Hit me up with an update dude, been wondering if things worked out for ya. Take care.

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
well well..things have moved along since i last looked...im sure that 1k of light will get things pumping along nicely ....looking good RM.HH. =]-~

Retardo Motabon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update got deleted from the card yesterday unfortunately.:nono:
All edited and ready to load, oh well. I'll try and at least get a few pics up before the weekend.
RM:xmasnut:

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
haha happens to all of us at one point or another RM....lookin forward to seeing the pics though. Good vibez

Retardo Motabon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, a few days of things not going right and general clumsiness here! I lost a buncha other pics too but they'll only have more flowers when i snap em again!:xmasnut:
rm

Retardo Motabon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I want to send my best thoughts and prayers out to Graceweed during this most difficult of times.:grouphug:

Here are some redo pics taken today.
Grapefruit Fly:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:peppermintstick:
picture.php

I'm noticing general yellowing bottom up and ready to show at some upper fans. Trying to figure out if its from the soil being a little heavy and poor root balls or if I just need to boost their food.
They are all running off around 6.1 - g.3 pH and 1400-1500ppms.
just speculating for now, as I cant do much till the soil dries out again.:xmasnut: hope all are well out there!
RM

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn looking good RM bro nice job..!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts