What's new

'Goldfinger' - Malawi Gold X Flo

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Lovely! The purpling's more pronounced on yours than mine was at eight weeks - maybe it's a little cooler at night where you are? I just had a very early test-smoke, and it's delicious - though it won't be at it's best for a week or so yet at least.

indifferent

Veteran
My temps currently are about 18 during lights out and 22 during lights on so it might be a factor. I need to take her out and take some better pics.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well the Goldfinger is dry now, and I have to say, it's the best yet. Absolutely gorgeous smell and flavour - floral, earthy, spicy, fruity and berry all rolled into one, and the high is sublime - smoothly stimulating, and tending toward the psychedelic - just how I like it. The yield wasn't bad - I got 39 grams of dry trimmed bud, which is fine for a small plant, and bodes well for an suitably sunny outdoor grow where it can really stretch out. I'm rather proud of this one...:)

indifferent

Veteran
Here's the better pics I promised of my Goldfinger at 60 days, I had to train her as she really stretched out early in flower, so she has a fairly flat top. I did prune off some of the lower branches, but not enough as she has many smaller buds down below, the smell is amazing, a rich, dark earthy berry, reminds me of warm blackcurrant jam, resin is becoming very nice too. This plant likes to grow lots of small buds all over the place so would be a perfect SCROG plant. Next time I run her it will be with a small screen attached to her pot and I will SCROG her.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Lovely mate - really nice plant, and quite fat buds too! You'll be pleased to know I caused some chaos with that stuff tonight - some hysterical laughter from some, which is rare these days! The other great thing about it is that it not only dries quickly, but it takes so little time to taste good, and get strong! I'm sure it's great cured, but I never make it, and I don't mind...:)

That said, it got absolutely hammered this weekend - I may have overdone it a little if I'm to make this last long...:(

indifferent

Veteran
Hysterical laughter eh? I'm really looking forward to sampling mine, if she takes 12 weeks then I have 3.5 weeks left to wait, and if she tastes like she smells, she will be delicious indeed!

I reckon if a plant tastes damn good freshly dried, it will be flippin amazing after a cure.

Great work on this pheno mate, a really good plant in many ways!

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Are all the Goldfinger reports on here breeding projects or some of original Goldfinger seeds that I'm assuming were once available? I've always wanted Flo and Malawi but combined would be all the better.

I hope someone gets a version down to a reasonable flower time then some beans come available. :)

indifferent

Veteran
Goldfinger is 100% the work of Elevator Man, it is a cross of Malawy Gold to Flo. Considering the Malawi is a full-on equatorial sativa that takes 15-16 weeks indoors I think 12 weeks for this pheno is reasonable, there were faster phenos but they weren't as desirable as this one. Creative, inspiring, soaring, long lasting 'thrill ride' type highs aren't to be found from plants with short flower times, 12 weeks is pretty much as fast as can be expected for this type of high imho.

TheBEAK

Awsome work man:)

Too bad it's not legal, as it would be a lot easier to share work of this quality, if there were no risks involved with giving your address to other growers.

Will this hybrid ever be available to the people of IC-Mag through freebies, Seedbay or anything else?
I'm thinking of getting some Mango Haze beans, but if Goldfinger becomes available in any form, I'd go for that instead.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I agree that around 12 weeks is to be expected, if you want this kind of high.

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for the kind comments folks - I do plan to get some quantities of these made eventually, but bearing in mind I'm only just learning to breed, in a rented apartment, there's only so much I can do. That said, I know what I'm looking for in a male now, and the F1s are stable enough to find another good one fairly quickly - I've almost finished my isolation chamber, so could get that project moving again quite soon.

I wouldn't say there was any great skill involved so far though - maybe some inspired guesswork, but using Flo as the male partner would have similar results with most long-flowering sativas, I would have thought. Given its high is so clear, and is passed on so easily as a trait, the short-flowering time and indica structure are a joy to introduce into a strain like Malawi Gold, as the undesirable traits of that strain (leafy, long flowering time, light fluffy buds) are much reduced, almost automatically.

From this:

To this:

Last edited:

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice work EM! 'Goldfinger' looks a beauty. She's still looks Malawi but much nicer nuggets.Flo did the buisness methinks. When I was in Africa I always found the fresh cobs were some very giggly weed...has some of that high come through in the mix? JBo

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well I don't giggle that much on my own, but in good company, it's hilarious. Just had one for breakfast, and climbing rapidly...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
It's quite clear when you see them next to each other, eh? It's so lovely I can't stop smoking it, but I'm going to regret it when it's gone.

Just in time though, there's something really special - a ten-week-plus Flo. Or another of my MoFlo incrosses anyway. That gets chopped tomorrow, and looks really promising - especially in terms of a possible incross to a new Goldfinger male...:chin:

indifferent

Veteran
I'd love to see the 10 week Flo, sounds special indeed as the purple and green phenos I've tried before were both stunning with oh so special tastes and highs, one of the very best imho, easy to see why it's DJ's favourite.

I removed some of the lowest tiny popcorn buds for a shady sample smoke at 70 days and wowser, the taste and high are both already stunning, I can only imagine how nice it's gonna be in two more weeks when it's ready, and it's potent already at 10 weeks, very much so, a really uplifting soaring high, I love it and have already decided it's gonna stay in my garden for a while, I have established a nice mother.

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Hey Eman...had to chop that Flo on Sunday due to mold...it hung on though for about 75days...low yield...pink...hmm...high resin...

indifferent

Veteran
Sounds like the same pheno we have hummus, small but tight nuggets that have some pink and purple hues and lots of resin, I reckon you will enjoy her very much!

Last edited: