What's new

'Goldfinger' - Malawi Gold X Flo

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
camacho31 - thanks for the new pics, and great to see them in sunlight. I definitely recognise the leaf-shape in the first two pics. The last photo looks to be a different pheno, possibly closer to the one I'm running outdoors right now:

The pheno I have indoors (pictured last week) looks and smells incredible, and is very different to all the others I've had so far - it's now approaching eight weeks, and I'm seeing purple calyxes developing - along with the most amazing smell, which is 'usual Goldfinger' + Blackurrant! If that continues to develop, this could be my favourite ever pheno - I suspected it might be! More pics of that one asap...

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Edit- I see where it lowered by 4-5 weeks. That's awesome.

So I'm trying to understand this progression. Are you trying to produce f2s of your "new" strain Goldfinger? To do this you find the mothers and fathers of the two strains and cross them(f1s?), then grow out the cross and pick moms and dads from those and cross them to create f2s?

Did you get to smoke some of your original cross and did the high seem like a blend of both Malawi and Flo?

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Yeah, high-wise it's a perfect mix of the two. Structurally it leans a little more toward the Malawi at F1 but that's to be expected, being a long-flowering landrace. And yes, the plan described is accurate - the only downside being the best Goldfinger male ended up with my friend for space reasons, and the pollen he collected doesn't seem to be that viable. So this is taking longer than planned, but if this current mother turns out as good as I hope, I'll germ some more seeds for a new male asap!

eskimo

Veteran
Elevator Man said:
Not sure on the pollen-taking yet - the pistils have certainly withered, but no definitive calyx-swelling yet - I'll update as and when I know for sure.

First - here's a peculiar little thing. This is a test-plant of Goldfinger X MoFlo. It has a bit of an unreliable history, as I gave some seeds to a friend who grew out one good female. I then got a clone back from him which was virtually dead, and spent three months coaxing it back to life before putting it into flower.

It wasn't really properly out of veg, and so ended up a little 'stumpy' to say the least. Also the smell and overall appearance is somewhat different to his plant, which is puzzling me, and making me a tad nervous about being too definitive here, as he may have fucked-up on the labelling.

That said, it's definitely one of my Flo crosses, that is for sure, but the smell is more reminiscent of my Funk (Skunk X Flo), and the resin content is extremely high - far more than any of the parents used, and closer to an OG Kush in that area. The leaf-shape is what makes me relax, as it's a dead-ringer for the original indica male parent. One other strange trait, is extremely stiff, circular stems, with no ridges whatsoever, and a faintly greasy, oily feel to them.

Anyway, here it is - looking more like a weird OG Kush than a mostly sativa hybrid. Some branches were topped before flowering, hence the weird bushy colas, which formed on the stumps. I have a clone that is much more healthy, and more advanced in veg, which should give a much more accurate representation of what this can do - I'll be running that one again asap, but for now, here's the first version for perusal:

your right it looks very kushy
...but it looks like this trails come from the blue family ....looks devenetly more flo dominate

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
It was slightly more body-oriented than pure Flo, definitely, but still very 'up' all the same - and very strong. The last bud caused some serious damage...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
The new Goldfinger is almost complete - just about to hit eleven weeks, and fattening up nicely. The buds don't run like the last one, so it's more of a Flo thing - big bud up top, with smaller ones strung out below, rather than continuous colas. But the calyxes are large, and getting larger, and turning the strangest color - more of a brown/burgundy than purple, and it smells delicious - a distinct tangy blackcurrant on top of the usual heaven. Yum.

I'll let it go the full 12 weeks if need be, but it might be a few days quicker - been flushing it for two weeks already, apart from one last small dose of bat guano a week ago, so should be interesting to see how she finishes.

Watch this space...:)

ThaiPhoon

Hey EM,
Its been a while, and I have grown a few different plants...I just want to say that Goldfinger is still at the top of my favourites list! Sadly the last 5 beans did not germ for me. The genes live on in the GSK (Goldfinger x JLP's SDOG) It's close, but I haven't found one that has that wonderful fragrance as the original Goldfinger!
Peace

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Shit man, that's a shame - would be the first that haven't germed yet! Wish I had more, but I'm working on the next generation asap. This one will come down in less than a week, and smells incredible - like the others, but with extra berry! Got a good vegging clone too, so it will continue...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well, she's had the final watering, so will chop as soon as she's dried out - probably Saturday. Expect some quality photos shortly after...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
New Goldfinger Harvest

New Goldfinger Harvest

OK, here she is at last, chopped at 12 weeks exactly. This one is probably slightly lower-yielding proportionally than the last one, but it has more of the traits that I'm looking for, and so will definitely be the breeding mother in the future. Sadly the Goldfinger pollen my friend gave me turned out to be dud, so the F2s will still have to wait...:(

This pheno is much more Flo-leaning than previous, with darker green leaves, burgundy stems and purpling, foxtail buds, with the pronounced Flo structure of a 'spear' bud followed by smaller pyramid-shaped ones down the stem. Like other Goldfingers, the aroma of this one is the trademark floral/spicy/earthy, but this has an exciting berry/blackcurrant overtone that is really special, and hopefully will come through in the smoke too.

Other handy traits are virtually no budleaves, meaning trimming takes minutes, as opposed to hours with the original Malawi Gold, and a fairly controlled stretch, and compact size, meaning it's easy to grow indoors. It also always dries quickly, which means I can sample this beauty by the weekend...yum...:)

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
berry/blackcurrant.....lovely structure and look at those foxy tails;)......she must be a special little gal..........thanks,EM...........MOneY

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Elevator Man said:
It also always dries quickly, which means I can sample this beauty by the weekend...yum...:)

We'll be awaiting your appraisal ever so (im)patiently EM!Sorry to hear that the pollen was bum,that's a bit of a disappointment for you I'm sure.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I'm getting used to pollen not working, but this was extra-painful as we'd spent some time selecting a good male - just have to start that portion of the project again. At least the females are very consistent, with so far only subtle physical differences - smell, taste and high have all been bang-on. Although the extra berry component this time is what I'm most excited about...:)

indifferent

Veteran
She looks fantastic mate, great work. Mine is at 8 weeks and looking really nice, I'll get some pics sorted shortly.

camacho31

hello from the south
i choppped 1 goldfinger ,the green specimen.she suffering the rains and other things .but is strong.i think this goldfinger its to make bubble hash.
the other,flo aromas its on .she is likely the last photos you put.

this is 1 month before.now smells very good.in the next week ill chop this plant.i hope put photos

thanks em :rasta: :violin:

indifferent

Veteran
Here's some dodgy pics of my Goldfinger at 8 weeks, some nice purple colours coming through and resin is building up well now, just like Eman's she is very foxtailed, this is not too obvious as she has just had a new sprt of floral development and all the new white pistils are obscuring her foxtailed bud structure somewhat at the moment. There is a lovely dark berry element to her smell, the earthiness of the Malawi has combined with the sweet berry taste in the Flo side to make something rather unusual and interesting, really looking forward to smoking this one as I really enjoyed the previous Goldfinger pheno.