What's new

'Goldfinger' - Malawi Gold X Flo

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Excellent thread.My ears always "perk up" when I hear Flo.Sounds like a terrific project.But how can you miss when Flo is in the lineage?

Shout out to Thaiphoon as well!Looks like we're in the same area of the world...well,pretty close anyway.Nice work guys. :respect:

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks everyone - nice to know an experiment can turn into something so productive! I should get to see the Goldfinger X MoFlo hybrid tonight - I thuink it's due for the chop any day now, so will try and grab pics if possible.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
The Goldfinger X MoFlo (Project X) plant mentioned above was chopped on Sunday, and I'll be able to try some by this Saturday - the 'mentholated mushrooms' smell is still there...:chin:

G

mentholated mushrooms eh? If you get a male that has that mentholated smell/taste, I'll stel him from you as i have a beautiful sativa that tastes like mentholated spearmint and I'd love to cross her to something else that tastes mentholated as that's the part of the taste I really enjopy. Funnily enough, I just finished trimming her and the smell of menthol is still lingering in my nose.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well I don't have any plants growing of that strain but I can get a clone of that female pheno, definitely, if you want to try it? I'm absolutely chuffed with the quality - superb taste and classic 'Flo' high.

Actually when the bud is broken open, the 'mentholated mushrooms' gets more complex, and I've realised that it's actually the spicy carrot flavour that was present in pheno #2 of the two Goldfinger plants I grew last year, but amped up considerably with more Flo darkness. They had the indica Flo male as a parent, which brought out the darker and more hashy spicy flavours in one pheno. I'm desperately trying to hang onto the last bud, but it's so nice I don't think I'll make it much longer...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
The Goldfinger breeding project is looking good - the ten breeding plants have been whittled down to six - two males and four females. Hopefully next week I can get to see them again, as they're not at my place, and we can get it down to one and two, and then get them into flower - somewhere. Where exactly is still to be resolved.

Also - the 'mentholated mushrooms' Goldfinger X MoFlo mentioned above? I just got a cut back from my friend, so I can run a test-grow myself and see how it does under cabinet conditions.

Onward and upward...:)

ThaiPhoon

It is great to see that you are working on the Goldfinger again! What are you aiming for? What Flo father seems to be giving you the best plants? The Goldfinger and JLo are like step-siblings..:) Nice!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I'm aiming for stabilty, first and foremost, as I'm not too worried about the quality of the high - that seems the same from all phenos I've tested so far. But I know this kind of cross can throw out all sorts of anomalies in then ext generation, so the priority is to identify now what I'm aiming for.

The purple sativa Flo male seemed to have more dominance - the green indica male produced larger, more Malawi-leaning Goldfingers, whereas the purple male produces very Flo-leaning specimens. At the moment, we're using the purple male batch, #1A (green indica being #1B). The (MG2 X Flo) is #2 - you're the only person ever to have grown these out! The males of those were mixed, so would be more difficult to pull out breeding specimens.

I'll do #1A first, and if it shows promise, then do #1B, and then maybe in a few generations, we can bring them back together again - who knows? It's as much about learning to how to breed for me, as getting great weed to smoke.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Just a quick shot of a Goldfinger bud at seven weeks - a little burnt from over-strong nutes, but the buds are bigger:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I went over to my friend's house today, and we made the final selections of the parent plants for breeding - we aimed for perfectly 50/50 visible traits, health and vigour. So we ended up with a female with vigorous branching, very broad, sativa-looking leaves, and red/purple stem. The male is a little more Malawi-leaning in leaf-shape, but not much, and otherwise like the female.

The runner-up female is a beautiful specimen, which is a little more Flo-leaning, with very dark green leaves and a deep purple stem, and looking very much like a more sativa F-13 - although these are F1s and so pheno selection shouldn't be critical, I wanted to try and get an even mix of the two parents, just to make is as obvious as possible what's going on, as we're all relative beginners at this, so we're leaving this one out of the program.

However, it looks so good, that this one will be cloned and just grown out as a hopefully much better pheno than the one above - and tested amongst a few folks too! More later...

TBug

Plz forget you know me...Sugaree
Veteran
High vator! Nice work bro! Just thought Id hit your sig and wht you been doin..lol. very profesional! I have to hit you up for some more questions as I run into them.
Thanks fo sharin!
Peace, bugout

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks man - no problem. I'm not sure about 'professional' - it's mostly inspired guesswork! But in a 2nd-floor apartment, it's limited with what I can do, hence the help from my friends, which I'm very grateful for. We should be able to get these flowering and pollenated quite soon.

Z10N

Hey Eman! how are you mate?:D

still checking up, I'm loving the new pics! the side by side photos really shows the blood connection. I wish I could smell that "mentholated mushroom" pheno!! that really got me laughing, I smelt some very weird aromas on weed before, but it's a bit hard for me to imagine this kind of smell? :D
I'm very interested to see how the Goldfinger X MoFlo looks like in the Hydro set up, because I am planing to try to do it too in hydro or aero. so let me know when you post the pic?

good week to ya'all!

Peace!
Z
:bongsmi:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Z10N - The mentholated mushroom could also be described as 'minty earth' - maybe that's more descriptive? It's actually the 'spicy carrot' smell buried in the Malawi that was expressed in one of the Goldfinger phenos - the MoFlo has really amped that up, and taken away all the floral/fruity smell. Strangely, the bud tasted exceptionally sweet when smoked.

No pic though - my friend chopped it before I could get a pic. But I do have a crappy clone of it, and am vegging it out now - just for reference really. I would definitely recommend giving these a try, as his flowered in 8 weeks in hyrdro...:chin:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Just a quick update on Goldfinger news - the selected breeding F1 female is at about 3.5 weeks now at my friend's house, and the selected F1 male has been put into flower too now - they'll be joined in holy matrimony in about two to three weeks - we'll probably construct some isolation chambers for the males, as there's a JLo male to join them soon, and we need to keep the pollen separate.

I've also brought home some cuts of the 'other' Goldfinger - much more purple Flo-leaning specimen that whilst isn't the chosen breeder, looks too good not to try out - and I've run the pheno I have a few times now, so I'm up for a change. This one looks more like an F13 than any of the other phenos, and may be a tad faster as a result. Pics soon...

muddy waters

Hey Elevator Man, just keepin' you honest here... heheheh... those pics? Are they coming soon?

Good luck with the breeding. If you need any help sprouting those F2s... I may know somebody :)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Heh - well I'm sure that could be arranged...:)

But all change here. The selected female at my friend's was sadly knocked up by a Leb 27 male, which beat the Goldfinger to it, despite being only a foot tall, the randy little swine. The Goldfinger male is just about to start dropping pollen now, but the female already has numerous seeds developing, so it's not really worth mixing them up now. That should be a great cross in its own right though, retaining the sativa characteristics again, whilst lowering the flower-time somewhat hopefully.

So - the purple, Flo-leaning female is the new mother - to be honest I'm more excited about this one now as it looks way better bigger - a more even mix structurally, but with Flo pigmentation. The male is pretty much ready to go, so my friend's going to have to collect pollen and save it a few weeks until this one's ready - maybe clone the male and re-veg it for later use.

I've got some clones of the purple female I hope to get into flower soon to see what it does. Also the 'Project X' female is finally revegged from the stump of a clone I managed to get from my other friend - this is Goldfinger X MoFlo - made last year with my other Goldfinger batch, and is very fast - eight weeks in hydro. It has purple buds, and smells of mentholated mushrooms and spicy carrots - very odd. That goes into flower soon too...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Just a quick Goldfinger update, as it's been quiet for a while. The selected breeding female has just gone into flower a few days ago, and is already rocketing ahead. I'll take backup clones in a week or so, though my friends still have the mother plant going for now. I have some Goldfinger pollen which will hopefully still be viable, and will get this on as soon as she's ready. Pics soon on that.

And the 'Project X' cross - Goldfinger X MoFlo is just beginning to bud, and looking very interesting - extremely indica in structure and leaf-shape, but incredibly branchy - more so than the original Malawi Gold. The tiny indica Flo male I used right back at the beginning is really showing through in this pheno...this is him, and I'll post some pics of his grand-daughter next week...

ThaiPhoon

Hey there EM! Looking good.
I plan on starting the last 5 Goldfinger beans as soon as I have a nice little veg area built. I really miss the Goldfinger taste and effect!
I have a few GSK seedlings going here again. (GSK is Goldfinger X JLP's SD x OG) Goldfinger is definitely a great plant. I hope to keep her around for a long time!

Peace