What's new

'Goldfinger' - Malawi Gold X Flo

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
My Goldfinger female is beginning the stretch now, at about 9 days flower, so has been staked accordingly tonight. One interesting trait that this plant has retained from germination is a weird pigmentation/mutation issue with new leaves - they have very light green, wrinkly surfaces in the centre of the leaf, which disappears when the leaf is fully mature.

Initially I thought it was a seedling issue, as this particular plant nearly died from underwatering at two weeks old, and was rescued over a couple of weeks by my more caring friend (who needed some free plants, I should add!) However, this leaf deformity is present still, but only appears during periods of rapid growth - it wasn't present in the vegging clone, only now it's growing rapidly. This seems to be a Flo trait coming through - the 'twisty leaf' phenomenon. It never seems to affect the overall growth, so I'll just log it as 'interesting' for now.

I'll post some pics as soon as the staked stems have become a little more presentable...

ThaiPhoon

Hi EM, I am trying more of the Goldfinger X seeds. It has been very cold here at night (15C) so I have moved the pot with the seeds inside and placed on top of an old PC monitor for warmth!

I can REALLY smell the "Goldfinger" smell in the two phenos that I have in flower now! But there is more of a skunky smell about them now...All good.

Since I have been smoking some Cali-O lately I miss the Goldfinger! Goldfinger high is much longer lasting, but not as speedy. Plus Goldfinger has a much more complex and satisfying taste!

Great Cross Man!

Peace

ngakpa

Veteran
my tuppence would be to get a couple of silk screens and use the plant your useless friend cut two weeks early (aaaaargh) to make some sieved hash - or at very least make some hand-rubbed charas... personally I find smoking unripe buds really annoying... my suspicion is that he won't be on for that, but it's worth a try

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Nah, he won't be up for that! However, he did bring me a little baggie round tonight, and amazingly, it tastes and smells exactly like my pheno #2, the floral/bluebell/ginger pheno, which is great, as that had a different Flo dad! That's the Malawi flavour, definitely, but with a shorter flower time. My cut of this is bushing out rapidly now (I have a backup clone in veg also), at nine days flower I think, so I'm very pleased. If I can get this flavour locked down in future, I might have a to try a 'Bluebell' variant, as it's a really unique flavour in my experience.

I also managed to collect some more pollen from the lonely male at my friend's house tonight, so I have two vials with small, but adequate amounts to make some more seeds, and I can easily get a little more before it expires. So the strain will live on. And ThaiPhoon, I'm glad you found the duration to be long, as I did too, but with no jangliness - just a smooth lift upwards, which was always the plan...!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I finally chopped the Goldfinger male last night - not a huge amount of pollen produced, but enough. The female is beginning to slow down the stretch now at about three weeks 12/12, and developing lots and lots of vertical stems - it's a really interesting trait this, and I will get some pics of this today if possible.

G

I had to chop a pair of Colombian gold x Grapefruitbowl f2s at 45 days due to mould, this was about 10 weeks ago, they would have gone 75 days I think, so well early. However, it was still a nice smoke, very heady. This was partly due to being so early, also the duration of the high was reduced, but it was still nice.

I'd love to see a cross of the El Yucateca Mexican to the Goldfinger male, not being a true F1 as the father isn't an IBL, there would be a few phenos, but I'm sure all would be interesting.

G

Sounds like a good idea to hybridise the OG, it needs less stretch and more yield and taste. Call it Flo-G! lol

Did I giva ya some of the Purple Aghan x OG beans?

G

Whatever the name, it soulds like a tasty cross.

There were never many of those PA x OG beans, I only have about 15 myself.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well I might just have to call it that, if you like it that much...:)

BTW, I'll grab a couple of pics of the Goldfinger tonight before it starts budding too heavily - great example of the branching structure I'm after...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I just got a few pics, but have to go out shortly - I'll upload them when I get back in. Keep watching...:)

G

I'm just on my way out too, but I'll be looking for the pics when I come back! I'm taking some Blueberry x Zamalhaze to a party, see what folks think.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well, I only got two useful ones, but here you go - Goldfinger 1A, which is (MG1 X Flo1) - just reaching the end of the stretch I think, so all these tips will become nice long colas:

It shows the peculiar trait I mentioned before - the weird bright green stripes on the leaves. This only occurs on new leaves during rapid growth, and they fade as they become mature - and don't appear at all under fluoros. They've stopped doing it now as it's slowed down. I noticed this on my friend's outdoor plant around August as it began to stretch.

I think this could be a Flo variegation trait that's been passed through, as I never saw this on any of the Malawis - although it's much more regular than the usual random 'splash' marbling.

G

Looking very nice, as you say, those branches will all become nice colas, should maximise yield mate!

That light green thing is something I've seen before, it seems to happen in two situations, either when a growth tip is shooting up really fast, in which case they soon trun darker green. Other time I've seen it is in growth tips that aren't getting enough light, usually due to being blocked by a fan leaf. In either case, it always goes away, i think it's just a lack of chlorrophyll.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
It's definitely not a chlorophyll issue, as the latest leaves at the tip don't show it - it only seems to appear during rapid growth and then stops - it's very weird, but seems totally harmless.

The first visible resin is appearing now, and man is it tasty! The Malawi 'bluebell/ginger biscuit' smell is there, but the Flo 'dark spice' component is also there - stronger than my friend's outdoor plant, but I guess that's to be expected. Looking very good indeed now, and the stretch seems to have stopped - it's about 20" tall and the classic Goldfinger 'urn' shape. I'm so proud...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Here's a couple of pics of the Goldfinger 1A pheno at five weeks flower exactly - visible (and gorgeous smelling) resin buildup now:

The weird green patches on the leaves have now stopped appearing, as expected (only during stretch), though I'm still clueless as to what this is - most leaves have grown it out, but one or two seem to be stuck with it - visible on left photo.

I've pollenated one branch with the Goldfinger pollen, and I may do it again tonight just to be sure - I don't have much pollen left, so I must get some seeds from this one.