What's new

GOLD PROSPECTING

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
@ kaotic,,For sure Bro!!!!Hope you hit the motherload.Also make sure you pull the grassclumps that grow in the streams too, wash off the root's alot of small stuff in them.
Thank's man.

@ nokuy,,,Nice pic bro thanks for sharing!!!

@Packabowl,,,Bro get a gold pan and try some of the greeks in your area.Gold has been found almost everywhere!!!!

@randude,,,Yes mecury was used alot just hard to remove from the gold(Acid/Burning)
never put mercury covered gold with your other gold it WILL spread to all of it!!!!

@ Backcountry,,We have alot of spot's that we only hit every few years and alot of gold
will pile up again in the same spots. Good luck on the trip Bro!!!!

INH

B

buddymate

Did a bit of panning in the southern Philippines,found a few flakes but did see guys power-blasting a river-banking away :yoinks:Bit like the wild west down there so no one stopped them.I have a pic of a nugget somewhere,my friends posing with it in her office,I will look for it later,her family have a gold-mine in the jungle.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Here in Iowa we have a lot of flour gold, but almost nothing in terms of nuggets. What do you think my best tactic would be? Is it even worth going out? I've read that several of our rivers, especially the Iowa have gold in them. Any Midwest prospectors here?

I N Hail

Veteran
Magic, This is a hobby i love. I would approach your area with atleast a sluice box
maybe a Dredge. But a Gold Pan,shovel,and somehing to put gold in is all you need to have a good day out panning.Do some searching for info in your area.Go out for the
day/days and have fun.

I have found my best gold holes just by spiking (Tracking gold down rivers) You would have better luck once you learn how gold flows in water and where it will DROP.
i.e. down stream of rocks,ledges,inside bends.

But remember just have FUN and enjoy the outdoors.

Peace INH

magiccannabus

Veteran
Do the rules change at all for flour gold? Since it's mostly dust in our rivers(it was ground up by the glaciers), will it flow a bit differently?

I N Hail

Veteran
Not really as size is key,It will still land in the same places just at diff.levels

NOKUY

Veteran
check w/ your states DNR (dept of nat. resources)....i bet iowa has a great one.

they often have stuff online or pamphlets u can get that'll tell u all about places where gold has been found....thats usually a great place to start, the history of some of that is good reading too

magiccannabus

Veteran
There's a few rivers for sure, but I think the Iowa River may be the one most of the gold has been found in. It's a bigger river though, so I'm not sure how best to work it. I see most guys in examples wading through a creek basically. I wouldn't even try to wade across the Iowa. I just wish it was closer to where I live.

I've even found ore with gold in it, but not enough to make it very valuable. Has a lot of pyrite in it.

I N Hail

Veteran
I got you on the BIG rivers, Now size of the river won't mean a hole lot
just hit some of the smaller watersheds feeding it look for Iron Ore, Quarts,
thats is always a good place to start
If your getting black sand(Iron Ore) in your pan you are close if there is gold there.

INH

I N Hail

Veteran
Yes there has been BIG cost at using mercury to pull gold and still we find alot of it
It was used by the barrel loads which killed all most every thing in the streaams.

Sad but thats how gold fever was, Plus i'm not sure if the dangers were known back then.

p.s. I think i still have some mercury covered gold somewhere if i find it i'll put up a pic

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
this sound cool...you guys got me thinking ....i wonder if i can pan for gold anywhere....am going to look into this a wee bit more....

keep it green
highlander

I N Hail

Veteran
Heck yeah HIGH!!! its a fun hobby,I would love to see some gold from over there.

Is there areas that have been known for gold minning around ya?

G

GR8shoeBaDizzle

I remember we use to go up to Mariposa County and do it when we were younger. It was fun always going up there and thinking we were gonna hit it big when we were kids. haven't did it, shit since i was about 13 or so. damn 15 plus years ago...

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
Heck yeah HIGH!!! its a fun hobby,I would love to see some gold from over there.

Is there areas that have been known for gold minning around ya?

thats what am going to try and find out bro :woohoo:...i hope so it sound like lodsa fun+ with a small chance of hitting the big time( you never know)...thay mined for coal in my counrty so i will more or likely find a lump of black gold rather than real gold lol ....

keep it green
highlander

I N Hail

Veteran
One thing about panning is you find alot of gem stones besides gold.

So if coal is big there keep a look out for diamonds even small ones are nice.

I N Hail

Veteran
That documentary that I seen is not old. It is in recent times and currently the way to do it in South America.

Thats wild that they still do it, a lot of dangers forsure health wise,
but i think they still do strip minning there too.( Not Foresure though)

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran

i can pan for gold hear :woohoo::woohoo:...
but you know what even better, the gold in my country is amongst the most expensive in the world because of it rarity. just a gram of it can be woth 5 times as much as normal gold......

man i gota get saving for some equipment :woohoo:..

keep it green
highlander

I N Hail

Veteran
Yeah the Gold/Quarts nuggets are great ,But you'll have a better chance at finding
that in like a mine if theres any in your area,In rivers its useally broke up and spread out
by heavy rains and all.

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran

we used to burn coal in our fire back in the day...i would have to pay some1 to take it off me lol....or do you mean look out for stuff inside the coal?

keep it green
highlander