What's new

GOLD PROSPECTING

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
You have to get out - to get the gold

You have to get out - to get the gold

You guys need to get out more...

I was out in the Mojave Desert three weeks ago, as a friend of mine popped a 2 1/4 ounce nugget out of an old wall.

Minelab 5000 GPX

The nugget is about the size of a roll of nickels. :tiphat:

Happy Hunting

Z

Z-ro

when I first started watching the show I though it was kinda cool, and being a business man at heart I got a small bite from the bug and thought gold mining could be my next thing. Then as I watched the show some more, I realized it was about as informative as watching mtvs real world or some other random shitty reality show, nothing but a waste of good time. As far as prospecting for yourself, I still have an interest and would like to do it but the numbers for me just dont work out. Say you were lucky and found 100 oz of gold worth approximately 180000(was hovering around 1750 last I looked), well I can grow 100 lbs worth 250000 with relative ease in only 3 months time(greenhouse dep) and not have to break my back or put up with all the bs drama the would be associated with mining for atleast one whole season if not more. So while all of you are out fighting for your share of the worlds gold, in what has become a super cutthroat biz, Ill be drinking beers and smoking joints next to my greenys.

N

Nondual

Say you were lucky and found 100 oz of gold worth approximately 180000(was hovering around 1750 last I looked), well I can grow 100 lbs worth 250000 with relative ease in only 3 months time(greenhouse dep) and not have to break my back or put up with all the bs drama the would be associated with mining for atleast one whole season if not more. So while all of you are out fighting for your share of the worlds gold, in what has become a super cutthroat biz, Ill be drinking beers and smoking joints next to my greenys.
Different strokes for different folks. For me going for gold is to find and work with gold and not because it would be a big money maker cause it most likely wouldn't be. I walked away from growing in general, indoors and out, a few ago cause I just didn't want to do it regardless of how much money I could net.

NOKUY

Veteran
The best part of the show is Parker Schnabel, he is way beyond his years!! !

i agree....you gotta give that kid props...and his gramps alot of props.

...that kid has more maturity in his little toe than most 16 year olds today...(and most adults for that matter).

he's taken advantage of a rare opportunity tho....getting to learn the game of mining and the game of life from his gramps...who is a damn smart, hardworking rarity himself.

i'd love to see a show like "behind the music" about them...very interesting ppl.

i'd be interested to hear why he spends his time w/ gramps at the mine like he does...if it's his choice, ...what's up w/ his parents....what about the rest of his life...or is that it???

i like how gramps doesn't give him the answers...like w/ the hydraulic hose...he just says "...so what are you gonna do?"......thats how you teach someone to think instead of just telling them how to do something...a lot of ppl could learn a thing or two from that relationship.

the hoffmans...lol....i still wish them well, but i don't see them gettin' it done....even tho they are in some of the richest gold country in the world right now...i know the yukon and the klondike area really really well....i think they keep biting off more than they can chew.....and u know it's hittin their pockets HARD!

NOKUY

Veteran
just read this about the kid:

PARKER SCHNABEL
The Young Master

BACKGROUND: Student, Gold Miner
HOMETOWN: Haines, Alaska

Parker Schnabel has the drive, skill and intelligence to be a successful gold miner and hit the mother lode … and he's only 17! Hailing from Haines, AK, Schnabel has worked in his grandpa's Big Nugget mine since his feet could touch the pedals of mining equipment. A self-described outdoorsman, Schnabel spends his free time hunting and exploring the Alaskan wilderness. He is also a high school senior and is on the varsity basketball team. With years of early experience and aspirations to expand the family business, Schnabel hopes to take his expertise and supplement it with a college education in geological sciences or mining studies.

Last summer, while working at his grandpa's mine, he came over to the Porcupine Creek claim to help the rookies with their wash plant set-up. He came away amazed at how little the Hoffman's crew knew about the details that make all the difference. This year he's taking over the Big Nugget mine in the hope that he can pull enough gold to keep it afloat and in the family.

The best part of the show is Parker Schnabel, he is way beyond his years!! When he was talking to Dakota Fred was too funny! Bought that piece of equipment and make a few bucks it was cool!!
I really doubt if the Hoffman boys are going to do any good, they seem to take one step forward and 3 steps back, oh well
Dakota Fred is a dipshit!

Yup, that kid has alot going for him if he keeps his head on right. He really needs to be extra carefull of those who would try to take advantage him in the future; and it will indeed, happen! Only experience & good judgement is going to help him on this one. My heart especially goes to the Hoffmans who were really bent over without vaseline by Dakota; who, in my opinion is lower than a snake's belly! But that's how it is in the real world. It's all business, and more often than not, it rears it's ugly head & takes no prisoners, as I can attest from experience.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i agree....you gotta give that kid props...and his gramps alot of props.

...that kid has more maturity in his little toe than most 16 year olds today...(and most adults for that matter).

he's taken advantage of a rare opportunity tho....getting to learn the game of mining and the game of life from his gramps...who is a damn smart, hardworking rarity himself.

i'd love to see a show like "behind the music" about them...very interesting ppl.

i'd be interested to hear why he spends his time w/ gramps at the mine like he does...if it's his choice, ...what's up w/ his parents....what about the rest of his life...or is that it???

i like how gramps doesn't give him the answers...like w/ the hydraulic hose...he just says "...so what are you gonna do?"......thats how you teach someone to think instead of just telling them how to do something...a lot of ppl could learn a thing or two from that relationship.

the hoffmans...lol....i still wish them well, but i don't see them gettin' it done....even tho they are in some of the richest gold country in the world right now...i know the yukon and the klondike area really really well....i think they keep biting off more than they can chew.....and u know it's hittin their pockets HARD!

I just love how Parker and his grandpa look soooo much alike! Its like they are twins just a generation apart hehe
That one shot of Parker holding that piece of gold is priceless! haha Im sure we will learn more about this young man.

Doesnt whatshisface say all the time, it costs them a thousand dollars a day to run the mine?...that adds up fast! :dance013:

chidoctor

the hoffmans are dumb!! how can you go 1 year with all the mistakes they made and then pretty much repeat it the following year! they depend to heavily on jack and todd for direction and ideas? if i did a season of gold digging i can bet you that the following year i would be chomping at the bits as soon as the ground thawed, not waste 30+ days figuring what to do! i understand they lost the claim at the last moment but how the hell you sign up another claim and not check on the water permits? the hoffmans are good people i suppose but that doesnt put gold on the scales! as for the kid i think its nice that he is self motivated and self sufficent but i can see him coming off like an asshole to alot of people, kinda like that smart ass kid that always needed a hurting in school! fred is a complete asshole but i bet he comes out with the gold. the hoffmans will scream their ass off saying it should of been them, thats why you pay your lease dummies! FWIW the new show on AMC HELL ON WHEELS kicks ass!

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another good show last night...looks like them Hoffman boys are getting a little smarter...that Dutch guy was trippy,seems he knew what he was talking about, and the pile of gold dust he had!! wow that was huge!! ....the guy drilling was funny too...
Dakota Fred seems to be having some bad luck!! That karma is a bitch for sure! heheh

And then theres Parker Schonbel, hes just the cutest kid! he and his 91 yr old grandpa are so much alike, its wonderful to see them work together, Gramps gets up on that piece of equipment like hes a spry 75 yr old!! hehe
I hope he gets more gold then any of them!!

C

chase

I used to pan for gold up in nor-cal.I would dig up dirt from non chinees tailing piles ,& take it to the river.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Another good show last night...looks like them Hoffman boys are getting a little smarter...that Dutch guy was trippy,seems he knew what he was talking about, and the pile of gold dust he had!! wow that was huge!! ....the guy drilling was funny too...
Dakota Fred seems to be having some bad luck!! That karma is a bitch for sure! heheh

And then theres Parker Schonbel, hes just the cutest kid! he and his 91 yr old grandpa are so much alike, its wonderful to see them work together, Gramps gets up on that piece of equipment like hes a spry 75 yr old!! hehe
I hope he gets more gold then any of them!!

showing that couple hundred thousand dollars in gold? oh man!

i may of had to put him into a sleeper hold......

Endur

Veteran
Here is a little something, I found last weekend.
Spent 5 hours @ the Mine, and did pretty good.

The Spot...
GoldMine003.jpg

GoldMine010.jpg

This is the area I worked for the 5 hours.
Its roughly 10 X 10 and 3 ft deep.
GoldMine007.jpg

Pulled all three pieces out.

First one found.
GoldNov202011038.jpg

GoldNov202011001.jpg

Second one...
GoldNov202011014.jpg

And the Nice...One. :dance013:
Almost 3oz.
GoldNov202011017.jpg

GoldNov202011042.jpg

GoldNov202011035.jpg

GoldNov202011032-1.jpg

Peace
Endur

krunchbubble

Veteran
Here is a little something, I found last weekend.
Spent 5 hours @ the Mine, and did pretty good.

The Spot...
GoldMine003.jpg

GoldMine010.jpg

This is the area I worked for the 5 hours.
Its roughly 10 X 10 and 3 ft deep.
GoldMine007.jpg

Pulled all three pieces out.

First one found.
GoldNov202011038.jpg

GoldNov202011001.jpg

Second one...
GoldNov202011014.jpg

GoldNov202011014.jpg

And the Nice...One. :dance013:
Almost 3oz.
GoldNov202011017.jpg

GoldNov202011042.jpg

GoldNov202011035.jpg

GoldNov202011032-1.jpg

Peace
Endur

looks good!!

now go clean your fingernails, hippy......

Endur

Veteran
looks good!!

now go clean your fingernails, hippy......

LOL....
What makes you think I'm a Hippy?
So, very far from a hippy, bro.
My apologies, for having dirty fingernails. I hadn't made it home to shower, when the pictures were taken.

Thanks Krunch....
Peace
Endur

krunchbubble

Veteran
LOL....
What makes you think I'm a Hippy?
So, very far from a hippy, bro.
My apologies, for having dirty fingernails. I hadn't made it home to shower, when the pictures were taken.

Thanks Krunch....
Peace
Endur

im joking around bro......:tiphat:

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice find Endur!! Those chunks look awesome, thanks for sharing those with us...very cool!

K

KSP

Really cool find Endur.

I've done some snorkeling in north GA streams and found a fleck or two, but nothing to amount to anything.

Latest posts

Latest posts