What's new

goal:pre-fertilized coco+water only

B

bonecarver_OG

the only thing i think could posibly have been interpreted as presumptious is the word "poor" before the word quality in the first post.

i took it away, its a personal opinion and doesnt ahve much to do with the case.

the rest remains the same.

i cant believe you are trying to make it into an argument. im definetly not here for that at all.. rather the oposite ;)

peace

B

bonecarver_OG

haha :D this getting more fun :D

are we sure we didnt get up in a bad mood today :D

peace

antimatter

Veteran
I wouldn't mind someone posting up some multi pound trees grown in organic coco mix with nothing but molasses added the entire grow, that would solve this argument. :dueling: What do you think it would take 30 gallons of pre fertilized mix to last 16+ weeks?

G

grow nerd

the worst coco harvest i ever had was when i mixed wormcastings into the mix :(

it fucks up the ph too much and all the benfits of coco are lost. also the density of wormcastings is extremelly high and working agaisnt the rapid drainage in coco.

the rapid drainage is one of the most important key factors of succesfull coco growing.

now, im not saying its impossible to grow like this, but expect quality, similar to soil grown.

it will not be comparable to grow in coco at all.

im for one for moving this thread to the organic forum, since it does not have much to do with actuall coco growing as i see it.

you are pretty much making a organic soil less mix,.

wrong forum girl! :D

peace
I feel the exact same way. Nice to hear someone as experienced as yourself confirm.

Dhude

I wouldn't mind someone posting up some multi pound trees grown in organic coco mix with nothing but molasses added the entire grow, that would solve this argument.

Nobody would mind, but you're not going to see them because they don't exist. Not saying it's impossible, with a big enough container and long enough veg anything will produce P's.

Lots of issues with the very premise of this method. If the first goal is KISS, eliminate machines and work, then the goal is violated as soon as you started adding a dozen amendments to coco. If you did want to run low maintenance wick systems, skip all the amendments, top dressings, overpriced benes, and simply use a diluted 1 part (FN-bloom or similar) in addback water. One nute bottle, plain coco, wick, done.

If your #1 goal is simplicity and low maintenance, with little regard to yield: Wick, GH lucas, float valve autotopper gravity feeding each bucket's mini res from a big main res filled with half strength. That is truly a set it and forget it, full crop cycle potential system. Blumats running lucas would be similar...no pumps, gravity fed, three ingredients: coco, GH bloom, GH micro.

Your stated goal is simplicity and you're far, far from seeking the actual stripped down, spare and elegant solution. IMO, of course.

solarz

I have grown in a similar way to mistresses way and i have to admit it has produced my best outcome to date. I picked up the technique about a year or so ago on another forum from a cat named MassProducer. He/we called them MassP coco buckets...and they worked wonderfully.

Pretty much his concept was to mimic the outdoor soil levels and water table. He used amended coco, and i believe he also fed teas at some points (although to proved to be rather disaterous for me...).

What i did was mix up an organic mix following BurnOne's organic base mix and amendments. I then layerd the bottom of the buckets (with a hole placed about 2inches up, similar to hempy buckets) with perlite mixed with dolomite lime. I then filled the rest of the bucket with the coco mix, and transplanted. For the first week or so, i watered everyday a little until the roots hit the perlite rez, and then i sat back and watched them fucking explode. There was aggressive growth everyday, and i only used water, molasses, and liquid karma throughout out the entire grow. Plants didn't have any problems, and the outcome was the best tasting, smelling burning weed i've had to date.

Pretty much, i'm trying to say that EWC were using in this mix, and it didn't hinder the benefits of coco at all (at least not to where i noticed it) and i believe that it is about having a correct mixture to keep it from being muddied up, and slowing down root growth.

solarz

antimatter

Veteran
Nobody would mind, but you're not going to see them because they don't exist. Not saying it's impossible, with a big enough container and long enough veg anything will produce P's.

Lots of issues with the very premise of this method. If the first goal is KISS, eliminate machines and work, then the goal is violated as soon as you started adding a dozen amendments to coco. If you did want to run low maintenance wick systems, skip all the amendments, top dressings, overpriced benes, and simply use a diluted 1 part (FN-bloom or similar) in addback water. One nute bottle, plain coco, wick, done.

If your #1 goal is simplicity and low maintenance, with little regard to yield: Wick, GH lucas, float valve autotopper gravity feeding each bucket's mini res from a big main res filled with half strength. That is truly a set it and forget it, full crop cycle potential system. Blumats running lucas would be similar...no pumps, gravity fed, three ingredients: coco, GH bloom, GH micro.

Your stated goal is simplicity and you're far, far from seeking the actual stripped down, spare and elegant solution. IMO, of course.

I guess you gotta look at what is more work mixing 300+ gallons every 6 weeks or playing around with meters. With organic soil mix you gotta cook it for a couple weeks so that has to be considered. Mixing soil is a boring process and you should wear a respirator. Organics produce better smelling flowers though.

Leviathan

What, kinda like someone running around forums obsessed about wick systems, in "imaginary" garden? Irony is dead in this day and age, I tells ya.

Yeah, whatever lassie. All that "dominatrix/goddess/BDSM" says to me is: middled aged woman with some unresolved sex related mental health/self esteem issues.

But that is surely off topic. What I'm curious about is: Do you really think those silly little disclaimers..."imaginary garden", "posts are ficticious and for entertainment only" etc...do you really think those do anything or hold any legal or practical signficance at all (and if so I've got a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in purchasing).

Enjoy your organic-soup garden.

this shit cracked me up, nothing like modern women matureing slower then men for the first time in history, were as tradionally womens roaad was very short and she always prided herself on her early matureity modern women lives like a man and struggles with it... funny shite dhude. thx for the laugh

antimatter

Veteran
I wouldn't mind someone posting up some multi pound trees grown in organic coco mix with nothing but molasses added the entire grow, that would solve this argument. :dueling: What do you think it would take 30 gallons of pre fertilized mix to last 16+ weeks?

bump mistress, have you gotten imaginary 2lb-3lb trees with organic coco, I don't want a half lb tree with "amazing flavor". What are you getting with imaginary 8 week vegs and 8-10 week flowers?

(previous post was a joke, noone cares what your identity is, not relevant)

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
the worst coco harvest i ever had was when i mixed wormcastings into the mix :(

it fucks up the ph too much and all the benfits of coco are lost. also the density of wormcastings is extremelly high and working agaisnt the rapid drainage in coco.

the rapid drainage is one of the most important key factors of succesfull coco growing.

now, im not saying its impossible to grow like this, but expect quality, similar to soil grown.

it will not be comparable to grow in coco at all.

I'm for one for moving this thread to the organic forum, since it does not have much to do with actual coco growing as i see it.

you are pretty much making a organic soil less mix,.

I truly wonder how these problems occurred for you. Was there any chlorine in your water? Did you use any beneficials? Did you have any nematodes? What were the percentages involved? About 25% of my mix is composts, manures, and EWC, plus another 10% worth of additives(bone meal, flower-tone, dolomite, etc.).

I agree that it is an organic soilless mix, but I disagree that it has nothing to do with coco. 50% of my mix is coco, and it's waaaaay different than 50% peat(which I have also done). It's way more stable for one thing. With the composts it holds about as much water as pure peat(which is plenty). You should not have had any pH issues with a mix with a lot of EWC in it, unless you were killing the micro-herd somehow, or just not getting a good herd started to begin with.

I'm not trying to criticize your experience, but rather just demonstrate that it could be an isolated occurance for some reason or set of reasons. I've heard as many people who try this report huge improvements as I have heard report big failures. I think this at least shows that it's not accurate to make blanket statements about it and scare people away from trying. Maybe you just didn't have it dialed in yet?

antimatter

Veteran
do run w/ your cultivars to find out what you will get. only you can say what your yields will be because you run your strains. shouldnt really matter. veg them until they get 3-4' tall+wide & flower them.

also depends on how the plants are pruned, thinned & trained.

things can be done to keep them growing vegetative growth while flowering. for other threads... 16/12 light cycles; higher night temps, etc.

weeks vegged should = twice amount harvested... under 1ks, in 5 gal buckets. hint: w/ 10-26 gal totes, for veg & flower, may be able to get lots of tomatoes; as much as desire.

enjoy your garden!

I understand strain selection is a big factor with yield, I was just interested in what yield you get in your imaginary garden with organic coco mix and whatever problems you encountered etc.? I hope you have run organic coco in your imaginary garden and are not just fishing for everyone else to try something and fail miserably since thats what some of the previous posts in this thread are stating. You have to be more clear on what your results were in your imaginary garden and not just stating methods that you may or may not have practiced in your imaginary garden.

antimatter

Veteran
We all know about vertical lighting and long veg times and big pots = big trees .. not sure why your talking about making seeds when the question was how much yield "your" getting in "your" organic mix with your strains, you keep just repeating random information.

Phrasing stuff like you have never actually done it is not going to somehow remove your ip address from the site. I can't see someone running a proxy wording everything with blatant paranoia, no pictures no problem just be more direct and talk normal.

antimatter

Veteran
what strains are you running that don't hit 2lbs, I see people running the big yielders like jack herer, ak47, critical mass, big bud etc. (2-3lbs per plant averages around 1 gram+ a watt) but if your getting 1+ lb per kush plant that is dam good. Obviously those people getting 3lb plants are hitting em with lots of light in flower.

Not sure if this will help the thread discussion a bit, but 3rd I did a Organic Coco grow outdoors this year. http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=126264

p1ninja

Problems with that type of system (regardless of the medium, applies to soil as far as I'm concerned too0 :

1) You have no control of the nutes once they're in. What's in is in.
2) You pretty much can't flush it out, not quickly enough to fix a problem anyway
3) I don't know if any dry nutes that will last the length of a ~3-month grow, usually they're gone in 4-6 weeks.

I wouldn't do it, what's the point of using a fairly inert medium if you are gonna add a bunch of stuff to it? Just my two cents

Couldn't have said it better. Control of nutes and PH of medium would be difficult.

:2cents:

mitsu1

Lifetime Member
ICMag Donor
Here's a cross of mine in Coco w/dry nutes,just water basically.

This was a test run. The cut I used was next to dead,on it's way to the bin,stuck it in this mix, without any break down time. This next go around I'm letting it break down for a couple weeks first. Just gunna water most of the time with an occasional worm tea feeding. Got Bubba and a couple others started in small cups,second round on it's way...mitsu

Wait...What?

Veteran
whats the point? to say we did it! to say it can be done!

the plant already knows how to grow. all the humans do, at best, is get in the way.

people swing off BOG's nutsack and all he does is mix blood meal and bone meal with some wal-mart topsoil

SURELY a suitable mix for coco can be found. And I'll call you Shirley if I want to.

pong

swing from nutsack lol.

anyways i dont see how this water only method is any simpler than a nutrient mix only method.

what is the advantage?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
swing from nutsack lol.

anyways i dont see how this water only method is any simpler than a nutrient mix only method.

what is the advantage?

I think it's a "holy grail" of organic gardening.

Some folks like to grow intensive where they monitor every level and feed at precise amounts for the stages of plant growth/conditions.

Others (and many truly experienced organic growers will agree) know that nature intended for this stuff to happen all by itself.

Those who pursue the "low maintenance" methods... like strip composting, etc. may also be looking for this "all by itself" principle in a formula for container growing.

I see the extremes - but, I fall in the middle. I want to mix a base with about 3-3-3 or 4-4-4 available, then feed some weak nitrogen early and some weak phosph late.

pong

well i will keep my eye out on this type of growing, there are so many options that i sorta get lost.

if anyone finds out a perfect formula for doing this and growing big ass plants in 5 gal bckets plz POST!!

*mistress*

Veteran
if anyone finds out a perfect formula for doing this and growing big ass plants in 5 gal bckets plz POST!!
there is no perfect formula. every garden is slightly different.
all of the amendments needed to grow trees in 5 gal buckets is in this thread... if there are more amendments that can support a plant for 2-3 months of flower, please post in this thread... tried millet. didnt work.

trees mean vegging for @ least 4 weeks under 1k's. if run veg @ 18/6, can take a 6" clone 6-8 weeks of veg under full light. a tree being a plant that is minimum 4x4x4' dimension @ harvest.
under 24/0-20/4 of full flower light, may take less time to reach 2 1/2' - 3' wide plant. maybe 3-4 weeks. start flowering...
key is veg time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts