What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GG4 Phenotypes

soundman

Does anyone know the traits of common phenotypes found in GG4 hermies?

I have two plants going that came from two seeds found in a legit GG4 bud I hope hermied. If their cut hermied a bit what can be found? I should post a pic or two tonight.

One has more stretch and smells more chem. Not any glue smell at all but looks very similar. The other has small buds, very small so far, but smells like skunky glue so far. It has a strange leaf twist to it. Two leaf blades twist in a symmetrical pattern on some fan leaves. I very curious to see what this one does.

Anyway just wondering what are some of the common phenos. What were the other glues like?

Thanks.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Subbed.

I have one tall and one short gg4 hybrid atm. The tall one stinks like glue. Just babies tho.

Sorry I dont have more info, but I am interested in what you find out.

DemonTrich

Veteran
More hermies come frome hermie seeds. Had a strawberries n cream douch hermie pollen on a gg4. Didn't notice until week 7. Found 30 viable seeds. Popped each one at a time. Every FN one of them hermied on me. So fuck hermies and fuck hermie seeds.100% plant issue, not grower issue or environmental.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Wouldn't you have to consider gg4 a hermie?

Im just pointing out that I have seen some exceptional hermies also.

DemonTrich

Veteran
It began as an accidential hermie cross. In the 4 yrs of growing an authentic legit gg4 clone, I've NEVER found a nanner or anything like that.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
IME, the GG#4 will produce "nanners" on the lowers not getting enough light, if you don't do a good job cleaning them out after stretch. Coupled with stress(aphids, fungus gnats, rootbound) and the chance for s1 seeds increases even more.

Those are just observations I have made growing her for the last few years. Nothing set in stone, no science to back it up. I say grow them seeds and see what they hold.

soundman

Thanks.

I am growing them out now. Will try to get a pic when lights are about to come on.

I think the person that grew the bud has a legit cut that he stressed or something. Just his first run had a few seeds. Maybe stray pollen but I doubt it. GG4 has hermie in its blood so its not unfeasible to see a nanner if stressed.

One plant has the GG smell but more skunky. Roadkill smell in there. Super small buds so far. The other has zero GG smell. It doesn't smell tastey. Gonna be very frosty though.

Both stretched like old school OG.

Anyway I will get a pic or two this evening. The leaf twist thing is kinda cool.

DemonTrich

Veteran
Like I said, 4+yrs of growing it and never a nanner to be found. Ever. I flower 6 every 69 day for past 4 yrs.

soundman

Like I said, 4+yrs of growing it and never a nanner to be found. Ever. I flower 6 every 69 day for past 4 yrs.

Have you ever stressed a run?

I know from personal experience once a new hybrid is made with hermie pollen it will potentially have the ability to produce nanners. Sometimes only under a specific circumstance or stress.

It has already been observed though with GG4 too.

What is really cool is that GG4 seems to be highly likely to not throw a nanner even though it has the potential genetic makeup to.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran

same as demon trich for me also....
gg4 seemed to thrive with lower temps and lots of humidity plus not a lover of being placed directly under a hps/dual spec imho,,,,
on the edge and she thrives,,,,,

soundman

Here are a few pics. I can't seem to get any that look like what I see with my eyes. Plants are greener and healthier looking in person.

This run I am trying to use my well water. 250 PPM unknown contents. Ph out of the tap is 7.1 to 8.0. Something changed with the water system and the Ph went from a solid 8.0 to 7.1 recently. PPM's stayed the about the same.

I switched to Maxi series powders from Veg + Bloom and this is my second round with them. First round was RO water though and different strains. Total EC of water is 2.1. I have lowered solution to total EC of 1.8 the last three days.

Temps are a 81 - 83 lights on and 73 - 75 lights off. Rh 45-50 lights on and 40-45 lights off.

I moved to WA from Burbank CA and these two runs have been all the growing here so far. I miss my CA rooms.

I am in a 5x5 tent running two 600 watt HPS.

I have over 25 years experience and am not happy with my grows since my move. I do suffer from severe PTSD and anxiety so these plants are really stressing me out. They are about three weeks into flower after showing sex. Almost five weeks total 12/12. They were slow to show sex. I did switch to 12/12 early, less than three week veg. That may be part of the slow start. Wanted smaller plants. Still got trees.

morgandecaptain

GG#4 is a light feeder,I never go over 600 ppm and she doesn't like to be root bound and she can triple in size in flower,16" plant can end up 48".

soundman

GG#4 is a light feeder,I never go over 600 ppm and she doesn't like to be root bound and she can triple in size in flower,16" plant can end up 48".

I see that in my plants. I have two bag seeds from GG4 and one Attitude freebie, Critical Hog. The GG's have very light tip burn but the CH does not.

What nutes are you using? I expected some extra stretch but these went like old school OG. 14" to about 4'. I noticed they like the lights raised up more than normal.

Thanks for the info.

morgandecaptain

Veg + Bloom with added cal/mag and RO water,over feeding and boosters seem to hurt the yield and she doesn't seem to need intense light either. My best runs have been using this formula and scrogged on a double screen with what some would call low light levels of LED,30 watts a sq/ft.

DunHav`nFun

Welcome SM....To answer your original question about phenotypes of GG4 "hermies" , you have to look at the original parents and learn what their traits were as far as growth structure , budsite formation , and finally cannabinoid/terpene profiles that all us oldheads have called taste , smell , and potency forever and a day....but....for the record....

Every last damn pot plant on earth has hermaphroditic tendencies inherent in their DNA and why ?.....cuz the shit`s an "Asexual plant" that at ANY time in it`s life can turn male from female , female from male , and both on the same plant at the same time , and I`ve witnessed first hand every scenario with many polyhybrid "elites" from all manners of crossing and backcrossing by close friends over the yrs....and yeah....

Perfect environment with a dialed setup cements the decision that no nanners form as long as the plant feels no outward stress during the flowering cycle , so respect goes out to all those that get it like Demontrich....

Never grew GG4 , but I held not all but the Diesel and Chem genetics it came from for lotta yrs , and that`s where the leaf twist comes from , plus I`d bet on her being a CalMag whore like the parentage , and ....less is more with EC/ppms.....I found 1.2-1.5/600-750 ppms to be optimal.....anyways....

Good luck....DHF.....:ying:....

Last edited:

soundman

Welcome SM....To answer your original question about phenotypes of GG4 "hermies" , you have to look at the original parents and learn what their traits were as far as growth structure , budsite formation , and finally cannabinoid/terpene profiles that all us oldheads have called taste , smell , and potency forever and a day....but....for the record....

Every last damn pot plant on earth has hermaphroditic tendencies inherent in their DNA and why ?.....cuz the shit`s an "Asexual plant" that at ANY time in it`s life can turn male from female , female from male , and both on the same plant at the same time , and I`ve witnessed first hand every scenario with many polyhybrid "elites" from all manners of crossing and backcrossing over the yrs....and yeah....

Perfect environment with a dialed setup cements the decision that no nanners form as long as the plant feels no outward stress during the flowering cycle , so respect goes out to all those that get it like Demontrich....

Never grew GG4 , but I held not all but the Diesel and Chem genetics it came from for lotta yrs , and that`s where the leaf twist comes from , plus I`d bet on her being a CalMag whore like the parentage.....anyways....

Good luck....DHF.....:ying:....

Thanks for the reply.

I understand needing to understand the family tree. I just have no experience growing any sour d variations or any chocolate trip and chems. I am an older guy that spent many years on NL5s and other old school strains. I fell in love with OG in the early 2000's and grew that almost exclusively since.

I mainly asked about phenos of GG4 because i was hoping to get a better idea if the seeds came from hermie GG4 or stray pollen of unknown variety. Stray pollen would have not been from any sativa dominant strain though too and my plants are very sat dominate.

My pics are probably not good enough for someone to recognize if they look like GG S1 phenos. Maybe later on in a few more weeks?

I am still kind of excited to see what happens with them.

Thanks for the welcome too. I did join six years ago but deleted all my posts and account. I got paranoid.

morgandecaptain

Like DT I've been growing GG#4 for years with never a sign of hermie and I'm quite rough with my treatment of plants,I cull any strain that is delicate or finicky. Can't remember seeing anyone claim they had a S1 that was the same in quality as the original GG#4 and there are a lot of S1's out there.