What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GG4 Phenotypes

soserthc1

I grow glue 4 and a glue s1 neither has ever hermed under stress or good conditions.
Both prefer cooler temps and lots of root space or roots will come to top of pot
Stretch is three times at least and both usually will have a lower limb shoot all the way to become a main ( kinda hard to explain )
The 4 will produce solid seed when pollinated
The s1 will produce herm seed when pollinated
the tricomes will get really pointy also with moon cycles (harvest etc )

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I was gonna say... how can you have different phenotypes of a clone-only plant?

Its very possible.

For example,

Lets say we both had the same clone but I flowered mine under 1/23 while you did yours under 12/12. I cant say for sure because I havent done it but I think they would be very different.

Someone please help me out if I am wrong here...

soundman

I was gonna say... how can you have different phenotypes of a clone-only plant?

That, and I've never seen so much as a single banana on that plant after a dozen runs.

GG4 can hermie, intersex. It is documented by well known growers, even Josey if I recall correctly.

S1 seeds are still GG4 but with the gene pool opened up. The GG4 pheno of GG will most likely never be found again from any seed. Just the odds are astronomical.

soundman

Its very possible.

For example,

Lets say we both had the same clone but I flowered mine under 1/23 while you did yours under 12/12. I cant say for sure because I havent done it but I think they would be very different.

Someone please help me out if I am wrong here...

I question if the environmental influenced differences can be considered different phenotypes?

To me, I think you need offspring of some sort other than clone to make phenotypes of a given strain.

Then again what about when those environmental differences create over time stable differing characteristics that can be passed down through breeding?

This is why I don't think much about this. I just like to grow good head stash.

KONY

Veteran
S1 (imo) are like Toyota is to lexus. Sure their made by the same company, but Lexus is far superior to their Toyota counterpart. An s1 will never be a true clone only GG4. Oh and mine are HEAVY feeders. 1480ppm (feed, water, feed, water). If I don't follow this, they start to consume themselves at week 5 like it's week 9.5. 4 yrs going like this.

except for the s1's that are superior to their clone parents. You didn't mention those.

DemonTrich

Veteran
You must be kidding me if you think s1 are superior to the authentic clone only. Lmao

It's a back crossed fake imo.

soundman

except for the s1's that are superior to their clone parents. You didn't mention those.

You must be kidding me if you think s1 are superior to the authentic clone only. Lmao

It's a back crossed fake imo.

Depends what you are judging by.

I agree it will be pretty impossible to match or beat the original clone GG4 in terms of taste. Taste is what GG4 is all about. Lots of other strains can match the resin output etc.

I do however think you can find superior S1 seed plants that are much better than the parent in lots of ways though. Taste too since that is a pretty subjective area.

I pulled a couple samples from my two S1's and neither come close to the GG4 flavor. I can say one if not both are stronger in potency and taste good in their own ways to the parent.

I haven't seen any nanners but we will see when I chop sometime soon. I am at day 63 - 64.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Must be all the s1 and crosses coming out following the 4 cut......which IS the phenotype, its own pheno......so its funny when people ( I was watching YouTube and these dudes were blabbing on about indica dominant phenos that different growers are producing now...... I'm like WTF? do they mean how lock they let it get after 70 days.....? Smh ..... GG4 is what it is because its a one and only! No grower is putting his own spin on the plants mafukkin genetics)

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I can pretty much tell the difference between an indoor gg4 and an outdoor gg4. Phenotypes.

If you chop your gg4 before 8 weeks I can tell you have the early pheno.

We know that all inherited possibilites in the genotype are not expressed in the phenotype. Some people's glue hits 25% and some peoples doesnt, but we all know it can. Some peoples glue gets a little purple, others' don't, but we know it can.

I gotta argue for the magic side on this one.

Phenotypes can and always do change based on environmental influences like food supply or even age.

Imo gg4 is a cultivar not a phenotype.

DemonTrich

Veteran
The authentic gorilla glue 4 clone only can have only 1 phenotype. Not the s1, the real gg4 clone from what 3-4 yrs ago?

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Dont believe me look it up

Dont believe me look it up

I found this looking for more facts to support my argument.

Genotype vs. Phenotype
• Genotype = the genetic makeup of an individual organism.
• Phenotype = the observed characteristic of the organism.
• Through interaction with environment, a genotype is expressed in a phenotype.

PHENOTYPE is the combination of the Genotype plus the environment, soil, water, air, temps, photoperiod, Lumins, fertilizers, pests, etc.
Genotype of a clone does not change grow after grow, the Phenotype of a clone will depending on where and how grown.
-SamS

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
This isnt exactly Sams information.

We all know and understand this. I just dont understand why people still argue against it.

On one hand we say that gg4 can hermie if the environment isnt correct and at the same time we say that environmental influences cant change the phenotype, lol.

Are we even listening to ourselves? Smh.

I have been arguing this since I first joined ic, but was advised to leave it to the folks that have labs and to not even think about it. This imo, is very dangerous and impedes the development of the community.

I actually went back to the wrong terminology even though I knew what I was stating was biologically incorrect.

soundman

We all know and understand this. I just dont understand why people still argue against it.

On one hand we say that gg4 can hermie if the environment isnt correct and at the same time we say that environmental influences cant change the phenotype, lol.

I have been arguing this since I first joined ic, but was advised to leave it to the folks that have labs and to not even think about it. This imo, is very dangerous and impedes the development of the community.

I actually went back to the wrong terminology even though I knew what I was stating was biologically incorrect.

So GG4 is a phenotype of GG genotype? We know there were other seed plants labeled different numbers when GG4 was found.

An S1 from a GG4 clone would be GG genotype? Not GG4?

soundman

Posting conceptual thoughts are hard for me. My brain power and train of thought is bad lately.

If I am right in the post above what would you call the different offspring from S1 seeds of GG4 clone.

I have two so different you wouldn't think they came from same seed stock, One is very close to the clone IMO

If I called them both GG or GG4 I would look crazy.

soundman

Just wanted to say that one of the plants yielded huge. S1 seeds, the GG4 leaner, which is VERY close to the clone, put out about 6 - 7 ounces. The other plant that must be a Sour Dubble leaner. It smells of sweet and sour then like sweet tart candy when broken up. It produced dense clusters of calyxs that are somewhat loosely formed into buds. They break down nicely. That plant put out 10 ounces. It dried a bit more a bit faster too due to bud structure.

I should reverse them and let them make sweet love. The GG4 leaner is the stickiest shit I ever grew. I have grown many elite cuts and know sticky. That plant pissed me off it was too sticky.

There ya go. Two way different phenos and one leans so GG4 it makes me very happy. Both are potent. They compliment each other nicely.

Not bad for a 5x5 tent running two 600's.

Thanks for the great gene pool Josey.

indagroove

Veteran

Stoners don't understand logic sometimes lol. I agree with your assessment, and ofc there's going to be multiple phenotypes, because everyone's growing environment is different. How the environment affects the genetics IS the phenotype. You can grow the same cut in soil outdoor and hydro indoors, and they will technically be two distinct phenotypes. The thing is growers get stuck in their ways of calling a genotype a phenotype, and the confusion persists. Hey, take a look at Robert Clarke is now telling us that everything we thought was Sativa is really Indica or whatever the latest Cannabis classification is.. but how do you think that change will work out in the world of weed lingo?