What's new

Getting ready for 1st Vertical grow

gr866

Veteran
What med values are you looking for?

Back pain, insomnia and general wellness.

I am very disallusioned at this point.

This is a cut and paste from my journal on another site.

Just don't get it I guess, the plants just don't look happy, or maybe seeing them wrong. They will be 3 weeks into flower on Tuesday, planned on doing some minor defo tomorrow as that is what I have read that needs to be done to vertical grows. It is recommended that you remove larf and large fans that are blocking bud sites. I have been tucking leaves behind the screen and only removing them when the bud site has leaves large enough to support the site.

The BC1 still looks like shit, and it just looks to me as if the other two BC's are looking like they are getting thin leaves, all three it is occurring at the upper 8" or so.

Am going to pull the out of the tent tomorrow and check them out good. Have found no pest on the plant, I did find a centipede on the floor of the tent yesterday, but they do not damage or feed on plant material, figure he just squeezed thru one of the tied ports in the tent. So I am at a loss, or guess I am just stumped.

Maybe try switching nutes, I do have a couple of sample bottles of GH cocotek or maybe get some Canna nutes.

Well I will get some pics to post before I make any moves.

GR

chronosync

automatic shoes
Hey man have you thought about pulling the BC1 off the drip and hand feeding? From the last set of pics its the only one that wasn't looking fantastic. I thought they were looking good! Maybe a flush and restart on that one pot will get it back in shape.

Overall your grow is going great and I'm tuned in for sure, I try not to post unless I have something good to offer, I wish I had a solution to your problem other than the flush and baby it.

Its easy to get down on a grow when it starts getting weird, because there's a lot invested etc., don't sweat it just yet you're going to figure it out.

You could try cocotek, its what I use. What are you using now?

O

OG Tree Grower

I would do a thread in the sick plants section, you'll get a lot more help suggestions in there

I have found gods green crack to be valuable for my back pain and it's great daytime smoke
Hard candies made with purged bho at 30-40mg doseages to be the very best for insomnia and I wake up with minimal pain. I have bad arthritis and broke almost every bone in my body while racing bikes when I was younger. So it's a serious pain I'm dealing with and those two are my saviours

gr866

Veteran
Hey man have you thought about pulling the BC1 off the drip and hand feeding? From the last set of pics its the only one that wasn't looking fantastic. I thought they were looking good! Maybe a flush and restart on that one pot will get it back in shape.

Overall your grow is going great and I'm tuned in for sure, I try not to post unless I have something good to offer, I wish I had a solution to your problem other than the flush and baby it.

Its easy to get down on a grow when it starts getting weird, because there's a lot invested etc., don't sweat it just yet you're going to figure it out.

You could try cocotek, its what I use. What are you using now?

General Hydro's Micro and Bloom, Epsom and the additives, cannazym, SM90 and Drip Clean.

gr866

Veteran
Today is day 20 of 12/12

Well things are not much better today. I am really not seeing any growth on any of the plants since I first noticed the problem, what every it is, a few days ago.
I did very minor degf, mainly tucked fans behind screen. Removed maybe a hand full total from all the plants.

Today's numbers
Mix
558, 5.59 pH
Rez Prior
539 ppm,6.04 pH
Rez After
542 ppm, 5.79 pH

The mix ppm's remain the same as I made a new mix out of the old rez mix but adjusted the pH down. The pH seems to climb on me a bit, When I checked it last night I was 5.91 and this morning it was 6.04

I do think I am going to change nutes, I have to into the city to get them so it may not be till later this week. I do have some GH nutes for coco but thinking of going Canna Nutes. I have to get this shit under control. I have lost over a week now with very little growth. I want to see how the addition of Cal/Mag does before I decide to switch.

GR

chronosync

automatic shoes
What about stretch? Its possible they are done with it and gearing up for buds. Calm before the storm?

The only reason I'm not using Canna nutes right now is $$, I have a few gallons CocoTek I was given and its working good for now so I don't have a big reason to switch right now.

gr866

Veteran
What about stretch? Its possible they are done with it and gearing up for buds. Calm before the storm?

The only reason I'm not using Canna nutes right now is $$, I have a few gallons CocoTek I was given and its working good for now so I don't have a big reason to switch right now.

Yes I believe stretch is over, they must be, due to not a lot of growth now.

So, I am going with N toxicity, removed 8 gallons from the 11 +/- gallons in the rez. Did remix and now we have 322 ppm and 5.82 pH. Going to run with this for a bit and see what we get. Can't keep doing the same ol' shit and expect it to get any better.

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions.
GR

O

OG Tree Grower

Gr , I just re read the whole thread in order to try to help ya out here and I just can't pick anything out that's alarming or way off.

I'm also all about running lower ppms these days 800-1000 to be specific , tho I don't let it get below 600 parts because I don't like having big ph or ppm swings and my plants seem to eat about 200 ppm a day when there in full swing.

I don't believe you have a nitrogen toxicity for two reasons, one being the low ppm dose your feeding them and the second reason is nitrogen is being used up more than the other nutrients up until week 4 flower. And also your plants arnt a dark shity green

What dhf said about that plant or strain maybe needing to be hand watered and taken off the blu mat system is a good start.

Did you flush that pot out for a day with adjusted ro water? Did you test the runoff?

Do you have a scope to inspect for broad mites? There hard buggers to spot even with a scope

Does that pot stay a bit wetter than the other pots?

Are any of the bottom leaves showing any signs of deficiency ?

Are you 100% certian your adding your nutrients up right, do you have any precipitation (drop out) in your res?

Have you pulled the plant out to look for root rot?

gr866

Veteran
Gr , I just re read the whole thread in order to try to help ya out here and I just can't pick anything out that's alarming or way off.

Well I am beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out. :wallbash:

I'm also all about running lower ppms these days 800-1000 to be specific , tho I don't let it get below 600 parts because I don't like having big ph or ppm swings and my plants seem to eat about 200 ppm a day when there in full swing.

I am not having big pH swings, maybe, .1 to .15 after the mix has been in the rez for 1 to 2 days. And I have been running in the 5 to 600 range.

I don't believe you have a nitrogen toxicity for two reasons, one being the low ppm dose your feeding them and the second reason is nitrogen is being used up more than the other nutrients up until week 4 flower. And also your plants arnt a dark shity green

I have not run over 4ml GH micro/gallon. My normal rez mix is 3 to 4 ml micro, 5 to 6 ml Bloom, 8 ml cannazym, 2 ml SM 90 and .4 ml drip clean.

What dhf said about that plant or strain maybe needing to be hand watered and taken off the blu mat system is a good start.

I do plan on continuing using the Blumats but I will be flushing that one plant with the lower ppm and proper pH'ed water at least weekly. Will also do any other plant the may need it also.

Did you flush that pot out for a day with adjusted ro water?3 yo32
Do you have a scope to inspect for broad mites? There hard buggers to spot even with a scope

So today, three weeks into 12/12, I flushed with a 310 ppm and 5.85 pH solution at 2 gallons per pot. Let it drain, did check one pot for ppm and pH, got 1100 ppm and a 4.85 ph. I then place the plants back into the tent, filled the rez's with 310 ppm and 5.88 pH, flushed out the 8mm line and rehooked the Blumats to the rez.
I am just not sure what else to do, I plan on a weekly flush and keep my rez numbers in the 300 range and 5.8 to 6.0 pH.

Does that pot stay a bit wetter than the other pots?

No

Are any of the bottom leaves showing any signs of deficiency ?

Here is the pic of the lower part of the plant in question, and these are old leaves.

Are you 100% certian your adding your nutrients up right, do you have any precipitation (drop out) in your res?

I am using oral syringes for all my measurements. Not sure what drop out is, but in the rez after a day to day + when I check the rez for ppm and pH prior to mixing and adding additional nutes my ppm's stay relatively constant but the pH rises a bit.
The way I do my mix is, first I check the rez for ppm and pH, then I make my mix to adjust to any fluctuation in the rez. I add the mix to the rez and check the ppm and pH again to make sure my numbers are good and if there needs to be any adjusting I do it at that point.
Ex. if the rez is 580 ppm I will add less ferts to get the ppm in the 500 to 550 range, adjust the pH to 5.8 to 6, in the rez itself, by adding the up or down to the lower rez, give it time to adjust then take the readings again, adjust till it get my numbers correct.

Have you pulled the plant out to look for root rot?

No, they are in smart pots, not way to achieve that.

Thanks for your help bud.

GR

O

OG Tree Grower

So today, three weeks into 12/12, I flushed with a 310 ppm and 5.85 pH solution at 2 gallons per pot. Let it drain, did check one pot for ppm and pH, got 1100 ppm and a 4.85 ph. I then place the plants back into the tent, filled the rez's with 310 ppm and 5.88 pH, flushed out the 8mm line and rehooked the Blumats to the rez.
I am just not sure what else to do, I plan on a weekly flush and keep my rez numbers in the 300 range and 5.8 to 6.0 pH.

Am I reading that right? Your runoff is 1100 ppm and ph is 4.85?

If so flush with 6.0 ro water ,no nutes, use 3-4times as much water as pot size and things should start to clear up in 3-4 days

gr866

Veteran
Am I reading that right? Your runoff is 1100 ppm and ph is 4.85?

If so flush with 6.0 ro water ,no nutes, use 3-4times as much water as pot size and things should start to clear up in 3-4 days

Have unlimited, well I have 10 - 23 gallon black molasses tubs that holds rain water. Put 17 + gallons in a 20 gallon tank, added 0.4 ml Drip Clean/gal and pH'ed to 5.85, starting first flush.
1 gallon per plant, let sit for a bit, then another gallon, let sit, then another gallon, then just divide the remaining liquid between the 5 plants. Will collect runoff after each gallon and do measurements.

Have 15 gallons of RO water, add 0.4 ml Drip Clean/gal and pH'ed to 5.8. Then follow the same routine for flush.

At that point I would hope to be rid of any bad shit causing my problem. I will move them into the tent but not hook up to the rez.
I plan on going into the city tomorrow and go by my Hydro shop and pick up some Canna nutes. Upon returning I will mix up a batch of Canna nutes do a two gallon per plant flush and start using the rez with the new nutes. Thinking since their not growth much they should be ok for a day till I can get the new rez ready.

I will look up the best rates to use on the forum or should I just go with the recommended rates?

I know I will be blessed with a wonderful crop at some point.

GR

Tri_Cho_Me

Sorry I`ve missed your bean sproutin bro.....I made a post about lighting for seeds compared to the same for rooting cuts not too long ago , and my old timers disease and bong sessions make me plum forget what thread and where.....but....

I`m gonna give yas some advice from personal experience of never using anything but bare bulbs in my bloom rooms over a 20 yr period indoors......first off....

Always use T-5`s for vegging seedlings with the fixture right down on top of em , cuz what radiant heat the fixture makes will produce more frequent drying sequences that will guarantee explosive root growth while preventing stretch and promoting node stacking and lateral limb development.......8 bulb 432 watt fixtures worked best for me with smaller plants....

Hey man, question for you. How big of a space do you have your 8 bulb T5 setup in? I am looking to purchase something for a new mother/veg room I am setting up. Maybe you can help me out?

Below is picture of the space. It is 18x33x26 inches.
Would a 4 bulb, 2 ft, T5 setup be ok for this space?
Recommend any brands, stores, setups?

Thank you!
Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• IMG_5240.jpg
    IMG_5240.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 16

Mr. Miyagi

Hey man, question for you. How big of a space do you have your 8 bulb T5 setup in? I am looking to purchase something for a new mother/veg room I am setting up. Maybe you can help me out?

Thank you!
Tri_Cho_Me

Hey Tri,

Is that LxWxH? If so, Is there anyway you can increase the height? 26" of head space isn't alot to flower in..esp considering the smart pot itseld is at least 6" tall. Bulb setup is about 3-4inches high, so that only leaves roughly ~16" of growing space..... if your height is 33" that's better, it gives you 23" of headroom. Which is much better to work with. T8's can get fairly warm....

Do you have adequate ventilation setup for this?

gr866

Veteran

Thank you!
Tri_Cho_Me

Please take your conversation somewhere else, I am trying to get some answers in my thread here.

GR

gr866

Veteran
Hey Tri,

Is that LxWxH? If so, Is there anyway you can increase the height? 26" of head space isn't alot to flower in..esp considering the smart pot itseld is at least 6" tall. Bulb setup is about 3-4inches high, so that only leaves roughly ~16" of growing space..... if your height is 33" that's better, it gives you 23" of headroom. Which is much better to work with. T8's can get fairly warm....

Do you have adequate ventilation setup for this?

Ditto what I just told Tri,

Mr. Miyagi, you have provided me with some advice so I am not being disrespectful, just when I open my thread expecting to see some answers to my question, I get others in a totally different conversation.

GR

gr866

Veteran
Do you empty your res and start fresh every time?

No but I take my reading before adding to the rez and I adjust to my goal pH and ppm and try and get as close to that number as possible.
Goal was 500 ppm and 5.8 ph.

I am getting some crazy reading from this flush.

GR